Page 458 of 568 FirstFirst ... 358408448454455456457458459460461462468508558 ... LastLast
Results 6,856 to 6,870 of 8518

What did he screw up tho. Typical BleedingCool bs rhetoric. Johns had no involvement in MoS, BvS or SS, he came on board after JL was already filming and from what I remember from reading about the creative process, the only thing he had a hand in was helping bring in Whedon for the reshoots. Tsujihara was the one who demanded the JL movie to be 2 hours long after he didn't like Snyder's original cut, and ordered the rewrites and reshoots. As far as JL goes, Johns was basically an observer with a producer credit. The main thing thus far that Johns actually participated in was helping with the WW script and given how "badly" that movie turned out, that must have screwed up the DCEU too I guess. Look, Johns isn't a favorite of mine. I have no issues calling him out on some of his bs as I have many times before, but there's no reason for WB to be "pissed at him" when he has barely done anything for them yet. Plus, it's not like he's given the same power that his buddy Kevin has. The WB suits have been micromanaging everything as we've seen on multiple occasions. Bleeding Cool loves to stir shit up and I get that, but that part of the article got me rolling me eyes. It's just another case of what we talked about before, with WB once again freaking out and being reactive instead of proactive, or "course correcting" with no clear vision in mind yet again. Remember how they loved patting themselves on the back after WW came out? Now they are in panic mode again. It's kind of comical to be honest.

As far as Johns himself is concerned, I don't think he would be ushered out. In fact, I doubt his role has changed much at all. I think it became clear awhile ago that he might not have that much input as far as decisions were concerned, as I pointed out. I think in the end-game, Johns is a sort of "secret weapon" in the PR and idea area. He may help guide things as far as character structure is concerned when working with a team and throw out the history and landmarks of the characters, but as far as the film architecture goes, I doubt he has anything to do without politicing the suits.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-07-2017 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    Good!

It says Warner Bros. is pissed off at Berg and Geoff Johns for screwing up the DCEU. Well cotdamn WB, welcome to the club

Says Johns role may diminish to be more 'advisory' in the future? Nah, just get rid of him.

Agreed, I want him out. And if he ever gets out, then good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    What did he screw up tho. Typical BleedingCool bs rhetoric. Johns had no involvement in MoS, BvS or SS, he came on board after JL was already filming and from what I remember from reading about the creative process, the only thing he had a hand in was helping bring in Whedon for the reshoots. Tsujihara was the one who demanded the JL movie to be 2 hours long after he didn't like Snyder's original cut, and ordered the rewrites and reshoots. As far as JL goes, Johns was basically an observer with a producer credit. The main thing thus far that Johns actually participated in was helping with the WW script and given how "badly" that movie turned out, that must have screwed up the DCEU too I guess. Look, Johns isn't a favorite of mine. I have no issues calling him out on some of his bs as I have many times before, but there's no reason for WB to be "pissed at him" when he has barely done anything for them yet. Plus, it's not like he's given the same power that his buddy Kevin has. The WB suits have been micromanaging everything as we've seen on multiple occasions. Bleeding Cool loves to stir shit up and I get that, but that part of the article got me rolling me eyes. It's just another case of what we talked about before, with WB once again freaking out and being reactive instead of proactive, or "course correcting" with no clear vision in mind yet again. Remember how they loved patting themselves on the back after WW came out? Now they are in panic mode again. It's kind of comical to be honest.

As far as Johns himself is concerned, I don't think he would be ushered out. In fact, I doubt his role has changed much at all. I think it became clear awhile ago that he might not have that much input as far as decisions were concerned, as I pointed out. I think in the end-game, Johns is a sort of "secret weapon" in the PR and idea area. He may help guide things as far as character structure is concerned when working with a team and throw out the history and landmarks of the characters, but as far as the film architecture goes, I doubt he has anything to do without politicing the suits.
    Johnny, I already know you're not really a big fan of Johns and you have called him out on his bs. You do make some excellent points here, no doubt. But hasn't this JL lineup somewhat been inspired by Geoff Johns' New 52 vision? And what about the GL 2011 film? Some of those elements and concepts have came from Geoff Johns though. I wouldn't be that surprised if WB have been frustrated by this.

I'm not saying the fault solely relies on Johns, either. BUT, can there be some blame on Geoff Johns?

And I have no problem with the roster of JL with Cyborg (he was by far the best character on the movie).
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 12-08-2017 at 12:19 AM.

Good!

It says Warner Bros. is pissed off at Berg and Geoff Johns for screwing up the DCEU. Well cotdamn WB, welcome to the club

Says Johns role may diminish to be more 'advisory' in the future? Nah, just get rid of him.

Can't be better said...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Agreed, I want him out. And if he ever gets out, then good riddance.

Johnny, I already know you're not really a big fan of Johns and you have called him out on his bs. You do make some excellent points here, no doubt. But hasn't this JL lineup somewhat been inspired by Geoff Johns' New 52 vision? And what about the GL 2011 film? Some of those elements and concepts have came from Geoff Johns though. I wouldn't be that surprised if WB have been frustrated by this.

