Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Well, Batman can cast spells, so.....

However, it seems he has a distaste for using it. If people he trusts uses it, like Zatanna for instance, he's okay. But he rarely uses magic (if ever, that I recall).

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I like this. Let me take it one step further:

Superman - Sun (Son)

Batman - Night (Knight)

Wonder Woman - Air (Heir)

Diana needs a nickname as versatile at imagery as Last Son and Dark Knight respectively are for Clark and Bruce.

What's a good adjective for Air that can also be used for Heir?

Wonder Woman - the Pure Heir?

Eh, I'm still workshopping this ...
    Man of Steel and Last Son
    Dark Knight and Caped Crusader
    Amazing Amazon and Princess of Power (I don't think the latter was used much after She-Ra hit the scene and copyrighting probably happened.)

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    There was a story (I think in Birds of Prey) where Black Alice borrows Wonder Woman's magic and utilizes some of her powers. The problem is even with the clay origin I don't see Diana herself as being magical after her initial creation, her tools are. The lasso is magical, the atom cutting sword is magical, but it's not as if Diana herself has spell casting abilities or is a typical magic manipulator.
    Yeah, I feel the same. I think I remember that story with Black Alice too. To me Wonder Woman is a bad example of Black Alice's abilities. I get Zatanna or Doctor Fate and Shazam or Black Adam with their magic connections, but Diana doesn't make any more sense than Kal-El would to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    However, it seems he has a distaste for using it. If people he trusts uses it, like Zatanna for instance, he's okay. But he rarely uses magic (if ever, that I recall).
    1. He is in contact with the 'underground magic black market' where he purchased the anti-lasso of truth to use on Diana.
    2. Zatanna taught him a spell which he used on Circe that stripped her of her magic for one hour (if I recall correctly)
    3. He used a spell from Zatanna to drive Deadman out of Superman

So yeah, he deals with magical artifacts and spells if he wants

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Should Diana be able to use magic? I would say it should be something deeply locked something she can't use unless it's last option
    I'm not a fan of Diana casting spells or hurling hexes...she has an enviable power set as it is. Leave the spellcraft, curses, and incantations to Jinx, Circe, Extraño, Doctor Fate, Wotan, Prairie Witch, Morgan le Fay, etc. If she's using enchanted items (like the lasso of Gauntlet of Atlas) I'm okay with that, because anyone could pick up a magical weapon and use it.

I've come around to Diana leading the No Justice team of Wonder, but I hope she's not using magic in it.

Um, Diana's powers come from a magical source. That's why she's considered a magical being and Clark isn't.

Diana's powers come from the gods who are magical beings. That is why she's considered a magical creature and Clark isn't.

Spectacular Member

1. He is in contact with the 'underground magic black market' where he purchased the anti-lasso of truth to use on Diana.
    2. Zatanna taught him a spell which he used on Circe that stripped her of her magic for one hour (if I recall correctly)
    3. He used a spell from Zatanna to drive Deadman out of Superman

So yeah, he deals with magical artifacts and spells if he wants
    I call that spell "Esuaceb m'i namtaB."

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Um, Diana's powers come from a magical source. That's why she's considered a magical being and Clark isn't.
    Eh, we don't think of the gods in the same way. They're powerful in their own ways and can transform into their symbolic animal or disguise their form, but they're not all running around casting spells like Circe. My take is they gave Diana her gifts and that finitely transformed her physiology into something else, but that doesn't leave remnants of magic about her or make her inherently tied to the magic vibes and frequencies floating around the DCU.

Different strokes, different folks I guess.

I'd be interested in DC developing different types and sources of magic in the DCU. Something divine that only deities tap into, maybe an eldritch-y source for natural magics that affect air, water, earth, and other elements, probability & backwards talking, etc. It'd be a lot to map out, but it might be interesting with characters being able to tap into or learn one or more disciplines over time. <shrugs shoulders>

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Should Diana be able to use magic? I would say it should be something deeply locked something she can't use unless it's last option
    Personally, no. Not to any great extent. Maybe she could read or participate in a spell in the event of an emergency if Zatanna or Constantine need her assistance with something.

