Page 53 of 568 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153553 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    Yeah, it's cool, and I like Kanjar's appearance in that. I'm not too fond of the characters Manitou Raven or Major Disaster, but they don't ruin anything for me. There are other characters I would have rather had, though, like Zatanna or, as mentioned earlier, Hawkgirl. Taking a look at this bio...

I'm now kinda' sharing Ray's earlier thoughts about petitioning to get rid of that Xanshi thing. It is something that is constantly hanging over John, and frankly, it's pretty tiring. DC just will not let that go.

I think DC give should give John more intense feats so that when people bring him up, they'll think of the positive things he's done and not about that one incident when he failed to save a planet. I think the best thing they can do is have him be the hero of a major event... and have him live through it, of course. Seriously, it's time DC give one of their PoC characters the spotlight in one of their events, and John is more than fit for that. They're certainly on the right track with what Van Jensen and co. have done, but there are still areas where they can improve John and boost his profile.
    I agree with both you and Anthony Shaw on the Xanshi incident.

The Xanshi incident happened when Superman, Starfire, Martian Manhunter, Batman etc. worked with the New Gods to stop the anti-life aspect. Since upcoming event is going to be featuring both Green Lanterns and New Gods, I think it's a perfect time for Van Jensen and co. to bring the Xanshi incident as a reference so we may see retcons/changes on what really happened when John Stewart tried to track down the anti-life aspect. It's amazing that he's going to fight against a New God. I'm hoping John Stewart is going to become more competent when this event is over.

DC does need to raise PoC character's profile in major events by making them more competent to bring a better equality.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I agree with both you and Anthony Shaw on the Xanshi incident.

The Xanshi incident happened when Superman, Starfire, Martian Manhunter, Batman etc. worked with the New Gods to stop the anti-life aspect. Since upcoming event is going to be featuring both Green Lanterns and New Gods, I think it's a perfect time for Van Jensen and co. to bring the Xanshi incident as a reference so we may see retcons/changes on what really happened when John Stewart tried to track down the anti-life aspect. It's amazing that he's going to fight against a New God. I'm hoping John Stewart is going to become more competent when this event is over.

DC does need to raise PoC character's profile in major events by making them more competent to bring a better equality.
    Yeah, Anthony said in another post I saw concerning Cyborg that it would be nice to be inspired by these characters, and not feel pity for them as we watch their tragic lives unfold. I mean, some tragedy is understandable and even welcome, but in the case of John Stewart and Cyborg -two of DC's most well known Black characters- it's pretty ridiculous.

I never considered "Godhead" being a good opportunity to clean up some of the Xanshi thing, but you're right! Hopefully Van Jensen explores more of what happened there and it's shown to be less of John's fault than it was in Cosmic Odyssey in the old continuity. It should be shown to be a thing that he couldn't avert no matter what. I can accept that, but it being his fault because of a huge mis-characterization of him is really bothersome.

BANNED

Meh the only New God, I want to see is Black Racer. I only like Orion and Black Racer.

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Meh the only New God, I want to see is Black Racer. I only like Orion and Black Racer.
    The New Gods are a very interesting concept, but I've never cared to read about them by themselves. I kinda' like them as Superman characters who show up every so often

Yeah, Anthony said in another post I saw concerning Cyborg that it would be nice to be inspired by these characters, and not feel pity for them as we watch their tragic lives unfold. I mean, some tragedy is understandable and even welcome, but in the case of John Stewart and Cyborg -two of DC's most well known Black characters- it's pretty ridiculous.

I never considered "Godhead" being a good opportunity to clean up some of the Xanshi thing, but you're right! Hopefully Van Jensen explores more of what happened there and it's shown to be less of John's fault than it was in Cosmic Odyssey in the old continuity. It should be shown to be a thing that he couldn't avert no matter what. I can accept that, but it being his fault because of a huge mis-characterization of him is really bothersome.
    The problem for John is that other writers like the page you shown me in the JLA book don't have anything major in his history on his profile, aside from Xanshi. I guess that since he's undeveloped, writers tend to just use the Xanshi incident as a reference, because that's one of the biggest roles of his portrayal in DCU history. Writers like Geoff Johns used John's failure, since that's his notable role and also he doesn't want to further develop him. I think the only way for all of this to change is when Van Jensen makes John more of a competent character in an important event such as Godhead, which can definitely boost up his profile and make history so other writers can use that as a reference in other stories or even team books (if he makes an appearance of course) rather than the Xanshi incident.

PoC characters can definitely be handled much better than they really are. One thing about Grant Morrison he really knows how to make unknown characters really interesting and willing to write on more diverse characters in his books.

Extraordinary Member

This is why I really like the current era of Green Lantern. John is being shown as the experienced, competent leader & hero we always knew him to be.

The whole point as that blasted Xanshi story was to show any GL not named Hal being grossly incompetent.

Like I said with the exception of Jean Grey & Hank Pym, it is rare when mistakes follow a hero, and given DC's tendency to reboot every 10 years, or so, it is beyond belief for this to have followed John this long.

I will only get concerned when the current creative guys leave. Until then, I will enjoy great storytelling starring my favorite GL.

