Amazing Member

Default Post ROTJ new canon novels?

Ok folks where should I start?
    I am really confused about what is and is not canon right now.
    Thanks.

Aftermath takes place directly after ROTJ, I believe.

Other than that, this might help you, a list of all canon books in chronological order (publication dates are there too): http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_books

For the record the adopted parlance now is that books that follow the current canon are just Canon. The old EU stuff is now referred to as Legends continuity.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The Aftermath trilogy (Aftermath, Life Debt, and Empire's End)

Bloodlines

Lost Stars (this story follows two new characters on opposite sides in the war from before A New Hope right through the Return of the Jedi and finally to the fallout from the Battle of Jakku where the Empire made its last stand)

Those are the ones I have read.

I disliked the Aftermath trilogy but the events in it are important, the other novels are pretty good though

The biggest difference I think is the level of war. In the "Legends" EU, there was a war pretty much every few years with the remnants of the Empire, with the threat that the Empire could win again, but the heroes come through. The Del Rey sagas however have more 'game changers' such as The New Jedi Order, Legacy of the Force etc.

In the new canon, after Jakku there's pretty much peace for decades, but all this peace has pretty much allowed the hidden Imperial remnants to re-arm in relatively secrecy. Also, while Luke pretty much has brought the Jedi back to at least it's prequel strength by the time of the NJO, it feels like in TLJ that his attempt to rebuild the order is a fairly recent development, or that the training at least was taking a while until Ben screwed everything up.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    I disliked the Aftermath trilogy but the events in it are important, the other novels are pretty good though
    The first book was not the greatest I agree, but I found Life Debt and Empires End pretty good. I loved the new characters like Sinjir Velus, Norra Wexley, and especially Rae Sloane. I also like that characters like Wedge played such a big role. Watching Han and Chewbacca lead the liberation of Kashyyyk was great, and reading about the Empires last stand of Jakku was also really good.

Amazing Member

Thanks for the help folks!

Do the comics and novels all exist in same universe or are they separate?

I think every thing since Disney took over is supposed to be considered cannon except maybe some of those books aimed at younger kids.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Do the comics and novels all exist in same universe or are they separate?
    Disney has only one, unified canon.
    The current comics, novels, tv series, and movies are part of the same canon.

I don't think the Lego cartoon (Freemaker adventures) is canon, but apart from that I think that's pretty accurate. There have been a few continuity hiccups here and there such as Poe meeting Rey in the TFA novel but movie-wise they only meet at the end of TLJ; also there's quite a few scenes from "Lost Stars" set on Vader's star destroyer The Devastator around the time of ANH yet nobody knows anything about the events in Rogue One (The novel was written in 2015 but it's still a bit jarring).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-03-2018 at 05:17 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth