Page 11 of 568 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111511 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I actually read it. Basically in Judd's run, it was explained that John was exposed of fear, which was why he was still in a wheel chair after ION Kyle healed him. And the story that Stewart explained at first wasn't quite true, he was hiding from his guilt after being responsible of getting his sister killed in a car crash.
    God, so John is responsible for the death of his sister, too? I seriously hope that got wiped away with the New 52. I believe it did, because his mom is not nearly the same as she was before, and she's still alive, where she was dead pre-New 52. There have only been three people to write John good in comics. Steve Englehart, Gerard Jones, and Van Jensen. That's it. Well, four if you count Dwayne McDuffie's Justice League of America run. Mostly everyone else who has done anything notable with the character has only done serious injustices to him. From Jim Starlin, to Jim Owsley (Christopher Priest), all the way to Geoff Johns.

What did you think of that story?
    Last edited by Desh; 05-28-2014 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    God, so John is responsible for the death of his sister, too? I seriously hope that got wiped away with the New 52. I believe it did, because his mom is not nearly the same as she was before, and she's still alive, where she was dead pre-New 52. There have only been three people to write John good in comics. Steve Englehart, Gerard Jones, and Van Jensen. That's it. Well, four if you count Dwayne McDuffie's Justice League of America run. Mostly everyone else who has done anything notable with the character has only done serious injustices to him. From Jim Starlin, to Jim Owsley (Christopher Priest), all the way to Geoff Johns.

What did you think of that story?
    To me, the story is a bit stereotypical. When John's psychologist asked him what really happened in the car crash, John punched him, because he didn't want to remember what happened. John, at the age of 15 had stolen his aunt's car and got hit by a drunk driver, which is why his sister got killed. Also, John mentions he was a bad person being raised up, dealing with lots of racism and if he could, he would've been a gangbanger. He also expressed his guilt of Xanshi's destruction, mentions Guy and Hal are more recognizable than he is and the guardians would have chose a different lantern instead of him and finally he explained he's just the black green lantern.

The story itself about John's history is awful. Everything is just about negative with him. I wouldn't suggest you read that issue.

I understand lots of people don't like Johns' writing on John, but Judd's writing on him is not too far behind Johns to be honest.

It just shows John was getting overshadowed by Kyle.

I'm just happy Van Jensen is doing away with that crap.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 05-28-2014 at 02:33 AM.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

To me, the story is a bit stereotypical. When John's psychologist asked him what really happened in the car crash, John punched him, because he didn't want to remember what happened. John, at the age of 15 had stolen his aunt's car and got hit by a drunk driver, which is why his sister got killed. Also, John mentions he was a bad person being raised up, dealing with lots of racism and if he could, he would've been a gangbanger. He also expressed his guilt of Xanshi's destruction, mentions Guy and Hal are more recognizable than he is and the guardians would have chose a different lantern instead of him and finally he explained he's just the black green lantern.

The story itself about John's history is awful. Everything is just about negative with him. I wouldn't suggest you read that issue.

I understand lots of people don't like Johns' writing on John, but Judd's writing on him is not too far behind Johns to be honest.

One word: 'Scust.

I actually liked Winnick's run until they did that terrible gaybashing story which trivialized what happens and also turned the lone gay character (who had little personality or development up to that point) into a victim for the straight hero to beat up people over. I'm glad I didn't read the John Stewart issue; I'm surprised what I read of Batwing turned out as good as it did. I mean, I don't have a problem with relevance in my comics but I do have a problem with it being handled with stereotypes.

Desh, how did you feel about Joe Kelly's handling of John Stewart in Justice League? And have you read that one Annual where he fights Nazis?

Dear lord. That sounds like something written by the most ardent John Stewart hater. I wonder if editorial forced Winnick to use John Stewart because of the cartoon, because that doesn't sound like something written by someone who actually wanted to use the character. And yeah, I read some of Winnick's run. John was just a background dude who showed up for a page or panel to do something uneventful -usually involving that blue girl Merayne- and then left.

