Page 51 of 568 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151551 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    Thanks for the news! I really hope it's a special event of some kind because I love Bernard Chang on the ongoing and prefer his work to Van Sciver's. Still, it's cool to hear that. If Van Jensen is writing, then whatever they're working on is probably about John Stewart. If so, it's cool that DC is putting a high profile artist on the character.
    I think Bernard Chang should stick with the GLC book, while I can see both Ethan and Van working on a project showcasing John Stewart. Imagine if they're project is going to focus on an origin story of John Stewart or it may relate to the Godhead event with John Stewart being the front and center. Van Jensen said there's going to be more news coming soon. It's good to see a high profile artist working with Van. There's so many good news with John Stewart this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I think Bernard Chang should stick with the GLC book, while I can see both Ethan and Van working on a project showcasing John Stewart. Imagine if they're project is going to focus on an origin story of John Stewart or it may relate to the Godhead event with John Stewart being the front and center. Van Jensen said there's going to be more news coming soon. It's good to see a high profile artist working with Van. There's so many good news with John Stewart this year.
    If it has to do with "Godhead," then I assume he's just doing a typical fill-in issue of Green Lantern Corps, which wouldn't be terribly interesting to me. About a month ago, I asked Van Jensen about the possibility of a Secret Origins issue with John Stewart, pointing out that the character desperately needs his New 52 origin told. Jensen simply told me there weren't any plans for it at the time. It's possible something could have changed since then, I suppose. There's also the possibility of a special mini-series, which would be very exciting to me, but it seems unlikely.

My estimation is that it's just fill-in work on GLC... I'm hoping for a mini-series, though! Seriously, John can use one. They've done great work with him in Green Lantern Corps, but there's still a lot that could be fleshed out, specifically about his past.

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    If it has to do with "Godhead," then I assume he's just doing a typical fill-in issue of Green Lantern Corps, which wouldn't be terribly interesting to me. About a month ago, I asked Van Jensen about the possibility of a Secret Origins issue with John Stewart, pointing out that the character desperately needs his New 52 origin told. Jensen simply told me there weren't any plans for it at the time. It's possible something could have changed since then, I suppose. There's also the possibility of a special mini-series, which would be very exciting to me, but it seems unlikely.

My estimation is that it's just fill-in work on GLC... I'm hoping for a mini-series, though! Seriously, John can use one. They've done great work with him in Green Lantern Corps, but there's still a lot that could be fleshed out, specifically about his past.
    I think Van Jensen already made hints about Pete Woods doing the artwork for Green Lantern: Godhead. So it's possible Van and Ethan's project may not be tied to the Godhead event, unless there's going to be a green lantern: godhead and green lantern corps: godhead as separate issues. I kinda doubt it though, because it seems Van Jensen would have already indicated it on his twitter like he did with Pete Woods.

I think Van Jensen already made hints about Pete Woods doing the artwork for Green Lantern: Godhead. So it's possible Van and Ethan's project may not be tied to the Godhead event, unless there's going to be a green lantern: godhead and green lantern corps: godhead as separate issues. I kinda doubt it though, because it seems Van Jensen would have already indicated it on his twitter like he did with Pete Woods.
    If the "Godhead" event lasts three months, then Van Sciver could do the art on Green Lantern Corps #37 instead of Bernard Chang, which would technically be part of the "Godhead" crossover.

That would be the least exciting scenario I can think of.

Astonishing Member

I haven't seen good Pete Woods stuff in quite a while.

He did a ton of design and solid monthly work for a lot of the whole New Krypton storyline. Given time and a storyline worth some creative heavy lifting, he's an underrated artist.

But I do not want Chang going anywhere. GLC is the best looking GL, and one of the best looking DC books, period.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Heads up to John Stewart fans. You may want to check out Red Lanterns #34, out this Wednesday. John will be appearing in the title again, and he may be the one to save Guy Gardner from his current predicament.

Extraordinary Member

That preview looks good.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Gonna make me spend more than I intend to, guys.

I'm still continuing my figure buying spree. This time, I picked up my two favorite John Stewart love interests (both incredible characters in their own rights):

Hawkgirl! My absolute favorite John Stewart love interest. Green Lantern/Hawkgirl is the superhero romance I've found myself most engrossed in.

Last edited by Desh; 08-26-2014 at 06:39 PM.

My second favorite for John is Katma Tui. I loved their relationship in the 80s comics and she is a great character in the Justice League episode "Hearts and Minds."

There are still a lot more figures I want to buy. Some of them are quite expensive D:

I've also got some trades of the mid-2000s JLA that feature John Stewart on the way. I'm going to read through those stories again, and read the ones I missed.

I'm also still planning on picking up the Justice League Adventures comics.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Hold_the_Mayo.jpg

Someone get John some chips to go with his sammich

My JLA trades arrived. I already had some of these, but I'm reading them altogether now. About 700 pages of content, I think. It's been really fun so far!

Man, this stuff is better than I remember some of it, and John Stewart is actually treated fairly well. It is so refreshing going back to this pre-Geoff Johns/Dan DiDio era. It seems so different from today. Once Identity Crisis came around, I bailed completely. And the Meltzer era, when they tried to phase Hal Jordan back into the League and bring in the Hall of Justice (WTF Superfriends fetish!?) didn't interest me, either.

Green Lantern and Superman have a great heart to heart.

I'm really enjoying reading this stuff so far. I just wish Hawkgirl was on the team.

Your opinions about this era of the JLA and John's tenure in it?
    Last edited by Desh; 08-30-2014 at 12:50 PM.

@Desh

Rules of Endgagement is short, but good. You can see Kanjar-Ro making an appearance on that particular story as well. Hopefully Kanjar-Ro can be a part of John's rogue gallery as well. John had some real cool moments when he was with the JLA. I haven't read all of the JLA with John's appearances in it. I'm going to get some JLA trades with his appearances in them.

In JLA #103 there's more interaction with Green Lantern and Superman as well. It's actually cool

@Desh

Rules of Endgagement is short, but good. You can see Kanjar-Ro making an appearance on that particular story as well. Hopefully Kanjar-Ro can be a part of John's rogue gallery as well. John had some real cool moments when he was with the JLA. I haven't read all of the JLA with John's appearances in it. I'm going to get some JLA trades with his appearances in them.

In JLA #103 there's more interaction with Green Lantern and Superman as well. It's actually cool
    Yeah, it's cool, and I like Kanjar's appearance in that. I'm not too fond of the characters Manitou Raven or Major Disaster, but they don't ruin anything for me. There are other characters I would have rather had, though, like Zatanna or, as mentioned earlier, Hawkgirl. Taking a look at this bio...

I'm now kinda' sharing Ray's earlier thoughts about petitioning to get rid of that Xanshi thing. It is something that is constantly hanging over John, and frankly, it's pretty tiring. DC just will not let that go.

I think DC give should give John more intense feats so that when people bring him up, they'll think of the positive things he's done and not about that one incident when he failed to save a planet. I think the best thing they can do is have him be the hero of a major event... and have him live through it, of course. Seriously, it's time DC give one of their PoC characters the spotlight in one of their events, and John is more than fit for that. They're certainly on the right track with what Van Jensen and co. have done, but there are still areas where they can improve John and boost his profile.

Extraordinary Member

Desh, I hope if DC does do another Crisis, Xanshi can be eliminated from John's history. Perhaps this is why John has not been given a proper origin in the new 52. I posted earlier, they can create another grievance Yrra can have for John. It really shows an utter lack of creativity that Xanshi be the defining moment for John while Hal and other heroes receive a clean slate after bad story arcs.