Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default New reader trying to get a grasp on WW as a character

Hey everybody! I'm a long time Marvel reader that has recently become very interested in WW. I only have a working, cursory understanding of her and I'd like to know more. I'm fascinated at her legacy, her impact on society, and the so called impossible task of writing her (or so I've heard). It's so interesting that she's the most famous female superhero ever created but has no recent films (outside of the animated one) and what seems like limited / inconsistent support from DC. She's seems like such a rich and deep character with a VERY unique worldview and mission. There really isn't another hero like her and that has caught my attention. That being said, I've read about her creator William Marston, what she means to gay men and women, what she means to feminists, what she means to straight men and women, and what she means to comic book culture. What I need to do now is to read the actual COMIC. Where should I start? What stories represent her best? The current run is mostly celebrated but I've also heard it's not exactly true to the core of the character. I've also heard a lot about the Perez run and how he basically reinvented her. Phil Jeminez was also a name that came up in my research, and his ideas were intriguing but his run was cut short due to being unpopular (or so I hear). Simone popped up too but apparently most people thought it was hit or miss. So I ask you folks that love and know the character best: Where do I start?

This current run is true to her character, imo, but I find that it really changes a lot of her world, pretty much everything apart from her characterisation gets switched up and people like it or hate it.

I would recommend Perez' run, his first trade is pretty much regarded as the definitive origin story for Diana he gives her a motivation and a mission, Azzerello's run is good, but you won't find out why she left Themyscira and came to man's world, how she got started out, why she was called Wonder Woman, some basic questions that get answered in Perez' run.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Step View Post
    I would recommend Perez' run, his first trade is pretty much regarded as the definitive origin story for Diana he gives her a motivation and a mission, Azzerello's run is good, but you won't find out why she left Themyscira and came to man's world, how she got started out, why she was called Wonder Woman, some basic questions that get answered in Perez' run.
    Well you will get that towards the ending of the current run, since Azzarello often reveals the beginning in the end of his longer runs.

Besides that, I agree with Step. Either Perez or Azzarello's run. Both have a certain vertigo feel that makes the book to stand out. Both of them writes a very strong and good willed Diana. Azzarello's differs a bit since he makes her mercy etc. both her biggest strength and her biggest flaw. His book is also entering some serious meta territory towards it's end, so it only gets more and more interesting

I'm not the biggest fan of Marston's original, but I find it quite interesting. Will definitely look up the upcoming news paper strip collection of his Wonder Woman.

Grant Morrison's upcomming Wonder Woman book also looks interesting. Especially since his Batman and Superman more or less felt like a definitive (least for me.) story for both the characters
    Last edited by borntohula; 07-20-2014 at 12:27 AM.

All-New Member

Thanks! I really appreciate the responses. I know you probably get this type of question a lot around here. I'll go check out the Perez and Azzarello runs. I actually forgot about the Grant Morrison "Earth 1" book! I'll probably check it out too once it hits the shelves.

It's really funny how I got into her. Even though I'm not a DC customer (except Vertigo) I always keep up with what's going on with them because I love comics. I was actually very excited about the NU 52 as it would have given me a chance to dive into characters I'd only experienced in other media. However once it happened it looked like mess and kind of turned me off. Books were being canceled, the creative team shuffling, the weird "5 years of history for everyone else but Batman is pretty much the same" stuff and all that. I just gave up. Started reading about WW in a blog by Kelly Thompson on CBR and decided to dig a little deeper.

Wonder Woman is so complex! A warrior on a mission of peace, willing and trained to kill but an ambassador of love, from an isolated society but a champion of acceptance and equality. A demigod living among humans, an amazon in "man's world" / fish out of water, in DC's "big three" but really isn't getting much love from the company. Popular as all hell and instantly recognized the world over and yet still not a media icon on modern TV and film. As an outsider looking in I just don't get why she is so hard to market. This maybe be a little naive but in my mind if Marvel can sell Thor to the masses why can't DC push WW to the forefront?

Extraordinary Member

I was in your shoes also buddy! Don't worry. WW is full of rich mythology. And yes, WB/DC need to push WW hard!

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I would have to agree that the current run isn't very in character. Don't get me wrong, Azzarello does understand Diana's compassionate side but after that, a lot of everything else either is distorted or falls flat. If you really want to get a good grasp on who Wonder Woman is, read the first two years of the runs by Marston, Perez, and Jiminez. If you like those, try the runs by Thomas, Messener-Loebs, Byrne, Luke, Rucka, Heinberg, and Simone. They all offer a very broad view of the various aspects of Wonder Woman and her world. While there are a few differences in their portrayals, the core of the character is there plus you'll get to meet her iconic supporting cast and villains(most of which are absent from the current run).
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Just read the current run. Azzarello is the best thing to ever happen to Wonder Woman.

Those who like Azzarello's run probably never liked WW much, didn't cared about her or never read about her. She's almost unrecognizable by her old fans.
    New52 has different origins, slightly different powers, moderately different characterization, different cast, different opponents, different thematics...

I'd say Perez, Rucka and Simone. Oh, and "Wonder Woman: Hiketeia"!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk80 View Post
    Those who like Azzarello's run probably never liked WW much, didn't cared about her or never read about her. She's almost unrecognizable by her old fans.
    New52 has different origins, slightly different powers, moderately different characterization, different cast, different opponents, different thematics...

As someone who himself has struggled to like Azzarello's run, I don't think this is true. I see a lot of old WW fans who like this run and even some people who have never liked WW still say that they don't like her. As to the topic, I echo Perez and Rucka. I'd also recommedn Wonder Woman: Golden Perfect, Wonder Woman: League of One and The Hiketeia.

All-New Member

I see that Perez is a constant and I'm looking forward to picking up his TPB's this week. The last few posts are echoing a lot of what I've been hearing about the current run. What is it about this take on Wonder Woman this is so divisive? The only thing I really know about it for sure is that it is violent. I can't offer any personal critique as I have no reference point as to what was before. I'm still going to read it as it has been recommended repeatedly, but I'd like to hear about some specific problems that you guys have with it if you care to share.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by peterob View Post
    Thanks! I really appreciate the responses. I know you probably get this type of question a lot around here. I'll go check out the Perez and Azzarello runs. I actually forgot about the Grant Morrison "Earth 1" book! I'll probably check it out too once it hits the shelves.

It's really funny how I got into her. Even though I'm not a DC customer (except Vertigo) I always keep up with what's going on with them because I love comics. I was actually very excited about the NU 52 as it would have given me a chance to dive into characters I'd only experienced in other media. However once it happened it looked like mess and kind of turned me off. Books were being canceled, the creative team shuffling, the weird "5 years of history for everyone else but Batman is pretty much the same" stuff and all that. I just gave up. Started reading about WW in a blog by Kelly Thompson on CBR and decided to dig a little deeper.

Wonder Woman is so complex! A warrior on a mission of peace, willing and trained to kill but an ambassador of love, from an isolated society but a champion of acceptance and equality. A demigod living among humans, an amazon in "man's world" / fish out of water, in DC's "big three" but really isn't getting much love from the company. Popular as all hell and instantly recognized the world over and yet still not a media icon on modern TV and film. As an outsider looking in I just don't get why she is so hard to market. This maybe be a little naive but in my mind if Marvel can sell Thor to the masses why can't DC push WW to the forefront?
    the problem is for who you will market her. For girls/women it is pretty easy.

I will add Rucka's run, it is pretty good with good WW moments and of course his one shot Hiketeia that has batman as guest star

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk80 View Post

oh too bad WW changed from a compassionate and brave hero to a compassionate and brave hero. Her characterization is pretty constant from other runs like Simone and Rucka.
    I started with Azz run, then got to read simone and Rucka.
    Last edited by Blacksun; 07-20-2014 at 12:22 PM.

Mighty Member

I see that Perez is a constant and I'm looking forward to picking up his TPB's this week. The last few posts are echoing a lot of what I've been hearing about the current run. What is it about this take on Wonder Woman this is so divisive? The only thing I really know about it for sure is that it is violent. I can't offer any personal critique as I have no reference point as to what was before. I'm still going to read it as it has been recommended repeatedly, but I'd like to hear about some specific problems that you guys have with it if you care to share.
    It's pretty much as with any book getting a new creative team. Just look at the recent Batman, which one is best of Morrison or Snyder's. Stuff in a book that some loath can be the thing others love. New and old alike.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I think a large reason for the divisiveness comes from the drastic changes to aspects of Wonder Woman's world made by Azzarello. He's changed her origin, turned her mother into an accomplice of an adulterous affair, made her sisters(the Amazons) into man-hating, baby-trading, sex pirates, ignored her rogues gallery and the rest of her supporting cast like Steve Trevor, and has all but disconnected her from the rest of the DC Universe. When you add up all of these(and other things in the run), the run as it stands just doesn't sit well with some of us established fans.
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 07-20-2014 at 02:40 PM.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Steve Trevor the first one to ignore it was Johns...who knows if Azz wanted him to show up somehow and couldn't because of editorial. he probably is in her origin tale

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    oh too bad WW changed from a compassionate and brave hero to a compassionate and brave hero. Her characterization is pretty constant from other runs like Simone and Rucka.
    I started with Azz run, then got to read simone and Rucka.
    She lacks the intelligence, the grace, the royalty and the ability to anticipate the actions of the enemies of her previous self. She is only able to react. No basic strategic ability.
    And the compassion? She trust everyone, sure... but it's more naivety than compassion...