Page 106 of 568 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116156206 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 8518
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GrandKaiser View Post
    Wow, that's recent? Coulda fooled me.
    They brought in a classic artist. Happens all the time when stories are set in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    When his origin us expand on I want to see his father, aunt, Kat, his younger sister & brother have larger roles in it.. And Neal Adams should drawn it..
    Last edited by 4sake Baned; 03-01-2015 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I saw this online. I have yet to read the story, but if this was how the fight finished, then this was very impressive.

I found this image from a website that gives an in-depth history of John Stewart.

http://majorspoilers.com/2013/02/17/...-john-stewart/
    Yeah, that's how the fight ends. John defeated Guy Gardner fair'n'square.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandKaiser View Post

best John Stewart scene IMO in recent years. I especially loved the issues that followed it. I for one stand by John's decision to kill Kirrt. He did it to protect Oa, it showed how loyal he is to the Corps and I think this one panel describes his character better than any multi-issue storyline could do. What do you guys think?
    I'm not particularly a fan of Tomasi's time writing John Stewart. I do like the issue that follows that scene, when John had to take Kirrt's body home to his family. I thought that was a good character piece. I guess I feel like Tomasi was into giving John too much hard luck tragedy without enough pay off to really benefit the character. It seemed to me that John would suffer, and Guy would get the pay off. It's true that Jensen traumatically ended John's relationship with Fatality, but Jensen has contributed to really advancing his character.

And besides, Tomasi didn't really convincingly build up John and Fatality's romance, in my opinion, so I didn't mind Jensen breaking them up. They would only get a couple pages here and there, and then the story would shoot back to whatever Guy was doing. So, there would be like two pages of John and Fatality's budding relationship, and eighteen pages of Guy Gardner.

Yeah, I wasn't really into Tomasi's New 52 GLC run. It didn't really do all that much for John Stewart aside from give him a couple more tragic moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I think if John LEADS the book, I'm sure most of this will happen and yea I'm actually optimistic about John leading in the book. John Stewart has started to being treated as a more valuable character when he's in guest appearances. I believe Cullen Bunn will give John a prominent role.

What I would like to see in GL:Lost Army:

A Sinestro crossover as we discussed way back in the thread.

Have John and Natu's relationship strengthen.

Sora and John having an important role together.

I would want see a different relationship between John and Sinestro. Something that's entirely different in a positive way, which doesn't need to be similar to other GL's. As y'all have mentioned, John should have a special relationship with Sinestro, since after all he's knowledgeable with Korugar. So that's a start.

Of course my boy Sodam Yat returning again.

There's just so many things that we want to see happen lol. I feel like I'm writing a Christmas wishlist

Writers not being interested in him was the main problem. John Stewart has been ignored for years. I'm just glad that he's getting attention. Xanshi has been used to death already. I'm hoping for Van Jensen to make John fresh for other writers not to rely on something that's been so negative that hurt the character for years.
    I get the feeling Bunn was laying some seeds for Lost Army in Sinestro #7 with John's interaction with Sinestro, and the whole thing about John being a leader. I think the Soranik thing from Green Lantern Corps #36 will go somewhere, too.

I don't know if Lost Army will do this, but John's relationship with Carol Ferris should be touched on more, too. We need to know more about Katma's death and where things stand between John and Carol.

I'm optimistic and very curious. We should finally get some idea where some things are headed in a few days when Green Lantern #40 comes out. One thing I can say is of the observations I've made, the only Lantern who doesn't seem to be headed toward some ominous event of some kind is John Stewart. Hal Jordan apparently will be a traitor, won't have a ring, and won't be in the Corps, Kyle Rayner might die, or something (I don't think he really will, but something will likely happen to him), and Guy Gardner has a "death wish." To me, it seems like DC/WB might do something to the other Lanterns, but keeping John Stewart as a Green Lantern still in the Corps, which is good for John Stewart fans.

We'll see what happens, but I think this will actually turn out good for John.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    I meant to reply to this earlier. Hawkgirl and Green Lantern's stories are way better than Wonder Woman's. The writers just did way more interesting things with them. I'd even argue that Hawkgirl and Green Lantern have the most interesting character arcs in the show, especially in the first two seasons. I think that's because the writers basically made those two their own characters and weren't afraid to take chances with them and tell extremely daring storylines.
    I think John and Shayera (with Wally to a lesser extent) were probably the best things about the JL cartoon. They didn't have the same story telling and characterization burdens that the Trinity had and has a result, I think they ended up being the more likeable characters. They were allowed to look bad in a way that the Trinity couldn't and as a result, I think it really made their victories even greater.
    Plus, with the characters being largely neglected in the past gave the writers an opportunity to flesh out the characters in the way they wanted to. Obviously, there was some necessary groundwork with John being a marine and Shayera being from Thanagar that the writers had to keep, but the writers told some really original and cool stories with the characters. In hindsight, what was also fun for me was getting into comics and finding things in older comics that the writers might have used to highlight an aspect of the characters in the cartoon.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, that's how the fight ends. John defeated Guy Gardner fair'n'square.
    To my knowledge, this has never be revisited. Hal beat Guy in a one-on-one fist fight for the ring. Batman knocked out Guy with one punch. Here, John beat Guy with his ring, and no one ever mentioned it after it happened.

