Page 48 of 568 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148548 ... LastLast

I also think John should be the GL of the main Justice League book (a series that I enjoy) but that will not happen while Geoff Johns is captain of that ship. So seeing John appear in JLU would be good for now. Lemire is an excellent writer. He should be able to continue the great recent development of John. I would also like to see John with a major role in multiple titles.

I am glad to see John will be an important component of the GODHEAD crossover.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    What do you guys think of the idea of John Stewart joining Justice League United? They're billed as a cosmic Justice League, so it's bizarre as heck that they have no Green Lantern on their roster. I've thought about that some, and my feelings are mixed.

Pros:
    Another book with John means more exposure for the character and simply more content for his fans.
    More opportunities for John to build strong bonds with other DC characters. He pretty much has nothing to do with anyone who isn't Lantern related.
    I've heard that Lemire will be doing things with Thanagarians in JLU. This could be the perfect place for him to meet Shayera.
    Being a Green Lantern, he's a natural fit.

Cons:
    John Stewart deserves to be on the main Justice League. Putting him in JLU seems like it could be shipping him off to a second rate League and ensuring that he won't be in the main one.
    ^ On the other hand, as long as Geoff Johns is writing that book, we likely won't see John Stewart there anyway.
    ^ Furthermore, that book is not even that good. Would we want him there anyway?

The only reason I'd want John in the New 52 main Justice League is because it would boost the likelihood that we'd see more of him in other media. From what I've read, I really don't care for that book, and I don't care for Geoff Johns, so it's not like I'm dying to see him in the JL because that book is so great.
    Hmmm...well wat wud John b in JLU whn Simon Baz is absent?

It wud seem sumwat unfair 2 Baz but hving said dat we/SZ wud luv 2 c John privately training Baz in d pgs of JLU while also maintaining his plots & stories & duties in d GLC title.

We/SZ agree it wud b a gr8 plc 4 him 2 meet Shayera but ...uhm...we/SZ dunno, aint against it but dammit Jensen REALLY SOLD d John/Fatality romance so well.

Wat abt John/Vixen relationship?

As for Baz, well he isn't in Justice League United, so it's not like John would be taking his spot. The writers don't seem to want to use him, and he hasn't got much of a fan base as far as I can tell. I'd rather see more John Stewart than him.

About a Vixen romance, I personally don't have any investment in that, as I mentioned a few pages back.

Astonishing Member

i don't baz even really factored johns plans that much, johns seems to have stuck to whatever plan he had prior to the reboot and found himself wrong-footed by the changes (like the number of easily available earth lanterns he liked/was comfortable with was suddenly much reduced). it didn't help that if johns did have plans for him in JLA, the lack of time between start-up and TW (by either johns* or editorial through the apparent frequent rewrites) certainly killed whatever momentum he had. i'd say he'll be cannon fodder in Godhead to demonstrate that New 52 highfather ain't too different to his in-law

i would certainly like to see john in JLU (or, if the inversions or other cosmic magic demons show up, even a guest-stint in JLD) because i really like when he interacts with other superheroes. and because, if wally's off the table until the next crisis (which shall feature corporate synergy yet unseen), i want him to at least interact with arrow nad SG again.

i'm also looking forward to john being the one to command the combined might of the color corps (because the solicts make me think we've ALL been had with regard to where this is all going), i just wonder if he should let the sapphires fry under the might of the New Gods

i suspect john will be the lantern of the movie-verse, while hal (as a lantern or not) will be in the CW-verse.
    john for the movie-verse because A) the awesome that is/was the DCAU incarnation, B) yes, hal's movie flopped horrifically*, C) less complicated backstory(Then than xanshi and katma, how much john origin did we get in JL/JLU?), C) Johns isn't going to fuss when he's got his shazam and aquaman movies (and possibly metal men) to cackle maniacally over and D) WB are cynical as hell and will go to great lengths to make sure JL isn't just avengers with more shame of the genre their in
    hal will get tv because A) Johns and B) Ollie/Barry bromancing

*that said, i want that oa design back

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    i don't baz even really factored johns plans that much, johns seems to have stuck to whatever plan he had prior to the reboot and found himself wrong-footed by the changes (like the number of easily available earth lanterns he liked/was comfortable with was suddenly much reduced). it didn't help that if johns did have plans for him in JLA, the lack of time between start-up and TW (by either johns* or editorial through the apparent frequent rewrites) certainly killed whatever momentum he had. i'd say he'll be cannon fodder in Godhead to demonstrate that New 52 highfather ain't too different to his in-law
    According to Green Lantern #20 (Geoff Johns' last GL comic), Simon Baz is supposed to train Jessica Cruz, or something like that, so I don't know if he'll die in "Godhead." He may, though. I still speculate that Baz had something to do with John Stewart's planned death. With John Stewart still alive, and with the writers now using him, there may be no place for Baz. Had John died, perhaps Baz would have been in Green Lantern Corps. Anyway, I've got no love for Simon Baz so I don't care if they get rid of him.

i would certainly like to see john in JLU (or, if the inversions or other cosmic magic demons show up, even a guest-stint in JLD) because i really like when he interacts with other superheroes. and because, if wally's off the table until the next crisis (which shall feature corporate synergy yet unseen), i want him to at least interact with arrow nad SG again.
    John has a great dynamic with Green Arrow and Supergirl in Justice League Unlimited. It would be cool to see something like that in Justice League United.

i'm also looking forward to john being the one to command the combined might of the color corps (because the solicts make me think we've ALL been had with regard to where this is all going), i just wonder if he should let the sapphires fry under the might of the New Gods
    John in command of all the Corps (or at least most of them) does sound pretty exciting. I'm curious to see where that leads. While I'm actually behind the idea of lessening the color Corps and wouldn't mind the Star Sapphires being wiped out, I really don't want John to look like a royal screw up. So, they've kinda' got me in a spot there

i suspect john will be the lantern of the movie-verse, while hal (as a lantern or not) will be in the CW-verse.
    john for the movie-verse because A) the awesome that is/was the DCAU incarnation, B) yes, hal's movie flopped horrifically*, C) less complicated backstory(Then than xanshi and katma, how much john origin did we get in JL/JLU?), C) Johns isn't going to fuss when he's got his shazam and aquaman movies (and possibly metal men) to cackle maniacally over and D) WB are cynical as hell and will go to great lengths to make sure JL isn't just avengers with more shame of the genre their in
    hal will get tv because A) Johns and B) Ollie/Barry bromancing
    That's one possibility. I don't really care about the CW universe, myself, but if I was WB, I wouldn't let those guys over at CW use Hal Jordan. NO. They are all the same people who caused the disaster of the 2011 Green Lantern film to happen. Including Geoff Johns.

Astonishing Member

According to Green Lantern #20 (Geoff Johns' last GL comic), Simon Baz is supposed to train Jessica Cruz, or something like that, so I don't know if he'll die in "Godhead." He may, though. I still speculate that Baz had something to do with John Stewart's planned death. With John Stewart still alive, and with the writers now using him, there may be no place for Baz. Had John died, perhaps Baz would have been in Green Lantern Corps. Anyway, I've got no love for Simon Baz so I don't care if they get rid of him.
    johns doesn't stick to his own futures (and there were a fair few of those regarding stargirl if i recall), and there is some form of crisis coming , so i doubt he's going to stick to it

maybe simon was intended to replace john, maybe he wasn't i doubt we'll know anytime this decade. i still think he was created solely because johns suddenly found the flop-related noose he's on extended only so far as getting stargirl off earth-2, but not to grabbing alan (his 2nd favorite GL) for a spin. i would say that johns is one of those writers who tries to stick to his pre-planned stuff, except in his case most of his pre-planned stuff ran headlong into the reboot.

i'm not sure the kill john was necessarily johns though. he had a thousand and one opportunities to kill off john before the movie flopped, or could have gotten morrison to kill him off with j'onn in FC (although that would have involved dismemberment by way of mary marvel, so who knows); i mean he offed wally and shayera in his time, killing JLU characters was not exactly unknown to him. and the killing thing was confirmed around the time there were rumors of squabbles between dan dido and johns

John has a great dynamic with Green Arrow and Supergirl in Justice League Unlimited. It would be cool to see something like that in Justice League United.
    indeed. and i'd like to see interaction with animal man (as i understand animal man and swampy were subject to the vertigo embargo when the tv show was running. pity that)

John in command of all the Corps (or at least most of them) does sound pretty exciting. I'm curious to see where that leads. While I'm actually behind the idea of lessening the color Corps and wouldn't mind the Star Sapphires being wiped out, I really don't want John to look like a royal screw up. So, they've kinda' got me in a spot there
    their not killing off carol, kyle's got enough dead girlfriends as it is.
    but it is telling that, in the build up to a AM/Darkseid throw down (A darkseid war, if you will), in addition to multiverity (in which morrsion and johns have apparently been doing some coordinating); the corps that was wiped out is also the one that would be most powerful against darkseid's most potent weapon (to paraphrase morpheus: Hope trumps anti-life), right before a new god invasion.

That's one possibility. I don't really care about the CW universe, myself, but if I was WB, I wouldn't let those guys over at CW use Hal Jordan. NO. They are all the same people who caused the disaster of the 2011 Green Lantern film to happen. Including Geoff Johns.
    and yet arrow is successful, and the flash pilot has been largely well-received from what i've seen. and its been explicitly stated that there shall be no interacting with the movie-verse
    and besides, the arrow writers have had hal (And dick grayson) on their guest star wishlist since season 1. even without johns, they'd be getting it by now. and he wouldn't be green lantern (a new gods tv show would be less budget intensive than a handful of hal-as-lantern appearances)

Ultimate Member

What do you guys think of the idea of John Stewart joining Justice League United? They're billed as a cosmic Justice League, so it's bizarre as heck that they have no Green Lantern on their roster. I've thought about that some, and my feelings are mixed.

Pros:
    Another book with John means more exposure for the character and simply more content for his fans.
    More opportunities for John to build strong bonds with other DC characters. He pretty much has nothing to do with anyone who isn't Lantern related.
    I've heard that Lemire will be doing things with Thanagarians in JLU. This could be the perfect place for him to meet Shayera.
    Being a Green Lantern, he's a natural fit.

Cons:
    John Stewart deserves to be on the main Justice League. Putting him in JLU seems like it could be shipping him off to a second rate League and ensuring that he won't be in the main one.
    ^ On the other hand, as long as Geoff Johns is writing that book, we likely won't see John Stewart there anyway.
    ^ Furthermore, that book is not even that good. Would we want him there anyway?
    Look at it like this John in JLU COULD work out.

You have WAY more freedom because you have a book not held hostage by 6 other books (not counting the Batman cult) to do what you want.

You have a franchise that you can easily translate to a DVD animated film.

You can have another set of figures to sell and you can MIX them with Justice League (whose sets are NOT selling at stores).

You get John on Earth for a while.

their not killing off carol, kyle's got enough dead girlfriends as it is.
    but it is telling that, in the build up to a AM/Darkseid throw down (A darkseid war, if you will), in addition to multiverity (in which morrsion and johns have apparently been doing some coordinating); the corps that was wiped out is also the one that would be most powerful against darkseid's most potent weapon (to paraphrase morpheus: Hope trumps anti-life), right before a new god invasion.
    I'm pretty confident Carol Ferris won't die. She has a long history of being a Star Sapphire before there was a Corps of them, so she might wind up being the only one again. I wouldn't be surprised if the others die, though. Especially since Fatality is no longer among their ranks. Speaking of her, it would be interesting if she actually assists the New Gods in their attack against the Star Sapphires. She does have a vendetta against the Star Sapphires now, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Look at it like this John in JLU COULD work out.

