Page 439 of 568 FirstFirst ... 339389429435436437438439440441442443449489539 ... LastLast
Results 6,571 to 6,585 of 8518

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Yeah, John may be on some promo art but Hal appears to be used more, which is annoying and concerning. Makes me think they prefer him for the JL.
    Or maybe we'll have two GL's in the League like we do right now in the comics?

Yeah, John may be on some promo art but Hal appears to be used more, which is annoying and concerning. Makes me think they prefer him for the JL.
    I'm not sure where Hal is used more, he is only featured in the DCEU intro and despite that he has his own character introduction in the beginning, during the group shot he's shown in a more background position as compared to John who is front and center and standing right next to Aquaman. I don't believe there have been any other promo images of Hal related to the DCEU.

In fact I recall there was a moment during a documentary portion in the BvS Blu-Ray bonus features, where they briefly showed comic art from the New 52 JL Origin and they had deliberately blurred Hal from the image. I had to freeze-frame it, it was the page right after Aquaman's debut where Hal says he thought Aquaman was a sketch on Conan O'Brien. All of the other members are zoomed in, while Hal is blurred out and out of focus where you can barely see him in the blurred background. If they went out of their way to do that on some comic art that you see for a few seconds during a bonus feature, I think that tells you how much WB cares about Hal Jordan, let alone favoring him over other characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    The backlash isn't going to come from John Stewart fans. It's going to come from Black moviegoers who get sick and tired of the stereotypes and lazy writing of Black characters in films. Look at #OscarsSoWhite or the Sony memos for examples of that. I remember when GL was announced and how people complained that Green Lantern was suddenly white. They didn't give a shit about legacy or Geoff Johns or any of that. They wanted to see the lantern that had been on TV for several years at that point and got Hollywood being like "Oh sorry, only white actors can draw" yet again. Was it the sole reason the first GL movie failed? No, but to act like it wasn't a factor I dunno. Hollywood is slowly and surely realizing that they can't pull that kind of crap anymore.
    Bingo. This is how I feel about it. We already saw what happened with Iron Fist, and that character actually is a white guy lol. WB would've just announced a Hal solo movie and put him on the JL team from jump if the only concern was a bad movie from a handful of years ago. B/c the Justice League still would've been the Justice League (and probably more so) if a GL was included, plus a great opportunity to make him "look good" before his solo... and the solo still would've been many years away at the time of the announcement.

But there was a big push for John Stewart and DC likely wanted to be careful with how they reacted to that mainstream response... especially when the response to Cyborg was lukewarm at best. So it stinks that John wasn't and hasn't been prioritized by DC like I'd want but it's also a testament to the general public, including celebs and news outlets, for the strong stance they took. Shoutout to Tyrese lol. Altho i still don't want him near a GL ring

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    Yea DC wrote themselves into a corner trying to give us the okie doke with Cyborg. Now the best they can do is have a black superhero "co-lead" a movie.

Honestly, I think the long ambiguity in Lantern movie news, and why they ultimately avoided a GL in Justice League, had more to do with the barrage of pro-Stewart advocating by celebs and popular news publications, which would make announcing a Hal solo movie a potentially divisive decision that would cause backlash. And the last thing an expensive movie franchise with a bad track record wants... is more bad publicity in this era of social media snow ball effect.

I think that's why they ultimately settled on the "buddy cop" concept, and to instead backdoor Hal into the League after they cover their ass by putting it out there that John will be a "co-star" with Hal. Otherwise, they'd have just announced Hal as part of the Justice League from jump and been done with it, b/c ppl aren't going to pass on JL just because a GL is in there. And they'd have just announced another Hal solo movie with a "diverse" supporting cast that includes John and maybe a hispanic actor as Kyle. But they wanted to make it known that John is going to be equal billing. And now your seeing they are using a little more promo and the JL actors to slowly prime people for a Hal League appearance.
    I do remember there's been lots of talk about John Stewart and all of those rumors back around 2014. John actually has been talked about more than any other Green Lantern around that time. John has tremendous amount of support from celebs, news and other media outlets. John Stewart was more of a necessity than anything.

About Hal being in the League or whether or not they want him there, I don't know. Every since the 2011 movie, some producers were even hesitant to use him in the Lego Batman series, which the makers of the movie had to beg TPTB to put Hal in it. I would say Geoff Johns is doing everything he can to push the character, but even then WB is still trying to avoid the Green Lantern brand.

