Page 195 of 568 FirstFirst ... 95145185191192193194195196197198199205245295 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,925 of 8518

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Hi guys, new to the forum, I've recently got back into my comics, which I was big time into when I was younger; I'm now in my early 20's so pretty much grew up with John Stewart as the green lantern. Green Lantern is a comic I never really followed when I was younger however since getting back into my comics over the past year I've pretty much become hooked on the Green Lantern universe. I've, like probably everyone else on here, followed Geoff Johns Lantern work and only recently finished Sinestro Corps War which was awesome, and I've read most of the big titles released, from rebirth to blackest night etc... Long story short, I want John Stewart donning the Green Lantern unifrom lol, can any of you guys direct me where to start and what to pick up? I have no idea or clue what to look for, and when I go onto the likes of amazon or comic book retailers I have no idea what I'm looking for in relation to John Stewart. If anyone can direct me what to look for that would be great. Many Thanks.
    Welcome. I'd be honored to help you out.

If you're looking for stories of John in his early days (when he becomes Earth's Green Lantern and meets Katma Tui and other members of the Corps for the first time) then check out the trade paperbacks Green Lantern: Sector 2814 Volume 2 and Volume 3. Then, there is the complete Green Lantern: Mosaic series, which spun out of a four part arc in the Green Lantern Vol. 3 series, issues #14-17. Unfortunately, none of these comics are collected in trade form, but if you use eBay, they can be hunted down pretty easily and for pretty cheap. Then there is the Van Jensen run of Green Lantern Corps, which finished up not that long ago. That run encompasses Green Lantern Corps Vol. 2 issues 21-40 + Green Lantern Corps: Futures End #1 + Secret Origins #9, which showcases John's revised origin for the New 52. Also, check out the current series Green Lantern: Lost Army.

Those runs are the best place to start if you're looking into getting into John Stewart in comics. I don't recommend the Geoff Johns era for John Stewart stories. There are some John moments in there, but as acclaimed as the run is, it's pretty notorious among John Stewart fans for more or less sidelining John throughout the whole thing and portraying him badly. Right when that era ended, when Van Jensen came on board, things got a lot better for John. The Johns run is more of a Hal Jordan thing.
    Last edited by Desh; 08-09-2015 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    Welcome. I'd be honored to help you out.

If you're looking for stories of John in his early days (when he becomes Earth's Green Lantern and meets Katma Tui and other members of the Corps for the first time) then check out the trade paperbacks Green Lantern: Sector 2814 Volume 2 and Volume 3. Then, there is the complete Green Lantern: Mosaic series, which spun out of a four part arc in the Green Lantern Vol. 3 series, issues #14-17. Unfortunately, none of these comics are collected in trade form, but if you use eBay, they can be hunted down pretty easily and for pretty cheap. Then there is the Van Jensen run of Green Lantern Corps, which finished up not that long ago. That run encompasses Green Lantern Corps Vol. 2 issues 21-40 + Green Lantern Corps: Futures End #1 + Secret Origins #9, which showcases John's revised origin for the New 52. Also, check out the current series Green Lantern: Lost Army.

Those runs are the best place to start if you're looking into getting into John Stewart in comics. I don't recommend the Geoff Johns era for John Stewart stories. There are some John moments in there, but as acclaimed as the run is, it's pretty notorious among John Stewart fans for more or less sidelining John throughout the whole thing and portraying him badly. Right when that era ended, when Van Jensen came on board, things got a lot better for John. The Johns run is more of a Hal Jordan thing.
    Awesome, thanks for the response dude, greatly appreciated. This is exactly what I was looking for, a bit of guidance on where to go for the John Stewart lantern series. I can see why many John Stewart fans have an issue with Geoff Johns take on him, very much a supporting cast member to Hal Jordan as you said, the only contact I've had with John in any comic book form so far has been the Sinestro Corps War, and again as you said he was playing second fiddle to Hal and Kyle, hence the query as to getting comics where he is the number 1 dude. As I said I grew up with him as my Lantern more or less due to the justice league animated series, and I'm glad you gave me advice on where to get him in the comic form, once again dude many thanks for the response.

Awesome, thanks for the response dude, greatly appreciated. This is exactly what I was looking for, a bit of guidance on where to go for the John Stewart lantern series. I can see why many John Stewart fans have an issue with Geoff Johns take on him, very much a supporting cast member to Hal Jordan as you said, the only contact I've had with John in any comic book form so far has been the Sinestro Corps War, and again as you said he was playing second fiddle to Hal and Kyle, hence the query as to getting comics where he is the number 1 dude. As I said I grew up with him as my Lantern more or less due to the justice league animated series, and I'm glad you gave me advice on where to get him in the comic form, once again dude many thanks for the response.
    Anytime! If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Yeah, a lot of us were/are like you. We got into John through the cartoon where he had such an incredible showing, and we were dismayed when we turned to comics and saw him frequently get pushed into the background and given little focus. Fortunately, as I said, things have gotten a lot better since the Geoff Johns era ended. The current Lost Army series is really good. If you haven't seen it already you can check out a free preview of it here:
    http://www.buzzcomics.net/showthread.php?p=1579581

Anytime! If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Yeah, a lot of us were/are like you. We got into John through the cartoon where he had such an incredible showing, and we were dismayed when we turned to comics and saw him frequently get pushed into the background and given little focus. Fortunately, as I said, things have gotten a lot better since the Geoff Johns era ended. The current Lost Army series is really good. If you haven't seen it already you can check out a free preview of it here:
    http://www.buzzcomics.net/showthread.php?p=1579581
    Awesome! I actually took your advice and have just ordered Green Lantern Sector 2814 vol 1-3 I got all 3 brand new in TB form for very cheap, I'm in the UK here so was several pound for all 3. The green lantern corps series looks impressive and I'll definitely check them out.

They don't typically hang around places like this, but I know there are a lot of female shippers of Green Lantern and Hawkgirl. I'd love to see Tarr take a shot at those two together as well. To me, Hawkgirl is, up to this point, the ultimate John Stewart love interest, no contest. Their relationship has a lot of depth and it was so well paced. She really brought out the best in John Stewart to me, as episodes like "Comfort and Joy" and the early part of "Starcrossed" show. And for whatever it's worth, I think Shayera is John's most attractive love interest. I guess I'm a sucker for long red hair and green eyes
    And the organic wings are different enough to be alien and exciting (which is fitting, since John doesn't seem to usually go for the ordinary) but far from being so weird that they aren't aesthetically pleasing.

Some art:

It's a shame the comics never explored a relationship between them. I think John Stewart and Shayera Hol, both together and individually, are among the biggest missed opportunities of DC Comics. Only recently John is finally getting his due, albeit slowly. But that should have happened back around 2002 or 2003. And this is after DC tried to off him :/ And I think the reason he's getting some credit (though still not enough) is because of arm twisting from WB. Shayera is still in limbo; pushed aside for a much lesser known version of Hawkgirl. Typical DC.

And it's not like DC didn't just not take the opportunities of capitalizing on these characters. It's like the people there intentionally refused them.

I love the art. I would love to see a high profile artist to draw John and Shayera cuddle, showing her beautiful wings like the picture you've posted.

They can draw in so much fans if they wanted to. Shayera is the most attractive love interest for John indeed. When I first got into comics, I picked up Dwayne Mcduffice's Justice League of America #30, because it looked the closest to the representation to the JL/JLU cartoons. I didn't know who Kendra Saunders was at the time.

Awesome! I actually took your advice and have just ordered Green Lantern Sector 2814 vol 1-3 I got all 3 brand new in TB form for very cheap, I'm in the UK here so was several pound for all 3. The green lantern corps series looks impressive and I'll definitely check them out.
    Welcome!

Green Lantern: Lost Army is really good. You'll see flashbacks of John Stewart's origins as a marine. He's acting as a leader with his team in a different universe. And best of all it's reader friendly!

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I love the art. I would love to see a high profile artist to draw John and Shayera cuddle, showing her beautiful wings like the picture you've posted.

They can draw in so much fans if they wanted to. Shayera is the most attractive love interest for John indeed. When I first got into comics, I picked up Dwayne Mcduffice's Justice League of America #30, because it looked the closest to the representation to the JL/JLU cartoons. I didn't know who Kendra Saunders was at the time.

Welcome!

Green Lantern: Lost Army is really good. You'll see flashbacks of John Stewart's origins as a marine. He's acting as a leader with his team in a different universe. And best of all it's reader friendly!
    Awesome thanks man, yeah I've done some research into it and didn't realise it was the current run of comics coming out at the moment, I'll be definitely checking them out! Can I ask you guys, it may be for another thread so apologies if this isn't the right place to ask this sorta question but for you guys what are the best Green Lantern TB you've read thus far, from anything that's out there, I've just finished the sinestro corps war and totally loved it, and I've read rebirth, blackest night rage of the red lanterns and I'm looking for some more info on what's out there that's good to read in relation to the Green Lantern?

