Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Quasar love...

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar's Bands View Post
    How about merely EXPANDING the Quantum Band universe to a few characters?
    I've wanted this since Mar-Vell and Wendell both had some type of powered wristbands, whether Nega or Quantum. The thing is, Marvel is stuck on the Novas being the Green Lanterns of Marvel, as opposed to the Quantum Band users becoming multiversal protectors. As long as things didn't get too crazy out of control I'd be fine with a Quantum Corps, or whatever you call it. Maybe build in an hard rule that there can't be more than 4-6 because of the science behind how the bands work. Keep it to a limited few. But just make sure that they're not all blond haired blue eyed men, or the women are always lesbians or trans. Mix it up.

Lastly, I wouldn't mind if the bands had origins that predate the current multiverse. Let's give them some serious lore. Establish that Eon didn't create them. Maybe make them semi-sentient devices that were created back after the multiverse was first created by beings who originally only intended them to travel across the various shards of the original universe in an attempt to unite living beings across the various planes of existence. The quantum bands parallel the Infinity stones in that they are powerful remnants of a bygone universe. But unlike the stones, the wielders of the QB secretly go about their original mission of trying to unite everyone. In worthy hands, scratch that, on worthy wrists -- like Wendell's or the future Silver Surfer's, perhaps -- the bands reveal their true power and purpose, enabling the wearer to pursue that goal. In the possession of lesser individuals, the bands, while still impressive, would have a very mundane power set comparatively speaking. And those wearers would die off, or somehow lose the bands in part due to the deliberate machinations of the sentience within the bands rejecting said wielder. Imagine a gun with a moral conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Monica and Wendel do have have that in common... they've had their names taken by a member of the Vell family. Considering Teddy pulled the same stunt with his Hulking name, I'd say stealing names basically runs in the family. I'll wager DC comics would even apply that to Marv.
    Quasar stuck with me. That was the manufacturer brand of our TV at the time. I thought it was an amazing coincidence that Marvel had a character named after my TV. I know he was Marvel Man before that, and maybe one or two other names, but like Mar-Vell and Captain Marvel moniker, I'll always link Wendell to the Quasar name, no matter who is using it or the Quantum Bands.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I've wanted this since Mar-Vell and Wendell both had some type of powered wristbands, whether Nega or Quantum. The thing is, Marvel is stuck on the Novas being the Green Lanterns of Marvel, as opposed to the Quantum Band users becoming multiversal protectors. As long as things didn't get too crazy out of control I'd be fine with a Quantum Corps, or whatever you call it. Maybe build in an hard rule that there can't be more than 4-6 because of the science behind how the bands work. Keep it to a limited few. But just make sure that they're not all blond haired blue eyed men, or the women are always lesbians or trans. Mix it up.

Lastly, I wouldn't mind if the bands had origins that predate the current multiverse. Let's give them some serious lore. Establish that Eon didn't create them. Maybe make them semi-sentient devices that were created back after the multiverse was first created by beings who originally only intended them to travel across the various shards of the original universe in an attempt to unite living beings across the various planes of existence. The quantum bands parallel the Infinity stones in that they are powerful remnants of a bygone universe. But unlike the stones, the wielders of the QB secretly go about their original mission of trying to unite everyone. In worthy hands, scratch that, on worthy wrists -- like Wendell's or the future Silver Surfer's, perhaps -- the bands reveal their true power and purpose, enabling the wearer to pursue that goal. In the possession of lesser individuals, the bands, while still impressive, would have a very mundane power set comparatively speaking. And those wearers would die off, or somehow lose the bands in part due to the deliberate machinations of the sentience within the bands rejecting said wielder. Imagine a gun with a moral conscience.
    I don't mind there being more protectors of the universe in theory... but I do think it's a little TOO close to the Green Lantern Corps conceptually. Wendel already is sort of pegged as a Green Lantern rip off. Creating a Quantum Corps would basically solify that.

BANNED

Quasar stuck with me. That was the manufacturer brand of our TV at the time. I thought it was an amazing coincidence that Marvel had a character named after my TV. I know he was Marvel Man before that, and maybe one or two other names, but like Mar-Vell and Captain Marvel moniker, I'll always link Wendell to the Quasar name, no matter who is using it or the Quantum Bands.
    Haha, I had a Quasar TV (+VCR combo) at the time I got into Avengers with Busiek's run, and Quasar (the character) was featured heavily in the first few issues.

As a character, he stuck out to me, but then...*poof*!

I don't mind there being more protectors of the universe in theory... but I do think it's a little TOO close to the Green Lantern Corps conceptually. Wendel already is sort of pegged as a Green Lantern rip off. Creating a Quantum Corps would basically solify that.
    There's really no way to avoid it. If you have a character that uses an accessory to achieve various light-based powers, he/she will always be compared to the first character to have that power. I wouldn't even bother to fight it at this point. No more than Mercedes Benz should resist the surface comparisons between its autos and BMW. Marvel and DC fans both know that when you delve into the various characters, there is a qualitative distinction between a Green Lantern and a Quasar.

There's really no way to avoid it. If you have a character that uses an accessory to achieve various light-based powers, he/she will always be compared to the first character to have that power. I wouldn't even bother to fight it at this point. No more than Mercedes Benz should resist the surface comparisons between its autos and BMW. Marvel and DC fans both know that when you delve into the various characters, there is a qualitative distinction between a Green Lantern and a Quasar.
    Not going to happen. There is a list of things Marvel is bad at and "Intergalactic Police Force" is on it right behind "Speedsters"
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Spectacular Member

Well, Quantum Corps does kind of roll off the tongue, so it might stick for that reason alone!

That being said, I would NOT allow the Quantum Bands to be duplicative of the Nova Helmets. I would NOT have more than one race of beings be allowed into a Quantum Corps at a time. In other words, unlike the GLC or Nova Corps, if the Stygians (the original race to use them according to Quasar lore), have access to the bands, those bands can be duplicated many times, but ONLY FOR USE BY OTHER STYGIANS. If a Kree has them, then only other Kree can have duplicates and be part of the Quantum Corps. That might get confusing with a Phyla, for example, who came from a Kree/Eternal mix, and the Eternals have humans as ancestors, so I guess as long as part of an individual's genetic code was the same as the "main" host they could own and use the Bands as part of a Quantum Corps. Under that idea, Wendell (the main host), Avril, Phyla, and heck Peter Parker, could all be members of the Quantum Corps. I still would want each individual to have their own Superhero name - keep Wendell Quasar and have other Quantum Band users acquire other names - perhaps all names Monica Rambeau once had! LOL! (Pulsar, Photon, currently Spectrum, etc.).

As I've said before, I really want a story in which Wendell and Bob Greyson ("Marvel Boy/ the Uranian") finally meet. It's like a story 50 years in the making and I'm sad it hasn't happened yet. Maybe it can finally happen in the new Agents of Atlas comic? Maybe a crossover with Guardians of the Galaxy? Come on folks! Make it happen! Bob could even be part of the Quantum Corps himself!

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar's Bands View Post
    Well, Quantum Corps does kind of roll off the tongue, so it might stick for that reason alone!

That being said, I would NOT allow the Quantum Bands to be duplicative of the Nova Helmets. I would NOT have more than one race of beings be allowed into a Quantum Corps at a time. In other words, unlike the GLC or Nova Corps, if the Stygians (the original race to use them according to Quasar lore), have access to the bands, those bands can be duplicated many times, but ONLY FOR USE BY OTHER STYGIANS. If a Kree has them, then only other Kree can have duplicates and be part of the Quantum Corps. That might get confusing with a Phyla, for example, who came from a Kree/Eternal mix, and the Eternals have humans as ancestors, so I guess as long as part of an individual's genetic code was the same as the "main" host they could own and use the Bands as part of a Quantum Corps. Under that idea, Wendell (the main host), Avril, Phyla, and heck Peter Parker, could all be members of the Quantum Corps. I still would want each individual to have their own Superhero name - keep Wendell Quasar and have other Quantum Band users acquire other names - perhaps all names Monica Rambeau once had! LOL! (Pulsar, Photon, currently Spectrum, etc.).

As I've said before, I really want a story in which Wendell and Bob Greyson ("Marvel Boy/ the Uranian") finally meet. It's like a story 50 years in the making and I'm sad it hasn't happened yet. Maybe it can finally happen in the new Agents of Atlas comic? Maybe a crossover with Guardians of the Galaxy? Come on folks! Make it happen! Bob could even be part of the Quantum Corps himself!
    Interesting. A couple of things to point out that might help you fine tune your ideas on Quantum Corps limitations:

1. Eon didn't create the Quantum Bands, iirc. At some point, she came into the bands and took upon herself to determine who should wield them. It's possible that the QBs were used by person or persons well before Eon chose that function for herself. Starbender may have been the first being that Eon gave the bands to, but maybe not the first to ever use them. That's the problem with powerful items of unknown origin. The period between the creation of the bands and Eon coming into possession of the bands is like a huge "free land for sale" sign for retcon speculators to seize.

2. The original QBs would already have a catalogue of various species, which might make limiting duplicate bands to a single species at a time difficult. Countless other extraterrestrial species, including a few non-humanoid beings, have been depicted wearing the bands. (See below.) If any duplicate bands are just copies of the original, how then does the science work to limit which species can access the bands? Does it involve some kind of reset?

3. Part of Eon's influence on the bands is that the Protector of the Universe and recipient of the bands must somehow be deemed worthy. Well, funny thing about worthiness: it's a rare quality. Obviously, writers can pen any outcome that they want, but if they truly want us to believe that rare artifacts are reserved only for the worthy, they can't have a bunch of individuals from the same species qualifying for the mantle. It creates a credibility fissure. That's part of the problem that the Green Lantern writers often struggle with now with so many "worthy" people from Earth wearing the ring.

On a side note, Wendell, Robert Grayson and Monica Rambeau would make for a pretty solid foundation for a Quantum Corps team. Instead of Monica gaining Quantum Bands, we could simply establish that she interfaces with various reservoirs of power, including the Quantum realm. After all, she can already do everything that most other QB wielders can do, as well as a few things that they can't.

The notion of power diversity and specialization would be high on my list. With a group where everyone has the same weapons, I think it can only help to show that not every QB wielder uses the bands in the same way, or is capable of the same feats. Maybe some could use the bands to fly, but not all of them. Maybe one uses the bands for strength and physical stats enhancement with little to no energy projection powers of any kind. Maybe another wielder, still, can only use the bands to teleport ("quantum jump") and provide a protective environmental shield, but not much else. Specialization would force everyone to focus on character building, rather than power alone. It's not what makes a character a badass with the bands, but how much of a badass they are without the Quantum bands that matters.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 07-18-2019 at 12:49 PM.