Page 444 of 568 FirstFirst ... 344394434440441442443444445446447448454494544 ... LastLast
Results 6,646 to 6,660 of 8518
    DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I'm sure someone could make it work, but I don't think it would be easy, nor as interesting as setting John & Hal free to spend time on Earth and space, doing more updated take on the Hard-Travelling Heroes era that John was created from. I think being political is part of John's DNA, and I'd love to see a writer like Bendis, who's shown himself capable of doing overtly political storylines that are still fun superhero stories, take a crack at John & Hal butting heads over various issues without it devolving to the preachy nonsense Denny O'Neil & Neal Adams stuff reads like now.

Preist, back when he was still called Jim Owlsey, used John & Hal to great effect in this manner back in the late 1980s when he sent them both to South Africa during Apartheid.

I like Priest, but that Apartheid story was a disappointment. The way John was handled in that story left a bad taste in my mouth and seeing a Black man basically help restore the brutal Apartheid regime was a big mistake.

I don't know how I would feel about Bendis writing John Stewart. He did an alright job with Luke Cage and Miles Morales and due to his popularity they got some serious shine but there was always the sense of "now let's not make these characters too threatening". I wish somebody like China Mieville was still around. I would like to see what he could do with Green Lantern and John Stewart, preferably as a solo so that he can get more focus instead of being the distant number two (at best) unless if he's being written by someone like Van Jensen. Another choice (which will never happen) would be the team of Tony Puryear and Erika Alexander. I liked the work they did with Concrete Park and would love to see how they would handle someone like John Stewart and the concept of the Green Lantern Corps.

Extraordinary Member

I'm not sure if Bendis would be a great fit for John Stewart.

As previously noted Benis is no bueno when it comes to cosmic.

However, a crime saga in a cosmic setting might be fun, if Bendis is working with the right editor.

Benis could be that writer to give a really good Lethal Weapon in space.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post

However, a crime saga in a cosmic setting might be fun, if Bendis is working with the right editor.

Why do Lethal Weapon in space when they could do The Fifth Element but with power rings instead? I'd read that.

Or Jack T. Chance in Taxi or Dirty Harry.

Lethal Weapon's too easy and predictable. Hell, Deadwood in space would be great too. Has Bendis ever done a western?

Extraordinary Member

Those are great ideas, CD.

In regards to the Priest/Apartheid story, I don't him anywhere near John Stewart.

The damage Priest & Starlin (two writers I do enjoy) inflicted on John Stewart is still being felt today.

Men in Black is probably a better template for a GL buddy cop film than Lethal Weapon as well. I can easily see John being Agent J and Hal playing the Tommy Lee Jones role.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post

I hope Bendis would treat John better then he treated War Machine.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    While I didn't like how he treated Rhodey in CWII, he only killed him off to explain why another black character would become the star of the Iron Man book. Poorly thought out and executed on several levels, but I don't think he had anything against Rhodey.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    While I didn't like how he treated Rhodey in CWII, he only killed him off to explain why another black character would become the star of the Iron Man book. Poorly thought out and executed on several levels, but I don't think he had anything against Rhodey.
    I don't think Bendis really has anything against the characters he writes in bad situations (unless they're Tigra), but that doesn't mean I give him a pass for how he bungled writing them.

BANNED

I don't think Bendis really has anything against the characters he writes in bad situations (unless they're Tigra), but that doesn't mean I give him a pass for how he bungled writing them.
    Fair enough.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

In retrospect, it's probably more likely that Bendis, if he ends up doing GL, would handle the Jessica & Simon title, because those characters are relatively new enough he wouldn't have to worry about fans claiming he's ignoring their previously established decades-long backstories because neither of them have much of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    In retrospect, it's probably more likely that Bendis, if he ends up doing GL, would handle the Jessica & Simon title, because those characters are relatively new enough he wouldn't have to worry about fans claiming he's ignoring their previously established decades-long backstories because neither of them have much of one.
    I can see him writing Simon.

Jessica...would be very interesting.

Though out of any GL the one I can see him loving to write the most is Guy .

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Men in Black is probably a better template for a GL buddy cop film than Lethal Weapon as well. I can easily see John being Agent J and Hal playing the Tommy Lee Jones role.
    This really works if John Stewart is the audience surrogate, as I suspect he will be.

On a side note, I am really glad Will Smith is not playing John Stewart.

I believe Will Smith would kill it as Mister Terrific. I think he was miscast as Deadshot.

Extraordinary Member

I just have one response.....<Ouch!>

Extraordinary Member

I can see him writing Simon.

Jessica...would be very interesting.

Though out of any GL the one I can see him loving to write the most is Guy .
    Bendis writing Guy would either be a masterpiece, or a train wreck one could not refrain from turning away from.

Either way, I would check that story out.

Spectacular Member

Okay, I will be seeing Justice League tonight but from what I’ve read, Cyborg doesn’t really have a presence like the others. This may lead to him not getting a film at all, which means that DC doesn’t have a black character to challenge Black panther. In spite of the JL controversies from the reviews to Joss Whedons tweets, I think DC could really turn things around using John Stewart. He has notoriety beyond the comics. But as long as he’s subservant to Hal Jordan, DC won’t be able to challenge Marvel.