Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 68

Thread: Quasar love...

  1. #46
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    Eon's dead. And didn't make them in the first place, s/he just found them hirself. [Which is why Mar-Vell didn't get them when Eon recruited him as PotU, and neither did Gravity when Eon's child/successor Epoch attempted to recruit him. In both cases, they didn't have access to the bands.]
    I'm not sure that's correct - I thought Eon claimed that s/he created them for the Protector of the Universe. I've always been led to believe the QBs are potentially the most, or one of the most, powerful weapons in the entire universe. Fabricating them would seem to be a very difficult thing to do, since it remains a mystery as to where the baubles in them come from originally. When Eon didn't have them for Captain Marvel it was because they were "lost" on Uranus. We know that there are Quasars in other universes, including the Cancerverse, and we've never seen more than one in any of those universes, so I suspect only "one" can be made for the job from scratch.

    Good point, however, that maybe Thanos's "fake" ones might have supplied useable Bands to the Universe. I hadn't thought of that. Also, I agree, it never made sense that Wendell "gave" something that he couldn't take off without losing his arms!
    Last edited by Quasar's Bands; 06-06-2019 at 11:47 AM.

  2. #47
    Ultimate Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    18,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Heh.

    Guardians annual spoiler.

    [SPOILER]So Wendell finds out Avril is alive and sets out to look for her.[/SPOILER]
    The tag is just spoil, not spoiler.

  3. #48
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    44,539

    Default

    Can someone explain to me why people care about Avril? I mean, I get the love for more representation and all that but there really didn't seem to be much to the character beyond that and replacing Wendell.

  4. #49
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Can someone explain to me why people care about Avril? I mean, I get the love for more representation and all that but there really didn't seem to be much to the character beyond that and replacing Wendell.
    I think people just saw potential in her, if she were given a chance to develop more. We met her first as an experienced SHIELD agent who was able to help the heroes even without powers, and then we saw her striving to learn how to properly control the great powers that had been given to her.

    I think the fact that Wendell was still in the picture, helping to mentor her, also helped some of us to accept her better. I am a fan of Wendell as Quasar and didn't really see the point of replacing him again (especially since he had already been replaced with a gay woman once already - it just seemed an odd coincidence to do it again), but the fact that he was still making on-panel appearances as her mentor and hadn't just been killed off or shunted entirely aside made me feel better about the situation and be able to appreciate Avril for who she was rather than just resent her replacing a character I like.

  5. #50
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    8,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Can someone explain to me why people care about Avril? I mean, I get the love for more representation and all that but there really didn't seem to be much to the character beyond that and replacing Wendell.
    us morning glories stans are extremely desperate for more snarky spencer girls and we're enduring a content drought, thank god for janice

  6. #51
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    44,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I think people just saw potential in her, if she were given a chance to develop more. We met her first as an experienced SHIELD agent who was able to help the heroes even without powers, and then we saw her striving to learn how to properly control the great powers that had been given to her.

    I think the fact that Wendell was still in the picture, helping to mentor her, also helped some of us to accept her better. I am a fan of Wendell as Quasar and didn't really see the point of replacing him again (especially since he had already been replaced with a gay woman once already - it just seemed an odd coincidence to do it again), but the fact that he was still making on-panel appearances as her mentor and hadn't just been killed off or shunted entirely aside made me feel better about the situation and be able to appreciate Avril for who she was rather than just resent her replacing a character I like.
    I get that. It's just...I dunno, just saying a character has potential for more isn't enough to get me really invested in them if that's all there is to them, but that's just me.

    Didn't seem like they really did much with Wendell being involved with her before they took her out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    us morning glories stans are extremely desperate for more snarky spencer girls and we're enduring a content drought, thank god for janice
    Yeah, but Spencer writes 90% of all his characters as snarky. It's not a unique character trait .

  7. #52
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I get that. It's just...I dunno, just saying a character has potential for more isn't enough to get me really invested in them if that's all there is to them, but that's just me.
    Its true we didn't get to see a lot of her, so its hard to really explain what exactly it is that appealed. I guess it was just little moments, here and there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Didn't seem like they really did much with Wendell being involved with her before they took her out.
    Not a lot, no, but he still made a few appearances where he was shown coaching and training her. Its more than he was getting anywhere else since the end of Abnett and Lanning's ANNIHILATORS miniseries. I think he'd had a brief cameo in Starlin's HULK VS THANOS miniseries, and that was it.

    The weird thing about Avril's "death" was that it came out of nowhere. No where in the main SECRET EMPIRE book did it say (or even imply) that she'd been killed. It was only in Margaret Stohl's CAPTAIN MARVEL tie-in issues where Avril is suddenly declared to have been killed in action...but even in that book we're not given any evidence of her death or told why she is believed to have been killed. It was weird.

  8. #53
    Benefactor / Malefactor H-E-D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    us morning glories stans are extremely desperate for more snarky spencer girls and we're enduring a content drought, thank god for janice
    Man, is that book still going? I remember being interested at first but after a while it just seemed like it was going nowhere fast. Art was great though.

  9. #54
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Can someone explain to me why people care about Avril? I mean, I get the love for more representation and all that but there really didn't seem to be much to the character beyond that and replacing Wendell.
    There is a current wave of interest in expanding the diversity of characters. Thus, blond midwestern male SHIELD agents aren't as exciting to some as a lesbian female SHIELD agent. It's just what it is, so that honestly seems to be the reason behind the interest, because they really never developed her - and in fact, she was manipulated by Hydra Cap pretty badly, so she was not shown in the best of light in her single storyline. I never thought Phyla was treated very well when she was acting as Quasar, either, but you know how people were attracted to the sword, outfit, and attitude, and again, the diversity. What is painful is that Wendell has a pretty strong fanbase that like the powers, costume, attitude, optimism, and overall "Captain America of Space" vibe, and there is zero reason to "replace" that, as they've clearly tried to do twice. How about merely EXPANDING the Quantum Band universe to a few characters? Let Avril have her OWN identity - not as Quasar, but as "Quantum" or something. Let Quasar be Quasar and Avril be her own character, you know? Why must female characters like Captain Marvel or She-Hulk have to always inherit initial male hero names? At least Spectrum and Invisible Woman and Storm are all unique.

  10. #55
    Astonishing Member Nomads1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro/Brazil
    Posts
    2,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quasar's Bands View Post
    There is a current wave of interest in expanding the diversity of characters. Thus, blond midwestern male SHIELD agents aren't as exciting to some as a lesbian female SHIELD agent. It's just what it is, so that honestly seems to be the reason behind the interest, because they really never developed her - and in fact, she was manipulated by Hydra Cap pretty badly, so she was not shown in the best of light in her single storyline. I never thought Phyla was treated very well when she was acting as Quasar, either, but you know how people were attracted to the sword, outfit, and attitude, and again, the diversity. What is painful is that Wendell has a pretty strong fanbase that like the powers, costume, attitude, optimism, and overall "Captain America of Space" vibe, and there is zero reason to "replace" that, as they've clearly tried to do twice. How about merely EXPANDING the Quantum Band universe to a few characters? Let Avril have her OWN identity - not as Quasar, but as "Quantum" or something. Let Quasar be Quasar and Avril be her own character, you know? Why must female characters like Captain Marvel or She-Hulk have to always inherit initial male hero names? At least Spectrum and Invisible Woman and Storm are all unique.
    Martyr was actually my favorite incarnation of Phyla-Vell. I prefer diversity when it's accompanied by originality.

    Peace

  11. #56
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Martyr was actually my favorite incarnation of Phyla-Vell. I prefer diversity when it's accompanied by originality.