You have a franchise that you can easily translate to a DVD animated film.
    True, but would DC/WB even do that? They only seem interested in doing Justice League (proper) and Batman animated films these days.

You can have another set of figures to sell and you can MIX them with Justice League (whose sets are NOT selling at stores).
    Hmm? The New 52 Justice League figures are not selling?

You get John on Earth for a while.
    That's an interesting point. I love John in space, and I would like Green Lantern Corps to stay there, but if he were to go in JLU that would give him something to do on Earth with other heroes. He flies around with a power ring, so I don't see why he can't be in space and also work with other heroes.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    ^I'm starting to get a bit hyped in the November solicits. It says "giving orders to Sinestro is altogether different!", which is quite interesting. It looks like John may have some relations towards Sinestro in this event. I wonder how that will turn out? I'm more than sure that's what Van Jensen meant when he said there's big plans for John this year.
    That was a relationship I felt was never adequately explored in recent years. The ghost of Katma should loom over both of them. They could either come to blows, or share a couple beers. I would imagine John would be familiar with aspects of culture from Korugar. He may even know the language. He would be an ideal person Sinestro could talk about his lost world with.

Extraordinary Member

I think John in JLU would be great for JLU. He would be the only reason I would pick up a trade from that group. The space stories would be John's specialty. I would not want John being in a JL title written by Geoff Johns.

Astonishing Member

I'm pretty confident Carol Ferris won't die. She has a long history of being a Star Sapphire before there was a Corps of them, so she might wind up being the only one again. I wouldn't be surprised if the others die, though. Especially since Fatality is no longer among their ranks. Speaking of her, it would be interesting if she actually assists the New Gods in their attack against the Star Sapphires. She does have a vendetta against the Star Sapphires now, after all.
    that might work. by the looks of things walker gets his hope back, so maybe iroque, carol, larfleeze (or glomulus) go hang out with kyle and whichever red survives once the templars take control of the corps back from hal and kyle's a green again (Which is why parallax still lives, if hope trumps anti-life, fear trumps life equation)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    That was a relationship I felt was never adequately explored in recent years. The ghost of Katma should loom over both of them. They could either come to blows, or share a couple beers. I would imagine John would be familiar with aspects of culture from Korugar. He may even know the language. He would be an ideal person Sinestro could talk about his lost world with.
    they could do all three (punch, beer, talk. repeat). and assuming that thaal isn't somehow replaced with sora when hal's presumably offed in the darkseid war; sinestro and john would be an interesting interaction. hal was always overindulging of sinestro's anti-villainy (in the hopes of luring his mentor back to good). john would stomach far less of his crap, but might also do something about trying to wring something more useful out of the yellows (Admittedly they'd become glowing space-batmen in such a case, but still) and reds than (more shooty stuff at the cosmic guy)

actually, did katma ever come up more than once in conversation between sinestro and sora?

I think John in JLU would be great for JLU. He would be the only reason I would pick up a trade from that group. The space stories would be John's specialty. I would not want John being in a JL title written by Geoff Johns.
    even as someone whose liked (sue me) the lionshare of johns stuff (which makes the stuff he screws up, such as john, so much worse), i wholeheartedly agree with this.
    even when johns tries (because unlike didio or his marvel counterpart, he seems to realize constantly actively pissing off the fanbase is somewhat counterproductive, which is why he usually gives himself some figleafs), or where he clearly does like the character (he has moments where his WW and Cyborg aren't omnishambles), he really can't get some characters*.