Yeah. I'm pretty much resigned to thinking that, as great as it is, we won't see Green Lantern/Hawkgirl in DC Comics. They've had over a decade to bring that in, and they still have not done anything with it. The Shayera Hol character isn't even active right now. Maybe if a creator comes along with enough clout who is a big fan of it, then maybe we'll see it find its way into the comics, but I'm not holding my breath.

It will be interesting to see where Cullen Bunn takes John's love life, if anywhere.

Awesome thanks man, yeah I've done some research into it and didn't realise it was the current run of comics coming out at the moment, I'll be definitely checking them out! Can I ask you guys, it may be for another thread so apologies if this isn't the right place to ask this sorta question but for you guys what are the best Green Lantern TB you've read thus far, from anything that's out there, I've just finished the sinestro corps war and totally loved it, and I've read rebirth, blackest night rage of the red lanterns and I'm looking for some more info on what's out there that's good to read in relation to the Green Lantern?
    I've already recommended some of my favorites. The Van Jensen run of Green Lantern Corps, which is collected in Green Lantern Corps Volume 4: Rebuild, Green Lantern Corps Volume 5: Uprising, and Green Lantern Corps Volume 6: Reckoning. You can check out Green Lantern/New Gods: Godhead for the entire "Godhead" story, which I like except for the (in my opinion) anti-climactic ending. Tales of the Green Lantern Corps Volume 3 is pretty cool, and it picks up right from where the Sector 2814 trades end. It is a book that features some of the most beloved Green Lanterns working together, like Katma, Kilowog, Arisia, Salaak, Ch'p, and the humans Guy, John, and Hal. Tales of the Green Lantern Corps Volume 1 features a cool story that highlights the villains Krona and Nekron, as well as introduces the Green Lantern Arisia. Both Krona and Arisia are important characters in the current Lost Army series. Also, I think Green Lantern: The Road Back is a cool story. It shows what the three human Green Lanterns are up to when the Corps and Guardians are no longer around.

The Lost Army #3 preview is out. The Two-Six variant cover is excellent!

Some pages:

Looks amazing. I'm really into this series. You can see the rest of the preview here:
    http://www.newsarama.com/25544-lost-...3-preview.html

Yeah. I'm pretty much resigned to thinking that, as great as it is, we won't see Green Lantern/Hawkgirl in DC Comics. They've had over a decade to bring that in, and they still have not done anything with it. The Shayera Hol character isn't even active right now. Maybe if a creator comes along with enough clout who is a big fan of it, then maybe we'll see it find its way into the comics, but I'm not holding my breath.
    On youtube, I always see comments from fangirls on where they can find more Shayera Such a wasted opportunity from DC.

It will be interesting to see where Cullen Bunn takes John's love life, if anywhere.
    Me too! I'm hoping he makes some teases in his interview. Either way, I'll be really anxious.

Thanks for posting the preview for the Lost Army. The preview looks great. Art by Jesus Saiz is doing a good job on the art. I like the city designs on when John Stewart talks about the flashback on their encounter with Relic. The image of Two Six on the variant cover looks cool.

It's a shame that the Lost Army series dropped in sales. It's sad how the entire Green Lantern franchise is in the 30Ks. I wonder does this has anything to do with Star Wars, Secret Wars and all other All New/All Different titles?

On youtube, I always see comments from fangirls on where they can find more Shayera Such a wasted opportunity from DC.
    Yeah. I suspect that partially since Geoff Johns created Kendra, DC has been focusing on her as Hawkgirl instead of the better known version, Shayera, who continues to waste away in limbo. It really surprises me. Geoff Johns manages to get in John Stewart's way at just about every turn and in the oddest of ways. I'm not saying he always purposefully means to do that (although there are times I think he does or has) but it is something that seems to happen. If you're a John Stewart fan, it's a really good chance Geoff Johns seems to promote the exact opposite of what you will like. At least, that's been my experience

Though, to be fair, I guess Shayera had a shot, but Rob Liefeld, or whoever was writing The Savage Hawkman book at the time, botched it. So maybe she would be active if things had played out better there.

