Page 471 of 568 FirstFirst ... 371421461467468469470471472473474475481521 ... LastLast
Results 7,051 to 7,065 of 8518

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Nice addition for DC! I enjoyed his Authority work years ago.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I mean...where else do you go after an African King who is also a superhero.....a black space cop....naturally.

Like Black Panther, John Stewart is undiscovered territory.

John has such a rich background, that he could easily appeal to several demographics.
    Agreed!

That said, I think one advantage BP has over any superhero at this point in time is that, just putting the main hero aside, a science fiction futuristic africa just isn't something we see as a setting. It'd be unique on it's own, but it's now refreshingly so given the redundancy we've seen not just in comic films but hollywood. It's likely eye catching and alluring to people regardless of if they have any care for the cultural significance of the film.

Conversely, put Stewart aside, and we'll be coming off of 2 or 3 total guardians movies, 2 infinity wars, Captain Marvel with Skrulls and Kree, and an ish load of more Star Wars by the time GLC comes out. Or thereabout. So they'll have their work cut out to give us characters and emotions that will make the general public want to invest in another cgi-heavy cosmicy world among the many they'll already have been exposed to.

To which point (regarding the characters), they've done Stewart no favors by not warming him back up to an audience he was once red hot with but that they've since kept him stored away in a freezer for the better part of the last decade.

Also why i've been an advocate of Vixen as his love interest, a fan of Fatality as his love/hate, and why i used to argue strongly on this board about showing more of his earth relationships (not keeping him stuck in space), esp any family. I mean, women are just as excited to see Black Panther as men are, due to their being a strong presence of strong women. Women of color, in particular, being one of the more neglected groups in hollywood clawing for inclusion. And by woc, i don't mean pink.. with all due respect to Katma lol

I'm not worried about the superhero space adventure thing not being so original anymore. I'm worried that WB would once again rush to try to capitalize on Marvel's success without properly thinking things through. Marvel started their own shared cinematic universe, let's go after them. Marvel did their own team-up film, let's do it too. Marvel's doing their own black-led film, perhaps we should fast-track ours! This kind of approach of trying their damnedest to cash in on Marvel's popularity at every turn didn't do any favors for them. They need to be smart now.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-13-2018 at 02:09 AM.

I would definitely appreciate if GLC could be a more serious space opera film then the Guardians movies are.

I would also hope for better and more memorable action sequences as well.

BANNED

Ridley co-wrote the episode "Starcrossed" on Justice League.

He also wrote the episode of Static Shock featuring Superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    Agreed!

That said, I think one advantage BP has over any superhero at this point in time is that, just putting the main hero aside, a science fiction futuristic africa just isn't something we see as a setting. It'd be unique on it's own, but it's now refreshingly so given the redundancy we've seen not just in comic films but hollywood. It's likely eye catching and alluring to people regardless of if they have any care for the cultural significance of the film.

Conversely, put Stewart aside, and we'll be coming off of 2 or 3 total guardians movies, 2 infinity wars, Captain Marvel with Skrulls and Kree, and an ish load of more Star Wars by the time GLC comes out. Or thereabout. So they'll have their work cut out to give us characters and emotions that will make the general public want to invest in another cgi-heavy cosmicy world among the many they'll already have been exposed to.

To which point (regarding the characters), they've done Stewart no favors by not warming him back up to an audience he was once red hot with but that they've since kept him stored away in a freezer for the better part of the last decade.

Also why i've been an advocate of Vixen as his love interest, a fan of Fatality as his love/hate, and why i used to argue strongly on this board about showing more of his earth relationships (not keeping him stuck in space), esp any family. I mean, women are just as excited to see Black Panther as men are, due to their being a strong presence of strong women. Women of color, in particular, being one of the more neglected groups in hollywood clawing for inclusion. And by woc, i don't mean pink.. with all due respect to Katma lol
    Yeah, the plots and concepts don't have to be original, but the audience has to get invested in the characters. We have to like them on a personal level.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Yeah, the plots and concepts don't have to be original, but the audience has to get invested in the characters. We have to like them on a personal level.
    Yup. By 2020, them pumpin the screen full of cgi heavy visuals, explosions and dragon ball z style fights will still be 'cool' but not really refreshingly different from what we have coming between now and then. But if the characters have that charisma tho... then it wouldn't really matter too much

I think for BP, he had a perfect storm of ppl being curious about him b/c of Civil War + uniqueness of visuals/culture + a few other factors, even if the general plot itself (from what we can piece together) doesn't seem terribly original (coming of age king, coup d'états, etc).

John prob wouldn't have those perfect storm factors (tho too early to tell) but he can still be a similar media darling that everybody is excited for, who also fills a specific void. But it's gon come down to that personality/charisma

Extraordinary Member

Agreed!

