Page 537 of 568 FirstFirst ... 37437487527533534535536537538539540541547 ... LastLast
Results 8,041 to 8,055 of 8518

Idk what they're gonna do with Simon and Jessica. Best case scenario is putting them glc with guy and kyle, while hal gets a book and John gets a book. I understand that dc might not want more than 2 gl books out, but unless they make it a John/Hal duo book, then they gotta have 3 gl books. I don't want them to go back to the early to mid 2000s era where all the other justice leaguers and lanterns had their own books while john had nothing. It wouldn't be a smart move on their part considering the upcoming movie.

If so, he wouldn't be the only one. Martian Manhunter and Hawkgirl don't have solo titles either. Though I doubt he won't be part of any Green Lantern book.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    If so, he wouldn't be the only one. Martian Manhunter and Hawkgirl don't have solo titles either. Though I doubt he won't be part of any Green Lantern book.
    True, but this is Green Lantern we're talking about. Those other two don't have nearly as high a profile despite being great characters when used properly.(Preface: I'm not saying you hold these views, these are my independent statements) Hal had his own solo book when he was on the team, same with Kyle, Simon, and Jessica. There's no reason John shouldn't have his own book considering he's GL, one of the 6 popular members of the team / dc universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    True, but this is Green Lantern we're talking about. Those other two don't have nearly as high a profile despite being great characters when used properly.(Preface: I'm not saying you hold these views, these are my independent statements) Hal had his own solo book when he was on the team, same with Kyle, Simon, and Jessica. There's no reason John shouldn't have his own book considering he's GL, one of the 6 popular members of the team / dc universe.
    Absolutely, just pointing out he wouldn't have been the only one to not have a book. And to be fair, I'm not sure how much longer Cyborg's book is going to be around for as well.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-22-2018 at 01:17 PM.

Idk what they're gonna do with Simon and Jessica. Best case scenario is putting them glc with guy and kyle, while hal gets a book and John gets a book. I understand that dc might not want more than 2 gl books out, but unless they make it a John/Hal duo book, then they gotta have 3 gl books. I don't want them to go back to the early to mid 2000s era where all the other justice leaguers and lanterns had their own books while john had nothing. It wouldn't be a smart move on their part considering the upcoming movie.
    I suspect that they may be regulating Jessica to the Justice League Odyssey series, since most of that cast seems to consist of people who don't have their own books.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I suspect that they may be regulating Jessica to the Justice League Odyssey series, since most of that cast seems to consist of people who don't have their own books.
    Yeah, if Green Lanterns doesn't continue as is then I expect Jessica will have JLO as a home, and then that leaves John in Justice League, Hal in his solo, and potentially everyone else in a relaunched/rebranded GLC book.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I need this attitude of John back.
    I am strongly hoping the movie brings back his more rebellious side. Especially if they're going for an older Hal and a younger John.

I think I'll disagree, the strict mentor/rebellious student dynamic has been done to death. Let's see the opposite. For once the "student" could be the one wondering why the "mentor" doesn't take his job as seriously as he should.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-22-2018 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I think I'll disagree, the strict mentor/rebellious student dynamic has been done to death. Let's see the opposite. For once the "student" could be the one wondering why the "mentor" doesn't take his job as seriously as he should.
    It's not that I disagree with the dynamic being tired, but I think John's more classic characterization has potential to be far more interesting onscreen. I would say especially in the current political climate, a John who is somewhat reluctant to be part of an institution like the Green Lantern Corps because of his own experience with authority figures has a lot of interesting potential.

Ultimate Member

You DO know what company you are talking about.

When has being smart with black characters ever work for DC?

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    It's not that I disagree with the dynamic being tired, but I think John's more classic characterization has potential to be far more interesting onscreen. I would say especially in the current political climate, a John who is somewhat reluctant to be part of an institution like the Green Lantern Corps because of his own experience with authority figures has a lot of interesting potential.

It would be kind of interesting to see them go back to John's older characterization since I think the most popular take on John is his DCAU portrayal, where he was generally level-headed and straightforward hero, which is why he bounced off Wally so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It would be kind of interesting to see them go back to John's older characterization since I think the most popular take on John is his DCAU portrayal, where he was generally level-headed and straightforward hero, which is why he bounced off Wally so well.
    I think John's older characterization had to do with a guy, who has a chip on his shoulder, due to racism. He's always been more outspoken and doesn't give a damn, which is another reason why I like the character. Scott Snyder also said he wanted John to be on the team, because his personality fits so well with the team. John is looked upon as a heavy thinker by Snyder, so that could pretty much help his contribution to dealing with the multiverse and the source wall.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Even DCAU John was anti-authoritarian and not afraid to stand up for himself or others.

