Page 14 of 568 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114514 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Daredevil is Legend View Post
    Are you saying that it would be a huge statement because DC would be letting a black man hook up with their most popular and iconic female character? Diana has already been with a black guy if that's what you are saying.His name was Trevor Barnes
    The next writer surly killed him off after the fans backlash. Too bad Trevor Barnes wasn't an interesting character from the start to be honest. I always loved interracial relationships in comics. Wonder Woman dating a black guy in the comics was a good treat

I think there will be major complaints from fans for the wrong reason if John ended up dating Wonder Woman. It would be awesome to see though, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    The next writer surly killed him off after the fans backlash. Too bad Trevor Barnes wasn't an interesting character from the start to be honest. I always loved interracial relationships in comics. Wonder Woman dating a black guy in the comics was a good treat

I think there will be major complaints from fans for the wrong reason if John ended up dating Wonder Woman. It would be awesome to see though, no doubt.
    He was doomed from the beginning imo. If Stewart was in his place I think the backlash would be worse than Barnes lol. I too am a fan of interracial relationships

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mermaid View Post
    I'm not one for conflict between fanbases, but I think a pairing of John and Carol could work out well. That being said, seeing as how she's already been with 2 Earth Green Lanterns I wouldn't want to see a slew of sexist and potentially racist comments on the characters.
    Why not add Guy while you are at it ? And there you go about Carol Ferris being a total player among the Green Lantern Corps and her mission to spread love across the universe is a success. Should be a nice story.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The main issue with Hal was that you last saw him in cartoon form in 1986. Toy wise you saw him in the Dc Universe toyline and that figure was hard to find. You had Hal as a variant costume for John in Justice League Heroes (written by McDuffie).

So from 1986 to that movie anyone born during that time had no idea he existed. A 10 year old kid (1986-1996) got into comics he saw Kyle as the GL in comics and eventually as he grew he saw John on the cartoon.

All anyone saw was a black GL in toys, tv, dvds and merchandise. The execs assumed that put Hal in the film and that would be it but they did NOTHING to let mainstream know about him. If they had John in the film telling some recruits about a rookie named Hal-you could have cut off most of the reaction.

What the execs failed to realize is once you put something out there that is not straight white male-folks remember it. I know tons of folks who can hum the Static Shock theme and know who he is before they can tell you a thing about Hal.

If it was me-I would do 2 films at once. One GL film with John and the JLA film with Hal. Let GL explain how John came around and JLA piggyback off of the first GL film. Once done you can switch the two between sequels.
    I actually agree with you. Only speaking for myself, as a superhero loving kid growing up, I didn't know much about Hal Jordan and he wasn't relevant at all, from my perspective. He had no modern cartoon, no movie (until 2011, that is), and no video game appearances that I was aware of, so he was very off the radar for me. I also agree with you that Hal Jordan isn't going to stand out or be remembered nearly as much as a Black Green Lantern. To be totally frank, the concept of a Black person as Green Lantern is just more attention grabbing, and what Bruce Timm and co. did with John Stewart on JL/JLU was so great, and nothing Hal has been in has come close to topping that or doing better than it.

Hal really hasn't been in anything that is very well known and very well loved with the general audience since Super Friends, which was generations ago, and I don't believe he was on the most popular incarnation of that. If a lot of people in the general audience have a set idea of who Green Lantern is, DC/WB should be happy about that instead of trying to fight against it and force upon people who Green Lantern should be. That's just the height of wrongheadedness, in my opinion, and an example of when execs are out of touch with how the general audience sees their characters, or when some of them are just such big purist fanboys that they don't care.

Zeitgeist cannot be predicted and often not entirely controlled, which is why no matter how many Hal Jordan things DC/WB throws at people, they won't topple John Stewart, and attempting to do so is stupid and backwards. I hope they've realized that. Firstly, John Stewart was there first for a lot of people. He shaped their idea of Green Lantern and there is NO REVERSING THAT! For this modern era, he has largely been the face of Green Lantern, and he made a huge impression to millions, and no one will forget him, even if they don't constantly think of him everyday. Even today, he has considerably greater visibility on television. Maybe they can get away with swapping characters in and out with comics fans, but when millions and millions and millions of people are expecting one thing and they give them another, DC/WB should know that system doesn't work with them. Second, nothing DC has put out with Hal Jordan has been anywhere near as good as what Warner Animation did with John in JL/JLU, therefore the Hal Jordan stuff isn't as fondly remembered or thought of, and it doesn't make nearly as big of an overall impact on pop culture.
    Last edited by Desh; 06-11-2014 at 08:43 PM.

BANNED

Pretty Much JL/JLU was an iconic show that helped introduce a whole generation to DC Superheroes. Hal Jordan has been in some direct to dvd movies, a 1 season show and a movie flop. Honestly, WB would probably just role with Stewart if not for Johns having so much power.

