Page 457 of 568 FirstFirst ... 357407447453454455456457458459460461467507557 ... LastLast
Results 6,841 to 6,855 of 8518
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the DCAU did some amazing and great work in it's time, and the quality of the writing and character work cannot be denied, but I don't think it should always be seen as the be all and end all, particularly when comparing a serial animated series to live-action movies (much as I myself am wont to do).

Like, for one, I think the DCEU Diana is actually a stronger take on the character and her mythos then what DCAU ultimately did.

Though, speaking of DCAU influences, I think the DCAU influenced a lot of how people view Flash in a Justice League setting and effected Barry's DCEU characterization to some degree.
    Can't agree more. I love the DCAU, but I don't want my DC comics, movies and games to turn into it. I love my different takes of DC because of their uniqueness and creativity involved.

BANNED

Well, I think the vast majority of people who know these characters, at least in the States, think of the versions from the DCAU. Just compare viewership of the show to readership of the comics. The team behind the show did a great job of giving each character likable personalities with human flaws that made them relatable.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 12-07-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I understand.

However, with the abysmal way they handled Hal, and the members of the JL, I'm kinda glad John has not been used.

I'd be pissed if John was part of a live action stinker.

Unlike Hal, John does not have folks with power behind the scenes who will continuously champion him (despite how often they have Jordan acting like Guy Gardner).

My biggest fear is that once John is used in a bad film, he won't see the light of day until a regime change takes place within DC/WB.
    The blessing and the curse. Because there's no assurance that the GLC movie wouldn't be a stinker. It'd all be in hindsight.

It'd almost be better to wait until this current iteration of the DCEU is redone or rebooted, but whose to say a DCEU 2.0 would be any better, or that the next DCEU movie wouldn't be the one that rights the ship and starts the string of quality products? It's all just rolling the dice on when to throw John into the water but without knowledge of how shark infested the waters will be until he's already canon balling. It be getting spooky

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the DCAU did some amazing and great work in it's time, and the quality of the writing and character work cannot be denied, but I don't think it should always be seen as the be all and end all, particularly when comparing a serial animated series to live-action movies (much as I myself am wont to do).

Like, for one, I think the DCEU Diana is actually a stronger take on the character and her mythos then what DCAU ultimately did.

Though, speaking of DCAU influences, I think the DCAU influenced a lot of how people view Flash in a Justice League setting and effected Barry's DCEU characterization to some degree.
    Nah breh. It should be the all end all for John Stewart until these fools at DC show they can do something better. They've had 10 years for John. 10 years of us saying "ok DC, show us something with John that's as good or engaging or fun as the JLU. He ain't even gotta be a soldier. He aint even gotta date Hawkgirl"

But outside of Jensen and Bunn (whose depictions of John had roots in the DCAU foundation, and both writers that DC was acting a bit funny around imo), I ain't impressed.

Also what is "be all end all" anyway? Esp when it comes to DCAU Superman, which was essentially just the heroic/"inspirational" superman ppl were whining that Henry Caville's Superman wasn't up until WB knee-jerked it up in Justice League. You didn't need a cartoon to tell you what traits ppl like about Superman but a cartoon already spelled it out for those who needed a little help.

Diana/Clark/Bruce/Wally have other stories on many other platforms that spell certain things out. John however, might as well make the DCAU his old testament bible until DC gets some new blood to do something great with buddy.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    The blessing and the curse. Because there's no assurance that the GLC movie wouldn't be a stinker. It'd all be in hindsight.

It'd almost be better to wait until this current iteration of the DCEU is redone or rebooted, but whose to say a DCEU 2.0 would be any better, or that the next DCEU movie wouldn't be the one that rights the ship and starts the string of quality products? It's all just rolling the dice on when to throw John into the water but without knowledge of how shark infested the waters will be until he's already canon balling. It be getting spooky
    I admire how Kevin Fiege endured heat about not presenting Black Panther. He waited for the right film to debut him, found the right actor to play him, and eventually found the right director for the solo. He did not settle.

Ryan Coogler is a blessing. I would rather WB find their own Coogler (or James Gunn) for John Stewart.

I am against the Hal Jordan method of diving head first with the assumption he'll figure things out once he confronts the menace.

In this case, the menace is bad critic reviews, and dwindling movie ticket sales.

WB needs to stop using the Hal Jordan method.

It only works for Hal, lol!

Ironically, WB needs to to use the John Stewart method of assessing a situation, and strategically thinking of a thorough course of action before engaging.

I admire how Kevin Fiege endured heat about not presenting Black Panther. He waited for the right film to debut him, found the right actor to play him, and eventually found the right director for the solo. He did not settle.

Ryan Coogler is a blessing. I would rather WB find their own Coogler (or James Gunn) for John Stewart.

I am against the Hal Jordan method of diving head first with the assumption he'll figure things out once he confronts the menace.

In this case, the menace is bad critic reviews, and dwindling movie ticket sales.

Ironically, WB needs to to use the John Stewart method of assessing a situation, and strategically thinking of a thorough course of action before engaging.

I think Marvel got lucky.

Fiege is on record saying that the reason for a Captain Marvel and Black Panther movie is because fan demand got so large that it could not be ignored.

There's really no excuse for Marvel taking 10 years to consider a black superhero movie, or a female superhero. But Marvel (Disney) does a great job of self-correcting when they get put on blast. i.e. like when they heard the criticism of Avengers 1 being nothing but while male sausage fests with 1 woman, so by the end of Avengers 2, we had a whole new team with color, and since then nothing but color (for the most part).