Yeah, I complain a lot about Johns, but honestly, the stuff going on where John Stewart is concerned before Johns arrived wasn't good, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Desh, how did you feel about Joe Kelly's handling of John Stewart in Justice League? And have you read that one Annual where he fights Nazis?
    I wouldn't call John's time in JLA a particularly notable showing for him. It's nothing I'll go back to read because of any fond John Stewart moments. He's... there. He may have had cool feats here and there, but I can't recall any character defining moments for him, and I thought the stories were only okay. To me, the comics seemed like a soulless husk compared to the cartoon that was airing new episodes at the time. Still, a younger me did greatly appreciate at least seeing him around regularly doing something in comics, because he certainly wasn't doing anything of note in Green Lantern at the time, and I can't think of anything offensive Kelly did with John, so at least there's that.

I haven't read that Annual yet, unfortunately. I'll try to hunt it down sometime. Have you read it? If so, what do you think of it? Same question with John Stewart in Kelly's JLA.
    Last edited by Desh; 05-28-2014 at 08:47 AM.

One word: 'Scust.

I actually liked Winnick's run until they did that terrible gaybashing story which trivialized what happens and also turned the lone gay character (who had little personality or development up to that point) into a victim for the straight hero to beat up people over. I'm glad I didn't read the John Stewart issue; I'm surprised what I read of Batwing turned out as good as it did. I mean, I don't have a problem with relevance in my comics but I do have a problem with it being handled with stereotypes.

I agree.

Don't get me wrong Judd is a good writer. I enjoyed lots of his stories with Green Lantern such as creating ION (before it was known as an entity by Johns), which he should also be given credit for such concept. Kyle restored the corps, interesting battle with Kyle and the JLA battling it out with Nero, John becoming a lantern again and so on.

Some of the ideas from his writing on green lantern seems to reflect from his personal life, which is why there's sudden changes after Ron Marz left. He made Kyle half Mexican, which Judd is Spanish iirc, created Terri, who's gay, which he has a personal friend who was gay and sadly died from aids, he made John Stewart's brother gay as well etc. I read most fans thoughts on Judd's writing, some agreed or disagreed with it.

I believe Terri was offered a lantern ring as well. Kyle had no hope in humanity, so he left Earth and left it to John, because Terri's been a victim of hate crime.

I like the idea of his concepts of Batwing and so do other readers at the start of the New 52. Batwing was good, because it sets itself apart from Gotham (similar to Nightwing realizing Bludhaven doesn't have a protector, which was just as bad as Gotham City), exploring a different area of having a protector dealing with a bad urban society. Ben Oliver's artwork is also one of the reasons the book became so enjoyable. Unfortunately, the series and concepts fell apart. As I said in a different thread, I didn't quite like David's parent's died, due to aids. I don't think it was needed. I also found that a bit stereotypical.

Dear lord. That sounds like something written by the most ardent John Stewart hater. I wonder if editorial forced Winnick to use John Stewart because of the cartoon, because that doesn't sound like something written by someone who actually wanted to use the character. And yeah, I read some of Winnick's run. John was just a background dude who showed up for a page or panel to do something uneventful -usually involving that blue girl Merayne- and then left.

Yeah, I complain a lot about Johns, but honestly, the stuff going on where John Stewart is concerned before Johns arrived wasn't good, either.
    At least he had a relationship with Merayne lol, but Winick wasn't the writer who begun that relationship. I heard somewhere thanks to the impact of the Justice League cartoon, Kyle was forced to be replaced by John Stewart in Grant Morrison's JLA. I need to look into Grant Morrison's Multiversity as I know little of it. I think green lantern John Stewart should be apart of that title, considering the black superman of Earth 23 in action comics, John Stewart made an appearance, so why shouldn't he be in Morrison's Multiversity? That would be awesome!

