Thread: DC Nation #0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default DC Nation #0

Spoiler-free mini-review.... Don't read if you want to be totally surprised but there are no spoilers here, only my rating of what I read.

I'd never read Bendis before. I think I get it now. Alack and alas. Was nice to see Jose-Luis Garcia Lopez again. Shame about Superman.

Clay Mann's art is always wonderful and King's short stories are always good at least and this was no exception and was the highlight of the book.

Apart from that, if this is what was meant to create buzz about big, coming events, well, it didn't work for me.

I liked Tom King's story but I knew I would. The No Justice preview was what I was most looking forward to--because I was hoping it would excite me and tell me something more about the upcoming story than I got out of the four house ads--and it left me cold. I'll still buy every issue and I think it could easily turn my head around. I want to love Justice League.

Shame about Superman though. After a writer spends so long writing for Marvel and finally gets to play with DC characters, and is writing a promo story, there should maybe be one new idea or take or POV at least, right? There was just nothing. Like he was writing his 300th issue of a series he'd long since grown tired of. Is that the complaint about Bendis? That he's boring and has nothing to add and a has a remarkably generic voice as a writer? Because based on this comic book, those would be my complaints. That was just nothing.

Perfectly decent Joker story though it felt like it had been told before because it has.

Fantastic Member

Here are my thoughts after reading this

Superman: Still no opinion did not hate it but did not find anything particularly exciting either probably because it is the 1st issue of a new run
    Batman- Liked the story found the art made Joker especially creepy which I found enjoyable
    No Justice- I am looking forward to No Justice the art alone has me interested

Will probably pick up all three of these when they come out. With Superman still going to pick up the first issue I almost never like a first issue anyway because it is mostly set up and I feel like that is what this issue is going to be until the end.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I really dug the Bendis Superman story and the No Justice definitely seems like a lot of fun.

And Tom King already has me hook, line and sinker

Loved the Joker story. Despite knowing how it was most likely going to end, it still got to me. Mann's Joker is amazingly creepy.

Superman's story was so blah. I've enjoyed Bendis' work in the distant past. Very distant. It was actually excruciating to read his Clark dialogue. Ugh.

The No Justice preview has me intrigued. I want more!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

OMG THE JOKER ONE IS SO GOOD! I love his voice, I love his face, so creepy. The wait is intense, the ending is chilling. Love it!
    Full star.

I have a lot of questions about the Superman story, but I think it will be a spoiler.
    So all I can say right now I have no problem with Clark's voice except for one line, and I like Perry's voice.
    The reveal is uninteresting because I don't know what kind of significance it will have to Superman's world.
    Half star.

No Justice, I like how Snyder acknowledges that the teams make no sense. I don't know if the reasoning will make sense though. Jimenez art is enjoyable as always. It feels epic, but there are moments where I feel like Snyder is speaking instead of the character. I feel the same way from his other stories.
    Quarter and a half star

An angry character like Firebrand doesn't appeal to me, and I keep my stance that they should work on their already existing characters rather than make new ones. The DCU is already crowded enough as it is. The art is good though, and there's really nothing wrong with it. Just not interested.
    Quarter and a half star.

3 stars out of 4.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 05-02-2018 at 07:22 AM.

Tom King's Batman story was not that bad. The dialogue was actually good and the Joker's jokes were funny. I don't expect that to last into the main story.

I liked Bendis' Superman story. I liked how Bendis Wrote Clark and I am glad that he is bringing back the nervous Clark Kent. The story was ok considering it was in the issue to set up the Man of Steel mini and I could not find anything that I really dislike about it.

I also liked Snyder's story as it was just a set-up for No Justice.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    . . . An angry character like Firebrand doesn't appeal to me, and I keep my stance that they should work on their already existing characters rather than make new ones. The DCU is already crowded enough as it is. The art is good though, and there's really nothing wrong with it. Just not interested.
    Quarter and a half star.
    Firebrand? Was there a fourth story in DC Nation #0 in some places? The printed copy I bought on Saturday only seemed to have three stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    If people are saying its was not worth anything, they are correct. After all it was available for free.
    Maybe if you read your comic books online, but my printed copy that I picked up had a cover price of 25¢ and that's what I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    This was not an issue of a comic book. These are but teasers for the upcoming stories. To attract people who aren't reading them, to read them. To give a feel of what to expect. To make one curious. To bring attention. I think its a great idea.
    It may have been a nice idea, but if it was designed to "attract people who aren't reading them", this was an epic failure in terms of making me want to buy any of these upcoming books.
    (Your mileage may vary.)

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Spoiler-free mini-review.... Don't read if you want to be totally surprised but there are no spoilers here, only my rating of what I read.

I'd never read Bendis before. I think I get it now. Alack and alas. Was nice to see Jose-Luis Garcia Lopez again. Shame about Superman.

Shame about Superman though. After a writer spends so long writing for Marvel and finally gets to play with DC characters, and is writing a promo story, there should maybe be one new idea or take or POV at least, right? There was just nothing. Like he was writing his 300th issue of a series he'd long since grown tired of. Is that the complaint about Bendis? That he's boring and has nothing to add and a has a remarkably generic voice as a writer? Because based on this comic book, those would be my complaints. That was just nothing.
    That would be my complaint about Bendis, that he's boring and has a generic voice. That said, the bits of his Superman story we got in this book were better than the majority of Bendis's work that I've read. We didn't get those mind-numbing one-liners from various characters which just seem like an odd attempt to drag the story along.
    Last edited by Ramsay Snow; 05-07-2018 at 05:20 AM.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    That would be my complaint about Bendis, that he's boring and has a generic voice. That said, the bits of his Superman story we got in this book were better than the majority of Bendis's work that I've read. We didn't get those mind-numbing one-liners from various characters which just seem like an odd attempt to drag the story along.
    His dialogue is one of his biggest flaws at times IMO, then again it's better than mine when I try to write.

Incredible Member

Bendis's dialogue beats King's any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    But is that really all that hard to do?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But is that really all that hard to do?
    That’s true. Unfortunate but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    King has been using an unusual dialogue style during his Batman run. he didn't write dialogue that way in Mister Miracle or Omega Men.