Page 394 of 568 FirstFirst ... 294344384390391392393394395396397398404444494 ... LastLast
Results 5,896 to 5,910 of 8518

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Just though of something: Could a movie where John + Katma work together work?
    I'd like it. Speaking of Katma, I can't believe she hasn't been revived yet.

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    OR they could take this seriously and realize that they have the superhero version of Star Wars on their hands, that and New Gods.
    They should've known that 6 years ago. Hopefully they do now.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    Careful lol. I look at her track record with black boyfriends and it's as if their entire career trajectory just plummets shortly after they link up with her: Mr. Terrific in creative and literal obscurity, and the shell of what Val Zod now is (all excitement and interest expired) may be facing that same limbo shortly.

Kara would make a fine Kardashian

spoilers:
    i kid i kid! lol
    end of spoilers
    Oh....snap!!!

You know...when you break it down like that...

Nothing wrong with men & women being strictly friends.

It's funny that Karen, and even Kara, got a thing for black men, but the handling of those relationships is no bueno.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'd like it. Speaking of Katma, I can't believe she hasn't been revived yet.
    If John was taken more serious, she would have. Kat & Arisia should have been the most prominent lady lanterns.

Ultimate Member

Optimistically, I think WB must be fully aware of the impact of the Black Panther film and they would do anything to portray Stewart in a respectful fashion to be just as equal as Hal, or put more of the attention on him while giving Hal more of a supporting role. We have to remember this would be the first time a white and a black superhero share the leading roles together(Rhodey or Falcon are certainly not portrayed as equals to Stark and Cap), so it would be just as "groundbreaking" as BP is for being the first cbm with a black lead.
    Black Panther has 7 solo series, various minis, costarred in Avengers & Ultimates and now has 2 spinoff books-WOW & The Crew. Not to mention a DVD of his own cartoon series.

Now lets date all this at 1998 with Priest's run to now. 19 years.

What has John Stewart done in that time frame?

There is NOTHING groundbreaking about this. Ground breaking is JOHN by HIMSELF like so many others who go tossed into the fire.

If the WB was aware of Black Panther-John would be doing WAY more than he is now.

When does John go BEYOND the planet killer and generic black troop leader? When does that growth happen? Because this is not working.

I don't think Venditti has mentioned Xanshi once, now that I think about it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think Venditti has mentioned Xanshi once, now that I think about it.
    John's Xanshi issues were resolved at the end of Van Jensen's run of Green Lantern Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    John's Xanshi issues were resolved at the end of Van Jensen's run of Green Lantern Corps.
    Well, there you go .

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Black Panther has 7 solo series, various minis, costarred in Avengers & Ultimates and now has 2 spinoff books-WOW & The Crew. Not to mention a DVD of his own cartoon series.

Now lets date all this at 1998 with Priest's run to now. 19 years.
    We're talking specifically about live-action and as far as the MCU goes(since there was Spawn, Blade, Steel films in the past), Black Panther is the first black character who gets his own feature film in a shared universe.

There is NOTHING groundbreaking about this. Ground breaking is JOHN by HIMSELF like so many others who go tossed into the fire.
    No, you simply WANT John by himself because you think Geoff would give Hal more of the emphasis. It's "groundbreaking" because we've never had a comic book movie with a white and a black lead character both carrying the same mantle. Look at this just from a live-action perspective not the comics or the cartoons.

When does John go BEYOND the planet killer and generic black troop leader? When does that growth happen? Because this is not working.
    He doesn't seem to mope about Xanshi anymore, especially not in the current book. He is a capable smart Corps leader that the other Lanterns look up to. What's "generic" about it? Hal must be the "generic" cocky rebellious guy then. Guy must the generic douche with heart of gold. Kyle must the generic guy with wild imagination. By your logic all of them are generic.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-22-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Extraordinary Member

If Johns & Goyer were not part of the creative process for the film, I think folks would be a bit more optimistic about how John Stewart is presented.

I will be more than annoyed if we get a boring & stoic John Stewart on film.

With Johns in the mix, I'm still worried about how Hal is presented.

