Page 467 of 568 FirstFirst ... 367417457463464465466467468469470471477517567 ... LastLast
Results 6,991 to 7,005 of 8518

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I feel the same. I've got part of the Van Jensen/Chang run(Nu52 GLC vol 4) and it was great. I don't know why they don't just give John Stewart the GLC book permanently and Hal be in GL.

There's got to be a compromise somewhere that they both can exist at the same time.
    I think it has to do with the mandate of Jess and Simon to get their own book. Unfortunately they can't expand the books into more than 2 books, due to the lack of sales. It's upsetting by the fact that Van Jensen did lots of interesting things with John and when these other writers take over, they act like it never happened or existed. The editorial management is awful. John Stewart should've been the head of the GLC while Hal was leading in GL.

They can exist at the same time, but that's not what DC or what these writers wants. Gabriel Hardman could've used both John and Hal (I mean, why not? Aren't they both going to be co-leads in the GLC movie?), but it's always one over the other. So I have no interest in purchasing anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    It's fine, let it out. lol I don't think Hardman is a fanboy, so I'm not sure Silver Age nostalgia was a motivating factor, but he does mention in the interview that he worked on the Green Lantern movie, so maybe he is just more familiar with Hal's character and wanted to do him justice, unlike the movie.
    About him working on the GL movie could be the reason why he decided to use Hal.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    The thing is, John is a silver age character. Folks keep acting like he debuted in the 1980s. No, that was just when it was decided to use him in a monthly title.

Nevermind that the 80's run showed the character could turn a profit.
    Exactly, Anthony. There's too many excuses. These writers should just come out and say that they're not really fond of the John Stewart character and prefer others over him. I'm really sickened by this.

Koliwog & Arisia should be part of the main cast.
    I'd love to see one storyline that reunites the cast of the old "GLC" title.(most of them are still alive) Have them deal with some unfinshed business from back in the day. Maybe have Kyle tag along as an excuse for exposition.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I'd love to see one storyline that reunites the cast of the old "GLC" title.(most of them are still alive) Have them deal with some unfinshed business from back in the day. Maybe have Kyle tag along as an excuse for exposition.
    I thought the current series would just be a modern take from the 80's, initially.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 01-05-2018 at 03:51 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Exactly, Anthony. There's too many excuses. These writers should just come out and say that they're not really fond of the John Stewart character and prefer others over him. I'm really sickened by this.
    Sadly, their actions speak more loudly than words at this point.

It is sad that I sit here thinking a financially & critically favored GLC film is the last hope that DC will do anything worthwhile with John Stewart.

Still Sodam, just think of the money you continue to save thanks to DC.

Astonishing Member

I've always loved John Stewart because of the JL cartoon but what are some of his bigger stories, lately or otherwise?

I know comic wise Mosaic was big for him, and the accidental hand in the destruction of Xanshi in Cosmic Odyssey was huge part of his stories later on but aside from that? What other big stories does John have? I'd love to know.

The only other thing I'm somewhat aware of was his wife when he was with Katma Tui and his dating of Fatality when she was a Star Sapphire.

Quote Originally Posted by JudasFanny616 View Post
    I grew up watching the Justice League cartoon so John Stewart was my Green Lantern, just like how Wally was, still is, my Flash.
    I got into comics because of the JL cartoon and John became my favorite GL. John Stewart and Wally West are great characters.

Sadly, their actions speak more loudly than words at this point.

It is sad that I sit here thinking a financially & critically favored GLC film is the last hope that DC will do anything worthwhile with John Stewart.

Still Sodam, just think of the money you continue to save thanks to DC.
    It's a shame. The only way John Stewart gets to star in his own book or at least be a lead in a team book, DC would have to solicit pitches, since many writers don't care for him.

True lol. I won't give DC a dime.

Ultimate Member

The thing is, John is a silver age character. Folks keep acting like he debuted in the 1980s. No, that was just when it was decided to use him in a monthly title.

Nevermind that the 80's run showed the character could turn a profit.
    True. However after he appeared it was 14 years before we saw him again.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    He appeared in some other issues before 1985.

Green Lantern (DC)(04 - John Stewart) - Chronological Listing
    http://www.comicbookdb.com/character_chron.php?ID=37

http://www.comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=37
    Last edited by mace11; 01-06-2018 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JudasFanny616 View Post
    I grew up watching the Justice League cartoon so John Stewart was my Green Lantern, just like how Wally was, still is, my Flash.
    The ironic thing for me was that I grew up with Kyle Rayner as my Green Lantern in the comics, and then saw John in the cartoon later. After that, it was like "Whoa...it could be like this?" I immediately fell in love with John--his strength, his dignity, the fact he wasn't anyone's POC sidekick, he was even allowed to have a romantic relationship. As a kid of color myself, that was a major eye-opener and John not only became my favorite GL but my favorite comic book character period.

But as been discussed repeatedly in this thread, DC tends to play favorites and John usually winds up getting the short-end of the stick these days. Even as Leader of the GL Corps, he's kind of fallen into the old TV trope of the "black police captain" who gives orders to others who go off to be heroes, wag a disapproving finger when they inevitably go too far on a case, but really isn't shown to have a life outside of the squad room. It was great when John was the star of GLC--it was actually what I had been waiting years for--but that book was plagued by constant crossovers that only allowed John his own story in the few issues between them. After GLC: Lost Army, the writing was kind on the wall.

I still supported the Green Lantern franchise through HJ & GLC--I still have those nine promotional rings from way back when on my shelf--but mid last year, I just kind of had enough. I'm not hating on Hal, Guy, Kyle, Simon, or Jessica, but John's my fav and I'm just not getting enough of him these days. So until things change, I just can't support the GL franchise anymore. I wish it was a situation where all the Earth Lanterns could have their own books and tell their own individual stories, but I just don't see that happening due to both the current DC editorial and state of the market. Maybe things will change eventually, but I'm not going to keep giving DC my dollars based on that personal hope...
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I thought John Stewart was a Bronze Age character. From interviews and actions over the years I get the impression that a good chunk of DCs talent and management are fans of the Silver Age.

When it comes to DC I've come to terms with the fact that I'm not their target audience and haven't been since 2002. The constant wallpapering, jobbing, and burying of John Stewart is just one of many examples. I keep saying this, but so long as the same people are in management no matter how often they mess up and fail nothing is going to change.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    I thought John Stewart was a Bronze Age character.
    He was. For some reason, the Silver and Bronze Ages are used interchangeably by some.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

The Silver Age is supposed to be from the late 1950s to 1970. John Stewart was created in '71 so technically he can't be Silver Age, but some comic scholars point to Gwen Stacy's death as the "official" end of the Silver Age and that happened in '73. I'd consider him Bronze Age, but I can understand people who think he's SA.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    The Silver Age is supposed to be from the late 1950s to 1970. John Stewart was created in '71 so technically he can't be Silver Age, but some comic scholars point to Gwen Stacy's death as the "official" end of the Silver Age and that happened in '73. I'd consider him Bronze Age, but I can understand people who think he's SA.
    The Bronze Age began years before Gwen's death. In the case of DC, it was starting to form during the late '60s, though not across the board and the CCA held it back a bit until it was amended in the near future. As for John's first appearance, it's hard to think of it as a Silver Age story in style or substance.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Isn't Green Lantern/Green Arrow, which was around the time John was created, regarded as Bronze Age?