Page 285 of 568 FirstFirst ... 185235275281282283284285286287288289295335385 ... LastLast
Results 4,261 to 4,275 of 8518
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I am pretty much in "wait & see" mode. Time & again, writers have said plans were in store for John, just to get treated to the same grim-dark, stoic guy stuff when the books are released.

I am a bit more optimistic this time.
    I think that's the wisest attitude any of us can take toward DC.

I'd love a solo on Stewart.

Quote Originally Posted by Flabbergaster View Post
    Yeah, it made me sad. I mean, my goal was simply to prove that I can do a monthly book, (and I did. I started EOO in late November, and finished #3 on February 10th.) do the 6 issues, and then move on to the monthly GREEN LANTERN book. That was my plan. But this job often upsets the apple cart at unexpected times. Usually it's because Geoff wants to do something awesome. Anyhow, I'm needed for three books in one month. So I have to stop EOO with issue #3 in order to get that stuff ready for you guys. Especially Desh, who will be my best friend soon. ha ha.

EVS
    Holy crap, didn't know you responded! Interesting info! Well I'm definitely looking forward to your work and can't wait to pick up your books

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    Literally just in some other thread some guy was talking about how DC doesn't pay attention to John Stewart's hardcore fans, and implying that DC shouldn't, but I have never seen creators post as much in any specific thread dedicated to a particular character, which is inhabited by that character's hardcore fans. So, I guess he's wrong. That's actually good, and I appreciate the creators stopping by and listening to the fans here, especially since we don't always say positive things.
    Honestly, I don't see why DC doesn't want to pay attention to John Stewart's hardcore fans. That just doesn't make any sense. I'm more than sure that Van Jensen communicated and/or look around the boards to see what John fans want. And he really did answer our wishes, especially in John's new origin story. If internet wasn't important, then big writers/creators like Geoff Johns wouldn't be taking the time to communicate with fans over the internet over on reddit and other places. Another thing to point out is that us fans can pretty much speak for mostly other fans, who doesn't use the message boards. So writers communicating and/or lurking on different message boards around the internet to receive both critical and good feedback from fans is definitely important.

And the things you said about John's role possibly being prominent crossed my mind as well. When Ethan disputed our views on DC policies a while back, he mentioned that he wished there were a dozen GL books, but "we're working on that". This is was way before Rebirth was even announced. I believe one of the books he's working on is Green Lantern-related. And the "best friend" mention, either way, it's fortunate for one of the greatest artist that DC has right now just to say that about you, haha. But yea, I think he's probably implying something about John. And Geoff Johns bringing up John Stewart as one of his examples (of characters being underrated that I think he's alluding to and having fans) in his Rebirth interview also says something. So at least he acknowledged it.

Can't say that I'm surprised no one haven't brought up John Stewart's appearance in Geoff Johns' upcoming JL Darkseid War. I have very very low expectations on John Stewart's appearance. I think he's going to be relegated into the "black best friend", only being in a couple panels in the book, which would be no better than Tom King's one-shot.

So.....I've just got through reading the JL Darkseid War from Comixology, just because of course John Stewart made an appearance in the story. Okay, so we all seem to have low expectations, which is good. John Stewart doesn't have a prominent role, only a couple of pages, because the story focuses on mostly on the core league members. And if he did, he would've made an appearance a long time ago. John being in the book is nothing big or anything, but I will lay out the good things (yes there are some good things, whether it's big or small at least):

John Stewart's character isn't relegated to the "black best friend". This was what worried me and I'm sure others the most, because usually when they pair John with Hal, John comes off as an inferior character, who can't think for himself. And writers like Tom King has to make John a lesser character. The way John behaves in this issue is definitely not like how he was in the Tom King one-shot. Tom and Geoff's handling on the characters are completely different.

John comes off as a leadership in command of the entire Corps. It's really something that out of all the writers, Geoff Johns seems to acknowledge John acting as a strong leader, who has no problem leading the corps. This is a real big deal for me, because Geoff Johns seemed to have read John in the GLC. And I'm very glad that other writers are carrying this trend. I wouldn't even expect Geoff Johns to carry this over.

And Fabok's artwork on John looks really good. And John is clean shaved. The cover is just misleading.

So although there's not much dialogue from John and only appeared in a couple of pages here, John doesn't act all inferior or a lesser character. John and Hal are the only Earth lanterns shown here. This is also why I believed Tom Taylor made a huge mistake to not use John as a central character and push him into the background to another lantern. John is just much bigger than that. In conclusion, I expected John's appearance here to be just as bad if not worse than Tom King's horrible one-shot. And honestly, it's better than that. This issue may not be a big deal for us John fans, but at least he doesn't act like some inferior incompetent character.

I actually wonder will John be one of the characters that's going to be shown in the Rebirth story.

And when I think about it, maybe it's a good thing for John not to have a big role in the Darkseid War, because Geoff Johns may have been researching John Stewart, because he has plans for him in Rebirth. I would rather see him in that than Darkseid War.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 02-24-2016 at 04:08 AM.

Incredible Member

Stewart was so badass in that JL issue.

When the Corps comes back to Mogo he should totally be the new Corps leader.
    Last edited by SmokeMonster; 02-24-2016 at 06:58 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeMonster View Post
    Stewart was so badass in that JL issue.

When the Corps comes back to Mogo he should totally be the new Corps leader.
    Just me, but I thought the great majority of the Johns run was one of the best. Up there with the early Morrison and Waid. In fact, Johns for me is mostly that and the early to mid part of his Green Lantern run. The rest of his work I'm not convinced on.

It was a good cameo. Hal asks for help, John shows up with the Corps, Hal thanks him. It was quick, it was on point, John did exactly what he was there to do. Nobody was relegated to anything or "marginalized", or whatever people usually complain about on this thread. The Corps is obviously here to stay for DW because we still need Jessica to get a GL ring of course. Also I agree with Sodam, I didn't get John's facial hair on the cover either given he was clean shaven in the actual pages. That's like giving Hal the white streaks on a cover and then show him with brown hair in the interior art. No big deal, Fabok is amazing as usual. It's clear he draws a lot of inspiration from Ivan Reis' GL, which of course is fantastic.
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-24-2016 at 01:45 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Fabok is amazing as usual. It's clear he draws a lot of inspiration from Ivan Reis' GL, which of course is fantastic.
    I never noticed that before, could be true. I think Fabok is more shadowy than Reis, deeper dimensions if that makes any sense (forgive me if not). Big fan of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Götterdämmerung View Post
    I never noticed that before, could be true. I think Fabok is more shadowy than Reis, deeper dimensions if that makes any sense (forgive me if not). Big fan of both.
    I meant the design of the GLs mostly. When I saw Fabok's Hal I immediately thought of Reis' Hal. He always drew the GL uniforms looking very detailed and sleek.

BANNED

I meant the design of the GLs mostly. When I saw Fabok's Hal I immediately thought of Reis' Hal. He always drew the GL uniforms looking very detailed and sleek.
    I agree with you.

Extraordinary Member

I am relived to hear that John had a good showing in DW.

Perhaps this is the start of something good.

The glass is looking half full.

Apparently, what's going on in Justice League is supposed to set things up for "Rebirth." As such, I can see John Stewart being in Green Lanterns even more now. He's finally returned to Earth and met Jessica. He may stay behind while Hal Jordan goes off with the Green Lantern Corps. It's also interesting to note that neither Guy nor Simon Baz are around. It makes me wonder if they'll make it through Edge of Oblivion. "Darkseid War" is supposed to happen after that.

It was a good cameo. Hal asks for help, John shows up with the Corps, Hal thanks him. It was quick, it was on point, John did exactly what he was there to do. Nobody was relegated to anything or "marginalized", or whatever people usually complain about on this thread. The Corps is obviously here to stay for DW because we still need Jessica to get a GL ring of course. Also I agree with Sodam, I didn't get John's facial hair on the cover either given he was clean shaven in the actual pages. That's like giving Hal the white streaks on a cover and then show him with brown hair in the interior art. No big deal, Fabok is amazing as usual. It's clear he draws a lot of inspiration from Ivan Reis' GL, which of course is fantastic.
    Yea, it's more of a cameo appearance than anything. And it's a good cameo. That's what I should've said in my comment. Your summary is better than mine lol. I wonder whether John and the corps is going to be appear in more issues in DW?

Apparently, what's going on in Justice League is supposed to set things up for "Rebirth." As such, I can see John Stewart being in Green Lanterns even more now. He's finally returned to Earth and met Jessica. He may stay behind while Hal Jordan goes off with the Green Lantern Corps. It's also interesting to note that neither Guy nor Simon Baz are around. It makes me wonder if they'll make it through Edge of Oblivion. "Darkseid War" is supposed to happen after that.
    It's interesting on how Hal Jordan notified John on the current events happening on Earth. So John still knows what's going on in his home planet while being far far away. And seeing that John told Hal on how he thought Power Ring was a good guy, may be some kind of hint that John would probably stick around in the Green Lanterns' book. Also, I don't remember Darkseid War taking place after the events of Lost Army. I thought it took place before. I must've forgotten.

edit: Never mind. I just seen that the Darkseid War event is currently the present while the other DC titles are in the past as confirmed by Jason Fabok.

Regarding Guy and Simon, the solicits did seem to show that there's going to be differences going on in the corps. I wonder what's going to happen to them? They may stay behind or something.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 02-25-2016 at 12:20 AM.

I didn't think the cameo was anything good or special. John Stewart appears for a page or two and is literally identified as Hal Jordan's backup. It was just this all over again.

I'm glad I didn't buy it. And this isn't me complaining or being upset. It's just me not being particularly impressed.

I didn't think the cameo was anything good or special. John Stewart appears for a page or two and is literally identified as Hal Jordan's backup. It was just this all over again.

I'm glad I didn't buy it. And this isn't me complaining or being upset. It's just me not being particularly impressed.
    Fair enough, but to be fair John Stewart called Hal Jordan as his backup twice in Final Crisis. On the first pages of Final Crisis, John said something like "is my backup here, yet?" then Hal Jordan appeared. Towards the end of Final Crisis John called for backup when he was getting jumped on and asked for backup and the entire corps was coming to his rescue. That Final Crisis scene is actually similar to what happened in this particular JL issue, but from John to Hal as the difference.