BANNED

Preview: Smallville Season 11: Lantern #3
    Release Date- Wed, June 11th, 2014
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=22077

A rain of yellow “stars” falls on Gotham City even as Superman and the Green Lantern John Stewart face a threat from Oa’s past that has reappeared on the moon. Batman, Nightwing, Green Arrow and the Wonder Woman from the DEO are doing their best, but they need help. When Clark returns to Earth, will John’s luck run out?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bat007007 View Post
    Why not add Guy while you are at it ? And there you go about Carol Ferris being a total player among the Green Lantern Corps and her mission to spread love across the universe is a success. Should be a nice story.
    Strangely enough, I would prefer Guy with Carol. It would make people wonder if Guy really cared about Carol, or one-upping Hal for the time Jordan hooked up with Gardner's lover at the time.

I'd rather see John & Carol as platonic.

I'd put my vote in for John and Diana. That would be an interesting relationship to read about.

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    To be totally frank, the concept of a Black person as Green Lantern is just more attention grabbing,
    Why?

and what Bruce Timm and co. did with John Stewart on JL/JLU was so great, and nothing Hal has been in has come close to topping that or doing better than it.
    As much as I like John Stewart, I have to disagree. Timm's recent Green Lantern animated series with Hal as the main character was very good, and was well-received. It only lasted a season due to lack of toyline and thus was too expensive to continue producing.

My favorite John Stewart is the one from Green Lantern Mosaic. That was a very interesting series, and it was great to see John headlining it. One of my favorite episodes from Justice League when it comes to the character is the three parter set in WW2. He's got a great part in that story.

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    I'd put my vote in for John and Diana. That would be an interesting relationship to read about.

Why?

As much as I like John Stewart, I have to disagree. Timm's recent Green Lantern animated series with Hal as the main character was very good, and was well-received. It only lasted a season due to lack of toyline and thus was too expensive to continue producing.

My favorite John Stewart is the one from Green Lantern Mosaic. That was a very interesting series, and it was great to see John headlining it. One of my favorite episodes from Justice League when it comes to the character is the three parter set in WW2. He's got a great part in that story.
    What do you think would be interesting about John and Diana

What do you think would be interesting about John and Diana
    It's a pairing that isn't all that obvious, so it would be something new and different, as well as offering some new areas to develop both characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Strangely enough, I would prefer Guy with Carol. It would make people wonder if Guy really cared about Carol, or one-upping Hal for the time Jordan hooked up with Gardner's lover at the time.

I'd rather see John & Carol as platonic.
    I get the feeling that Kyle, John and Guy would all care for Carol but as a spiritual sister to them and not as a lover at the end of the day. That would be beautiful to see that kind relationship in action with Hal being paranoid. ^^
    Last edited by Bat007007; 06-12-2014 at 01:34 PM.

It's a pairing that isn't all that obvious, so it would be something new and different, as well as offering some new areas to develop both characters.
    I see!!!!!!!!!

Ultimate Member

Why?

For the Why?

At the time Justice League the cartoon came out-your black heroes on tv was the Falcon and War Machine. Both on shows that lasted one season and only Falcon had a lead story to himself. And before that you had Kwame from Captain Planet and before that Bowie from Robotech.

So here you had John (although if McDuffie had his way it would have been Hal with Black Lighting on the show according to his first draft for the show) a black hero with a background and even a few key shows fleshing him out as a character.

Remember this was before Static ever showed up.

Hal's show got screwed over by that film. Stores were not wiling to sell toys because they still had and even today still have those GL movie toys.

I would say if you took time to slowly develop Hal outside of comics maybe even do a GL show with both guys-it would have helped.

Right now we got a rumored GL/Flash film in 2017.

IF it's going to be Hal-you have 4 years to build him up OUTSIDE of comics. We got a Flash tv show establishing Barry as Flash-now if we get black Wally that will be another story.

Right now I expect to see John as that GL. Because no matter what you are going to have that same issue as before and right now folks are getting fed up with how black characters are getting treated in films. And you still don't know what Disney/Marvel will do-you think Hal/Barry can compete with Miles Morales (IF Marvel gets the rights to Spidey from Sony), Luke Cage & Iron Fist or Rocket Raccoon?

He was doomed from the beginning imo. If Stewart was in his place I think the backlash would be worse than Barnes lol. I too am a fan of interracial relationships
    The backlash may be worse, but John seems to have a strong fan base. So there would be a good amount of people behind the WW/JS relationship as well as those who oppose it.

Why?
    The sheer over saturation of White superheroes has a lot to do with it. A Black hero who is strongly featured and not demeaned in some way (even if it is just by having his name include the word "Black") is something that is fairly uncommon, and therefore notable, memorable, and attention grabbing. As such, the really successful Black heroes will stand out a lot more than unsuccessful to moderately successful White heroes in the mainstream (like Hal Jordan). If people want to indulge in superheroes, there are much better, more successful mainstream heroes for them to indulge in than Hal Jordan, such as Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, Iron Man, Captain America, and so on. If people want something a little more different and more specific, like Black superheroes –and there ARE people who would like to see that (and not all of them are even Black people), especially as White superheroes continue to oversaturate- then Green Lantern John Stewart is arguably the best, and without a doubt certainly one of the best, to be found for that specific want.

You may have liked GL: TAS more than JL/JLU, and that’s fine, but that show didn’t have near the impact of JL/JLU, and from what I’ve seen, general consensus is that JL/JLU is a considerably better show.
    Last edited by Desh; 06-12-2014 at 04:57 PM.