Page 461 of 568 FirstFirst ... 361411451457458459460461462463464465471511561 ... LastLast
Results 6,901 to 6,915 of 8518

I personally feel the opposite. I think legacy only enriches the universe and it's history. At it's best anyway. At it's worst it does lead to fandom wars, but it's too late to go back now, so it would probably be easier to just meet fans half way and make all the versions valid.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSupernaut View Post
    How do you hate legacy with a Jaime Reyes avy?
    Jaime should have never been a legacy character to begin with. He has nothing in common with Ted Kord or Dan Garrett, beyond sharing the Blue Beetle name. His mythology, prior to the recent retcon, revolved around aliens and Meaoamerica. His rogues gallery was unique to him as was his supporting cast. He also has a completely different powerset compared to Ted and Dan. That's probably why he's stuck around so long and been more successful than Ryan Choi and Jason Rusch, who were all introduced around the same timeframe.

Anyway I said I hate legacy because I always end up liking the successor more than the predecessor and usually the successor gets treated like crap.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Most of the fans that call that 60's line-up "classic" or "timeless" belong to a certain age bracket, or so I've noticed. Powerwise, personality wise, and yes diversity wise.
    As in old white men, right? That must be the only type of fan who could possibly enjoy that line-up. I'm such an out of touch 30 year old fan who must have a problem with diversity because I appreciate that line-up. Imagine when I get to 40. Gasp! It's still real to me dammit! I want the Attitude Era back.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    As in old white men, right? That must be the only type of fan who could possibly enjoy that line-up. I'm such an out of touch 30 year old fan who must have a problem with diversity because I appreciate that line-up. Imagine when I get to 40. Gasp! It's still real to me dammit! I want the Attitude Era back.
    I never mentioned race or gender in my post, but hey if the shoe fits then you might as well wear it.

I never mentioned race or gender in my post, but hey if the shoe fits then you might as well wear it.
    Yet, that's exactly what you meant. It's fine, as a 90s kid I guess I can understand that sentiment, though it still feels weird to some extent. Shrugs.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-11-2017 at 02:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Yet, that's exactly what you meant. It's fine, as a 90s kid I guess I can understand that sentiment, though it still feels weird to some extent. Shrugs.
    Nope. I didn't mention race or gender because I've encountered Latinos/Asians and females who prefer the 60's line-up but they're usually older, hence why I mentioned age. Likewise, I've also encountered White men who dislike that line-up to.

Nope. I didn't mention race or gender because I've encountered Latinos/Asians and females who prefer the 60's line-up but they're usually older, hence why I mentioned age. Likewise, I've also encountered White men who dislike that line-up to.
    What's interesting is we've never really seen this exact line-up outside of comics, naturally I imagined the people you were referring to must've been specifically comic fans who've been reading DC for decades when diversity wasn't much of a priority. I wonder if that line-up would be disliked on principle by general masses for the same reasons that you pointed out. Lack of diversity, created in the 60s, etc. Some people still criticize the first Avengers movie for that reason, yet that Avengers line-up is a staple now. They just replaced two white characters(Pym and Janet) with two other white characters(Widow and Barton)
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-11-2017 at 04:06 AM.

BANNED

Jaime should have never been a legacy character to begin with. He has nothing in common with Ted Kord or Dan Garrett, beyond sharing the Blue Beetle name. His mythology, prior to the recent retcon, revolved around aliens and Meaoamerica. His rogues gallery was unique to him as was his supporting cast. He also has a completely different powerset compared to Ted and Dan. That's probably why he's stuck around so long and been more successful than Ryan Choi and Jason Rusch, who were all introduced around the same timeframe.

Anyway I said I hate legacy because I always end up liking the successor more than the predecessor and usually the successor gets treated like crap.
    Two things to consider when wishing Jaime was never Blue Beetle:

1) Story. Yes Jaime's background and powers were very different from Dan and Ted's, but take away him being a legacy and you lose a lot of the best stuff in his series thematically, not to mention Guy's presence. Plus, without those ties, you lose a lot of Jaime's best appearences. No back-ups in Booster Gold, no being part of the JLI in Generation Lost, no time travelling to save Ted with Booster, etc. Without legacy, you get the Nu52 Blue Beetle and Jaime's appearence in Threshhold.

2) Success. Jaime's original book sold below 20,000 by issue 10. The Blue Beetle isn't a big name but the book likely would have been doing even worse without it. DC kept the book around, promoting it and wanting it to succeed, but it just didn't stick. It hit those cancellation numbers in half the time? Not only do we not get the full brilliant first storyline's conclusion, but with that much of a flop, he probably doesn't get a spot on Brave and the Bold or Young justice. He'd just be a random hero with a small cult fanbase brought back every few years when a large group shot is needed.

Don't hate legacy. Hate DC's asinine misuse of the concept.
    Last edited by Assam; 12-11-2017 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Don't hate legacy. Hate DC's asinine misuse of the concept.
    Word.

10char

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Charming little rascals, That fab5 era was so cute
    Yes they were cute little rascals back then in the sixties. Then they grew up through the 80s and 90s and became awesome.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Is John doing the GL ice bucket challenge or getting pranked ?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Is John doing the GL ice bucket challenge or getting pranked ?
    The former, lol. I remember this being posted on ComicVine when the ice bucket challenge was big.

GL should definitely nominate Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    The former, lol. I remember this being posted on ComicVine when the ice bucket challenge was big.

GL should definitely nominate Batman.
    I think he'd probably nominate Batman, Guy, Hal, Ganthet, Salaak, and Wally...

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar