Page 7 of 568 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107507 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes View Post
    I just wanted to ask. Believe me it's not starting anything. Me and my brother both LOVE Green Lantern. Mines is Hal and his is John. We even have the same Green Lantern rings. I am a John fan as well and my brother liking Hal. I should him some of the posts on this site and he was wondering why it seems there is so much hate between John Stewart and Hal Jordan fans.
    I am not a Hal fan because he is one of those bland heroes created when DC needed non-controversial characters to help put the fallout from the Seduction of the Innocent book behind them. DC has added to the mythology of the Silver Age characters over the years and made some of them very interesting like Barry Allen. Hal has just stayed very bland and uninteresting in my mind. I do not hate the character. I just don’t find him compelling. He will always has a place in my collection because I am a fan of the concept of the GLC.

The animosity between Hal and John fans is probably caused by fans wanting what they believe is the best for their character. Hal fans want him to remain the main GL and always be considered the best GL. John fans want more exposure for him and for him to be recognized as the great character he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rey Leopard View Post
    I am not a Hal fan because he is one of those bland heroes created when DC needed non-controversial characters to help put the fallout from the Seduction of the Innocent book behind them. DC has added to the mythology of the Silver Age characters over the years and made some of them very interesting like Barry Allen. Hal has just stayed very bland and uninteresting in my mind. I do not hate the character. I just don’t find him compelling. He will always has a place in my collection because I am a fan of the concept of the GLC.

The animosity between Hal and John fans is probably caused by fans wanting what they believe is the best for their character. Hal fans want him to remain the main GL and always be considered the best GL. John fans want more exposure for him and for him to be recognized as the great character he is.
    Thanks for the answer. I find some characters boring as well, but Hal isn't one of them. I just think all the earth lanterns bring something interesting to the table and that's why alot of people have them as there favorite characters. Also would you happen to remember were you got the John Stewart Figure and stand? I'd really like to get it for my brother.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    Because casual people watch cartoons and don't read comics. Hal Jordan has a cartoon show, but it bit the dust after a mere one season. It's really a speck of dust on the rear end of the Justice League cartoon show, which is one of the most highly lauded cartoons of the last ten years. And even ever.

Seeing as how so many people watch cartoons, it can really be anything. JL/JLU still comes on a major network during a kids programming block. Kids still watch that show, and adults still greatly appreciate it, and many people have grown up with it.

I'm not a Hal Jordan fan. I'm just not. I'm a different type of thing. Something else. So I don't count myself among those people. I don't want what they want, and I don't like what they like, so by those standards, we're not the same. It just is what it is.

It can and it does. We're talking about the casual audience, which as the Green Lantern movie proves, or any movies, that's really the only audience that matters. If you can't get that audience, you're sunk. Not only does it break characters, it also makes them. Case in point: Iron Man. Hal Jordan can have the most devout hardcore fanbase in the world, but if no one else cares (and they don't, really), it doesn't mean anything on any large scale. Conversely, John Stewart has a casual audience and fanbase.
    I can see some of your points. I don't see how John has more casual fans as with alot of things like t shirts and figures that Hal has and are sold. I think your basing alot on a cartoon and I don't see proof of what you said, but we are each entitled to our own opinion. Whne I saw separate I mean that we don't have to bash each other personally. We all love comics are we wouldn't be on this website. Again though I want to thank you for your honest answer and talking with me about the subject. That's what's cool about being on here and talking. Now we can get back or if anyone else wants to comment the subject that were are talking about, but let's come back to talking about the awesomeness of John Stewart.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

I can see some of your points. I don't see how John has more casual fans as with alot of things like t shirts and figures that Hal has and are sold. I think your basing alot on a cartoon and I don't see proof of what you said, but we are each entitled to our own opinion.
    A cartoon is enough to base it off of. What should we base it off of? Why is He-Man, G.I. Joe, Ninja Turtles, and Transformers so popular? Ultimately, cartoon shows. Should we base it off of comic books? If so, that's where you and your type of people are wrong. Sorry, but those aren't very relevant to most people, as we've pointed out.

And I do have proof, though. I know of all the merchandise that retailers stocked in their stores that are Hal Jordan centric, and which have nothing to do with John Stewart, which sat there and did not sell. I know that retailers refused to stock other Hal Jordan centric merchandise. I know that the Justice League toyline stopped production in about 2011 or 2012 when the cartoon show stopped airing new episodes in 2006. The only way that could have happened is if those things were selling like crazy. This is just the way it is. I'm not making this up. I know fans of the Hal Jordan character may not like to hear this, but it's a reality.

Whne I saw separate I mean that we don't have to bash each other personally. We all love comics are we wouldn't be on this website. Again though I want to thank you for your honest answer and talking with me about the subject. That's what's cool about being on here and talking. Now we can get back or if anyone else wants to comment the subject that were are talking about, but let's come back to talking about the awesomeness of John Stewart.
    I do not bash anyone, or bully them, or tell them who or what they should like. Whether they like me or not, I really don't care. What I said above is just the way things are. If people get upset by that, I believe the fault rests with them. They do not like accepting the reality of the situation.
    Last edited by Desh; 05-18-2014 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    A cartoon is enough to base it off of. What should we base it off of? Why is He-Man, G.I. Joe, Ninja Turtles, and Transformers so popular? Ultimately, cartoon shows. Should we base it off of comic books? If so, that's where you and your type of people are wrong. Sorry, but those aren't very relevant to most people, as we've pointed out.

