Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 45
  1. #16
    Amazing Member 'Dax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Johns was not the first to put Steve Trevor on the sidelines. Trevor has had much less of a role in Wonder Woman books since Pérez. Trevor actually feels like he is more relevant than ever with The New 52.

    Anyway, I asked this same question when I first joined these boards about a year ago (?). I highly recommend The Circle by Gail Simone and "A Day in the Life" by Phil Jimenez. Most people would agree that the beginning of Simone's run was good. It gets pretty ugly, pretty fast after The Circle though. Also, if you really want to understand Wonder Woman, you need to go back to her most definitive runs: Marston and Pérez. Her Golden Age stories are very much dated, but Marston had a very specific and clear vision of his character, which no writer has really done justice. And like you mentioned yourself, Pérez reinvented her for a new generation.

    Also, Earth One by Morrison should be interesting. He has always had distinctive ideas about and insights into these age-old characters.

  2. #17
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk80 View Post
    She lacks the intelligence, the grace, the royalty and the ability to anticipate the actions of the enemies of her previous self. She is only able to react. No basic strategic ability.
    And the compassion? She trust everyone, sure... but it's more naivety than compassion...
    No she really trust in people, she can make mistake with some. She wants to give a 2nd chance to people, this is noble not naive.
    she have her strategy, but like real life she can't antecipate 100% of events.

    Johns wasn't the first, but he had the face to bring Steve in the right age just to split WW and trevor.
    I heard Perez didn't thought Trevor wasn't man enough to date WW or something like this. I don't know if it's true, but anyway he made a huge mistake.
    Last edited by Blacksun; 07-20-2014 at 02:48 PM.

  3. #18
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The north.
    Posts
    1,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk80 View Post
    Those who like Azzarello's run probably never liked WW much, didn't cared about her or never read about her.
    How would you feel/react if someone wrote this but instead mentioning a run you really liked?
    Last edited by borntohula; 07-20-2014 at 02:53 PM.

  4. #19
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    5,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Steve Trevor the first one to ignore it was Johns...who knows if Azz wanted him to show up somehow and couldn't because of editorial. he probably is in her origin tale

    Why do you think Azz wouldn't be allowed to use Steve just because Johns was using him? Johns is far from the only writer to use Steve in the New 52 as the following other writers have used Steve:


    Jeff Lemire - Justice League Dark
    Charles Soule - Superman/Wonder Woman
    Sterling Gates - A.R.G.U.S.


    and that's just off the top of my head.
    Currently/Soon Reading: Black Manta, Blue & Gold, Infinite Frontier, Justice League/Justice League Dark, Justice League Infinity, Nubia & the Amazons, & Wonder Woman.

  5. #20
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    5,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    How would you feel/react if someone wrote this but instead mentioning a run you really liked?

    While I can't speak for Hawk80, I have seen a good number of comic readers make recent comments along the lines that Hawk80 suggested. In fact, even a bunch of the comic site review people have made comments similar to those that Hawk80 listed. I'm sure that doesn't include everyone that likes Azz's run but it has been at least a semi-frequent thing when it comes to those voicing their opinions online from what I've seen.
    Currently/Soon Reading: Black Manta, Blue & Gold, Infinite Frontier, Justice League/Justice League Dark, Justice League Infinity, Nubia & the Amazons, & Wonder Woman.

  6. #21
    Fantastic Member Hawk80's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    While I can't speak for Hawk80, I have seen a good number of comic readers make recent comments along the lines that Hawk80 suggested. In fact, even a bunch of the comic site review people have made comments similar to those that Hawk80 listed. I'm sure that doesn't include everyone that likes Azz's run but it has been at least a semi-frequent thing when it comes to those voicing their opinions online from what I've seen.
    This is what I was trying to say. No more, no less.

  7. #22
    Wonder Moderator Gaelforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,673

    Default

    Okay, enough talking about what fans do and do not like Azzarello.

    Back to the topic, please
    Gaelforce
    Superman/Wonder Woman/TV Film Forum Moderator
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

  8. #23
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Why do you think Azz wouldn't be allowed to use Steve just because Johns was using him? Johns is far from the only writer to use Steve in the New 52 as the following other writers have used Steve:


    Jeff Lemire - Justice League Dark
    Charles Soule - Superman/Wonder Woman
    Sterling Gates - A.R.G.U.S.


    and that's just off the top of my head.
    Argus was a mini made to feature trevor, so it doesn't count.
    JLD he didn't interacted with WW.
    smww was just to put him down.

    and there was johns using him, the many times results in "my toys".

    if azz had any intentions of making him have a good relationshio with WW, I doubt they would let it happen. there isn't any mention of steve in the new run.

