Page 286 of 568 FirstFirst ... 186236276282283284285286287288289290296336386 ... LastLast
Results 4,276 to 4,290 of 8518

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Fair enough, but to be fair John Stewart called Hal Jordan as his backup twice in Final Crisis. On the first pages of Final Crisis, John said something like "is my backup here, yet?" then Hal Jordan appeared. Towards the end of Final Crisis John called for backup when he was getting jumped on and asked for backup and the entire corps was coming to his rescue. That Final Crisis scene is actually similar to what happened in this particular JL issue, but from John to Hal as the difference.
    Yeah. That was written by Grant Morrison, who's a far cry from Geoff Johns. I wouldn't even mention the backup thing if Johns didn't have a habit of referring to John Stewart as "backup" in stories. But yeah, I didn't see any reason to be particularly excited about John Stewart's role in the issue, unless one is only considering the art, which was really good, because story-wise, I think he had only one line. Maybe John will have a better part as the story progresses, but I wouldn't count on it. But again, this isn't me really being upset, because there wasn't much to be upset or happy about. Though, I am glad that John didn't have any facial hair, and Fabok does great art on Arisia and Kilowog.

BANNED

I just received this DC Collectibles John Stewart figure as a gift, I love how it emulates the JL tv series John. Looks great with my Kotobukiya Hal Jordan. I bought the 8" Kilowog as well, and I'll set him behind John and Hal. Happy like a little kid

John4.jpg hal2.jpg

So would anyone like to see the glowing, green eye effect from the Justice League cartoon in the comics? I always thought it looked like a cool visual for John.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Götterdämmerung View Post
    I just received this DC Collectibles John Stewart figure as a gift, I love how it emulates the JL tv series John. Looks great with my Kotobukiya Hal Jordan. I bought the 8" Kilowog as well, and I'll set him behind John and Hal. Happy like a little kid

John4.jpg hal2.jpg
    The overall GL costume is pretty eye-catching with the bright green/black (with optional white) combo.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    So would anyone like to see the glowing, green eye effect from the Justice League cartoon in the comics? I always thought it looked like a cool visual for John.
    I think it is a great visual, as well. IIRC, the reason for it in the DCAU was because John was a GL for a long time (about 15 years).

The reason to use in the comics could be that his will is so strong, the energy surges throughout his body, and bleeds through his eyes.

I think one scene from the books noted that his will was too powerful for his ring.

Does anyone have the scan for that?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I think it is a great visual, as well. IIRC, the reason for it in the DCAU was because John was a GL for a long time (about 15 years).

The reason to use in the comics could be that his will is so strong, the energy surges throughout his body, and bleeds through his eyes.

I think one scene from the books noted that his will was too powerful for his ring.
    I wanted a John Stewart GL because I felt a little weird having the Hal Jordan first; my favorite comics of the new 52 are the Tomasi Green Lantern Corps, and those comics are mostly John and Guy. I just really liked the Kotobukiya Hal because it was strikingly painted, shining. But I must admit, a good part of why I bought the DC Collectibles John is because of the green glowing eyes. I love John in the Justice League and Unlimited JL animated series, that show and the GL Animated Series are my favorite animated programs ever. So this particular John was a no-brainer, and he looks amazing next to my DCC Superman and Flash!!!!

Extraordinary Member

I wanted a John Stewart GL because I felt a little weird having the Hal Jordan first; my favorite comics of the new 52 are the Tomasi Green Lantern Corps, and those comics are mostly John and Guy. I just really liked the Kotobukiya Hal because it was strikingly painted, shining. But I must admit, a good part of why I bought the DC Collectibles John is because of the green glowing eyes. I love John in the Justice League and Unlimited JL animated series, that show and the GL Animated Series are my favorite animated programs ever. So this particular John was a no-brainer, and he looks amazing next to my DCC Superman and Flash!!!!
    Don't worry about buying Hal first. As a kid, I thought Hal was the only GL after Abin gave him the ring, via his origin on Super Friends. When I started actually reading comics, I only found out about John when I was reading a Teen Titans comic which featured Batman, Booster Gold, John & Kat. The Titans were defeated by Brotehr Blood (I think), and extra heroes were needed.

I was like......who is the black guy with the alien chick in GL costumes?

Where was Hal?

DC has more than one GL?

Whoa!

