Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spectacular Member RoamingGnome8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Live action, obviously, did tremendous. Her animated film didn't, though.

Of course, with the success of her film, that should no longer be a demerit. A recent box office smash should supersede a nine year old, direct-to-dvd, lukewarm animated movie.

Long story short though, the answer is the same for her as it is other characters; they're too busy with Batman projects.
    The animated film... wasn't great, though.
    There's a lot of problems with it, from Steve Trevor being really sckevvy (comic book Steve would never try to get Diana drunk to sleep with him, comic book Steve listens to Diana's opinion around gender without deflecting/mansplaining), to a kind of subpar plot and action sequences .

The reason the live action film was successful was because it had clear elements from George Perez, Marston, Azzarello, Gail Simone, Rucka, etc. It did a good job of incorporating WW's messages of love and hope. The animated film was so stuck on making some questionable message around gender, that we didn't see anything relating to Diana as a character.

Maybe it's best if DC/WB stay away from WW content from now on.
    Last edited by greymoon; 05-16-2018 at 04:17 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I just don't think they were prepared for the amount of love for Wonder Woman. But like you, I am really surprised they haven't even implied that she'll be getting one.

And the fact that they haven't even announced a new animated movie is disgusting.
    Agreed, they weren't prepared for the success. But I think we've gotten far enough past that that they should at least be considering some DTVs by now. If they are, I wish they'd make an announcement.

Do we really need another Death of Superman adaptation (which I don't even want as a fan of Superman)?

Quote Originally Posted by greymoon View Post
    Maybe it's best if DC/WB stay away from WW content from now on.
    Less content is the last thing the character needs, especially as they've proven that they can deliver in at least one medium.

What if then a fan made a movie? If fans of Wonder Woman could make a trailer for Wonder Woman why not fans make a movie or series?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I just don't think they were prepared for the amount of love for Wonder Woman. But like you, I am really surprised they haven't even implied that she'll be getting one.

And the fact that they haven't even announced a new animated movie is disgusting.
    @the bolded: I do agree with this statement. They definitely didn't expect people would latch onto Wonder Woman the way that they did.

I would love another animated movie, but not if the people from the last batch of animated flicks are behind it. I liked JL: War and Justice League Dark well enough, but the others look so cheap.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Agreed, they weren't prepared for the success. But I think we've gotten far enough past that that they should at least be considering some DTVs by now. If they are, I wish they'd make an announcement.

Do we really need another Death of Superman adaptation (which I don't even want as a fan of Superman)?

Less content is the last thing the character needs, especially as they've proven that they can deliver in at least one medium.
    I 100% agree about Death of Superman; it looks like another train wreck like the first one. I don't understand why you'd adapt a popular comic if you aren't going to follow the source material?
    The only reason I would ever watch it is if they have Superboy included in the sequel, wearing the 90's costume and with his comic book personality.

If they do another WW animated film I hope they get some consultants that have previously written her solo book, like Greg Rucka.
    Last edited by RoamingGnome8; 05-17-2018 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoamingGnome8 View Post
    I 100% agree about Death of Superman; it looks like another train wreck like the first one. I don't understand why you'd adapt a popular comic if you aren't going to follow the source material?
    The only reason I would ever watch it is if they have Superboy included in the sequel, wearing the 90's costume and with his comic book personality.

If they do another WW animated film I hope they get some consultants that have previously written her solo book, like Greg Rucka.
    I believe because it's how they plan on transitioning into a Rebirth for the DCOAU. Supes will die, come back in black, and then switch to wearing his Reborn outfit. He'll probably end up marrying Lois as well.

I'd love to see Rucka write a Wondy movie like how Tomasi is writing the script for this version of DoS.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What if then a fan made a movie? If fans of Wonder Woman could make a trailer for Wonder Woman why not fans make a movie or series?
    There's a world of difference between making a fan trailer and making a movie or a series. That's a huge commitment for anyone to do for free. And that's not even mentioning WB/DC slapping them with a cease and desist order at any moment.

BANNED

Her animated movie was good and she featured prominently in the Justice League series. After Lynda Cater that's my fav. version/voice of Diana's

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Her animated movie was good and she featured prominently in the Justice League series. After Lynda Cater that's my fav. version/voice of Diana's
    Lynda Carter is my favorite version of Diana as well, followed by the live action movie.

Her portrayal in Bruce Timm's DCAU was decent and had its moments ('Savage Time', for example) but I never really felt like he got Diana 100% right. The episode that always stands out to me was JLU's 'Hawk and Dove', because Diana even on a bad day isn't really violent- she's a warrior that always tries to find a more peaceful solution. Her flying off the handle just didn't feel like Diana to me.
    I've also disliked linking her up with Batman; while I initially liked it when I first watched the series, as I've gotten older I just feel more and more like pairing her up with either Trinity members always leads to Diana as a person being somewhat lost. The focus of the relationship almost inevitably turns towards Superman or Batman.

I really disliked the animated film because I think it has so many problems- from Steve Trevor's represention, to the problematic messages about gender, to it kind of dragging towards the end.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I never liked the character while watching the DCAU as a kid. I saw zero appeal until I started reading some comics and saw how much they got wrong.

I don't love YJ as much as most people seem to, but Greg Weisman would be a better choice for a WW cartoon than Bruce Timm. I think he does better with clear leads than YJ, where a common criticism is not enough focus on all the characters. Gargoyles was far better, but that at least had the very firm leads in Goliath and Eliza. Spectacular Spider-Man was great too and it had a solo hero. So I think a WW solo cartoon could be up his alley.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 05-17-2018 at 05:50 PM.

The original DCAU Wonder Woman is basically an insult to the mythos, IMO. Any future project be it an animated film or a series needs to stay as divorced from that influence as humanly possible.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-17-2018 at 05:55 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I think James Tucker mentioned in an interview that WB was looking to develop more Wonder Woman animated movies, so those might yet be in development.
    Well, at least this time they're covering Reign of the Supermen.

I think a great idea for the first season would be Wonder Woman coming to our world and facing the great adventures/problems that come with it. Like The Legend of Korra season 1 (they're pretty similar now that I think about it).

Ok, so before the Korra comparrison I would suggest an episodic/case of the week series but in the age of binge watching....

No. And coming from a diehard fan of Superman, and one whose entrance to the mythos WAS the original Death of Superman and still hold it in high regard today, I'm becoming more and more of the opinion that it needs to be retired from practice and reference. For his own good because his caretakers have shamelessly abused it beyond all meaning. And as time goes on it just gets worse. Its become something that in DC's mind has to happen in any incarnation right now, and its just become absolutely ridiculous. They have no self-control over the concept.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-17-2018 at 09:33 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    I think a great idea for the first season would be Wonder Woman coming to our world and facing the great adventures/problems that come with it. Like The Legend of Korra season 1 (they're pretty similar now that I think about it).

Ok, so before the Korra comparrison I would suggest an episodic/case of the week series but in the age of binge watching....
    Korra/Avatar's "Bryke" are too perfect for a Wonder Woman animated series. Even Steven Universe's Rebecca Sugar would be great at it.

I also agree that the animated movie while competent and far from the worst of DC's Direct to Video offerings, wasn't all that. So dunno why DC is using that as a gauge to measure the success of an animated Wonder Woman solo show.