Incredible Member

Default Thanos with the one ring of power

So what happens here?

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

thanos has a new earring.

What does it do besides look pretty?

I'm assuming the OP means the MCU version of Thanos, since that is the trend this weekend. I think he is an overall weaker version compared to the comics version. But not weak enough to be bothered or influenced by the ring. Thanos straightens it out and makes it into a really nice toothpick. Speaking of trends, owning a shiny metal toothpick becomes all the rage among world conquerors. Annihilus gets one. Apocalypse becomes jealous (for reason #239,571).
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Incredible Member

Yeah I was thinking would it temp him.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDiggle View Post
    Yeah I was thinking would it temp him.
    Tempt him into what? Killing 50.1% of the universe?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Tempt him into what? Killing 50.1% of the universe?
    Well I guess it could play on his desire to balance out the universe and convince him that 50% isn't enough. But I'm not sure what the ring really has to offer him since he already has an artifact that surpasses it in every way.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

If Thanos was weak enough for the One Ring to be relevant to him, it's not that it goes "hey lets kill even MORE people," it's that it sits there being a really useful tool for killing people and all he has to do is use it. And that's... kind of where it stops here because like there's no slippery slope of power abuse when your goal is already to kill half the universe.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Could have sworn I've seen this topic before, and wrote a skit about it. Something about Thanos leaking the fact he had a powerful ring to the Avengers, greeting them at his door like they are annoying neighbors (possibly just in a bathrobe and complaining about it being his day off), letting them search his place for the artifact, and taking the ring with them after they find it in the waste basket because Thanos just wasn't going to bother with it.

Thanos then sits back in his chair, turns on some spy drones, and lets the One Ring work its temptation stuff on a version of the Avengers team with plenty of people it can manipulate.
    ---

Sincerely,

Melchior, the Geddon Knight

Oh, the ring would definitely work on Thanos. It's not a matter of will, it's a matter of want. It could easily get him to use it, but the end result wouldn't be any different, he'd still do the same plan, and after it's done (as far as I know) he no longer wants anything, so it has nothing to tempt him with anymore.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rhyvurg View Post
    Oh, the ring would definitely work on Thanos. It's not a matter of will, it's a matter of want. It could easily get him to use it, but the end result wouldn't be any different, he'd still do the same plan, and after it's done (as far as I know) he no longer wants anything, so it has nothing to tempt him with anymore.
    The problem there is that Thanos really has no use for the ring. He already has something much better than it. I don't see how the ring can tempt him to use it, when ot offers him nothing that the IG can't do a thousand times better.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDalek View Post
    The problem there is that Thanos really has no use for the ring. He already has something much better than it. I don't see how the ring can tempt him to use it, when ot offers him nothing that the IG can't do a thousand times better.
    The ring offers power, I doubt Thanos would refuse something that offers to help him. And seeing as how he has an army, an armada and a quirky miniboss squad, he clearly wants help to some degree.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

The ring tempts otherwise good people into doing bad things, and bad people into being worse. But it doesn't provide power on the level of Thanos WITHOUT the glove 'n bedazzlement.

Thanos ALREADY wants to kill 50% of the universe. I think that even the ring would be like "Woah big purple, slow your roll there! What's left to dominate if you kill half of it?" I mean, it might well tempt him to kill FEWER people, given his solemn belief that what he's doing is just for everyone in the universe.

Thanos loves the Ring and then sacrifices it to get the Soul Stone