Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Not counting Thanos.

MVP's? Stark's team of him, Strange and Peter.

Came up short? Cap 100%, felt like he was only in this movie cuz of contract barely did anything noteworthy and I barely even felt his presence, when he was off screen I did not ever think about him, such a shame for someone dubbed the First Avenger.

I agree with OP, RE: Starlord. Written badly I mean that moment on Titan was so OoC.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Is this a spoiler thread? Someone needs to put it in the title. Worst to me is the black order. Cannon fodder is more like it. We learned nothing about them. They just showed up and died. What a waste. You could have used any cg alien and it would not have changed the plot. They made non marvel fans not care about them at all.

The other is cap. Did nothing this movie. His one cool scene was spoiled in the trailer. He doesn't even beat the guy he was fighting. Someone else had to beat it for him!

Best hands down thanos was great. Gamora was great also. Her replacing the surfer in the comics was a great choice. Shame no warlock for her to meet there like the surfer did. Dr strange was great also. Loved his banter with tony.

I don't think Starlord was out of character on Titan. He learnt that Gamora died. To loose one's love is heart breaking. Not everyone can keep one's anger in control. I remember Tony loosing it when he learnt that Bucky was the one who killed his parents in Civil War. He knew that Bucky was being mind controlled. But he said he did not care.

One can loose one's better judgement when influenced by anger. Tony lost it. I don't see why Peter can't. The bad thing was he lost his anger at the worst time possible. He was not out of character in my opinion. Had Captain America been in Peter's place i might agree.

For me, it was Thor, Bruce, Rocket, and Thanos. I liked the whole 'Hulk going into hiding inside Banner's psyche' thing, and Banner trying his darndest to cope with that. There was a lot of comic relief there, and it all worked for me. Rocket was such a good foil for Thor, from the moment they connected on board the Milano. It made sense for him to be together with Groot pretty much constantly, but he stole plenty of spotlight all by himself.

I don't mind that Cap took a bit of a backseat in this one, he's been a fairly prominent figure in the previous Avengers movies (and Civil War was a Cap movie in name only, that was definitely an Avengers affair) and Tony got plenty of nice moments, but throughout I felt really invested in Thor's ordeals. And he's my least favourite of the Big Three (but Hemsworth's portrayal has been just so endearing from the very beginning).

Characters I felt came up short were Natasha and Bucky. I don't even know why either of them needed to be there. Clint and Scott sat this one out, and the fight in Wakanda was covered just fine with the other supers who were there.
    That being said, I thought War Machine and Falcon were terrific, even if they were only supporting characters. I was honestly surprised when I saw War Machine in action in the trailers. I loved the camraderie that was heavily hinted at between him and Sam in this one. They made a formidable team against Thanos' hordes. The Russos get that Rhodey's a badass, and they succeed at making everyone forget that he was reduced to comic relief in Age Of Ultron.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

For me MVP would be Thanos. There isn't a question here. He is the best MCU villain and among the best comic book villains of all time imo. He was powerful, terrifying and his character was so compelling that he 'made' the movie.

I think everyone else came short. Still every single character got their moments to shine. Maybe the children of Thanos needed some more moments. The only one who was impressive was Ebony Maw.

I think after Thanos the best ones are: Thor, Rocket, Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Spider-man, Gamora, Hulk/Bruce Banner.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 04-30-2018 at 05:47 AM.

Astonishing Member

MVP's: Sadly Thanos, Spider-Man, Scarlet Witch, Thor, Rocket

Fell short: Cap, Tony, Drax (whoo boy), Starlord really fell short, Groot didn't do much of anything

Everyone else was kind of non entities even if they acted.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

MVPs: Thanos,Dr Strange and Thor. When they said it's a Thanos movie, they didn't joking. Thanos is probably my favorite cinematic comic book villain or a strong contenter for the top 3. Strange was far better in IW than he was in his debut movie. He felt closer to his comic book counterpart in terms of personality and strength. As for Thor,he was the one who had a more personal connection with Thanos,considering how the movie progressed and he really showed that he is the top gun of Earth's heroes.

Fell flat. Captain America and his crew. Considering how he was promoted in trailers,i felt that Cap and his Avengers were pretty much in the backround.

Bad: Star Lord. God,as much i loved Star-Lord pre-movies,i can't stand the movie version. He is too much of a comedic jerk and he screwed the situation in the end. Also, a major weakness was Pratt's acting skills. He is good for playing adorkable/heroic jerks but he didn't have the gravitas to pull true rage and pain in his scenes on Titan.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Winners

Thanos: obviously.
    Thor: got trashed, lost everything, still kept fighting got a power up and almost saved the day. Loved his attitude. He didn't want to save anyone he just wanted to get revenge on Thanos!
    Gamora: she does well when she confronts Thanos. She might be the key on ultimately defeating him.