At least he had a relationship with Merayne lol, but Winick wasn't the writer who begun that relationship. I heard somewhere thanks to the impact of the Justice League cartoon, Kyle was forced to be replaced by John Stewart in Grant Morrison's JLA. I need to look into Grant Morrison's Multiversity as I know little of it. I think green lantern John Stewart should be apart of that title, considering the black superman of Earth 23 in action comics, John Stewart made an appearance, so why shouldn't he be in Morrison's Multiversity? That would be awesome!
    You mean John is in this issue?

If so, does he do anything of note in it?

You mean John is in this issue?
    Yes.
    If so, does he do anything of note in it?
    Not really. He just had a brief cameo appearance. He didn't have any dialogue or anything (of course this was before John getting better spotlight). It was a short story outside of the main story in that issue. It was a different writer responsible for that short story in the same issue.

You can try looking over this page here:
    http://glcorps.dcuwiki.net/w/Green_L...ohn_Stewart%29

It goes into John's family early on in the article.

There's also something about his sister dieing in a car crash and the guilt over it physically paralyzing John, or some such. I'm really not an expert on Judd Winnick Green Lantern, though. That's just some garbage to give John EVEN MORE pathos (as if his wife being murdered and failing to save a planet didn't offer enough). To be totally fair, I believe Winnick used John confronting the issue regarding his sister as a means of taking him out the wheelchair he occupied for much of the Kyle Rayner days of Green Lantern. I dunno' the details, I didn't read it. You can find out about his sister on this page:
    http://www.comicvine.com/john-stewart/4005-10451/
    Thanks for the links man.

My god. Desh is right. That reads like a John Stewart hate fic.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

I dunno. It's a tough question. Stewart at least still had a personality before Johns and occasionally got some focus which is really sad when you think about it. I wonder how things would have turned out differently had Stewart not become popular because of JL and JLU.

I wouldn't call John's time in JLA a particularly notable showing for him. It's nothing I'll go back to read because of any fond John Stewart moments. He's... there. He may have had cool feats here and there, but I can't recall any character defining moments for him, and I thought the stories were only okay. To me, the comics seemed like a soulless husk compared to the cartoon that was airing new episodes at the time. Still, a younger me did greatly appreciate at least seeing him around regularly doing something in comics, because he certainly wasn't doing anything of note in Green Lantern at the time, and I can't think of anything offensive Kelly did with John, so at least there's that.
    I remember a few cool moments with Wally and some nice showings when Martian Manhunter overcame his fear of fire and went nuts. At least it wasn't Byrne and Claremont... now that was unreadable.

I haven't read that Annual yet, unfortunately. I'll try to hunt it down sometime. Have you read it? If so, what do you think of it? Same question with John Stewart in Kelly's JLA.
    I liked Kelly's run on JLA when I read it in HS but I'm not sure how well it holds up. What I can say is after he left Justice League just seemed to get worse and worse and worse and unfortunately that trend has continued. I tried Mcduffie's run and it started out okay especially with characters like Stewart and Rusch, but it just got derailed over and over again so I lost interest.

The Annual has your typical 90s artwork, but the story is quite strange and yet it's pretty cool. You see how some fans react to Carol being with Kyle? I wonder what would have happened had that story come out this year instead of in the 90s. Loved seeing Stewart take on Jordan and Gardner and win; that was pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Thanks for the links man.
    No problem!

I dunno. It's a tough question. Stewart at least still had a personality before Johns and occasionally got some focus which is really sad when you think about it. I wonder how things would have turned out differently had Stewart not become popular because of JL and JLU.
    I don't know. The cartoon show did so much for the character that it's impossible to say. I think the problem we've been seeing with John in comics is due to very few writers or editors actually caring about the character, likely because their Green Lantern was some other character, even if John did have a thriving fanbase due to the cartoon. It's a perfect example of the staff being out of touch with younger and more casual fans -most of whom had/have no idea who Kyle Rayner or Hal Jordan are, and don't care- and catering to their older, smaller, more homogeneously white male fanbase, which, in the long run has been DC Comics' ultimate weakness and most off putting factor to me. To be honest, the only reason I think they're giving John spotlight now is because WB is probably forcing them to. I mean, it's kind of suspicious that they go from literally trying to kill him to showcasing him so well, you know? And it's interesting they bring in a completely unknown writer, who likely had little to no emotional attachment to the characters prior to taking on the job, to write the character.