Me too! I'm hoping he makes some teases in his interview. Either way, I'll be really anxious.
    I'm personally still hoping for Arisia. She's been growing on me more and more recently, and Bunn did say that the Lanterns will see each other in different ways now that they're in this bizarre circumstance. Again, I'm primarily a Green Lantern/Hawkgirl guy, but I just don't see that happening any time soon, and I actually kind of expect the Arisia thing to happen, especially since, based on the latest solicits, she is one of the Lanterns who sticks with John. I called Sinestro/Lyssa Drak over a year ago, like when Sinestro #1 came out, and what do you know, in the latest issue of Sinestro, it happened!

Thanks for posting the preview for the Lost Army. The preview looks great. Art by Jesus Saiz is doing a good job on the art. I like the city designs on when John Stewart talks about the flashback on their encounter with Relic. The image of Two Six on the variant cover looks cool.
    I am loving Jesus Saiz's work. I think his John Stewart is the best I've seen. Same for his Arisia.

It's a shame that the Lost Army series dropped in sales. It's sad how the entire Green Lantern franchise is in the 30Ks. I wonder does this has anything to do with Star Wars, Secret Wars and all other All New/All Different titles?
    That was inevitable when the book debuted in the low 40k's. I think the best Lost Army can do right now is keep a small margin between it and the Green Lantern title, which it has been doing well at so far. However, with the lack of variant covers for issues 4 and 5, expect another drop in sales. I think we will see more variants for Lost Army in the future. I think DC is experimenting to see how much a GLC book will sell without variants and when not propped up by a star creator in the GL franchise, and when its comfortably found its readership.

As for the Green Lantern title, honestly, I'm personally not invested in it (I don't read it), so I don't really care much how well that does, either in sales or quality, but I really don't think its sales are surprising. Green Lantern just fell back to its usual place in the charts now that Geoff Johns is long gone. It's selling about relative to when Kyle Rayner was the primary character years and years back. Don't get me wrong, though, that's not a bad place, but the real difference maker was clearly Geoff Johns.

Anyway, I think most of the DC line didn't perform that great in July, so I don't think it's something exclusive to the Lantern titles.
    Last edited by Desh; 08-14-2015 at 12:29 PM.

Ultimate Member

That was inevitable when the book debuted in the low 40k's. I think the best Lost Army can do right now is keep a small margin between it and the Green Lantern title, which it has been doing well at so far. However, with the lack of variant covers for issues 4 and 5, expect another drop in sales. I think we will see more variants for Lost Army in the future. I think DC is experimenting to see how much a GLC book will sell without variants and when not propped up by a star creator in the GL franchise, and when its comfortably found its readership.

Anyway, I think most of the DC line didn't perform that great in July, so I don't think it's something exclusive to the Lantern titles.
    DC must feel the same way as GL Lost Army is MIA from the Loony Toon covers (along with all the other POC books)

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    DC must feel the same way as GL Lost Army is MIA from the Loony Toon covers (along with all the other POC books)
    Lost Army doesn't get the themed variant cover for November, but it still may get a variant cover. Like the variant in the preview link above isn't going along with the variant theme for DC's other books, but it's still a cool variant, which will help boost sales. As for the other POC books, Cyborg has a Loony Toons cover, but you know how much DC wants that book to succeed. Lost Army doesn't get near the push that Cyborg does. Does DC have any other POC books aside from Lost Army and Cyborg (not counting Vertigo)? I can't think of any off the top of my head, at least none that I would consider POC books (like team books that mostly feature White characters).

Ultimate Member

Lost Army doesn't get the themed variant cover for November, but it still may get a variant cover. Like the variant in the preview link above isn't going along with the variant theme for DC's other books, but it's still a cool variant, which will help boost sales. As for the other POC books, Cyborg has a Loony Toons cover, but you know how much DC wants that book to succeed. Lost Army doesn't get near the push that Cyborg does. Does DC have any other POC books aside from Lost Army and Cyborg (not counting Vertigo)? I can't think of any off the top of my head, at least none that I would consider POC books (like team books that mostly feature White characters).
    Gotham Academy, Dr Fate, We Are Robin and Doom (I can't tell you what race he is). You could make a case for Damian's book.

I wonder if Relic is actually human sized or the Lanterns are huge (being in his universe) and just don't know it yet?
    When you crush an ant beneath your foot, do feel remorse? No. Is this because you are evil or because you recognize yourself as a higher form of life? This is what the Wizard could not understand. If I have the powers of the gods, then am I not a god myself? Should I not be treated as such?