  9. #24
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    5,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Argus was a mini made to feature trevor, so it doesn't count.
    JLD he didn't interacted with WW.
    smww was just to put him down.

    and there was johns using him, the many times results in "my toys".

    if azz had any intentions of making him have a good relationshio with WW, I doubt they would let it happen. there isn't any mention of steve in the new run.


    My point was that other writers besides Johns have been able to use Steve. As for the current run of Wonder Woman being void of Steve, it's void of ALL of Diana's non-mythological supporting cast and villains. No Steve, Etta, Nemesis, Cheetah, Giganta, Dr. Psycho, Queen Clea, etc.
    Currently/Soon Reading: Black Manta, Blue & Gold, Infinite Frontier, Justice League/Justice League Dark, Justice League Infinity, Nubia & the Amazons, & Wonder Woman.

  10. #25
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    My point was that other writers besides Johns have been able to use Steve. As for the current run of Wonder Woman being void of Steve, it's void of ALL of Diana's non-mythological supporting cast and villains. No Steve, Etta, Nemesis, Cheetah, Giganta, Dr. Psycho, Queen Clea, etc.
    because some writer could do something doesn't mean other writer could do it. Snyder could use Lois, but Pak couldn't.
    Steve was mentioned in #19 different from these other characters

  11. #26
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    18,464

    Default

    There is no evidence whatsoever that Azzarello was forbidden by DC to use Steve. The outstanding likelihood without any more info is that Steve was absent because Azzarello himself had no desire to use him.

    And the only reason why Pak couldn't utilize Lois while Snyder was able to is because Pak was working strictly within the continuity in which there were already plans for Lois involving Brainiac, the basis of which made her ill-fitting for the role Pak wrote Lana in. Unchained on the other had is basically in its own self-contained world, it wasn't designed to follow anything in the two main books.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-20-2014 at 04:50 PM.

  12. #27
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    5,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    because some writer could do something doesn't mean other writer could do it. Snyder could use Lois, but Pak couldn't.
    Steve was mentioned in #19 different from these other characters

    Well, it seems strange to me that Johns, Lemire, Soule, and Gates could all use Steve and only Azzarello couldn't.
    Currently/Soon Reading: Black Manta, Blue & Gold, Infinite Frontier, Justice League/Justice League Dark, Justice League Infinity, Nubia & the Amazons, & Wonder Woman.

  13. #28
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    The Mitten
    Posts
    18

    Default

    OK whoa folks! I didn't mean to start any conflicts just wanted some advice. I'm glad you're all so passionate about the character! This is why I chose to pose the question to you
    You all know your stuff and you love WW through and through. I'll read the current run (really not thrilled about the next team coming in though just from personal experience) and I'll check out Perez, Simone, Jeminez, and Rucka. I'll even go back and dig into the old Marston stuff if only to see the original vision for the character. Hell, Marston was interesting enough in real life. Thank you for all of your support and i hope I'll one day dig Diana as much as you all do. She seems like a WONDERFUL character (sorry lol)!

  14. #29
    Mighty Member Stormcrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    1,798

    Default

    As a newly converted fan, I'd say Azzarello's run worked all right as an introduction to the character for me. First time I ever picked up a WW comic book, and it encouraged me to learn more about her and check out her previous portrayals. And the Cliff Chiang artwork is magnificent, probably my favorite depiction of Diana.

    But reading a bit more of her past publications, the current run doesn't really have much focus on her as it is very plot-driven. George Pérez run is a good place to start getting to know more of Diana's history and mission, its really interesting to contrast that take on her origins to the one we're dealing with right now. And while Phil Jimenez run had a lot of editorial interference, he has a really good perception of the character and there were some excellent issues within his run.

    I'd also recommend Greg Rucka's run for a more modern take on her, and the Allan Heinberg's relaunch that continues from there was fun. Beyond that, I enjoyed The Circle despite not being a Gail Simone fan, but her run missed the mark for me after that.

    That's as far as I've gotten, and I'm looking into the Marston stuff now. We'll see how that goes.

  15. #30
    Incredible Member napolid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    I'm in a glass case of emotion!
    Posts
    650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peterob View Post
    OK whoa folks! I didn't mean to start any conflicts just wanted some advice. I'm glad you're all so passionate about the character! This is why I chose to pose the question to you
    You all know your stuff and you love WW through and through. I'll read the current run (really not thrilled about the next team coming in though just from personal experience) and I'll check out Perez, Simone, Jeminez, and Rucka. I'll even go back and dig into the old Marston stuff if only to see the original vision for the character. Hell, Marston was interesting enough in real life. Thank you for all of your support and i hope I'll one day dig Diana as much as you all do. She seems like a WONDERFUL character (sorry lol)!
    Welcome to the Wonder Woman forum.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •