Page 346 of 568 FirstFirst ... 246296336342343344345346347348349350356396446 ... LastLast
Results 5,176 to 5,190 of 8518
    BANNED

Cause there is rarely anything to talk about

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Because the "logic: is it's your job as a John fans to buy whatever he is in even if he's in the background or being used as a plot device to make others better. It says to DC that you are a "real" fan.

The reality is you have other lantern fans trying to get John fans to support those books so sales will look good. If the books mainly the GL lead book bombs-guess who gets blamed?

JOHN STEWART FANS.
    Sorry, no. We bought his book for 8 years during the Johns run when he was in the background doing nothing while everyone else got focus. Sales = Rewards. It wasn't until new creative teams and fan complaints happened that John got a focus. I'm not falling into the trap of wasting money again. Either the interests of editorial are aligned with us or they aren't. Hal has had tons of failed series and DC hasn't given up on him. John has had no failed series and he gets close to jack ****.

BANNED

My favorite artists for John include:

Doug Manke:

Jesus Saiz:

Ivan Reis:

BANNED

Bernard Chang:

Jim Lee:

Dave Gibbons:

God, I love Jim Lee, but he managed to make even John look Asian.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Great art...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I thought John looked awesome with a beard. I know people would flip out if they gave him one in the regular continuity but I would t mind it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    Sorry, no. We bought his book for 8 years during the Johns run when he was in the background doing nothing while everyone else got focus. Sales = Rewards. It wasn't until new creative teams and fan complaints happened that John got a focus. I'm not falling into the trap of wasting money again. Either the interests of editorial are aligned with us or they aren't. Hal has had tons of failed series and DC hasn't given up on him. John has had no failed series and he gets close to jack ****.
    Edit - From GreenLantern.co

"Stop Telling Me to Buy Things I’m Not Interested In"

"Certain things have really been rubbing me the wrong way lately. One is false advertising from DC Comics that relates to John Stewart, which I have written about in this article, and another is certain fans trying to convince John Stewart fans that we should settle for less, and ultimately buy crap we’re not interested in. This is usually suggested to us under the belief that it is all for the betterment of the Green Lantern franchise, or, weirdly, diversity in comics.

See, the idea works like this: if you buy a bunch of Hal Jordan or whoever comics, maybe… maybe… there is a chance you may eventually see a John Stewart spin off. And if you buy enough comics that feature black characters like John Stewart as worthless token wallpaper, then maybe… maybe… there is the chance that DC might actually do something worthwhile with the characters.

First, I’m going to admit an unfortunate truth. Many of us have already played those games with DC before. We never should have in the first place, because they are based on incredibly flawed, warped, backwards principles. But we did. And guess what we discovered? None of it leads anywhere, except for the thinning of our wallets and the fattening of DC’s coffers, all toward products we don’t really support. DC winds up doing the exact same things they have always been doing; sucking at black characters in general and pushing John as far in the background as they reasonably can.

When you ask me to support that, or suggest that I should, what I have to say to you is “kiss my butt.” I will buy products that I am interested in. Those are the only products I will buy. At this stage, I am not interested in Green Lantern products that feature Green Lanterns other than John Stewart, because I ultimately don’t care about those characters enough. There is nothing wrong with that and I have no shame about it, nor should I. I never signed a contract saying that just because I am a fan of John Stewart, I must also support all these other completely different characters that are not John Stewart.

A counter argument seems to be “if you think John Stewart was ever meant to be a big deal, you’re delusional. He was never set up to be that.” If that’s the case, then I’m definitely not going to spend my money on those products.

Many fans of John Stewart are interested in him because he was a big deal on a television program that went out to way more people than any of those comic books. On Justice League and Justice League Unlimited, John was treated as an important, complex hero of high standing, who was integral to the show, and who didn’t really take a backseat to anyone, least of all a bunch of characters that aren’t recognized as much as he is.

If DC wants to ignore all the people who grew up watching John Stewart presented that way, and who still watch him, well, that’s their decision. They tried that before when the 2011 Green Lantern film arrived, and we saw the response it got. Some of these fans who make these suggestions don’t seem to fully realize that DC isn’t who has the power here. I don’t even think DC fully realizes that. We are the ones with the power. We have what DC wants, which is money.

Either DC offers what we want, or we won’t give them our money. That only makes sense. That’s how I operate with everything else, so I’m not sure why John Stewart should be any different. When I go to the deli, I buy pepper turkey instead of roast beef, because I like pepper turkey. I don’t ever buy roast beef on the fragile hope of some weird round about benefit that likely won’t even happen.

If the whole thing somehow doesn’t work out, and the Green Lantern franchise gets shot to hell, what do I care? It wasn’t giving me what I wanted to see anyway, and DC seems determined to keep things that way, so it’s not like I’ll have any sad feelings about that. There are innumerable other things I can spend my money and time on that I actually like and that don’t frustrate me.

Therefore, no one should think for a second that John Stewart fans in general are somehow at the mercy of DC Comics and need to capitulate to them. If push comes to shove, we’ll be perfectly fine packing our bags, going where the weather is nicer, and enjoying ourselves with products that give us what we want. Indeed, many of us have already done just that.

In the end, the divided state of the Green Lantern fanbase is a situation DC has put themselves in that either they will work out or they won’t. The fans are not at all accountable for the sorry state of the Green Lantern franchise, nor are they the ones responsible for fixing DC’s problems."
    http://greenlantern.co/stop-telling-...d-in/#comments

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I thought John looked awesome with a beard. I know people would flip out if they gave him one in the regular continuity but I would t mind it.
    Yeah it's no big deal. I don't get why people don't like him with facial hair or bald head. Looks much better than Hal's freaking white streaks.

Incredible Member

Hal's white steaks at least made him stand out.

The bald and bearded superhero look only works on Luke Cage.

Hal doesn't need white streaks to stand out, if anything it made him look like freaking Reed Richards. It was almost as dumb as Guy's bowl cut look. I like the goatee/bald head look for John. In fact, his was the only design that was changed from JL to JLU.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-31-2016 at 03:09 AM.

Incredible Member

Gardner's bowl cut was awesome, it was quite reflective of personality. Don't know why they decided to flatten it.

Cause it looked stupid. lol Let's agree to disagree I guess.

Incredible Member

How was John Stewart in the Smallville minis? It was pretty bold of the writer to make him the primary Green Lantern in that universe.