John is the focus of much haterade by DC writers & editors. I know Tomasi with his love for all things Guy would never have referenced that fight.

John has victories over Hal & Guy.

I find this both sad & funny.

Extraordinary Member

I'm not particularly a fan of Tomasi's time writing John Stewart. I do like the issue that follows that scene, when John had to take Kirrt's body home to his family. I thought that was a good character piece. I guess I feel like Tomasi was into giving John too much hard luck tragedy without enough pay off to really benefit the character. It seemed to me that John would suffer, and Guy would get the pay off. It's true that Jensen traumatically ended John's relationship with Fatality, but Jensen has contributed to really advancing his character.

And besides, Tomasi didn't really convincingly build up John and Fatality's romance, in my opinion, so I didn't mind Jensen breaking them up. They would only get a couple pages here and there, and then the story would shoot back to whatever Guy was doing. So, there would be like two pages of John and Fatality's budding relationship, and eighteen pages of Guy Gardner.

Yeah, I wasn't really into Tomasi's New 52 GLC run. It didn't really do all that much for John Stewart aside from give him a couple more tragic moments.
    I totally agree with you about Tomasi not really being all that into John. The shameless Guy-worship from Tomasi was insane. Tomasi should have called the book "Guy Gardner.....oh.......and the GL Corps....too".

Like Geoff Johns did with Hal, Tomasi went above & beyond ensuring why Guy was the best of the best.

I was happy with John being with Fatality, but looking back, it was clear why Jensen had to break them up.

I am all for in-story, character driven tragedy, not the constant deconstructive, shock drama John has been burdened with for so long.

Extraordinary Member

I get the feeling Bunn was laying some seeds for Lost Army in Sinestro #7 with John's interaction with Sinestro, and the whole thing about John being a leader. I think the Soranik thing from Green Lantern Corps #36 will go somewhere, too.

I don't know if Lost Army will do this, but John's relationship with Carol Ferris should be touched on more, too. We need to know more about Katma's death and where things stand between John and Carol.

I'm optimistic and very curious. We should finally get some idea where some things are headed in a few days when Green Lantern #40 comes out. One thing I can say is of the observations I've made, the only Lantern who doesn't seem to be headed toward some ominous event of some kind is John Stewart. Hal Jordan apparently will be a traitor, won't have a ring, and won't be in the Corps, Kyle Rayner might die, or something (I don't think he really will, but something will likely happen to him), and Guy Gardner has a "death wish." To me, it seems like DC/WB might do something to the other Lanterns, but keeping John Stewart as a Green Lantern still in the Corps, which is good for John Stewart fans.

We'll see what happens, but I think this will actually turn out good for John.
    The writers missed huge opportunities for conflict between John & Carol which would have to conflict with Hal Jordan. But hey, everyone's sins were forgiven or wiped away but John's.

I am fairly confident that John is moving on to better horizons now.

The writers missed huge opportunities for conflict between John & Carol which would have to conflict with Hal Jordan. But hey, everyone's sins were forgiven or wiped away but John's.
    Well, there was this storyline:

I guess that resolved things, and it's probably for the best that the writers don't continue to beat another tragic dead horse, but it's strange that John and Carol have barely interacted since then, considering their history. I think their relationship deserves to be touched on. It doesn't even need to be a tragic storyline, but something that explores both characters some.

Extraordinary Member

Well, there was this storyline:

I guess that resolved things, and it's probably for the best that the writers don't continue to beat another tragic dead horse, but it's strange that John and Carol have barely interacted since then, considering their history. I think their relationship deserves to be touched on. It doesn't even need to be a tragic storyline, but something that explores both characters some.
    I recall that story (I never read it), but no mention of it at all was made during the Geoff Johns era. Some tension should always be there between those two.

I recall that story (I never read it), but no mention of it at all was made during the Geoff Johns era. Some tension should always be there between those two.
    It is from Gerard Jones' run, and there are a number of things pointing to Johns not caring for that period. The complete lack of any acknowledgment of Mosaic is probably the most glaring example.

BANNED

John dated Carol in an alternate universe.

John just can't get away from the Star Sapphires :P

Maybe he should take a different approach?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    John dated Carol in an alternate universe.

John just can't get away from the Star Sapphires :P
    I thought it was great that Carol was a part of John Stewart's New 52 origin, but Hal Jordan was nowhere in sight.

I'm really happy to see the writers making John more of his own man without removing him from the mythology. If Bunn is actually writing John Stewart, then I hope he's lurking this thread to get a pulse on John Stewart's fans and what they like and what they don't. I'm not saying there's one universal thought, but we don't really quarrel on what is best for John. Jensen had a good understanding of John's fans and just listened to them, which really lent to him telling some of the best John Stewart stories ever, in my opinion.

Is John Stewart still from Detroit? I dont know if it was said in his secret origins since I've picked it up as for yet.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52