Page 391 of 568 FirstFirst ... 291341381387388389390391392393394395401441491 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,865 of 8518
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    That's just way too many actors for DC not to realize there's so much potential for this character.

Come to think of it, since both Hal and John are going to be on film, that means John is the second GL from Earth. So it explains the retcon in Green Lanterns Rebirth that John being the second Green Lantern from Earth, while Guy was originally the in that 2nd spot. This was also hinted back around Godhead in Van Jensen's run. Don't know whether this was retconned due to the upcoming film, though.
    The mention in Godhead probably wouldn't have been, as that was written in 2014 while we've only just had the writers for the film announced in early 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    We're not getting sidekicks here and noone is going to be degraded. If anything, seems like there's real possibility that Hal would be the supporting obsolete character here. If Hal is there as a veteran who shows John the ropes and helps him work within the Corp, they could've done that same thing with Kilowog or Tomar-Re or any alien mentor type Lantern instead. If you're looking for something to complain about, you always will. Even if John is the more prominent character, someone could decide to complain about "the white guy teaching the black guy".

As far as I'm concerned if it's supposed to be about equality, then just make it about equality. I don't like the "origin story" I'm hearing. They could briefly show both characters' origin in the opening sequence with the rest of the movie taking place years later with them being sector partners. There's no need for another story about how someone got their power ring. Make it a brief introduction in the beginning and get on with it. I'm worried about that aspect much more than I am with John's character status in the movie.
    Would you accept an opening sequence similar to how they did it with BvS?

I was also expecting for both characters to be experienced ring slingers, before the news broke out. If the story is true, then it does look like the story is going to more focused on John's origin and his relationship with Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, while Hal is going to be the veteran GL. Hal Jordan possibly being older as well. I honestly am a bit surprised they're going this route. There's still more information needed, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    The mention in Godhead probably wouldn't have been, as that was written in 2014 while we've only just had the writers for the film announced in early 2017.
    True.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    You know what really sucks? Now you can't dodge Johns's crappy writing. Whether movie, video game, tv show, or comic his influence will be on everything. Also, why would you bring back the same guy who torpedoed Blade and made Batman vs. Superman a massive joke? It's like they fail upwards or something what the hell. Before Dark Knight gets brought up that was more down to Christopher Nolan and those movies don't hold up. They looked great compared to Batman Forever and Batman and Robin but the more you watch them the more comedic they become.
    This is Geoff Johns' chance to sink or swim.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    NOBODY is going wait 3 years for them to do something with John. Nobody is going to accept sidekick roles, being talked down or anything else degrading. If he is going to be a lead in a movie-we are PAST that stage now. Like we were when he was on that cartoon show. You have to start NOW.

Because DC is in damage control mode now with John Stewart. They WILLINGLY told his fans to get lost. That is one group you have to win back.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage View Post
    Desh is Right as Usual.

John will be playing back up to Hal. Probably wont even get laid.

I will always hate Goyer for Blade III. And Geoff well we have seen what he thinks of John Stewart over a decade. IMO, John Stewart is only getting used because WB higher-ups told him to.

A properly done JS could rival Black Panther. Cyborg though stands zero chance.
    A great story could feature Hal & John dealing with (dirty space cop) Sinestro's subjugation of Korugar. Thus, fans can see Hal vs. Sinestro in live action for the first time, and the romance between John & Katma.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Would you accept an opening sequence similar to how they did it with BvS?
    Yep and a character like GL needs that kind of introduction way more than Batman does. At this point I cringe pretty much every time I see pearls in any movie, cause I'm dead tired of that gotdamn origin. But yeah, maybe split the opening sequence in two, first one about Hal, second about John, do some basic 101 about who these two people are and you're set. Having John as an ordinary human for a portion of the movie before he gets chosen is wrong imo. I suspect the two may actually know each other before John becomes a GL though. They met for the first time in Secret Origin and I'm pretty certain some of Johns' material would still be used for this movie as well. Based on that, I don't know if Hal would be much older than John. I've never been a big fan of the older mentor/younger rookie thing anyway, I just don't understand the appeal. Training Day was probably the one exception where I really got a kick out of that type of dynamic, due to Denzel being the corrupt asshole cop. I don't want a cocky wisecracking middle-aged Hal Jordan. And you know under Geoff's supervision, that's exactly what his demeanor is going to be like, whether young or older. Hal can have a few years on John, but not something like a decade and a half. Have both be around their mid 30s is the best way to go imo.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-13-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    This is Geoff Johns' chance to sink or swim.
    I'd say JL will determine whether he has a job by then or not . even if he and Affleck don't have nearly as much of a leash on Synder as we think, he is very obviously is the designated fall-guy for DC's leadership if it all goes belly up

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

A great story could feature Hal & John dealing with (dirty space cop) Sinestro's subjugation of Korugar. Thus, fans can see Hal vs. Sinestro in live action for the first time, and the romance between John & Katma.
    Agreed. I think the recruitment and training of John by Hal, their initial dislike of each other, Sinestro's fall from grace and the rise of his Corps are all almost certainties for the movie, in that it gives Hal & John a fun relationship to build, while also giving Hal his most compelling villain and John his most compelling romantic interest.

Don't screw this up, DC...

Ultimate Member

I could go with that.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    What does that make 6 different actors? Time for DC to take a hint.

YES. Ask Jada Smith, Omar Epps & Usher about that.

We have seen many times stuff get promoted making you think someone was going to do something in a film and LOL-guess who dies at the first few minutes (Smith & Epps in Scream 2) or has 95% of his footage cut (Usher in Faulty)?

Did we not have poster edit us out in other countries? Ask Fashon Love at that or John Boyea.

NOBODY is going wait 3 years for them to do something with John. Nobody is going to accept sidekick roles, being talked down or anything else degrading. If he is going to be a lead in a movie-we are PAST that stage now. Like we were when he was on that cartoon show. You have to start NOW.

Because DC is in damage control mode now with John Stewart. They WILLINGLY told his fans to get lost. That is one group you have to win back.
    Desh is Right as Usual.

I will always hate Goyer for Blade III. And Geoff well we have seen what he thinks of John Stewart over a decade. IMO, John Stewart is only getting used because WB higher-ups told him to.

Can't be better said.....

Spectacular Member

Geoff Johns is persona non grata to me in regards to comics. Because of his handling of John Stewart and Cyborg. I don't support nothing of his that he writes. The last thing I read of his was his Hal Jordon wank-off fest, Green Lantern Rebirth.

Incredible Member

This shows that someone out there in WB/DC is listening to us John Stewart fangs complaints. I don't mind the Lethal weapon setting but preferably both getting the rooms at the same time. Having one being elder/experienced to the other will only add to the acrimony between John and Hal fans

Plus it's Geoff Johns. Judging by the past 10+ years, it's basically illogical for him to turn his golden boy into an elder statesman. He was the one who de-aged the guy in the first place and at the start of the New 52 he loved to write him as a 20 something man-child. To turn him back into the early 90s Hal for a Green Lantern reboot movie makes no sense to me, since the modern day Hal Jordan is the young brash loose cannon version. I'm not sure why people seem to think he would be a veteran anyway, the article didn't mention any details about Hal, just that John has yet to join the Corps. For all we know Hal can be not much different than his Green Lantern TAS version, where he was experienced and clearly had tenure as a GL, but certainly wasn't washed up, he was still a young guy in his prime. I'd be perfectly fine with a late 20s/early 30s John and a mid-30s Hal.

Desh is Right as Usual.

There's not really much information for John to be played as a backup. If Geoff Johns had full control, I could see that happening with John playing as a backup and being the black best friend or John won't be in the movie at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm DEFINITELY not sold on it, since John always got bad treatment for years by DC (although DC isn't WB). I'm more than sure having John Stewart was a forced decision by WB that Geoff Johns has to accept.

Geoff Johns is one of the main reasons I don't read much from DC anymore. Although he's a very talented writer and able to fix the DC Universe whenever it goes in it's decline, he has a bad history of treating black DC characters. So I lost my trust on him.

BANNED

I would agree but then we have Goyer who wouldn't let Blade get laid onscreen although its kinda implied in Blade II and then tried to replace him with white leads in Blade III which let anyone kill vampires with ease in close range.