Page 118 of 568 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128168218 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 8518

On a whim, I decided to take another look at Green Lantern: Rebirth. I've never seen such fan-ish writing from a professional in my life o____o

John Stewart is depicted as a complete bootlicking stooge and cheerleader to Hal Jordan. And then there's the abuse done to Batman... my word. That comic book is so bad. And I only read part of the first issue. Next to Cosmic Odyssey, I'd say that is the worst portrayal of John Stewart I've seen.
    Last edited by Desh; 03-17-2015 at 04:52 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    On a whim, I decided to take another look at Green Lantern: Rebirth. I've never seen such fan-ish writing from a professional in my life o____o

John Stewart is depicted as a complete bootlicking stooge and cheerleader to Hal Jordan. And then there's the abuse done to Batman... my word. That comic book is so bad. And I only read part of the first issue. Next to Cosmic Odyssey, I'd say that is the worst portrayal of John Stewart I've seen.
    Agreed. He was so subservient in that story. No backbone. He was really just there so that Hal could have a black best friend, because if there was conflict between them some would be uncomfortable. And his conversation with Batman... Ugh.
    Last edited by Captain13; 03-17-2015 at 07:26 PM.

I don't understand why some readers uses John Stewart's portrayal in Rebirth as an example of Geoff Johns caring for John Stewart.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I don't understand why some readers uses John Stewart's portrayal in Rebirth as an example of Geoff Johns caring for John Stewart.
    Because some who like that story want to believe everything is perfect about it, from every possible perspective. One thing I've noticed about many people is if they like something and someone says I don't like x thing about it, those who like it will often dispute it. For example, if there is something sexist about a show, and someone says they don't like the show because of that, another person who enjoys the show, and who the sexism doesn't affect, will put out claims that the show isn't sexist.

The people who are not John Stewart fans and who don't really care all that much how he is portrayed may use Rebirth as an example of Geoff Johns caring about the character, because, for whatever reason, they don't like John Stewart fans saying they don't like Geoff Johns' Green Lantern stories because of how he handled John Stewart. I would respect some people with that view more if they were more honest and admitted that we have a point, but they don't care because the portrayal of John Stewart doesn't affect their enjoyment. Instead, some try to argue that we're imagining things and John was portrayed excellently... which he obviously wasn't. He was just used to prop up Hal Jordan.

EDIT:
    A line from John Stewart in Rebirth:
    "There are only two people I've ever trusted in this world. [...] Yes. Kyle. And Hal"

Ugh. This is sick, because John isn't really his own man or character here. He's just a part of Hal Jordan's world. He wants to be Hal Jordan's best friend, but he isn't even that, because there's Tom Kalmaku, Barry Allen, and Oliver Queen who have better claims to that title. Therefore, John can't even be the best friend of his best friend.

Here is the same type of thing at play. John Stewart seems to only think of himself as what he is in relation to Hal Jordan, even in his own internal monologues:
    Last edited by Desh; 03-17-2015 at 08:48 PM.

BANNED

Yep pretty much they dont care and just want to protect their favorite Hal and Johns

BANNED

Because some who like that story want to believe everything is perfect about it, from every possible perspective. One thing I've noticed about many people is if they like something and someone says I don't like x thing about it, those who like it will often dispute it. For example, if there is something sexist about a show, and someone says they don't like the show because of that, another person who enjoys the show, and who the sexism doesn't affect, will put out claims that the show isn't sexist.

The people who are not John Stewart fans and who don't really care all that much how he is portrayed may use Rebirth as an example of Geoff Johns caring about the character, because, for whatever reason, they don't like John Stewart fans saying they don't like Geoff Johns' Green Lantern stories because of how he handled John Stewart. I would respect some people with that view more if they were more honest and admitted that we have a point, but they don't care because the portrayal of John Stewart doesn't affect their enjoyment. Instead, some try to argue that we're imagining things and John was portrayed excellently... which he obviously wasn't. He was just used to prop up Hal Jordan.

EDIT:
    A line from John Stewart in Rebirth:
    "There are only two people I've ever trusted in this world. [...] Yes. Kyle. And Hal"

Ugh. This is sick, because John isn't really his own man or character here. He's just a part of Hal Jordan's world. He wants to be Hal Jordan's best friend, but he isn't even that, because there's Tom Kalmaku, Barry Allen, and Oliver Queen who have better claims to that title. Therefore, John can't even be the best friend of his best friend.

Here is the same type of thing at play. John Stewart seems to only think of himself as what he is in relation to Hal Jordan, even in his own internal monologues:
    Yeah, I can't remember Hal ever saying I'm John Stewart's partner. Johns found other ways to define Hal, but he couldn't find any way to define John outside of "obligatory sidekick."

Compare that writing to what the recent creative teams have done with John and Guy. That's a more plausible, less degrading friendship.

The infamous panel from Sinestro Corps War:

hrmmm...

So bad...