Yeah, I'm hoping that the next creative team doesn't send John right back to moping about Xanshi. That's why he really needs a key role in a huge event. As Sodam pointed out, creators need another reference point for John (it shouldn't HAVE to be that way, but it is). There was Green Lantern: Mosaic, but as I said, the writers/editors like to pretend that never happened. John led the Darkstars for a time, but my understanding is that those stories weren't really about him.

I think that Van Jensen will leave a big enough mark on the character to where what he does won't be able to be overturned easily. And I think he's consciously been working at repairing John Stewart after everything Owsley, Starlin, Marz, Winnick, Johns, and Tomasi put him through. I think Jensen can do it. What Bruce Timm and co. did with John is proof of what a single run can do to for a character, and Van Jensen has been doing REALLY good.
    Last edited by Desh; 08-31-2014 at 04:28 PM.

It also bothers me that John Stewart does not have a character bio at dccomics.com. This, along with other things -like trying to kill him, burying him in the comics, not featuring him in multimedia, and so on- gives me the impression that DC Comics is ashamed of the character (their most popular Black character, mind you), afraid that he'll get more popular, and doesn't want people to know of him.
    Last edited by Desh; 08-31-2014 at 06:31 PM.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

It also bothers me that John Stewart does not have a character bio at dccomics.com. This, along with other things -like trying to kill him, burying him in the comics, not featuring him in multimedia, and so on- gives me the impression that DC Comics is ashamed of the character (their most popular Black character, mind you), afraid that he'll get more popular, and doesn't want people to know of him.
    Wow, I'm surprised by that. Do the other GLs like Guy have character bios at dccomics.com?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Wow, I'm surprised by that. Do the other GLs like Guy have character bios at dccomics.com?
    No. Only Hal Jordan. But I think it's safe to say that John Stewart is a character with a considerably higher profile than the others GL's like Guy. He is the Green Lantern to a lot of people (which is probably the problem DC has with him), and a character that I believe many will actually look for. He is also their most popular Black character, which is something one would think DC might like to celebrate?

I mean, people will look for John before they look for Atrocitus, and lo and behold:
    http://www.dccomics.com/characters/atrocitus

There is a page dedicated to Atrocitus. Something doesn't seem right with this.
    Last edited by Desh; 08-31-2014 at 06:51 PM.

No. Only Hal Jordan. But I think it's safe to say that John Stewart is a character with a considerably higher profile than the others GL's like Guy. He is the Green Lantern to a lot of people (which is probably the problem DC has with him), and a character that I believe many will actually look for. He is also their most popular Black character, which is something one would think DC might like to celebrate?

I mean, people will look for John before they look for Atrocitus, and lo and behold:
    http://www.dccomics.com/characters/atrocitus

There is a page dedicated to Atrocitus. Something doesn't seem right with this.
    That's just...sad and disappointing. If you look at the November solicits for green lantern corps and scroll down to the starring section, it says Sinestro and not John Stewart

Ultimate Member

I think the issue for Dc is they want you to like certain character that THEY choose.

The REALITY is you can't think like that. You showcase certain folks and ignore WAY too many others including John.

You can not be ashamed of this character because he is not where you want him to be. If no one is allowed to then you can not be mad about it.

And HONESTLY who cares of John should get more popular is that a threat to any other character? If it wasn't for guys named Virgil, Stephanie, Tim, John, Jaime or Diana-I wouldn't even bother with this company.

Ultimate Member

That's just...sad and disappointing. If you look at the November solicits for green lantern corps and scroll down to the starring section, it says Sinestro and not John Stewart

ANd honestly that should tell John's days are NUMBERED. Plain and simple.

And as one person told me when talking about another guy DC has WRONGED-"DC must not like MONEY"

You have to understand folks are watching this. You can not expect folks to be upset. If you don't want John as a GL- make him SOMETHING else.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    ANd honestly that should tell John's days are NUMBERED. Plain and simple.
    They already tried and failed to kill John. He's not going anywhere.

You have to understand folks are watching this. You can not expect folks to be upset. If you don't want John as a GL- make him SOMETHING else.
    I would rather not see that. John Stewart is Green Lantern to me (and a lot of others). That's how I like to see him.

I agree with you about this, though.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I think the issue for Dc is they want you to like certain character that THEY choose.

The REALITY is you can't think like that.
    That is true, and it's a dumb way to do business. They need to... you know, do business like business men and not like anal fanboys.

-----

I think we should attempt to do something about DC not even giving John his own character page. Sadly, I don't think stuff like this is going to end until people actually get on DC about it.

Yeah, it is sad. This is the type of thing that makes minorities not want to indulge in their products. In various different ways, they're depicted as auxiliary, secondary, and not as good as the white heroes. Examples being how Cyborg gets little development in Justice League and is the only member of the team without his own title (or genitalia). And this whole thing. Take a look at this passage from the Green Lantern Facebook page:

"Wielding Green Lantern power rings, Hal Jordan and the other Green Lanterns can fly and create constructs made of pure energy."

WTF!? : /
    https://www.facebook.com/greenlantern

DC, this is the type of thing that pushes me away and makes me not like the people who run this stuff :T
    Last edited by Desh; 08-31-2014 at 08:09 PM.