Spectacular Member

Since no one has posted in a month, I'm going to make a comment over the fact that John Stewart didn't have an appearance in this recent of Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps. He's nothing more than a minor character in this series compared to Hal, Kyle and to an extent Guy, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr HardKnocks View Post
    Since no one has posted in a month, I'm going to make a comment over the fact that John Stewart didn't have an appearance in this recent of Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps. He's nothing more than a minor character in this series compared to Hal, Kyle and to an extent Guy, as well.
    That's hardly the case, this issue just chose to focus solely on Hal, which hadn't happen in a long time as far as this particular book is concerned. John was instrumental in defeating the Sinestro Corps after Soranik snapped and personally I've been enjoying his stint as a Corps leader. The most common criticism I've seen about that is him sitting around and barking orders, with Hal and Kyle doing all the action. I don't see that as a downgrade for the character, if anything it's the opposite. John is no longer an ordinary Green Lantern officer patrolling a space sector, he's the leader. As such, he's not going to get personally involved anytime the Lanterns engage in a fight with someone. Do we see someone like Darkseid on the frontlines anytime his Parademons attack another planet? No, he just sits on his throne, laughs and barks orders, unless he deems it absolutely necessary to get personally involved. This book has treated John with respect by portraying him as a capable, responsible, intelligent and most importantly, effective leader, while having to balance out many characters at once. I'm sure that's no easy task, but at times the title character is simply going to get all of the attention. That's just the way it is.
    Last edited by Johnny; 09-13-2017 at 10:37 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    That's hardly the case, this issue just chose to focus solely on Hal, which hadn't happen in a long time as far as this particular book is concerned. John was instrumental in defeating the Sinestro Corps after Soranik snapped and personally I've been enjoying his stint as a Corps leader. The most common criticism I've seen about that is him sitting around and barking orders, with Hal and Kyle doing all the action. I don't see that as a downgrade for the character, if anything it's the opposite. John is no longer an ordinary Green Lantern officer patrolling a space sector, he's the leader. As such, he's not going to get personally involved anytime the Lanterns engage in a fight with someone. Do we see someone like Darkseid on the frontlines anytime his Parademons attack another planet? No, he just sits on his throne, laughs and barks orders, unless he deems it absolutely necessary to get personally involved. This book has treated John with respect by portraying him as a capable, responsible, intelligent and most importantly, effective leader, while having to balance out many characters at once. I'm sure that's no easy task, but at times the title character is simply going to get all of the attention. That's just the way it is.
    Venditti still had Hal involved in missions when he was Corps leader.

Venditti still had Hal involved in missions when he was Corps leader.
    Which was deliberate since Venditti wanted to showcase Hal as an incompetent leader, so he could eventually do the Renegade story and make John the new leader afterwards. Unfortunately both The Darkseid War and DC You messed with those plans, hence Renegade was so half-assed and the other Lanterns were sent to the old universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr HardKnocks View Post
    Since no one has posted in a month,
    I'm going to say this thread isn't what it used to be anymore because

1) Many John Stewart fan members has been permanently banned from this site
    2) John Stewart fans doesn't support Hal's book and isn't interested in what's going on with him in DC, due to not having his own book or featured in JL
    3) They just moved on to do other things, because they got tired of it

I'm going to make a comment over the fact that John Stewart didn't have an appearance in this recent of Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps. He's nothing more than a minor character in this series compared to Hal, Kyle and to an extent Guy, as well.
    Although I am a John Stewart fanboy, I wouldn't say he's nothing more than a minor character in this series compared to Kyle and to an extent Guy as well. From what I seen, he seems to have a stronger prominence than Guy and Kyle in some ways. I certainly don't want it to be like the Geoff Johns' era. It may suck for us John Stewart fans, but one thing's for sure is that Robert Venditti is the only writer that tries to give every character here a focus, which other GL writers failed to do. It could always be worse. And who knows, there may be a single issue like this one with only John having an appearance one day.

Geoff Johns or any previous GL writer wouldn't allow John to be flying front and center like you see there.

DC just needs to change the title already and call it Green Lantern Corps, it's certainly misleading.

Yep, I agree, Johnny. I personally thought Greg Rucka was one of the best Wonder Woman writers during the post-crisis era. When Diana became an ambassador on the series, there was hardly any action going on in Rucka's early run. The series focused on her Amazonian influence towards American culture when Diana written a book. It was a great development. The lack of action certainly didn't take away the quality of the book.

The most common criticism I've seen about that is him sitting around and barking orders, with Hal and Kyle doing all the action.
    Looking at the leaked December solicits, it looks like John Stewart may be in some action and may be in the front lines this time, because the Guardians got kidnapped. If this is indeed true, then I guess that John is taking this very personal. So I don't think John fans, who criticized this issue should worry about John not getting any action this time around.

I hope I'm not the only one who interpret that description.

And finally his name is mentioned in a solicit.

"TWILIGHT OF THE GUARDIANS" part two! Captured by their oldest foes, the Controllers, the remaining Guardians of the Universe fight for their lives as Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner race across the cosmos to rescue them. But this Green Lantern strike team may not uncover the clues in time to save their mentors from a deranged plan that would leave the Controllers in charge of the universe!
    edit: I think I'm right. Francis Manapul posted up a picture of John Stewart and Guy Gardner, calling them Lethal Weapons, where John seems to be fighting alongside with Guy. I do know that he's going to be the artist for the cover, but he may be doing art in the book.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 09-15-2017 at 03:23 PM.

He's only doing covers, much to my disappointment but I'll take what I can get I suppose. Here's his cover to #34.

edit: Also Jack Herbert is drawing some of those issues, his work on John Stewart looks really good.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWaI8ZMA...by=jackherbert

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYOkHObA...by=jackherbert
    Last edited by Johnny; 09-16-2017 at 04:01 AM.

Extraordinary Member

That is some beautiful artwork, guys.

Len Wein quietly brought John back into the lime light back in the 1980's. It is easy to give all the credit to Steve Englehart.

Speaking of beautiful artwork, here is an old school cover.

I did hear some things about what Len Wein did for John Stewart. That was pretty awesome. It's sad to see another writer leave this world R.I.P.

edit: Also Jack Herbert is drawing some of those issues, his work on John Stewart looks really good.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWaI8ZMA...by=jackherbert

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYOkHObA...by=jackherbert
    Jack Herbert's art looks great.

John Stewart has that "heavy thinker" look pose in the second link. Looks badass LOL.

Incredible Member

Wanted to get Injustice 2 for John Stewart but until I get a steep discount for that one, this Youtube video will do...