I'm not saying the fault solely relies on Johns, either. BUT, can there be some blame on Geoff Johns?.
    Everything DC-related Johns is involved with outside of comics feels the same--from the 2011 Green Lantern film to the post-new 52 animated films to the CW shows to 2017's Justice League. Most of these (not all) are projects that fall back on humor but aren't funny and don't have any heart to them IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post

I'm not saying the fault solely relies on Johns, either. BUT, can there be some blame on Geoff Johns?
    I think those stories are just not that good of a material to adapt, let alone use to start a cinematic universe. Granted, I don't think TDKR is appropriate for that either, but if it was better adapted, as a movie BvS could've turned out to be something spectacular. Johns' GL Secret Origin and his New 52 JL Origin aren't the proper stories to use, especially the latter which is extremely generic. A bunch of heroes putting the band together to fight an alien army led by an evil dictator, you couldn't get anymore generic if you tried. Naturally Johns was going to be a consultant on those stories being adapted to film since he wrote them, but as far as the chaos behind the scenes during JL's troubled production I don't think Johns should be held accountable for the end result, since we knew all along what was going on before, during and after he was added to the mix. I think many people expected him to somehow turn out to be the "savior" of the DCEU, when all he was is a PR puppet with extensive comic book knowledge, not an actual creative driving force the studio was going to give the keys to the city. I don't think he was ever going to have similar power there to what he has in DC, regardless of how JL ended up performing.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-08-2017 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Everything DC-related Johns is involved with outside of comics feels the same--from the 2011 Green Lantern film to the post-new 52 animated films to the CW shows to 2017's Justice League. Most of these (not all) are projects that fall back on humor but aren't funny and don't have any heart to them IMO.
    I'd say they have as much heart as your average Marvel movie or cartoon that also relies on a lot on humor (and humor is subjective).

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Most of these "new 52" era films have been pretty wack. Haven't been able to put my finger on why but the lack of heart to them rings true, or just a wooden feel to them. That and the doubling down on everything batman and/or Damian.

The Timm/McDuffie era just felt more lively and diversified. Same for Young Justice.

Though after what Timm presented with that last Batman movie (killing joke) I'm fairly certain he was either on a coke binge (not talking the soda) or the late great Dwayne McDuffie's importance is that much more understated when it came to his contributions to the JLU/DCAU. I think you can make a great case for either theory, in my humble opinion.

Most of these "new 52" era films have been pretty wack. Haven't been able to put my finger on why but the lack of heart to them rings true, or just a wooden feel to them. That and the doubling down on everything batman and/or Damian.
    I think the initial films that were more immediately based around the New 52 were weaker then the usual DC Animated Features but I think they've steadlily improved, especially once they got to the Teen Titans movies.

Though after what Timm presented with that last Batman movie (killing joke) I'm fairly certain he was either on a coke binge (not talking the soda) or the late great Dwayne McDuffie's importance is that much more understated when it came to his contributions to the JLU/DCAU. I think you can make a great case for either theory, in my humble opinion.
    I see you skipped over Batman and Harley Quinn .

I think with Timm it's become more apparent how important his collaborators are to the creative process.

There's a difference between Alan Burnett on Gods and Monsters and Brian Azzarello on The Killing Joke.

Jim Krieg helped write Batman and Harley Quinn and Gotham by Gaslight, but I think you can see that the former was more Timm then him while the latter looks much more solid since Timm doesn't seem to have that much of his creative imprint on it. Just my two cents there.

Ultimate Member

The Timm/McDuffie era just felt more lively and diversified. Same for Young Justice.

They understood the concept of you are creating a product for EVERYBODY versus a certain segment of fans.

The New 52 era films are done to pander to a certain group. To sell certain characters by any means to folks.

There is a reason folks value the Timm/McDuffie era and Young Justice. Interesting the casts from those eras are the MAIN ones screwed over by Johns's New 52 era.

BANNED

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 12-09-2017 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    They understood the concept of you are creating a product for EVERYBODY versus a certain segment of fans.

The New 52 era films are done to pander to a certain group. To sell certain characters by any means to folks.
    You nailed it.

There is a reason folks value the Timm/McDuffie era and Young Justice. Interesting the casts from those eras are the MAIN ones screwed over by Johns's New 52 era.

Whoa. You nailed it again. Back to back.

Johns gotta go

BANNED

Extraordinary Member

There are many reasons why the New 52 era movies haven't been so well received: the clunky dialogue, the not-so-great voice acting, the awful costumes, etc. I'd just say people don't like the New 52 in general because it feels like they're spitting on DC's past. Honestly, if they had done a more classic League origin movie, with the original big seven, then people might actually have liked it.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 12-10-2017 at 11:20 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    What did he screw up tho. Typical BleedingCool bs rhetoric. Johns had no involvement in MoS, BvS or SS, he came on board after JL was already filming and from what I remember from reading about the creative process, the only thing he had a hand in was helping bring in Whedon for the reshoots.
    Yeah, this is along the lines of what I had read and heard too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    There are many reasons why the New 52 era movies haven't been so well received: the clunky dialogue, the not-so-great voice acting, the awful costumes, etc. I'd just say people don't like the New 52 in general because it feels like they're spitting on DC's past. Honestly, if they had done a more classic League origin movie, with the original big seven, then people might actually have liked it.
    I doubt it. The reason the New 52 animated films have had a mixed reception is because of how Batverse centric and by extension Damian Wayne centric they have been. We've seen Damian go toe to toe with Batman, defeat Nightwing, kill Deathstroke, take down Superman and be an outright jerk to the Titans. Fans are bound to have a problem with that. JLD and Judas Contract were well recieved and quite good, neither focused on Damian either.

As for JL, no thank you to that lame 1960's line-up. I actually enjoyed Cyborg and Shazam's additions. My one complaint is that the League needs more females since Diana is the only one on a team of 11 people!
    Last edited by El_Gato; 12-10-2017 at 01:31 PM.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!