Losers

The Black Order: Ebony Maw was by far and large the most threatening of them, aside from him the rest was easily fodderized.
    Hulk: let's face it, Thanos (with the power stone) easily beat him and this shocked the big guy. Understandable reaction but certainly not a good showing. I forsee an incoming power-up during Avengers 4 (thanks to BW?)
    Starlord: Strange had seen 14 million+ futures and left Starlord on Titan to fight against Thanos, so him going berserker was probably needed to ultimately win... yet it's difficult to argue he saved Thanos from being defeated. The movie's end means he won't have a chance to redeem himself soon.
    Drax: in the comics Drax is a threatening powerhouse (or a bumbling fool, but still a powerhouse)... in the MCU he's just comic relief, does nothing but be beaten/killed. A sad showing.

Undecided:

Doc Strange: When he uses his power to fight Thanos he gives a very strong showing and appears to be the most powerful character involved in the fight against him. On the other hand this makes his previous defeat by Ebony Maw sting even more. Why did he not use all of his arsenal against Maw?
    Iron Man: He does well against Thanos and the Black Order yet he ultimately fails, or so it seems. It takes all he has to make Thanos bleed a small tear of blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Drax is just comedic relief at this point. Did he even get a fight scene in the last Guardians movie?
    That's perfectly fine by me. While everyone had high hopes for Groot and Rocket in the first movie (and rightfully so, as they delivered), Drax -- who barely got any buzz -- turned out to be the highlight for me.

I'm not sure if you're being facetious about the last movie too (the giant monster, shoot out/crash scene), but his running slashes at Thanos' legs, and doing his part to restrain him by himself when others either had to team up for a limb (Peter and Tony) or needed something fancy (Doctor Strange) was a fairly good showing imo.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    About the worst:
    -Hulk.Dunno what to think of Hulk not wanting to apear again after being beaten up by Thanos,but this does not make much sense to me.
    -Black Widow.
    -Falcon.
    Hulk has the mindset of a child. He's used to winning decisively. Thanos scares the hell out of the universe.

But for Black Widow and Falcon, it's kind of laughable/sad to read Scarlett Johanson and Anthony Mackie's interviews where they state that they've changed thanks to Civil War, like Widow's blonde hair to escape the authorities and Falcon being distrustful of government and the heroes joining Tony's side. That's all well and good, but there was no indication of any of that in the movie -- not that there was time, of course, but that's what's sacrificed in a film of this size.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    MVPs: Thanos, Iron Man, Thor, Scarlet Witch.

Fell Flat: Starlord, Hulk (note: Bruce Banner really stepped up), Proxima Midnight.
    Good point about Hulk vs. Banner.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Is this a spoiler thread? Someone needs to put it in the title. Worst to me is the black order. Cannon fodder is more like it. We learned nothing about them. They just showed up and died. What a waste. You could have used any cg alien and it would not have changed the plot. They made non marvel fans not care about them at all.
    I really wanted a team battle between the heroes and the Black Order, but they were picked off one-by-one. Still, I love their visuals. Anyone that's a match for Iron Man, Spider-Man, and Dr. Strange on their own is formidable. The Black Order is, and should be, a team of team-wreckers.

Spectacular Member

I said this in the spoiler page but I will say it again here after making the Hulk look like such a badass, this movie completely ruined the character for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    I said this in the spoiler page but I will say it again here after making the Hulk look like such a badass, this movie completely ruined the character for me.
    There's obviously more to be explored with the Hulk. I believe all of the original avengers will have to "power up" if they want to challenge Thanos. Hulk's power level fluctuate, I imagine part of the next film will be spent making him grow, possibly into the World Breaker version.

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    There's obviously more to be explored with the Hulk. I believe all of the original avengers will have to "power up" if they want to challenge Thanos.
    And here's a preview of them powering up in Avengers 4:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    come on now. Hulk just got the beating of his life. He needs a break
    The J-man

The team on Titan was the best, except they don't know how to get a metal glove off a sleeping guy. Everyone on Wakanda was pretty lackluster overall, in spite of Thor's big moment.

Cap was especially lackluster, not sure if it was the plot or the acting.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    The team on Titan was the best, except they don't know how to get a metal glove off a sleeping guy. Everyone on Wakanda was pretty lackluster overall, in spite of Thor's big moment.

Cap was especially lackluster, not sure if it was the plot or the acting.
    I am Groot!

I... am... Steve...Rogers...

Okay, granted, that's only one moment, but that's the kinda thing I want to see in crossovers.

----
    Anyway, I agree that the Attack on Titan team being the best. Drax, as usual, was great with his idiocy, but when it came down to the big face off itself, I don't know if I could've asked for anything more.

I would argue, though, that while Quill was unforgivable, it wasn't out of character for him, given his outrage at his dad in the last movie. Perhaps the thing that made it seem unlikely was that, while the GotG movies are handled well, there's not much to the Quill/Gamora relationship other than your usual Hollywood cliches (Gamora was understandably too busy with family issues last time for Peter to really be all that romantic).