This is all one big bag of uncertainty seeing how polarizing the DC films are.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    This is all one big bag of uncertainty seeing how polarizing the DC films are.
    Especially with those Razzie nominations. Man, I wasn't a fan of BvS, but the very first movie with these two icons together leads the Razzie noms? My geek heart can only take so much. lol

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Especially with those Razzie nominations. Man, I wasn't a fan of BvS, but the very first movie with these two icons together leads the Razzie noms? My geek heart can only take so much. lol
    Batman vs Superman wasn't the best movie, but it didn't deserve the Razzie nominations. Ben Alfeck was said to be one of the best things about the movie, his performance totally turning many around after the pre-release skepticism. Yet he was nominated anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    No, you simply WANT John by himself because you think Geoff would give Hal more of the emphasis. It's "groundbreaking" because we've never had a comic book movie with a white and a black lead character both carrying the same mantle. Look at this just from a live-action perspective not the comics or the cartoons.
    Yea, it's quite different having two superheroes with the same powerset in a movie, so it can be an advantage if done right.

Since it's officially confirmed that both John and Hal are going to be the leads in the movie, John Stewart needs to be pushed across all mediums and not just a particular entertainment medium. And the same can be said for Hal Jordan as well. Both characters don't need to be in secondary books, imo. Since Geoff Johns knew this from the start, regarding both characters being the lead in the GL movie, it's really beyond me that him and DC Comics aren't putting both characters at the forefront when Rebirth had begun. The movie is about 3 years away, but it's not too early to push them.

He doesn't seem to mope about Xanshi anymore, especially not in the current book. He is a capable smart Corps leader that the other Lanterns look up to. What's "generic" about it? Hal must be the "generic" cocky rebellious guy then. Guy must the generic douche with heart of gold. Kyle must the generic guy with wild imagination. By your logic all of them are generic.
    That's a really good thing. I never really had a problem out of Robert Venditti on John Stewart (although his writing on John certainly isn't the best compared to other writers like Van Jensen), my personal disappointment is aimed more towards his superiors at DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Yea, it's quite different having two superheroes with the same powerset in a movie, so it can be an advantage if done right.

Since it's officially confirmed that both John and Hal are going to be the leads in the movie, John Stewart needs to be pushed across all mediums and not just a particular entertainment medium. And the same can be said for Hal Jordan as well. Both characters don't need to be in secondary books, imo. Since Geoff Johns knew this from the start, regarding both characters being the lead in the GL movie, it's really beyond me that him and DC Comics aren't putting both characters at the forefront when Rebirth had begun. The movie is about 3 years away, but it's not too early to push them.
    No argument there Sodam.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    That's a really good thing. I never really had a problem out of Robert Venditti on John Stewart (although his writing on John certainly isn't the best compared to other writers like Van Jensen), my personal disappointment is aimed more towards his superiors at DC.
    With the upcoming movie(albeit 3 years from now), the superiors better not keep procrastinating.

By the way SPOILERS: Justice League Dark was released digitally today and I gotta say if anyone plans to check it out for John Stewart, just don't bother. He has two scenes, one of which is the preview clip in the Hall of Justice meeting, the second one is him getting brainwashed and attacking Batman, with Batman stealing his ring, the same way he stole Jordan's, and knocking him out. He barely even gets to make constructs, I think there was just one or two. To call his appearance a cameo is an understatement. I'm sure nobody expected him to have a bigger role but what he got was ridiculous. These guys seem to love to embarrass the Lanterns for Batman's sake. The entire JL is also never seen again after the aforementioned meeting.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-24-2017 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Oh....snap!!!

You know...when you break it down like that...

Nothing wrong with men & women being strictly friends.

It's funny that Karen, and even Kara, got a thing for black men, but the handling of those relationships is no bueno.
    haha crap i mixed up my blonde superwomen civilian names didn't i?

What's funny is that, if we count Captain Marvel, there was period about 2 years ago where the 3 blonde superwomen of the big 2 were dating brothas (Rhodey, Michael/Val, wheelchair teen).. and it ended up horribly for all of them lol. Tho i guess for the teen it wasn't bad, more so Kara's book was canceled and she was put on the shelf until this rebirth stuff, at which point i dont think he carried over.

But the general mishandling aside, I think Karen and John would be a fun pairing.