Page 103 of 568 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 8518
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    It still baffles me that Katma has yet to be brought back. She was a supporting character long before she ever met John Stewart.
    Yeah, but she HATED Hal Jordan. Ask the Lost Lanterns how that turned out for them. :P

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    Yeah, but she HATED Hal Jordan. Ask the Lost Lanterns how that turned out for them. :P
    That is one of the things that puzzles me. Johns went through great lengths to undo a lot of bad writing done to Hal.

Absolutely nothing was done for John during that time.

It does show how little regard the creative teams had for Stewart for so long.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

I never got that impression from her at all. Yeah, Jordan was a bit of sexist but that was how most Silver Age heroes were written at Marvel and DC. The only time I recall her disliking him was when he quit the GLC to be with Carol. She saw him as a hypocrite because he was the one who told her to stay with the GLC instead of getting married to her fiance.

Which led to this:
    tumblr_lmlaofbM6n1qd6h8q.jpg

Speaking of which, that was a pretty good story by Broome.

I think the reason Katma hasn't come back is because Soranik is around and I guess they felt Katma would be redundant. That's silly as hell considering they're rather different characters and considering how Soranik is of a different race on Korugar (unless if that was changed), there's a lot that could be explored there. Also wish they would have done more with Katma considering that in Emerald Dawn II it was revealed that she led the rebellion against Sinestro and was a member of his youth league.

That is one of the things that puzzles me. Johns went through great lengths to undo a lot of bad writing done to Hal.

Well, Johns added his Marine background. It was like he watched the first episode of the first season of Justice League and decided that was how John would be from that point on. It was fun to read Green Lantern Corps with Tomasi and Gibbons and then read GL and be like "Where's John? Isn't he Hal's partner?" But that's water under the bridge for me and I hope that never, ever, EVER happens again.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Well, Johns added his Marine background. It was like he watched the first episode of the first season of Justice League and decided that was how John would be from that point on. It was fun to read Green Lantern Corps with Tomasi and Gibbons and then read GL and be like "Where's John? Isn't he Hal's partner?" But that's water under the bridge for me and I hope that never, ever, EVER happens again.
    John was afterthought with the previous regime.

I am ever thankful times have changed.

BANNED

I never got that impression from her at all. Yeah, Jordan was a bit of sexist but that was how most Silver Age heroes were written at Marvel and DC. The only time I recall her disliking him was when he quit the GLC to be with Carol. She saw him as a hypocrite because he was the one who told her to stay with the GLC instead of getting married to her fiance.

Which led to this:
    tumblr_lmlaofbM6n1qd6h8q.jpg
    I got a different impression, considering Katma's constant glee at Hal's misfortune.

Redundancy may seem more likely, but there are supposed to be two Lanterns from each sector. One could have been Katma. Or she could have been part of the honor guard...

BANNED

I did find it strange that Hal was exonerated of Parallax, while John was continuously hammered with Xanshi, an older story that few people have actually read at this point.

I did find it strange that Hal was exonerated of Parallax, while John was continuously hammered with Xanshi, an older story that few people have actually read at this point.
    He is constantly "hammered" with Xanshi I assume because the writers can't seem to come up with something equally tragic to happen to him. Whereas with Hal they seem to throw more tragedy at him all the time. To me, killing Mogo and a fellow lantern aren't on the same level as destroying a planet full of people.

Extraordinary Member

I got a different impression, considering Katma's constant glee at Hal's misfortune.

Redundancy may seem more likely, but there are supposed to be two Lanterns from each sector. One could have been Katma. Or she could have been part of the honor guard...
    I am jokingly playing the role of the paranoid here, but I wonder if Kat remained dead due to being seen as a Hal-hater.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by buffalorock View Post
    He is constantly "hammered" with Xanshi I assume because the writers can't seem to come up with something equally tragic to happen to him. Whereas with Hal they seem to throw more tragedy at him all the time. To me, killing Mogo and a fellow lantern aren't on the same level as destroying a planet full of people.
    I view it as the writers being not all that interested in John. It would have been much easier to simply retcon Xanshi. The animosity Fatality held for John could have come from something else.

I also see it as DC wanting to wall flower John so Hal could be the undisputed GL. Back then, I never asked that John be the top dog, just give him some cool character arcs while Hal remained the main eventer.

As I said before, thank goodness those days are over.

I am jokingly playing the role of the paranoid here, but I wonder if Kat remained dead due to being seen as a Hal-hater.
    Katma didn't hate Hal. Yeah, she was mad at him at times but she got over it. It's like saying John and Kyle hate Hal because he doesn't listen to them. I don't have my back issues otherwise I would put up a few scans.

http://luchins.com/what-were-they-th...story-from-30/ - This post talks about the story where Hal met Katma. Not seeing any hate there.

Now Salaak and Guy Gardner, they HATED Hal Jordan. Especially Guy. He never seemed to get over all the defeats and **** Hal put him through until around Final Night at least.
    Last edited by Crazy Diamond; 02-25-2015 at 03:04 PM.

I'm not sure its just the writers not being interested in John. Even the vaunted Van Jensen is referencing Xanshi. I agree that it should be retconned though. Let it be John but at least portray him differently. You can still have it be a tragic part of his past without him acting like that.

Extraordinary Member

Katma didn't hate Hal. Yeah, she was mad at him at times but she got over it. It's like saying John and Kyle hate Hal because he doesn't listen to them. I don't have my back issues otherwise I would put up a few scans.

http://luchins.com/what-were-they-th...story-from-30/ - This post talks about the story where Hal met Katma. Not seeing any hate there.

Now Salaak and Guy Gardner, they HATED Hal Jordan. Especially Guy. He never seemed to get over all the defeats and **** Hal put him through until around Final Night at least.
    I know, but those guys came up aces while Kat's been pushing daisies.

It was a shame they ended the Hal / Guy rivalry. Even worse, sometimes Hal acts like Guy which is really weird.

I'm not sure its just the writers not being interested in John. Even the vaunted Van Jensen is referencing Xanshi. I agree that it should be retconned though. Let it be John but at least portray him differently. You can still have it be a tragic part of his past without him acting like that.
    I believe Van Jensen's reference of Xanshi is a completely different thing than, say, Geoff Johns'. I think Van Jensen is finally putting the thing to sleep so it will be over and done with. Johns did it because-I think-he didn't know what else to do with the character, and didn't care to write him.

BANNED

Jensen said he wishes he could retcon Xanshi. I think he will with his final issue of GLC.