Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Squadron Supreme... Or Sinister?

I'm getting quite tired of seeing different versions of the Squadron Supreme appearing through Marvel Universe. What happened to the last version of the Squadron? You know, the one formed by survivors of different realities that were destroyed in the Secret Wars. I know Nighthawk died during the Secret Empire, but what about the rest? Where are the "powerless" Power Princess, Hyperion, Doctor Spectrum and Blurr?

Now they give us "simulacrums" (artificial beings created by Mephisto, like organic LMDs or something) of those same heroes. And what will happen with them in the end? They were created by Mephisto, so we can assume that, no matter what, Mephisto will always have control over them. Therefore, this "Squadron Supreme" will end up becoming another "Squadron Sinister" that the Avengers will have to defeat? This is quite lame.

Even although I know they are just plastiches of DC's characters, they could end up having a stable version of the Squadron and stop giving us a headache.

Doctor Spectrum should be in New Attilan, and Blur joined SHIELD but will have lost his job when they were shut down, so his whereabouts are unknown. Hyperion is probably still out there in his truck.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

i love the Squadron; at least the concept of it. but Marvel continues to burn me with the depiction of their depictions of the team. the most story potential was in the now-canceled MAX Supreme Power team. but they ain't coming back. and i wouldn't trust anyone but JMS to write them, anyways. they had the perfect set-up with the last Secret Wars event. characters from the new universe line started mysteriously appearing in the 616. but they weren't treated like stragglers from another world. they were introduced as if they had always been there but off the radar. that's what could have been done with the Squadron. Zarda, even without powers, seemed like a potentially game changing female hero. but they just dropped that story with the rest of Robinson's squadron idea. what a waste. i think it'd be better to focus on the characters invidually; introducing the 616 equivalents of the individual characters. some of them could even be existing heroes who just sort of evolve into something similar to the Squadron heroes. personally, i don't want to see that new Blur or Spectrum from Robinson's book. design wise, i was interested. but the way that they were written has spoiled it for me. Marvel could have used a real speedster who wasn't Pietro Maximoff. and they blew it.

p.s. i still think Dwayne Taylor could do more with the Nighthawk identity than the others. they didn't even need to create Joaquin Pennysworth.

Mighty Member

I like the Squadron. The original Squadron Supreme is one of the all time greats, imo, and since I read that I've tried most of their books. Personally, the most enjoyable Squadron book I've read outside the original was the Secret Wars book. It was a lot of fun, had genuine suspense, and I thought the interpretation was interesting. I don't have faith that Marvel has it in them to really portray the team as heroic for a long period of time and really pull it off. I think they should go full Sinister. I would have them be like The Rogues or The Superior Foes of Spider-Man, career criminals, but with powers that completely overwhelm. And maybe they realize that they can be more, maybe some are satisfied, maybe some of the push things to far, maybe some are just trying to get enough money for a certain goal, and that's where there intrigue would come from. I just don't think the hero thing works in today's Marvel unless they have their own slice of universe, and I do feel like Robinson was struggling to really find a real/interesting purpose for them.

Astonishing Member

I have a feeling that this Squadron will somehow break free of Mephisito --- and probably sacrifice themselves to save the world -- thereby possibly 'earning' resurrection down the road. I am really digging the current story.

I have always though Thundra should have been the Squadron Earth's female member (Power Princess was just too on the nose -- and I like the idea of the color matching of Hyperion/Thundra comparable to Superman and Wonder Woman. But the last Squadron Supreme series was a bit wanting -- slow mover -- and I really disliked the female Doc Spectrum for some reason. So these more classic versions please me. Wouldn't mind seeing a few more Squadron members come along, but they are sticking with the most iconic members.

I think what Marvel and David Walker did to Supreme Power Nighthawk was a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    p.s. i still think Dwayne Taylor could do more with the Nighthawk identity than the others. they didn't even need to create Joaquin Pennysworth.
    Night Thrasher? He was dead at the time. Got revived during Contest of Champions, which ran at the same time as Squadron Supreme.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Now they give us "simulacrums" (artificial beings created by Mephisto, like organic LMDs or something) of those same heroes. And what will happen with them in the end? They were created by Mephisto, so we can assume that, no matter what, Mephisto will always have control over them.
    Why would you assume that?
    The MU is full of characters that have been created or empowered by bad guys and have then turned against their creator. From the likes of Vision and Ghost Rider to Venom.
    A character's origins really have no bearing on their allegiances.
    #EmmaWasRight

There are so many versions of this team at this point my interest has severely waned.

By the way, I can understand it if this was a one-time joke, but why is DC Comics allowing Marvel to keep using so evident ripoffs of their greatest characters?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    By the way, I can understand it if this was a one-time joke, but why is DC Comics allowing Marvel to keep using so evident ripoffs of their greatest characters?
    Because DC has never used pastiches of Marvel characters right?

Because they don't violate trademarks and you can't copyright power sets.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Because DC has never used pastiches of Marvel characters right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Because they don't violate trademarks and you can't copyright power sets.
    Both of these. But also I doubt Warner Brothers is in any hurry to get mixed up in a legal fist fight with Disney over properties that are so marginal to their bottom line. If the Squadron was being used in major feature films... that'd be another story.

Quote Originally Posted by neohuey89 View Post
    I think what Marvel and David Walker did to Supreme Power Nighthawk was a crime.
    It wouldn't have bothered as as much if there was actually some plan for Tilda as Nighthawk after they killed off Kyle. But instead they killed him as sort of a side thing in Secret Empire for nothing really. It was pretty messed up.

Yeah, Tilda's been limboed ever since, as Hawkeye and Red Wolf had left her and Wheels behind by the time of Avengers No Surrender.