I liked Kelly's run on JLA when I read it in HS but I'm not sure how well it holds up. What I can say is after he left Justice League just seemed to get worse and worse and worse and unfortunately that trend has continued. I tried Mcduffie's run and it started out okay especially with characters like Stewart and Rusch, but it just got derailed over and over again so I lost interest.
    Yeah, McDuffie's run starts out great. I've actually been re-reading the first arc, with the Wedding Special and "Unlimited" arc. It's really enjoyable. But yeah, things go downhill due to editorial meddling. Re-reading this, it actually makes me laugh at how much stuff is in there to put some of those old, crotchety, bigoted fans ill at ease. First of all are all the black characters that were brought in, and how Hal Jordan was quickly written out. Second is how quickly John Stewart establishes himself as having a strong presence on the team. Third are scenes like this...

And just for good measure, I got a kick out of this explosive diarrhea bit : p

And I remember being on the old DCMB at the time, and yes, they were ill at ease. There were also the blatant Hawkgirl/Green Lantern hints he dropped.

The Annual has your typical 90s artwork, but the story is quite strange and yet it's pretty cool. You see how some fans react to Carol being with Kyle? I wonder what would have happened had that story come out this year instead of in the 90s. Loved seeing Stewart take on Jordan and Gardner and win; that was pretty cool.
    Cool! I'll see about checking it out.
    Last edited by Desh; 05-29-2014 at 04:21 AM.

Ultimate Member

I don't think the WB stopped the John should die movement.

I think fan reaction shocked them and somebody warned them of the message it sends.

You have ruin the comic version of Cyborg-made him background fodder and the classic no social life team member. Then the whole Static burial that we saw.

Kill John off and you just sent the message that you were more than willing to bury your 3 most popular black males to pander to whoever doesn't like them.

I think that would have been more than enough to get folks to quit DC all together and that would be the last thing DC would want with Marvel and others coming after them.

I also think the issue with John is DC wants Hal to be the only one but are scared of what to do with John. So what do you do with him?

Take the ring away and give him a new identity?

Hand him over to IDW to headline a DC Animated Universe series with Static, Young Justice and the others who are more popular in cartoons than comics?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I don't think the WB stopped the John should die movement.

I think fan reaction shocked them and somebody warned them of the message it sends.
    Clearly fan reaction is what set the whole thing off, and WB was likely very aware of the reaction. I mean, it was so big, how could they not be? Probably the last thing WB wants to do is be perceived as racist, and they keep a very close eye on DC Comics these days.

I also think the issue with John is DC wants Hal to be the only one but are scared of what to do with John. So what do you do with him?
    Ultimately, I think you're right about what DC wants. John Stewart is likely a huge thorn in their side, because so many people see him as the Green Lantern, and efforts meant to counter that view -the 2011 Green Lantern film and the Green Lantern cartoon show- met with failure. As such, I think some of them were worried about WB choosing to use John Stewart in the next film effort, which would make perfect sense, so DC tried to beat them to the punch and kill John Stewart to discourage that. If that was their goal, the whole plan backfired, because it made them look terrible, drew attention to what they've been doing to John Stewart for years (probably both the attention of the WB overlords and the fans), and got more people behind the character.

Hand him over to IDW to headline a DC Animated Universe series with Static, Young Justice and the others who are more popular in cartoons than comics?
    I don't think that will ever happen. Maybe with Static, but John Stewart and Green Lantern are 100% the properties of DC Comics and Warner Bros. They don't have any good reason to let some other publisher publish them, and that would likely be terrible for the character.

Alternate cover for GLC #33. Wicked as hell.

That cover looks awesome.
    Pulling: Spider-Gwen, All New Captain America, Ms Marvel, Secret Six, Daredevil, Uncanny X-Men, Grayson, Batman, Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man, A-Force, Cyborg, Starfire

Incredible Member

Awesome! I love it!