Thread: Star Citizen

Default Star Citizen

So I'm obsessed with the Star Citizen game. Let me rephrase that. I'm obsessed with the DEVELOPMENT of the game. It's raised over 170 million dollars and has been in development for over five years and it's still in alpha. In fact it doesn't even have female character models yet. This year they updated to Alpha 3.0 and now have quarterly updates. Despite this the game is known for it's below 20 fps frame rates regardless of the machine it's on. So anyone here a backer or just have strong opinions on SC?

I stopped following the game for a while up until the last CitizenCon. Got me hyped up all over again and I've been following the updates on the game every few days or so since then. Development has really picked up the pace since last December. The only thing that's really keeping me away from the game even in it's early state is the FPS, but update 3.2 and 3.3 should address that. If it does, I'll probably jump in then.

So they have a 27k package that includes almost every ship and a bunch of other stuff. You have to have already spent a thousand dollars just to look at it.

And just like that, all the work they've been doing for the past year is about to get overshadowed in one day.

Personally, it doesn't bother me. But this game has already built up the stigma of being a scam. It doesn't need this kind of attention. And them trying to, "hide" it by putting the package behind a $1000 wall is not going to do them any favors.

Oh lord, there are people saying that there are ships in that package that aren't available to buy otherwise. They better hope that news doesn't get out to the public.
    Last edited by Xero Kaiser; 05-29-2018 at 11:19 AM.

So Star Citizen has removed the cap on the amount of in game currency you can buy. Used to be you could only have a max of 150k United Earth Credits. Now you can get as much as you want with a limit of 25K a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammasu View Post
    So Star Citizen has removed the cap on the amount of in game currency you can buy. Used to be you could only have a max of 150k United Earth Credits. Now you can get as much as you want with a limit of 25K a day.
    It's like they're trying to mess up their reputation on purpose. The one thing people were hanging on when it came to buying ships was the fact that you were just buying the barebones model, but all the upgrades would still have to be earned in-game. Except now that's no longer the case. So when the game drops we're going to have whale groups rolling through with a fleet of pimped-out top tier ships and a bag of land claim licenses, controlling anything worth controlling on day one?

Anyone who's ever played a mobile game or a Korean MMO can see what's at the end of this road. What are they thinking? You can't balance a game's economy in a way that accommodates both a new player in a starter ship with no money and a whale starting with massive ships and millions of credits.
    Last edited by Xero Kaiser; 08-08-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    It's like they're trying to mess up their reputation on purpose. The one thing people were hanging on when it came to buying ships was the fact that you were just buying the barebones model, but all the upgrades would still have to be earned in-game. Except now that's no longer the case. So when the game drops we're going to have whale groups rolling through with a fleet of pimped-out top tier ships and a bag of land claim licenses, controlling anything worth controlling on day one?

Anyone who's ever played a mobile game or a Korean MMO can see what's at the end of this road. What are they thinking? You can't balance a game's economy in a way that accommodates both a new player in a starter ship with no money and a whale starting with massive ships and millions of credits.
    Lucky for them the prospective player base is too hyper invested to care.

Even if SC WERE to launch, it would be considered so pay to win at launch that it would have all the day one buyers quitting forever in about a month.

Somebody who buys the game on Day One of its official release would be confronted with DOZENS OF ALREADY EXISTING PLAYER GUILDS WITH DOZENS OF SHIPS EACH all run by Kickstarter founders each of whom have about as many ships as the Federation by now.

Meanwhile that Day One player will have to grind day and night just to upgrade his or her single starter ship.

That makes the worst Korean MMO on record look fair and balanced.

If anybody over at SC actually believed they would ever launch they'd of sold something, anything other than ships in a game where player power will be determined by how many ships you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Lucky for them the prospective player base is too hyper invested to care.
    I can believe it. The amount of people that have convinced themselves that this is anything other than blatant P2W is alarming. They're even at the point where they want to break out some pseudo-philosophical, "What is, 'winning', really?" type nonsense to downplay where this is headed.

[Somebody who buys the game on Day One of its official release would be confronted with DOZENS OF ALREADY EXISTING PLAYER GUILDS WITH DOZENS OF SHIPS EACH all run by Kickstarter founders each of whom have about as many ships as the Federation by now.
    Yeah, they mentioned that there's a daily cap on how much money you can buy, but that doesn't matter when the game is far enough away that players can still stockpile tens of millions of credits in the meantime.

Okay, so they WERE selling $20 streaming packages for CitizenCon but they got such massive backlash that they decided to not do that and just cut back on the show. Seems they don't have a big sponsor like Intel this year.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

This game seems like the perfect hustle being ran really. Keep getting folks to donate and spend , with no real release happening.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

CIG has spent the last several months kicking themselves in the ass. You'd almost think that they were trying to screw their reputation on purpose.