And I do have proof, though. I know of all the merchandise that retailers stocked in their stores that are Hal Jordan centric, and which have nothing to do with John Stewart, which sat there and did not sell. I know that retailers refused to stock other Hal Jordan centric merchandise. I know that the Justice League toyline stopped production in about 2011 or 2012 when the cartoon show stopped airing new episodes in 2006. The only way that could have happened is if those things were selling like crazy. This is just the way it is. I'm not making this up. I know fans of the Hal Jordan character may not like to hear this, but it's a reality.
    So you are saying the retaliers refused to stock Hal Jordan merchandise? I know the toy line didn't do well, but I see his shirts in every Wal Mart I go to. Can you show me were it was stated that reatliers refused to put Hal merch up and how many? Cartoons have impact yes, but I don't see how you can say most casual fans know John over Hal? Again I'm just asking. I don't see how you can speak for casual fans as if it's fact. There is no definitive proof I'm sorry if I derailed the thread. I just wanted to ask in both characters appreciation so know one could come in and bash either character.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 05-18-2014 at 11:02 AM.

So it seems that John's chance have greatly declined with Cyborg being cast? I hope that's not the case

Thanks for the answer. I find some characters boring as well, but Hal isn't one of them. I just think all the earth lanterns bring something interesting to the table and that's why alot of people have them as there favorite characters. Also would you happen to remember were you got the John Stewart Figure and stand? I'd really like to get it for my brother.
    I purchased the figure at a store here in New York City called CHAMELEON COMICS & CARDS. That was years ago. They may no longer have the figure in stock. There website is:

http://chameleoncomics.com/

Good luck with obtaining the item.

Quote Originally Posted by Rey Leopard View Post
    I purchased the figure at a store here in New York City called CHAMELEON COMICS & CARDS. That was years ago. They may no longer have the figure in stock. There website is:

http://chameleoncomics.com/

Good luck with obtaining the item.
    Thanks for the info. If I can't find it there maybe ebay will have it.

Spectacular Member ParticleFreezer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daredevil is Legend View Post
    So it seems that John's chance have greatly declined with Cyborg being cast? I hope that's not the case
    ::in uncle rawkus voice:

I hope it izzzz the case. Allblacks in this film should be deformed, castrated, 3/5ths human, and shackle plated just like Vic Stone is.

Quote Originally Posted by ParticleFreezer View Post

I hope it izzzz the case. Allblacks in this film should be deformed, castrated, 3/5ths human, and shackle plated just like Vic Stone is.
    WaveHeater is that you!?
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    WaveHeater is that you!?
    I think that is him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I think that is him.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

So you are saying the retaliers refused to stock Hal Jordan merchandise? I know the toy line didn't do well, but I see his shirts in every Wal Mart I go to. Can you show me were it was stated that reatliers refused to put Hal merch up and how many? Cartoons have impact yes, but I don't see how you can say most casual fans know John over Hal? Again I'm just asking. I don't see how you can speak for casual fans as if it's fact. There is no definitive proof I'm sorry if I derailed the thread. I just wanted to ask in both characters appreciation so know one could come in and bash either character.
    A lot of what you are asking was answered in my reply to you. Besides you are asking Desh for numbers while you yourself only have 'Well, I see a lot of Hal Jordan merch at this store'? That's not going to fly, my friend.

When the GL movie came out, a contingent of non-comic book fans made a storm thinking they whitewashed John Stewart. Like I said, comic book fans knew what was going on but the fact that the non-comic book fans were going 'Marvel made Green Lantern a white guy!' shows there is a casual mainstream fan base for John Stewart.

The day someone does a survey of how much mainstream audiences are aware of Hal Jordan or somebody makes a GL movie and there is a shirt storm of non-comic book fans going 'where the hell is Hal Jordan? Where is the Guardians of the Galaxy?' then we will know how much non-comic book fans know of Hal Jordan.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ParticleFreezer View Post

Nope, Amanda Waller will be skinny and hot with a vivacious personality

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    A lot of what you are asking was answered in my reply to you. Besides you are asking Desh for numbers while you yourself only have 'Well, I see a lot of Hal Jordan merch at this store'? That's not going to fly, my friend.

When the GL movie came out, a contingent of non-comic book fans made a storm thinking they whitewashed John Stewart. Like I said, comic book fans knew what was going on but the fact that the non-comic book fans were going 'Marvel made Green Lantern a white guy!' shows there is a casual mainstream fan base for John Stewart.

The day someone does a survey of how much mainstream audiences are aware of Hal Jordan or somebody makes a GL movie and there is a shirt storm of non-comic book fans going 'where the hell is Hal Jordan? Where is the Guardians of the Galaxy?' then we will know how much non-comic book fans know of Hal Jordan.

That's what I'm saying. I'm only going by what I saw in stores. That's not facts. That's my point. I don't know how anyone could say that as a fact that Stewart has a bigger casual fanbase then Hal, but I asked as it was being stated as it was. Now again I thank everyone for answering the question. Also I know John has a casual fanbase. I really love the character of John and don't want to derail the thread any further. I put it here so people that hate on John couldn't come in as it is an Appreciation thread. (Which believe you me I'm thankful for as it used to happen alot before the reboot.)
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 05-19-2014 at 07:01 AM.