BUT, magical / mystical artefacts and weapons - definitely YES. Diana should be an expert in such things and know how to handle them IF necessary. Obviously Diana's preference is to safely secure or destroy such artefacts and weapons to prevent them from being used for evil purposes.

Apparently, Diana's connection to magic will be amplified by this upcoming reboot/retcon/whatever DC wants to call it of JUSTICE LEAGUE:

http://ew.com/books/2018/05/03/justi...ators-preview/

Well, Batman can cast spells, so.....

I don't think he's done so since that godawful Amazons Attack! event. He should not be able to, it's irritating to see him master every single skill in a manner of minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    I think that's the point - Diana represents the balance between Superman and Batman - the "happy middle" so to speak. Diana should really serve as the connecting tissue which binds the trinity together because otherwise Superman and Batman are just too different to be able to effectively work together without continually butting heads.

For me, an important point of differentiation (which has sadly been sorely misused) is that Diana would, IF absolutely necessary, use lethal force when in battle. Superman and Batman usually (at least in the comics) do not kill their opponents. I thought that Diana's pragmatism when it comes to some battles and the need to (rarely) kill in order to serve the greater good was an interesting counterpoint for Diana to have.

I think it's also interesting that while Superman and Batman come from somewhat ... damaged backgrounds (i.e. Krypton exploded and Batman's parents were murdered), Diana lived her early life in a literal paradise that was free of conflict, famine, etc. But, Diana willingly sacrifices her "perfect" life because she wants to improve the world of man. Whether permanent or temporary, leaving Themyscira is a pretty major move for Diana. In many ways, Superman and Batman because heroes not by their own choice (i.e. Clark feels compelled to use his abilities for good and Batman is working through his trauma by embracing the bat). Diana becomes a hero because she wants to do good - it's very much her decision to leave behind the safety of Themyscira and embrace all the complications of living in man's world.

The fact that Diana (usually?) does not have a secret identity is also a point of difference. Diana has nothing to hide when out in the public. Diana is "Diana", whether she's more formally performing actions as Princess Diana of Themyscira, Wonder Woman or grabbing the groceries as "Diana Prince". That level of openness and vulnerability is a little different to Clark and Bruce who typically go to great lengths to maintain their secret identities.

Finally, in a certain way, I think Diana does have the ... "answers" so to speak. Diana does represent a culture that has enjoyed thousands of years of peace and solidarity. Ideally, a culture that has developed scientifically and technologically. A culture that has faced some internal and even external conflict, but rose above it to become stronger and united. With so many challenges facing the "real world", I think it would be interesting to view Diana as someone who actually has the practical experience and knowledge to try to address some of those issues. As an Ambassador for Themyscira, there is the potentially for Diana to really change the world for the better, unrelated to her super heroics battling evil villains. It's an idea that has been toyed with from time to time, with Diana publishing a book including various personal essays, etc. But, I think it could be a stronger focus.
    Well stated. Couldn't agree more. Bolded portions of your comment that resonated with me.

I've always understood Diana to be the diplomats. She is wise and always seeks practical solutions. Her perception of things are different given her background and vast knowledge of history and different cultures and practices. As such her view and solutions for a problem would differ from Batman's and from Superman's.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Tell them that's just illogical. What is the clay baby powered by the gods then? Alchemy?
    If anything inseminated by Zeus isn't magical because she's given birth naturally.
    Great question. Wonder Woman's clay origin is one distinguishing and very unique feature that DC undermined by changing. Being molded by clay and then imbued with powers from her patrons lends a more magical and fascinating quality to her background than being the illegitimate offspring of Zeus. The former speaks of a more purposeful creation than the latter.