Page 246 of 568 FirstFirst ... 146196236242243244245246247248249250256296346 ... LastLast
Results 3,676 to 3,690 of 8518

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    You see I feel better about John the longer it takes because we know Geoff and Didio want their boy Hal Jordan in Front so any resistance isnt coming from DC Comics or DC Entertainment. But yeah i still expect Hal overall even though he flopped so hard on the big screen he took down his unrelated cartoon as collateral.
    Good to see the sour grapes is as strong as ever here. On a side note, anyone thinks we'll get something GL related on the Dawn of Justice League special today?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Stuff to consider, for sure. However, WB may hurt the GLC film by not having a GL show up in JL first.

A bad script would have one GL being sidekick to the other.

They may well do it Men in Black style where rookie GL John Stewart (the POV character) learns the ropes from the veteran Hal.
    Yeah, it definitely will hurt the character(s) if noone shows up in JL, but it's still kind of bothersome to think about how they might handle them. They couldn't handle a movie with one GL and one of the better origin stories in comics, what makes us think they can handle better a movie with more than one dude. Whatever the case I doubt we'd get a mentor/student dynamic. I'm skeptical that they would pull an early Sinestro/Hal with Hal and John. Besides some food for thought, in this version Barry Allen will be a young guy, so I doubt they would make his buddy a 45 year old grizzled veteran, but given how Batman is portrayed here, who knows. Another thing I've been worried about is if they do have one GL show up in the Justuce League movie, how are they going to explain the other one's absence. They can't pull something like "Where were you when I had to team up with those weirdos to save the planet?"; "-Well, the blue dwarfs sent me to handle the peacekeeping talks with the Zamarons, cause they don't know how to ask them out on a date". Or the other guy was in a pocket dimension somewhere, etc. This isn't the comics and I wouldn't want some hoaky explanation. Either way, it's good to speculate, cause the property will get another chance. I'm sure we'll get a new GL animated series as the release date gets closer, too.

BANNED

They could be original, stay true to John's origin, and show him as a raw, but incredibly competent GL who utilizes unconventional methods to resolve disputes (due to his unique life experiences).
    And I think, to a degree, John has been portrayed that way. Not necessarily raw (I usually get that interesting Marines vibe from John, and it ain't just the haircut). John's backround really made whenever he led the Corps an interesting, depthful experience (a fact that was gone into very well in Lost Army, then apparently dropped with EoO. Argh.). Not to mention making decisions for the greater good that by themselves might not seem completely above criticism. The Tomasi Corps also did well in outlining those aspects of John's character. Come back Tomasi!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Yeah, it definitely will hurt the character(s) if noone shows up in JL, but it's still kind of bothersome to think about how they might handle them. They couldn't handle a movie with one GL and one of the better origin stories in comics, what makes us think they can handle better a movie with more than one dude. Whatever the case I doubt we'd get a mentor/student dynamic. I'm skeptical that they would pull an early Sinestro/Hal with Hal and John. Besides some food for thought, in this version Barry Allen will be a young guy, so I doubt they would make his buddy a 45 year old grizzled veteran, but given how Batman is portrayed here, who knows. Another thing I've been worried about is if they do have one GL show up in the Justuce League movie, how are they going to explain the other one's absence. They can't pull something like "Where were you when I had to team up with those weirdos to save the planet?"; "-Well, the blue dwarfs sent me to handle the peacekeeping talks with the Zamarons, cause they don't know how to ask them out on a date". Or the other guy was in a pocket dimension somewhere, etc. This isn't the comics and I wouldn't want some hoaky explanation. Either way, it's good to speculate, cause the property will get another chance. I'm sure we'll get a new GL animated series as the release date gets closer, too.
    Actually, I can live with those examples you provided as to why only one GL showed up in JL. It is important to get across that the GLC is a star-spanning organization. Perhaps one of the Earth GL's was assigned to another sector which explains one GL being present for JL. That explanation was used for the DCAU (and it worked for me). John was in another sector when Abin died, and Kyle got his ring. When Kyle left Earth for training, John was assigned to 2814. With Earth being a hot-spot for alien activity, the Guardians decided two GL's should patrol 2814. I would totally buy John being used elsewhere because the Guardians did not trust Hal being diplomatic enough. It would also be a nice calling back to the Mosaic era in the comics.

I think that set-up would create the impression that John & Hal are different, but equal. Both are great heroes, but have decidedly different ways to go about their duties. If writers are competent enough to writer the JL members as equals, then they should be able to do the same for GLC.

BANNED

Actually, I can live with those examples you provided as to why only one GL showed up in JL. It is important to get across that the GLC is a star-spanning organization. Perhaps one of the Earth GL's was assigned to another sector which explains one GL being present for JL. That explanation was used for the DCAU (and it worked for me). John was in another sector when Abin died, and Kyle got his ring. When Kyle left Earth for training, John was assigned to 2814. With Earth being a hot-spot for alien activity, the Guardians decided two GL's should patrol 2814. I would totally buy John being used elsewhere because the Guardians did not trust Hal being diplomatic enough. It would also be a nice calling back to the Mosaic era in the comics.

I think that set-up would create the impression that John & Hal are different, but equal. Both are great heroes, but have decidedly different ways to go about their duties. If writers are competent enough to writer the JL members as equals, then they should be able to do the same for GLC.
    I like this.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Götterdämmerung View Post
    And I think, to a degree, John has been portrayed that way. Not necessarily raw (I usually get that interesting Marines vibe from John, and it ain't just the haircut). John's backround really made whenever he led the Corps an interesting, depthful experience (a fact that was gone into very well in Lost Army, then apparently dropped with EoO. Argh.). Not to mention making decisions for the greater good that by themselves might not seem completely above criticism. The Tomasi Corps also did well in outlining those aspects of John's character. Come back Tomasi!
    With "raw", I was referring to John's very first story back in the day (pre-marines). John was very unconventional, but effective. Hal was totally "WTF?!" with John's demeanor, and methods.

I don't have the scan, but during the Geoff era, Hal did an inner monologue about wanting to punch John when they first met.

That sort of tension could work very well in the GLC film.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Götterdämmerung View Post
    I like this.
    I am of the belief that we all can have our cake & eat it, too.

I really hope WB does a better job of depicting the GLC than DC.

Love how that sounds.

Well, DC released art of the Justice League, and it seems Hal Jordan's movie bombed so bad, he knocked Green Lantern's place out of the League altogether. I guess to certain people, no Green Lantern at all is better than doing the logical thing and simply using John Stewart instead.

I'll sum everything about these "sour grapes" up real fast. You know why many John Stewart fans dislike Hal Jordan? The answer is simple. John Stewart frequently suffers because of Hal Jordan, one way or another. As such, why would John's fans like that character?

BANNED

A movie can't have two main characters. And two different characters cannot be equally popular in the public consciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    A movie can't have two main characters. And two different characters cannot be equally popular in the public consciousness.
    If Hal Jordan appears again, it's only because he gets special allowances that would NEVER be granted to John Stewart, and which would also take away from the focus of John Stewart. I didn't see John up in Hal Jordan's movie robbing Jordan's spotlight.

As such, I don't support John sharing a movie with Hal Jordan, either. If things were truly, equally fare, that wouldn't happen. Of course, we all know they aren't, though. Hal Jordan is not even a box office draw, so it's not like he even brings anything to the film.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    Well, DC released art of the Justice League, and it seems Hal Jordan's movie bombed so bad, he knocked Green Lantern's place out of the League altogether. I guess to certain people, no Green Lantern at all is better than doing the logical thing and simply using John Stewart instead.

I'll sum everything about these "sour grapes" up real fast. You know why many John Stewart fans dislike Hal Jordan? The answer is simple. John Stewart frequently suffers because of Hal Jordan, one way or another. As such, why would John's fans like that character?
    We are getting John Stewart, just not as a member of the Justice League (from the looks of it).

Writers need to stop putting the other GL's over John, especially Hal. The editor should have made King re-write the Darkseid War GL one shot. If John was gonna down, he would go down swinging like a true warrior, and his last thoughts should have been the possibility of seeing his Kat again in the next life. If Hal swoops down to back John up, fine. Instead, King intentionally or not, fueled the fan base division.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    They may have to do it Tango & Cash style. WB may catch some heat (no pun intended) if they depict John as being significantly less than Hal.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    If Hal Jordan appears again, it's only because he gets special allowances that would NEVER be granted to John Stewart, and which would also take away from the focus of John Stewart. I didn't see John up in Hal Jordan's movie robbing Jordan's spotlight.

As such, I don't support John sharing a movie with Hal Jordan, either. If things were truly, equally fare, that wouldn't happen. Of course, we all know they aren't, though. Hal Jordan is not even a box office draw, so it's not like he even brings anything to the film.
    For better or for worse, folks will keep trying with Hal.

I still believe that the right actor will bring John to life, and hopefully the script is at least decent.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Guys, stick to appreciating John instead of knocking other characters. Besides being against the rules of this thread, certain posts are being reported to us by others. I hate deleting posts, but I will if I have to if needed. Thank you.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?