And by then they were well aware of what can happen with the snow storm of bad publicity (racism, sexism etc) amplified by social media, so they pulled Ike Perlmuter (i.e. all black people look alike and women superheroes are disasters) away from the MCU and buried him somewhere deeper in Disney's crevices, then decided to actually make a movie about a black person and a female superhero.

But even then, the only reason Black Panther was in Civil War like he was, was due to the Sony agreement for Spider-Man breaking down and so they needed a "3rd side" in the Tony/Steve beef, which they originally pegged Spider-Man for in a larger role. If not for the Sony breakdowns, BP was originally set to just have a brief cameo.

But b/c of the failed deal, T'Challa got the expanded role and became a hit, and they were then able to land on the Spidey agreement sometime after the fact, anyway.

And of course, they snagged Chadwick without even asking him to audition b/c his popularity was surging and they saw Coogler had just hit popularity due to Fruitvale and Creed, so it all worked out nicely and Marvel was able to save face.

But they ain't slick though. lol

I'm just happy that they're acting right. Next we have to get on their asses about women of color being superheroes... but they already got the memo with Tessa Thompson (original rumor was they wanted Lupita as Valykrie but she turned it down).

No excuse for why it took 10 years to come up with a woc superhero either.. but also credit where credit is due (even if very tardy).

MCU is doing great, but i aint enamored by them. I'm just enamored with Black Panther, John Stewart and Blade, b/c those been my guys for 20 years now lol

I recall David Goyer and Justin Rhodes were rumored as the writers for GLC. Will they be our Ryan Coogler and Robert J. Cool?

The problem with Hollywood in general is that it's always been reactive instead of proactive. They always need some kind of "controversy" to make them change anything about the way they handle their business. They love to virtue-signal their smug asses off on award shows about representation and diversity, but we all know, as recent events showed us too, that they will always be the good ol' boys club no matter how they try to present themselves. WB is the epitome of that. I'm sure this boils down to ego as well. What you would probably hear in WB offices anytime people go after them is something like "Hey, shitheads, we're WB, we've been making movies since the film industry exists, you're not going to tell us how to do our fucking job". As long as this type of mentality runs rampant in Hollywood, no matter how they like to publicly present themselves, there won't be any real progress there.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-07-2017 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    The problem with Hollywood in general is that it's always been reactive instead of proactive. They always need some kind of "controversy" to make them change anything about the way they handle their business. They love to virtue-signal their two-faced asses off on award shows about inclusion and diversity, but we all know, as we saw in recent events, they will always be the good ol' boys club no matter how they try to present themselves. WB is the epitome of that. I'm sure this boils down to ego as well. What you likely hear in WB offices anytime people go after them is something like "Hey, shitheads, we're WB, we've been making movies since the film industry exists, you're not going to tell us how to do our fucking job". As long as this type of mentality runs rampant in Hollywood, no matter how they like to publicly present themselves, there won't be any real progress there.
    You nailed it. It's really all charades and spin jobs. Losing money or the fear of losing money ("controversy") is the only thing that truly gets them to act right on the "progressive"/inclusion front. But as long as it's the same people in charge, the change isn't really genuine.. just knee-jerk reactions to save face until the heat cools down. Which means it could always revert back to how it was or just be contingent on ridiculous expectations of success.

Marvel/Disney look like angels at the moment but they've been graceful in pirouetting around their own controversies and Floyd shoulder rolling what could've been some big blows had the timing been different. Like if that Ike stuff had surfaced in today's climate, versus 6-8 years ago.

Spectacular Member

Geoff Johns is in some trouble with WB. https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12...g-geoff-johns/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr HardKnocks View Post
    Geoff Johns is in some trouble with WB. https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12...g-geoff-johns/
    If true, less Geoff Johns would be a plus for me--believe it.

That's not what the original report says, it says Berg is leaving while Johns is staying where he's at. By Johns "not getting promoted", they are saying WB won't make him the sole head of their movie division, but bring in another studio executive in Berg's place. Basically the movie division is going to be even more corporate, especially if they really move in the same building. lol
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-07-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    What are some essential readings for John pre-52?
    His sometimes shaky attempts at diversity aside, Steve Englehart's work with the character was fantastic. It's collected in the Green Lantern: Sector 2814 Vol. 2 & 3 trade paperbacks
    61CgAIPJInL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...tor-2814-vol-2

http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...tor-2814-vol-3

And, if you can track them down, Gerard Jones & Cully Hamner's work on the character is really the turning point for every version of him that's followed. It's never been collected into trade paperback as far as I know, but you might be able to track down old back issues for cheap.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    His sometimes shaky attempts at diversity aside, Steve Englehart's work with the character was fantastic. It's collected in the Green Lantern: Sector 2814 Vol. 2 & 3 trade paperbacks
    61CgAIPJInL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...tor-2814-vol-2

http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...tor-2814-vol-3

And, if you can track them down, Gerard Jones & Cully Hamner's work on the character is really the turning point for every version of him that's followed. It's never been collected into trade paperback as far as I know, but you might be able to track down old back issues for cheap.
    Thanks!

Good!

It says Warner Bros. is pissed off at Berg and Geoff Johns for screwing up the DCEU. Well cotdamn WB, welcome to the club

Says Johns role may diminish to be more 'advisory' in the future? Nah, just get rid of him.