While I don't think it should be the central tenet of his character, I think he should be socially conscious. That aspect of him lends him a certain charm and shows that GLs are expected to be more than just warriors. They're diplomats and peacekeepers too. I could imagine John at the center of a short story like this one in a GL annual:

"Judgment Day"
    Gaines waged a number of battles with the Comics Code Authority in an attempt to keep his magazines free from censorship. In one particular example noted by comics historian Digby Diehl, Gaines threatened Judge Charles Murphy, the Comics Code Administrator, with a lawsuit when Murphy ordered EC to alter the science-fiction story "Judgment Day", in Incredible Science Fiction #33 (Feb. 1956).[15] The story, by writer Al Feldstein and artist Joe Orlando, was a reprint from the pre-Code Weird Fantasy #18 (April 1953), inserted when the Code Authority had rejected an initial, original story, "An Eye For an Eye", drawn by Angelo Torres,[16] but was itself also "objected to" because of "the central character being black".[17]

The story depicted a human astronaut, a representative of the Galactic Republic, visiting the planet Cybrinia inhabited by robots. He finds the robots divided into functionally identical orange and blue races, one of which has fewer rights and privileges than the other. The astronaut decides that due to the robots' bigotry, the Galactic Republic should not admit the planet. In the final panel, he removes his helmet, revealing himself to be a black man.[15] Murphy demanded, without any authority in the Code, that the black astronaut had to be removed.

As Diehl recounted in Tales from the Crypt: The Official Archives:

This really made 'em go bananas in the Code czar's office. 'Judge Murphy was off his nut. He was really out to get us', recalls [EC editor] Feldstein. 'I went in there with this story and Murphy says, "It can't be a Black man". But ... but that's the whole point of the story!' Feldstein sputtered. When Murphy continued to insist that the Black man had to go, Feldstein put it on the line. 'Listen', he told Murphy, 'you've been riding us and making it impossible to put out anything at all because you guys just want us out of business'. [Feldstein] reported the results of his audience with the czar to Gaines, who was furious [and] immediately picked up the phone and called Murphy. 'This is ridiculous!' he bellowed. 'I'm going to call a press conference on this. You have no grounds, no basis, to do this. I'll sue you'. Murphy made what he surely thought was a gracious concession. 'All right. Just take off the beads of sweat'. At that, Gaines and Feldstein both went ballistic. 'Fuck you!' they shouted into the telephone in unison. Murphy hung up on them, but the story ran in its original form.[18]
    Feldstein, interviewed for the book Tales of Terror: The EC Companion, reiterated his recollection of Murphy making the request:

So he said it can't be a Black [person]. So I said, 'For God's sakes, Judge Murphy, that's the whole point of the Goddamn story!' So he said, 'No, it can't be a Black'. Bill [Gaines] just called him up [later] and raised the roof, and finally they said, 'Well, you gotta take the perspiration off'. I had the stars glistening in the perspiration on his Black skin. Bill said, 'Fuck you', and he hung up.[19]
    Although the story would eventually be reprinted uncensored in Incredible Science Fiction #33, that comic book was the last EC published.[18]

Jensen found a way to balance the different elements of John's character well. He made John socially conscious without making his race his only characteristic.

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 05-22-2018 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Even DCAU John was anti-authoritarian and not afraid to stand up for himself or others.

While I don't think it should be the central tenet of his character, I think he should be socially conscious. That aspect of him lends him a certain charm and shows that GLs are expected to be more than just warriors. They're diplomats and peacekeepers too. I could imagine John at the center of a short story like this one in a GL annual:

Jensen found a way to balance the different elements of John's character well.
    Even though John Stewart and Shayera having their differences, he still has respect for her and not afraid to speak up for himself and others, despite the backlash from the community. And you're right John should definitely be socially conscious. Scott Snyder said in an interview that there's going to be romance going on in the Justice League. I really really really hope that romance would involve John and Hawkgirl.

BANNED

His social consciousness is tied to his intelligence.