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    Yeah. That was written by Grant Morrison, who's a far cry from Geoff Johns. I wouldn't even mention the backup thing if Johns didn't have a habit of referring to John Stewart as "backup" in stories. But yeah, I didn't see any reason to be particularly excited about John Stewart's role in the issue, unless one is only considering the art, which was really good, because story-wise, I think he had only one line. Maybe John will have a better part as the story progresses, but I wouldn't count on it. But again, this isn't me really being upset, because there wasn't much to be upset or happy about. Though, I am glad that John didn't have any facial hair, and Fabok does great art on Arisia and Kilowog.
    I guess I was more relieved that John didn't act like a black best friend. I was actually expecting this cameo to be just as bad as the other GL Darkseid War one-shot if not worse than that. Other than the whole "backup" thing, he didn't act like some sidekick or a lesser character, who can't think for himself, imo. If I was new to comics and read this issue with John's short guest appearance showing his presence along with his leadership expression, I would actually think he had his own starring role in the GLC series. As I said, John's appearance in this issue isn't a big deal or to get excited for. But I was just more relieved that he didn't act so out of character like what Tom King did to him.

Jason Fabok's art on John looks totally awesome. It would be cool for him to do art for GL.

Do you think John and the corps is going to make further appearances in the Darkseid War?

Oh, and since Jason Fabok gave confirmation about the timeline for the Darkseid War, then it means that Hal Jordan isn't going to be a renegade, hence the name change in "Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps". But I suspect that the title been renamed so that could be the premier book with a superior creative team it seems. Because otherwise, I don't think they would change the title.

John4.jpg hal2.jpg
    Congrats! Nice to see fans here sharing on how they got John Stewart action figures

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I guess I was more relieved that John didn't act like a black best friend. I was actually expecting this cameo to be just as bad as the other GL Darkseid War one-shot if not worse than that. Other than the whole "backup" thing, he didn't act like some sidekick or a lesser character, who can't think for himself, imo. If I was new to comics and read this issue with John's short guest appearance showing his presence along with his leadership expression, I would actually think he had his own starring role in the GLC series. As I said, John's appearance in this issue isn't a big deal or to get excited for. But I was just more relieved that he didn't act so out of character like what Tom King did to him.

Jason Fabok's art on John looks totally awesome. It would be cool for him to do art for GL.

Do you think John and the corps is going to make further appearances in the Darkseid War?
    I think so, yeah. And after looking at the scene again, John does give a command to the Corps, so it does look like he is the leader. Given that, it's kind of weird that DC is getting ready to release a book called Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps. Even given the most ideal scenario for John coming out of "Rebirth," which I think is starring in the Green Lanterns book, I would rather see him with the Corps than Jessica Cruz... that is, if Green Lanterns actually will have Jessica Cruz. But I'd rather see him with Jessica Cruz than buried in a book that bears Hal Jordan's name in the title.

Concerning John Stewart figures and stuff, I like some of the things Eaglemoss does because they package neat magazine type things about the characters along with the figures you buy.

And here's another Eaglemoss item I have with another cool magazine thing it came with.

BANNED

Eaglemoss NIIICCCE! Have to check more into this, thank you!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    That is a great scan.

John is more of a lover than a stoic, grim hero.

BANNED

He's a very welcome change from the relentlessly (tiresomely) grim "Dark Knight" types (yawwwwn).
    Last edited by Götterdämmerung; 02-26-2016 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I meant the design of the GLs mostly. When I saw Fabok's Hal I immediately thought of Reis' Hal. He always drew the GL uniforms looking very detailed and sleek.
    When I first seen Fabok's art in Detective Comics, I believe to this day that his art inspiration in general comes from Ivan Reis. But of course, Fabok has his own style of drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    I think so, yeah. And after looking at the scene again, John does give a command to the Corps, so it does look like he is the leader. Given that, it's kind of weird that DC is getting ready to release a book called Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps. Even given the most ideal scenario for John coming out of "Rebirth," which I think is starring in the Green Lanterns book, I would rather see him with the Corps than Jessica Cruz... that is, if Green Lanterns actually will have Jessica Cruz. But I'd rather see him with Jessica Cruz than buried in a book that bears Hal Jordan's name in the title.
    I would rather for John to stick in the GLC book than Green Lantern. But the disadvantage of John being in GLC is writers would rather prefer to write other characters than John. Now as far as this whole Rebirth thing goes, I think it's a mistake to just go in a complete different direction in the GL franchise. Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps should've remain unchanged. If John be in the Green Lanterns book, I surely hope there'll be a real good creative team and a writer who's willing to invest in John Stewart. I would like to see more character-driven stories surrounding John and Jessica. But Jessica might end up in Hal and the Green Lantern Corps title, because she needs corps training. We should hear more details with the titles in about 3 weeks.

Let's just hope and pray that it's a writer out there that's willing to dig deep into investing in John's character.

Concerning John Stewart figures and stuff, I like some of the things Eaglemoss does because they package neat magazine type things about the characters along with the figures you buy.
    The Eaglemoss figure looks really good! I like John's pose.

He's a very welcome change from the relentlessly (tiresomely) grim "Dark Knight" types (yawwwwn).
    I wouldn't mind seeing a darker Green Lantern limited storyline that centers John Stewart and have the story be more character-driven under a high profile writer, imo.