*oddly enough i have little problem with his batman

Extraordinary Member

that might work. by the looks of things walker gets his hope back, so maybe iroque, carol, larfleeze (or glomulus) go hang out with kyle and whichever red survives once the templars take control of the corps back from hal and kyle's a green again (Which is why parallax still lives, if hope trumps anti-life, fear trumps life equation)

they could do all three (punch, beer, talk. repeat). and assuming that thaal isn't somehow replaced with sora when hal's presumably offed in the darkseid war; sinestro and john would be an interesting interaction. hal was always overindulging of sinestro's anti-villainy (in the hopes of luring his mentor back to good). john would stomach far less of his crap, but might also do something about trying to wring something more useful out of the yellows (Admittedly they'd become glowing space-batmen in such a case, but still) and reds than (more shooty stuff at the cosmic guy)

actually, did katma ever come up more than once in conversation between sinestro and sora?

even as someone whose liked (sue me) the lionshare of johns stuff (which makes the stuff he screws up, such as john, so much worse), i wholeheartedly agree with this.
    even when johns tries (because unlike didio or his marvel counterpart, he seems to realize constantly actively pissing off the fanbase is somewhat counterproductive, which is why he usually gives himself some figleafs), or where he clearly does like the character (he has moments where his WW and Cyborg aren't omnishambles), he really can't get some characters*.

*oddly enough i have little problem with his batman
    I really liked how Johns portrayed Stewart in GL Rebirth. But when the monthly came back, it was instant down hill. I do enjoy Johns writing. I loved his Marvel work, especially his work on Black Panther & Falcon during his Avengers' run. I enjoy his Justice League run, also.

I just don't know what it is about John Stewart that underwhelms Johns as a writer. I would rather he not have to write John Stewart.

Some of Geoff Johns' biggest fails with John Stewart:

"Someone call for backup?"
    Yes, it's "the backup Lantern." Who is conveniently undercover to keep him far and away out of the story.

"I'm Hal Jordan's partner." The guy self-identifies himself in his own mind as Hal Jordan's partner. It's like, he's not even his own man, and thinks of himself as some kind of inferior or secondary version. 'An inferior or secondary version who is hardly around.' That seems to be the gist of John Stewart when penned by Geoff Johns.

I don't even think that one even needs a caption : /
    Last edited by Desh; 08-20-2014 at 02:41 PM.

Astonishing Member

I really liked how Johns portrayed Stewart in GL Rebirth. But when the monthly came back, it was instant down hill. I do enjoy Johns writing. I loved his Marvel work, especially his work on Black Panther & Falcon during his Avengers' run. I enjoy his Justice League run, also.

I just don't know what it is about John Stewart that underwhelms Johns as a writer. I would rather he not have to write John Stewart.
    if i was to guess, it was a case of editorial allowing him too much slack

for avengers and (Early, at least) JSA; he was on the same leash as everyone else. if i recall, he initally didn't want to go near power girl (i'm not sure if it was backstory grounds or other) and some of the other JSAers with a bargepole, but editorial demanded he did, so he worked with them and brought JSA to good heights

when johns pitched rebirth, he was on a leash; but once it produced the goods (Sales-wise) he was let off said leash and loosed his inner-fanboy, which leads ot him tripping over his own plans alot, and makes him easily redirected (Anyone notice the last stretch of his run was less hal and more "look how awesone sinestro is", though that coudl be a reaction to the epic flop)
    if johns wanted john dead, then there was nothing that would have stopped him. at the height of his success (prior to the end of BN) the only limits on johns' reach were the endless (though i imagine gaiman would have said yes if the pitch was good) and carrie kelly (miller seems to have vetoed her showing up, since the trouble with him and tec 27 emerged around the time carrie showed up in B&R). in this case apathy and laziness were worse than didio's open dislike of the DCAU

but no, i wouldn't want him writing john either. not only does john deserve better (and he really does), but DC's profit margins would be better suited to sticking johns back where he used to be great, reviving c-to-z list properties and making them important (the throne of atlantis and the metal men issues of JL were the best johns has done in a while). stick him on what he likes, keep enough editorial control to stop him smearing anyone without checking and let slip the necessary geoffcons (new 52 superboy could certainly have benefited from the clex clone thing); but for god sake make sure he has limits if he does an event (And don't promote his bat-family crossovers to defining crisis)

@desh: i really hope that last one was an editorial fudge in failing to spot a typo (or freudian slip if we want to go down that road, but that way lie madness and bans), on top of the rest