You'd never see the reverse.
    Last edited by Captain13; 03-18-2015 at 06:03 AM.

Then there was romantically pairing John up with a brainwashed girl, as if there is nothing wrong with that. He couldn't even have a love interest that legitimately loved him.

I am so happy that overly long run is over D:

Cullen Bunn has a sub forum here on this site. I wonder if it would be a good idea to go there and discuss what we'd like to see (and not see) from John Stewart.

BANNED

Then there was romantically pairing John up with a brainwashed girl, as if there is nothing wrong with that. He couldn't even have a love interest that legitimately loved him.

I am so happy that overly long run is over D:

Cullen Bunn has a sub forum here on this site. I wonder if it would be a good idea to go there and discuss what we'd like to see (and not see) from John Stewart.
    I don't think they're allowed to take suggestions for legal reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    I don't think they're allowed to take suggestions for legal reasons.
    Perhaps I worded that poorly. I'm not talking about anything plot specific, but what we like about the character and things that have been done to him that we don't like.

BANNED

Perhaps I worded that poorly. I'm not talking about anything plot specific, but what we like about the character and things that have been done to him that we don't like.
    Gotcha! My bad. That may still come across as annoying. If he is interested in what we think, he'll come here. It may not be a bad idea to post a link to this thread though.

I'm more than sure that writers lurk here all the time. I don't see why Cullen Bunn wouldn't check this thread every once and a while if he's writing a book focusing on John Stewart being the star. I believe Van Jensen done the same thing as well. I remembered months ago, we've been discussing that John Stewart shouldn't have any ties to any Green Lanterns in his origin. Van Jensen answered our request by applying it in John's origin story in Secret Origins.

In Cullen Bunn's hosted forum, it would be better to ask questions about his thoughts and plans on John Stewart. I don't think Cullen Bunn or any other writers should answer us in this thread.

I'm confident Cullen Bunn is going to do a good job with John Stewart's character. Green Lantern Lost Army is getting lots of attention recently and bringing in new readers. So the first issue is going to be the most important and Cullen Bunn knows that

BANNED

'I don't have to do anything but stay black'

That line makes me cringe!

Extraordinary Member

Reading those scans.....remembering those stories.......damn.......no love for Stewart at all. They really tried to kill the momentum the character garnered after JL/JLU went off the air.

Also, it is stuff like this that explains why the GL fan bases are so fractured. Every character should have gotten their time to shine, but instead, we got story after story telling is why some GL's were cool as opposed to showing us while other GL's, like John Stewart got wall-flowered. The funny part is Johns did Hal no favors by constantly sending him into epic after epic with no slow down for character development. I did not even blink when Sinestro took over the book because Hal was little more than an action figure that was losing his luster.

DC has themselves to blame for not fully utilizing all the important characters in the GL franchise to their fullest.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Reading those scans.....remembering those stories.......damn.......no love for Stewart at all. They really tried to kill the momentum the character garnered after JL/JLU went off the air.
    Yeah, they tried to kill it, but as skyvolt mentioned, popular cartoons are considerably more powerful and influential than comics (even popular ones). They did do some damage, though, because now we have some comic book fans who say "Why would anyone like John Stewart? He sucks in the comics." Or, "he has no stories," or, "he's a one dimensional character," or "he's a supporting character," and so on. Of course, none of that is true, but if one was to only go by Geoff Johns Green Lantern comics (and plenty of them do) then I could understand them having those sentiments.

Also, it is stuff like this that explains why the GL fan bases are so fractured. Every character should have gotten their time to shine, but instead, we got story after story telling is why some GL's were cool as opposed to showing us while other GL's, like John Stewart got wall-flowered.

DC has themselves to blame for not fully utilizing all the important characters in the GL franchise to their fullest.
    It's largely about DC abusing their own characters. I understand not every Green Lantern can be the star all the time, because realistically, there isn't enough room for that, but DC totally tears Green Lanterns apart while they force on you why another one is awesome. And it just goes back and forth depending on the opinions of the editors and writers at the time. If they weren't so abusive to their own characters, then I don't believe the fanbase would be so fractured and hostile. Although, I'm not going to fool myself, it would still be there, because some people just want to read about "their" version of the character, and if it's not them, they'll complain no matter what, and I understand that, too, because when I really get down to it, John is the only human GL I really care a lot about. And I think DC really needs to stop creating more of these characters, or even derivatives like Power Ring. The Green Lantern fanbase doesn't need even more division than it already has.

Well, I just read the latest New Guardians. It doesn't look DC is returning Kyle Rayner to a Green Lantern so I don't believe he'll have a regular part in Lost Army. I'm think the same thing will be the case for Guy Gardner. They may appear, but I have a hunch they won't be regulars.
    Last edited by Desh; 03-18-2015 at 10:00 PM.

Blame it on the Rain

I'm going to start a John Stewart fan-club someday, which will offer every new member a free green raincoat, in honor of the heroic Green Lantern's commitment to planet Earth.

raincoat.jpg