Page 61 of 568 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161561 ... LastLast

Well, we'll see what happens. Even if Baz gets chosen and Hal Jordan is left out of the League, that is telling as to what WB's larger plans are with Green Lantern. I doubt Baz will ever be adapted into anything at a notable level, and if Hal Jordan is STILL being kept out of the League, then it's likely due to a WB mandate, which suggests that they are planning to adapt John Stewart in some large way.

If WB gets more behind John Stewart, I'm not sure what that would mean for Hal Jordan. Typically speaking, Hal Jordan isn't a character to slip quietly in the background. Usually, when they've changed their focus to another Green Lantern, they've done it in some large, stunning way. In the 80s Hal Jordan gave up being a Green Lantern altogether, and in the 90s he became a super villain. In the 2000s cartoons he just... more or less didn't exist, except for being a part of a momentary anomaly. I think it's believable that they could shift their primary focus to John Stewart, though, considering there are numerous great reasons to feature John in films, and the cinematic projects certainly take precedence over the comics. Actually, if it weren't for people like DiDio and Johns, I'd say there would probably no issue as to whether or not John would be used, because it's just that much of a common sense thing to do, considering the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    I'm getting a feeling we might, MIGHT see John Stewart in the Justice League. Geoff Johns did a recent interview and here is an excerpt:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/...e-darkseid-war

The cryptic way in which he says this leads me to believe it won't be Hal Jordan. That leaves either Simon Baz and John Stewart.
    Or Jessica Cruz, aka Power Ring, who is at the center of the current JL storyline.

She is already a member of the Justice League, and she's not a Green Lantern.

Technically no, but she has the same powerset and look and would fulfill the same role. I don't see the point of Power Ring and a Green Lantern in the league at the same time.

Chances are she'd eventually leave the League. I doubt this roster with Lex Luthor et al is going to stick around.

Astonishing Member

i doubt WB was ever going to not pick john for the JL movie after GL flopped, especially after avengers, if only for cynical reasons (three guesses what reason that is). the scattered nature of DC's adaptations (filmverse, fox, ABC, NBC, TNT, CN, Games etc.) may result in multiple versions of john and hal appearing, hopefully more john.

how hal exits is largely down to johns i suspect, but his days are numbered.

and (through volthoom) she's more tied to the darkseid v anti-monitor thing in johns eternal quest to write COIE fanfic (seriosuly, what is it with him and crisis?)
    odds are when the story's over, jessica loses the cursed ring and gains a GL ring (swaps with hal?) and goes off to corps with simon

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    and (through volthoom) she's more tied to the darkseid v anti-monitor thing in johns eternal quest to write COIE fanfic (seriosuly, what is it with him and crisis?)
    odds are when the story's over, jessica loses the cursed ring and gains a GL ring (swaps with hal?) and goes off to corps with simon
    Ughh more Lanterns >___<
    2814 is so crowded with them. I hope that she's not inducted into the Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    how hal exits is largely down to johns i suspect, but his days are numbered.
    Wishful thinking on your part?

When Hal was actually gone for a decade, it wasn't John that became the main Lantern. DC created Kyle Rayner. And at this point, I don't think Hal is going anywhere again any time soon. Not after all the work that was undertaken to make the character viable again and not after 9 years as one of DC's more successful franchises. One movie that didn't live up to expectations isn't going to finish Hal off. If nothing else, we've seen several of DC's animated features since the movie that feature Hal, with another on the way.

I don't see John as the primary Lantern ever again. He had his time to shine for four seasons of Justice League, but DC has moved on. I do enjoy seeing him as a strong member of the Green Lantern ensemble of characters, and I'm fine with that.

edit: I was trying to scan my old Mosaic poster in pieces and reassemble it, but it's not working well. Here's a panel that looks pretty good though. I added some lighting effects to the ring energy.

photo hosting
    Last edited by andersonh1; 09-12-2014 at 04:24 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Obviously, I will keep my eyes peeled on the GL saga. I am not sure how this John/Hal/Johns thing will resolve itself.

I think their is room for everyone.

I think the future is pretty darn bright for John Stewart.

