Page 526 of 568 FirstFirst ... 26426476516522523524525526527528529530536 ... LastLast
Results 7,876 to 7,890 of 8518
    BANNED

Unfortunately, without a solo book, John will not get the same level of development as a Lantern with a solo book, which only continues to make him look like a secondary character, when he's already demonstrated that he can be a strong lead.

Extraordinary Member

I agree with you, Sadam, about John staying put in Justice League.

It would be gravy for me if John is featured in a GL book, with GLC being my preference.

I don't think John will be considered for a solo until after the GLC film drops, provided the movie is well-received, and he is considered a break-out character.

I'll hold out hope on John getting a solo. Maybe they're testing the waters with him in the JL book, and if he proves to be popular (which he already has, but he can do it again) then I think we'll get one.
    My idea for his book would involve him reconnecting with friends/family on Earth bit by bit (but majority takes place in space), where we can see him be a hero to his hometown as well as the space sector utilizing his ideal skill set. Have him make friendships with other DC heroes to set up possible team ups (like GL/Green Arrow type stuff). Give him some villains of his own, maybe make Atrocitus his "Sinestro". I think a costume redesign would be cool to symbolize a new era in the character's career; make it like the ones they wore in "First Flight" but keep the green bright. Overall just go all out with character development and high end feats in stories that make him central to the GL Mythos like Hal/Kyle with a writer that knows how to handle him (like Van Jensen) and a good artist (like Kenneth Rocafort).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    I'll hold out hope on John getting a solo. Maybe they're testing the waters with him in the JL book, and if he proves to be popular (which he already has, but he can do it again) then I think we'll get one.
    My idea for his book would involve him reconnecting with friends/family on Earth bit by bit (but majority takes place in space), where we can see him be a hero to his hometown as well as the space sector utilizing his ideal skill set. Have him make friendships with other DC heroes to set up possible team ups (like GL/Green Arrow type stuff). Give him some villains of his own, maybe make Atrocitus his "Sinestro". I think a costume redesign would be cool to symbolize a new era in the character's career; make it like the ones they wore in "First Flight" but keep the green bright. Overall just go all out with character development and high end feats in stories that make him central to the GL Mythos like Hal/Kyle with a writer that knows how to handle him (like Van Jensen) and a good artist (like Kenneth Rocafort).
    I'd like to see this as well. If Baz and Jessica could appear in two titles, I don't see why John can't as well. It's not just about seeing representation; it's about the quality of the representation and how much DC is actually committed to that. Time and again, John has proven to be their most popular hero of color.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    I'd like to see this as well. If Baz and Jessica could appear in two titles, I don't see why John can't as well. It's not just about seeing representation; it's about the quality of the representation and how much DC is actually committed to that. Time and again, John has proven to be their most popular hero of color.
    EXACTLY. DC's sitting on a gold mine with him, especially with the success of Black Panther and his impact on the younger fans from JLU. He would not only elevate the GL franchise but the whole of the company as well with their (hopefully excellent) use of a black character in a globally iconic role, being treated like a big dog with the likes of Superman, Batman, WW, etc.

Extraordinary Member

These are great ideas!

Atrocitus would make an interesting foil for John. They are complete opposites. John is so controlled, focus, and professional. Atrocitus could be more like Joker, in wanting to corrupt John, and have him give in to years of rage that our hero has somehow managed to keep under wraps.

BANNED

John's apartment on Justice League gives us some insight into who he is:

He has a home gym, so you know he's all about efficiency. Nothing but a barbell, rings, and a punching bag, so he keeps his workouts simple. Probably more into functional strength than size.

Flash notes that he's neat, so you can tell he like to keep things organized. The exposed brick further supports the idea that he's more about function than flash, but it could also mean that he sees beauty in simplicity. The exposed vents give the apartment an industrial, modern vibe. And the posters indicate an appreciation for art.

We know he rents, which could be socioeconomic or could mean that he doesn't really plant roots.

For fun, you can compare John's apartment to: Flash's, which is very barebones and indicates he doesn't spend much time there; Superman's, which has modern and classic feel and is lofted above the city; or Batman's, which displays his wealth, but looks like it could be lonely place if it weren't for Alfred.

BANNED

Also, John like old recruitment posters, which indicates that he's still proud of being a Corpsman. And he rents in old neighborhood, which indicates that he may be trying to reconnect with the people on the ground, whom he feels he's lost touch with.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    All it's missing is Hawkgirl...

On a side note; am I the only one who likes John with the mask? Imo it makes Green Lanterns in general look a lot cooler as I feel it completes the "look" as well as fit in with the more "classic superhero" aspect, which is a big thing in DC. A badass look would be with the mask but you could still see his eyes like in "First Flight" and they still glow green like in JL/JLU.

BANNED

On a side note; am I the only one who likes John with the mask? Imo it makes Green Lanterns in general look a lot cooler as I feel it completes the "look" as well as fit in with the more "classic superhero" aspect, which is a big thing in DC. A badass look would be with the mask but you could still see his eyes like in "First Flight" and they still glow green like in JL/JLU.
    I prefer John without one. The green irises give him a distinct look and the mask doesn't really make sense. Who is he hiding from?

But I do get why someone would like it from the perspective of classic superhero fashion.

BANNED

I get what you mean about not having to hide his ID, but I just think it adds more distinct facial recognition for the audience because I know they don't always show him with the green eyes, whereas the mask is a constant. Also something I picked up on, is that the trio of Green Lanterns that are usually shown (Hal, Alan, Kyle) all wear masks. It kind of fells like a symbol of status, like it's visually saying they're the "legit/main" ones, considering they were all considered THE Green Lantern at different points in time.

BANNED

I get what you mean about not having to hide his ID, but I just think it adds more distinct facial recognition for the audience because I know they don't always show him with the green eyes, whereas the mask is a constant. Also something I picked up on, is that the trio of Green Lanterns that are usually shown (Hal, Alan, Kyle) all wear masks. It kind of fells like a symbol of status, like it's visually saying they're the "legit/main" ones, considering they were all considered THE Green Lantern at different points in time.
    Yeah, but then wouldn't a mask just make John generic? The logo ties him to the mythology and the lack of mask helps him to stand out. I dislike when artists forget to make his irises green, but when it's done (which feels like 90-95% of the time) he does "pop" visually.

I think the lack of a mask does a good job of representing his pragmatism and makes his costume feel like the uniform of a galactic peacekeeping organization.