    Peace
    Exactly. Now, that being said, I'm excited about Jane Foster as the new Valkyrie because she was GREAT as Thor. I think all this "which Quasar" thing has gone on far too long. Let Wendell be Quasar. Let Avril take her own identity with her set of bands as "Pulsar." Maybe another set of bands can be made and we can see other humans of diverse backgrounds use them as "Ion" or "Andromeda." We could have a whole series of Band-using Heroes with space-related names!

  12. #57
    Invincible Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I think people just saw potential in her, if she were given a chance to develop more. We met her first as an experienced SHIELD agent who was able to help the heroes even without powers, and then we saw her striving to learn how to properly control the great powers that had been given to her.

    I think the fact that Wendell was still in the picture, helping to mentor her, also helped some of us to accept her better. I am a fan of Wendell as Quasar and didn't really see the point of replacing him again (especially since he had already been replaced with a gay woman once already - it just seemed an odd coincidence to do it again), but the fact that he was still making on-panel appearances as her mentor and hadn't just been killed off or shunted entirely aside made me feel better about the situation and be able to appreciate Avril for who she was rather than just resent her replacing a character I like.
    It is funny that a pattern is being established there. Wendel is replaced by a gay woman... but it does NOT turn out well in the end.

    I think if/when we get another gay woman being offered the quantom bands, she should give it a hard pass if she knows whats good for her.

  13. #58
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It is funny that a pattern is being established there. Wendel is replaced by a gay woman... but it does NOT turn out well in the end.

    I think if/when we get another gay woman being offered the quantom bands, she should give it a hard pass if she knows whats good for her.
    I remember hearing a story (definitely may not be true) years ago that Gruenwald actually wanted to make Wendell essentially Pan/All sexual. We all saw he was smitten with Kayla in the beginning, certainly, and we all saw that "Her/Kismet" really wanted to get with him (and they DID in one timeline, with "Starhawk" the child of their union), but he was heading out to space and encountering a lot of people from a lot of alien races of presumably more than one gender. The concept was that along the way he would find individuals/aliens attractive and frolic with them, no matter their color, race, origin, gender, etc. It was an interesting concept, and the "Demi Moore" inspired cover with him pregnant was a creative nod to the idea that it could be interesting to mix up gender roles with his character if given a chance. However, if that story is true, I was told Marvel in the end told Gruenwald that they didn't think that was an idea they wanted to pursue at the time. That is essentially Daken Akihiro's character now (Wolverine's son), BUT Daken is portrayed as highly sexual and a "bad boy," part-time villain. On the other hand, Quasar is the Captain America of space - he follows the rules and always tries to the do the right thing. Now, what if the "right thing" in defending a culture on another planet was sleeping with a gender-neutral or male/female alien through a ritual to gain the trust of a civilization and save it? Heck, what if he fell in love with the female of an alien species, and she really DID impregnate him in accordance with her alien race's ways as portrayed on that cover so many years ago? You just know that he would take the pregnancy to full term, so that would make for a REALLY interesting spin on the gender roles in Marvel I don't think that has ever done before.
    Last edited by Quasar's Bands; 07-17-2019 at 10:25 AM.

  14. #59
    Astonishing Member JudicatorPrime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Cosmic Shores of the Pacific
    Posts
    4,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It is funny that a pattern is being established there. Wendel is replaced by a gay woman... but it does NOT turn out well in the end.

    I think if/when we get another gay woman being offered the quantom bands, she should give it a hard pass if she knows whats good for her.
    Well, that's a little like Monica Rambeau losing her names twice, isn't it? Or was it three times? Hell, I lost count.

  15. #60
    Invincible Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Well, that's a little like Monica Rambeau losing her names twice, isn't it? Or was it three times? Hell, I lost count.
    Monica and Wendel do have have that in common... they've had their names taken by a member of the Vell family. Considering Teddy pulled the same stunt with his Hulking name, I'd say stealing names basically runs in the family. I'll wager DC comics would even apply that to Marv.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •