Page 3 of 568 FirstFirst 12345671353103503 ... LastLast

IMO, GLC #29 is amazing. #30 is the weakest from Jensen's run, but it explains the origin of the Durlans, so it may be good to see. It's not horrible, but it's exposition heavy, and the art is below par for GLC. I'm really enjoying Van Jensen's run on GLC. Best Green Lantern comic series I've read in ages, and ages, and ages.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    The JL cartoon with John Stewart was awesome.
    That's probably my favorite version of John.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

John is the BEST GL! I first encountered him in Justice League of America Vol. 1 #110 back in 1974.

I'm curious who people think John Stewart's best love interest is. He's had a number of REALLY good ones (this is in multiple posts because of the forum's restrictions on image posting).

Katma Tui

From a traditional comic book point of view, this is his biggest love interest. I really like the relationship between John and Kat. If you haven't read much of it, I suggest picking up volumes 2 and 3 of the Green Lantern: Sector 2814 trades. Really great stuff in there, and without a doubt one of my favorite runs of any Green Lantern comics. I also loved her in the Justice League episode "Hearts and Minds."

Last edited by Desh; 05-08-2014 at 05:34 PM.

There's also Rose Hardin.

From Green Lantern: Mosaic. A hillbilly who shared John's fervor for bringing the disparate settlements of the Mosaic together and creating a cohesive society. She's excellent, too. Their relationship developed really well, except I don't quite like how it ended. The situation just left Rose out in the cold.

His most famous one is without a doubt Hawkgirl.

As much as I love some of the others, I think this will always be my favorite. It's the most captivating superhero relationship I've yet encountered. It's not at all traditional, and that's great! Now, it kinda' is, though. When people think of one character, they often think of the other. The relationship was handled so well, and was so popular, now they're each other's most famous love interests. I really wish DC would do something with the relationship, instead of letting it linger in only one interpretation.

Fatality

I actually hated this when Johns and Tomasi put it together. But I really don't like much of anything they did when it came to John Stewart (the little they did). However, Van Jensen has really warmed me up to the couple. I actually kinda' like it now. Jensen is so great at writing characters that I couldn't help but start to get into it more. I'm interested to see where he's going with them. Also, Bernard Chang draws a great Fatality. Fernando Pasarin's was kinda' blegh to me. He's not the best at drawing women, as many Batgirl fans will tell you.

There are some others, too. Merayne Dethalis and Tawny Young, for instance. So, who do you like John with the most?

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rey Leopard View Post
    John is the BEST GL! I first encountered him in Justice League of America Vol. 1 #110 back in 1974.
    How was it like reading John Stewart as he developed? A lot of the stories I read were years after they happened. How did you feel about stories like Cosmic Odssey?

As for love interests, for me it would have to be either Katma Tui or Hawkgirl. I have mixed opinions on Fatality. On the one hand, Stewart hasn't had a black love interest in years and the one he was with (Tawny), I didn't like how Englehart wrote her. But on the other hand, Fatality worked better as a villain until they shoehorned her into the Sinestro Corps and then into the Star Sapphires. Van Jensen makes it work but I'm still on the fence with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    That's probably my favorite version of John.
    I agree. Though Van Jensen's writing on John's character is no different than JL/JLU John.

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    Fatality

I actually hated this when Johns and Tomasi put it together. But I really don't like much of anything they did when it came to John Stewart (the little they did). However, Van Jensen has really warmed me up to the couple. I actually kinda' like it now. Jensen is so great at writing characters that I couldn't help but start to get into it more. I'm interested to see where he's going with them. Also, Bernard Chang draws a great Fatality. Fernando Pasarin's was kinda' blegh to me. He's not the best at drawing women, as many Batgirl fans will tell you.

There are some others, too. Merayne Dethalis and Tawny Young, for instance. So, who do you like John with the most?
    I can't really judge those other characters, since I haven't hardly read anything from the Silver Age. Thanks for the recommendation.

I like John's relationship with Hawkgirl the most. I like the way the writers took their relationship real slow as it build stronger throughout the series (that's the way I wanted to see Superman/Wonder Woman build their relationship). Since Hawkgirl was written as an aggressive character (she likes to engage into battles without thinking), I find their relationship to fit quite well, since John is the no-nonsense type of lantern. Out of all of the characters throughout the show, John can handle his relationship with Hawkgirl the most imo.

I have to get used to seeing him with Fatality though. But I'm glad he's in a relationship with someone at least. It brings better development towards his character. He's no longer "stoic" and to himself like other writers was trying to write him.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I like John's relationship with Hawkgirl the most. I like the way the writers took their relationship real slow as it build stronger throughout the series (that's the way I wanted to see Superman/Wonder Woman build their relationship). Since Hawkgirl was written as an aggressive character (she likes to engage into battles without thinking), I find their relationship to fit quite well, since John is the no-nonsense type of lantern. Out of all of the characters throughout the show, John can handle his relationship with Hawkgirl the most imo.
    No prob!
    Yeah, GL and Hawkgirl played off of each other brilliantly. She was prone to mistakes at times and easily frustrated, and he was judgmental, so it made their bickering really fun, like in episode "War World." It was great how underneath all that, they both had the strongest bond of any members of the League.

Also, this John "Diggle" Stewart stuff just keeps coming:
    http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/05/...,manual#!LkNFC

At the VERY least, this is keeping John's name in the public conscious very well. The character has popped up in headlines nearly nonstop for about a year. First, the death decree, then the nixing of the death decree and starring solo in GLC, then the movie casting rumors, from Denzel, to Idris Elba, to The Rock, to Chadwick Boseman, and now this John Diggle stuff. I do feel something big on the horizon for John Stewart! The character's been getting a lot of buzz and attention lately.

No prob!
    Yeah, GL and Hawkgirl played off of each other brilliantly. She was prone to mistakes at times and easily frustrated, and he was judgmental, so it made their bickering really fun, like in episode "War World." It was great how underneath all that, they both had the strongest bond of any members of the League.

Also, this John "Diggle" Stewart stuff just keeps coming:
    http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/05/...,manual#!LkNFC

At the VERY least, this is keeping John's name in the public conscious very well. The character has popped up in headlines nearly nonstop for about a year. First, the death decree, then the nixing of the death decree and starring solo in GLC, then the movie casting rumors, from Denzel, to Idris Elba, to The Rock, to Chadwick Boseman, and now this John Diggle stuff. I do feel something big on the horizon for John Stewart! The character's been getting a lot of buzz and attention lately.
    I totally agree about John's relationship with Hawkgirl.

It's exciting news if true about John Diggle being John Stewart. Although some John fans may frown upon Diggle playing as a sidekick. But I don't think it's bad at all, considering John Stewart's name is still getting some exposure throughout the media, rumored to be in the JL movie, played the highest GL role in the YJ cartoon, Van Jesen working with Nick Jones Jr, appearing in Future's end and so on. It seems the media still cares for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    How was it like reading John Stewart as he developed? A lot of the stories I read were years after they happened. How did you feel about stories like Cosmic Odssey?
    I was a little kid (10 years old in 1974) with very little money so I was not able to collect all of his appearances but I really like most of what I was able to read. Much of it is a bit outdated now. I do think that John’s best characterization was in the JL animated series.

I have mixed feeling about Cosmic Odyssey. I think it is a great Fourth World story but a horrible showcase for John. That was John in name only.

I was a little kid (10 years old in 1974) with very little money so I was not able to collect all of his appearances but I really like most of what I was able to read. Much of it is a bit outdated now. I do think that John’s best characterization was in the JL animated series.

I have mixed feeling about Cosmic Odyssey. I think it is a great Fourth World story but a horrible showcase for John. That was John in name only.
    I think John was out of character in Cosmic Odyssey. I read somewhere the script was for Guy, but got replaced by John instead. I think either Jim Starlin or someone else debunked it. I don't know how accurate it is though.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 05-08-2014 at 07:28 PM.

Astonishing Member

John Stewart is best Lantern

I think John will ultimately come out of this arc as the leader of the Green Lantern Corps. I think Van Jensen wants to show readers that he earned it and why he deserves to be leader. I don't know what that will mean for Hal Jordan, because I think Simon Baz will continue being the Earth Green Lantern.
    here's hoping. while hopefully the spectrum stuff is rested for a good while/ given over to other parts of the DCU to develop (not wiped out, cause it and JLU was what got me into GL), i'd have more faith in John hammering the other corps into a rough general direction (namely cutting out the constant wars and focus on some level of law enforcement, seeing as the reds and yellows very nominally hold to some ethos) than hal letting the reds, sapphires and yellows run free out of bias/past history towards guy, carol and sinestro. to say nothing of the ticking time bomb that the indigos are.

as for hal, stick a much-weakened parallax (as in, fear bug might be whispering sweet nothings in his head, but he's the one acting on it) back in him and be done with it?

I think John was out of character in Cosmic Odyssey. I read somewhere the script was for Guy, but got replaced by John instead. I think either Jim Starlin or someone else debunked it. I don't know how accurate it is though.
    I also remember reading that Starlin wanted to use Guy but DC had plans for Guy so told him to use John. This sounds very believable since John was way out of character in that story.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    as for hal, stick a much-weakened parallax (as in, fear bug might be whispering sweet nothings in his head, but he's the one acting on it) back in him and be done with it?
    I would love that. The only time I really like Hal Jordan is when he's Parallax.

I also remember reading that Starlin wanted to use Guy but DC had plans for Guy so told him to use John. This sounds very believable since John was way out of character in that story.
    That's ridiculous, if so, but par the course for DC. And really, that attitude John had does seem much more appropriate for a 1980s Guy, so I can believe it. DC is so dumb sometimes. I'm not going to go as far as to call them racist (though there very well may be a degree of that in there), but I'll at least say they are sometimes inconsiderate and (apparently) oblivious to how things look.

How does it look when they have the black Green Lantern be the one to majorly screw up?
    How does it look when they cancel the black Green Lantern's title for no good reason, yet keep the other titles going?
    How does it look when the black Green Lantern, who everyone knows by this point, is the one who is ignored when all the others are doing something?
    How does it look, when out of all their Green Lanterns, they plan to kill off the black one who everyone knows?

That's seriously something that DC should (and should have) considered if they really do care about diversity, because people are going to form perceptions not always on how things actually are, but often how they look and how they (the people) perceive them to be. As a mixed person, and a fan, I personally found DC to be very off-putting because of the above. I would have liked to have been more of a fan of what they were doing and indulge in their products more, but what they did in their comics was often so disappointing to me. I became a fan of John Stewart because of Justice League/Justice League Unlimited, which was not done by DC, but by Warner Animation, and I thought the character was generally treated MUCH better over there. Over in the comics, it was like he was being **** on half the time. It's not like that now with Van Jensen, and I'm fervently into their product, as I see other John Stewart fans are.

So, just a thought from a real life minority on how things actually look. And if DC is really trying to entice us, I think it's something that they may want to note.