Page 284 of 568 FirstFirst ... 184234274280281282283284285286287288294334384 ... LastLast
Results 4,246 to 4,260 of 8518
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Daredevil is Legend View Post
    Will DC ever give this character the push he deserves?
    That's definitely a pervasive question here, and deservedly so. By the way, AWESOME avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    How are they going to make people care about them if they put them with established characters? When the classic GLs are there, people pay attention to them, not to the new guys. When DC introduced Kyle Rayner in the 90s, they didn't have him co-headline the title with Hal Jordan, they completely got rid off Hal and everything Corps related. When they introduced Simon Baz in the New 52, they had Hal and Sinestro take a backseat while his origin story was happening. When Marvel introduced Miles Morales, they didn't have him share the spotlight with Peter Parker, they killed Parker off. What favors would they be doing to Cruz or Baz(assuming it's them, yes) if they have them share the title with characters whose fanbase couldn't give a rat's ass about them? Like I pointed out, you're going to care about the book because it would have John Stewart, not because it would give you new characters with new adventures and new supporting cast. That's not the right way to try to establish new characters, have the others make occasional appearances, but don't have them as co-protagonists because nobody would care about the new blood. I'm all for John having a main role in a book, I'm not sure this would be the book tho.
    That's all assuming DC Comics cares to invest in those characters as much as you're implying. I don't think they're going to be in movies and Baz has been around for years now, and hardly anything has been done with him. The only reason that belief exists at all is because of the Bleeding Cool rumor, which didn't even get the title of the book right. So who knows how true that is, or whether or not it's the full truth. For instance, having Jessica Cruz there may not mean that she is the primary focus. The title alone implies that if she's there... she's not alone.

Getting people to care about Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz in an atmosphere like Green Lantern's would be a huge challenge, because people already have their favorites and they'd wonder why these new characters no one asked for are being showcased instead of their already established favorites. Dumping two new human ring wielders in a franchise as crowded as Green Lantern's was an extremely unwise move, in my opinion.

And yes, in the scenario you mention, I'd care about the book because it would have John Stewart. Otherwise, I wouldn't care about the book and wouldn't buy it at all... so removing John Stewart from the equation wouldn't get me to care about Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz. I don't mean to speak for everyone, but I'm sure the same would be true for others... and not just regarding John Stewart, but buying a book about these new characters that don't have very strong followings.
    Last edited by Desh; 02-21-2016 at 12:17 PM.

BANNED

With the points above, it does make me question if Green Lanterns will be centered around Baz or Cruz, or if this is all either/and wild conjecture/rumor-mongering. If Hal is going to be running the GLC (yawn), then I'm guess Green Lanterns will probably be about one or both of the other two popular Lanterns, with perhaps a merging of new characters besides.

Well, the comment from Ethan Van Sciver leads me to believe he is or will be working on something that (he believes) will make me happy. That could mean a lot of things, but what I'd like to see out of Rebirth:

John Stewart starring in Green Lanterns.
    John Stewart not being in Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps.

I'm not saying the comment assures that, but at least it means there will likely be something for me to look forward to. Also, Ethan Van Sciver said the plan was for him to go to the main Green Lantern book after Edge of Oblivion. It's possible that's still the plan going into Rebirth. I think (know) Van Sciver already knows that some of us are unhappy with John being pushed aside in Edge of Oblivion, so I don't know why he would think I'd be happy with him being pushed aside in some other book.
    Last edited by Desh; 02-21-2016 at 12:55 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    Well, the comment from Ethan Van Sciver leads me to believe he is or will be working on something that (he believes) will make me happy. That could mean a lot of things, but what I'd like to see out of Rebirth:

John Stewart starring in Green Lanterns.
    John Stewart not being in Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps.

I'm not saying the comment assures that, but at least it means there will likely be something for me to look forward to. Also, Ethan Van Sciver said the plan was for him to go to the main Green Lantern book after Edge of Oblivion. It's possible that's still the plan going into Rebirth. I think (know) Van Sciver already knows that some of us are unhappy with John being pushed aside in Edge of Oblivion, so I don't know why he would think I'd be happy with him being pushed aside in some other book.
    I'm with you all the way on the hoped-for expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Götterdämmerung View Post
    That's definitely a pervasive question here, and deservedly so. By the way, AWESOME avatar!
    Thank you.

Extraordinary Member

If you read the other GL threads, John Stewart fans should shut up, and be happy the character is still around.

BANNED

Yeah, it's way past time he got his due. If this were Marvel, he'd have been heading the franchise since the early 2000s, like Captain Marvel is over at Marvel. Let's see what Rebirth brings.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    Yeah, it's way past time he got his due. If this were Marvel, he'd have been heading the franchise since the early 2000s, like Captain Marvel is over at Marvel. Let's see what Rebirth brings.
    Hilarious, but true about Marvel fully exploiting John Stewart.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Hilarious, but true about Marvel fully exploiting John Stewart.
    Well, since DC apparently took lessons from Marvel more than once in the past, I wouldn't doubt we will all be in for some good news regarding John soon.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I'm hoping this Rebirth gives us:
    -John Stewart GL solo book (although I think this is a long shot because DC seems to like him being on a GLC book)
    -Hal GL solo book
    -GLC solo book (starring Kilowog and other GL's not named Hal or John)
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    And yes, in the scenario you mention, I'd care about the book because it would have John Stewart. Otherwise, I wouldn't care about the book and wouldn't buy it at all... so removing John Stewart from the equation wouldn't get me to care about Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz. I don't mean to speak for everyone, but I'm sure the same would be true for others... and not just regarding John Stewart, but buying a book about these new characters that don't have very strong followings.
    And that's the opportunity to give them a strong following. Pairing them with long term GLs just doesn't do them any favors. Give them a good creative team and heavy promotion and see them sink or swim like Anthony Shaw mentioned before. Also the movie doesn't come out for a really long time, so I wouldn't expect any type of specific John/Hal centered promotion in comics and other media until at least 2019. Unless the Justice League Action cartoon just decides to throw in all the GLs as recurring Leaguers, which would be a smart decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    I'm hoping this Rebirth gives us:
    -John Stewart GL solo book (although I think this is a long shot because DC seems to like him being on a GLC book)
    -Hal GL solo book
    -GLC solo book (starring Kilowog and other GL's not named Hal or John)
    This would be a perfect scenario anytime. Have the two most popular GLs in solo books, and have the other less popular in GLC. Also unless memory deceives me, sucks that Alan Scott hasn't had a solo book in like 6 decades. They could at least give the guy a miniseries, he was the one who started it all.
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-22-2016 at 03:37 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    sucks that Alan Scott hasn't had a solo book in like 6 decades. They could at least give the guy a miniseries, he was the one who started it all.
    Plus, it seems to me Alan is still an interesting character, with or without "the new gay thing". I mean in terms of superpowers, "old school" personality. He always adds some spice to a story.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Götterdämmerung View Post
    Well, since DC apparently took lessons from Marvel more than once in the past, I wouldn't doubt we will all be in for some good news regarding John soon.
    I am pretty much in "wait & see" mode. Time & again, writers have said plans were in store for John, just to get treated to the same grim-dark, stoic guy stuff when the books are released.

I am a bit more optimistic this time.