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    When Hal was actually gone for a decade, it wasn't John that became the main Lantern. DC created Kyle Rayner.
    A statement like that seems like it doesn't really take in the current or big picture, which is something DC has also made the mistake of doing at times. What you're referring to was done during a time before countless amounts of people were familiar with John Stewart as Green Lantern from television. That's kinda' a game changer there.

And at this point, I don't think Hal is going anywhere again any time soon. Not after all the work that was undertaken to make the character viable again and not after 9 years as one of DC's more successful franchises. One movie that didn't live up to expectations isn't going to finish Hal off.

I don't see John as the primary Lantern ever again. He had his time to shine for four seasons of Justice League, but DC has moved on. I do enjoy seeing him as a strong member of the Green Lantern ensemble of characters, and I'm fine with that.
    Again, it would be wise to look beyond comic books, because that's not where the real money is for WB, which is the entity that's ultimately in charge here. If they want to use Green Lantern in film again, they have many great reasons to use John Stewart. Everybody knows that. I'm sure they do, too. If John is the Lantern used in film, then DC Comics will probably be mandated to have that sync up in their comics, whether they like that or not.

I mean, a more or less unknown, unproven character doesn't have a 215 million dollar bomb (including an expensive cancelled cartoon, and a bunch of merchandise stores refused to stock) that's critically panned and walk away from that unscathed just because a niche group of people enjoyed literature about him. Especially when there is another character that many other people were expecting to see in the role instead.
    Last edited by Desh; 09-12-2014 at 06:48 PM.

I got around to reviewing the latest Green Lantern Corps issue:
    http://greenlantern.co/review/green-...-end-1-review/

I read it over again since I initially posted my thoughts in this thread, and I think more fondly of it now, but it's nowhere near what I'd call a favorite.

Also, for good measure:

^Loving the pictures. I think Warhawk should have a better costume design, but it's certainly not a bad design by any means. Imagine if Hawkgirl made an appearance in the N52 and John Stewart becomes her love interest. I think a Hawkgirl/Green Lantern comic can definitely work if done right.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    ^Loving the pictures. I think Warhawk should have a better costume design, but it's certainly not a bad design by any means. Imagine if Hawkgirl made an appearance in the N52 and John Stewart becomes her love interest. I think a Hawkgirl/Green Lantern comic can definitely work if done right.
    Hawkgirl and Green Lantern is one of the best love stories of any DC romance there has been. Actually, it's my personal favorite, by a long shot. DC Comics is REALLY stupid to ignore that romance. If they want to interest a demographic they often have trouble interesting (girls), then bringing that into the comics would help. It's a famous romance that's already established to be very popular with many of them (and with males, too). I'm positive many shippers who ignore their comics would have a look if DC Comics actually featured a romance they're deeply invested in.

Step one would be introducing the Shayera that everyone knows back into their comics, with the characterization most of her fans are familiar with from JL/JLU. It's an absolute crime that hasn't been done yet. Even to this very day, years and years later...

That is, without a doubt, the most famous and successful incarnation of Hawkgirl there has been. What in the world is DC thinking!?!?
    Last edited by Desh; 09-15-2014 at 10:22 AM.

Hawkgirl and Green Lantern is one of the best love stories of any DC romance there has been. Actually, it's my personal favorite, by a long shot. DC Comics is REALLY stupid to ignore that romance. If they want to interest a demographic they often have trouble interesting (girls), then bringing that into the comics would help. It's a famous romance that's already established to be very popular with many of them (and with males, too). I'm positive many shippers who ignore their comics would have a look if DC Comics actually featured a romance they're deeply invested in.

Step one would be introducing the Shayera that everyone knows back into their comics, with the characterization most of her fans are familiar with from JL/JLU. It's an absolute crime that hasn't been done yet. Even to this very day, years and years later...

That is, without a doubt, the most famous and successful incarnation of Hawkgirl there has been. What in the world is DC thinking!?!?
    I agree. There's lots of Youtube videos that features their romance, which received so many viewers online. DC should already know that their romance is quite popular for casuals. I don't see why DC is overlooking this, which is sad really.

I can see John and Shayera having their solo comic together. What kind of setting would you like to see if they made a solo title as far as being in space, Earth etc?