You make great points, as usual.

However....the biggest difference with GL from other space sagas is the power source....the rings.

No space ships, no light sabers.....just a bloke with the ability to overcome great fear....and manifest his will through a power ring.

Seeing a black man flying in space, to me, is the next step after a technologically advanced African warrior king.

John flying in space, shooting down space criminals in alien war ships, would be a sight to behold.

Seeing John try to reconcile his space adventures to Earth life, particularly with him being a social activist & a former Marine sniper works as a compelling sub-plot.

Beautiful black alien women works for me, too.

The thing with Kat in live action....nothing says a black actress could not wear pink skin.

Although, sometimes I get the feeling people from Korugar might physically resemble Asian people of Earth based on some interpretations.....

Extraordinary Member

Yup. By 2020, them pumpin the screen full of cgi heavy visuals, explosions and dragon ball z style fights will still be 'cool' but not really refreshingly different from what we have coming between now and then. But if the characters have that charisma tho... then it wouldn't really matter too much

I think for BP, he had a perfect storm of ppl being curious about him b/c of Civil War + uniqueness of visuals/culture + a few other factors, even if the general plot itself (from what we can piece together) doesn't seem terribly original (coming of age king, coup d'états, etc).

John prob wouldn't have those perfect storm factors (tho too early to tell) but he can still be a similar media darling that everybody is excited for, who also fills a specific void. But it's gon come down to that personality/charisma
    For me, this has been WB's problem....the characters are presented with plenty style, but very little in substance, and as you stated lacking personality & charisma.

The story & set designs are not as important as the audience feeling some connection to the characters.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I would definitely appreciate if GLC could be a more serious space opera film then the Guardians movies are.

I would also hope for better and more memorable action sequences as well.
    My main love for the Guardians film is the sense of family, and the interpersonal relationships between the action & humor.

Those films also dealt with ethnic cleansing, the ultimate dead-beat dad, and child trafficking without making it a special episode.

WB has to sell the audience on a bromance between two headstrong guys, John Stewart & Hal Jordan, who are polar opposites in the way the assess & engage a situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    You make great points, as usual.

However....the biggest difference with GL from other space sagas is the power source....the rings.

No space ships, no light sabers.....just a bloke with the ability to overcome great fear....and manifest his will through a power ring.

Seeing a black man flying in space, to me, is the next step after a technologically advanced African warrior king.

John flying in space, shooting down space criminals in alien war ships, would be a sight to behold.

Seeing John try to reconcile his space adventures to Earth life, particularly with him being a social activist & a former Marine sniper works as a compelling sub-plot.

Beautiful black alien women works for me, too.

The thing with Kat in live action....nothing says a black actress could not wear pink skin.

Although, sometimes I get the feeling people from Korugar might physically resemble Asian people of Earth based on some interpretations.....
    I think if Fatality is there with the aesthetic depiction and energy from Jensen's run, as John's love/hate, then you get strong buy-in from both halves of the community. Basically bullet-proof. And then if they play off of John being that American military guy with strong family ties in Detroit called to duty billions of light years from his home, and don't shy away from that background and who he is. Then yea, that gives it a universal appeal too, in its own cultural way.

But if it's simply men in black with cgi rings...Or if its way too plot thick, like the current book seems to be, then idk. It could go either way with dceu, esp with it being a buddy cop film and not a conventional solo film

BANNED

The Corpsman.

BANNED

Anyone else find it amusing that John is a literal "space marine"?

It's one of those things like the idea that Diana is an actual "warrior princess" or the idea that Green Lantern and Flash are "buddy cops".

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 01-14-2018 at 09:44 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I think if Fatality is there with the aesthetic depiction and energy from Jensen's run, as John's love/hate, then you get strong buy-in from both halves of the community. Basically bullet-proof. And then if they play off of John being that American military guy with strong family ties in Detroit called to duty billions of light years from his home, and don't shy away from that background and who he is. Then yea, that gives it a universal appeal too, in its own cultural way.

But if it's simply men in black with cgi rings...Or if its way too plot thick, like the current book seems to be, then idk. It could go either way with dceu, esp with it being a buddy cop film and not a conventional solo film
    Introducing Fatality would really be new territory in a superhero film. She has a legitimate grievance with the hero. The dialogue & acting should be played over & over on youtube, if taken serious, and directed right.

John is a complicated man, and as you broke down, has a very compartmentalized life. It is shameful the writers at DC have no desire to explore this.

John would be that character that patriots & SJWs would both root for.

His tragic romances should have him competing with MCU Loki for fangirl sympathy, lol.

I truly think the appeal of the MCU is the heart that its characters exhibit. The cgi & humor are just gravy.

Regardless of the plot, GLC needs to show the heart of John & Hal.