Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: DC Nation #0

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Well, what do you know? A free promotional comic (or 25 cents in some places) that was not only pretty good, but made the upcoming stories it previewed look very promising. I'd say if I was ranking the stories from weakest to strongest, it would have to go Superman, Justice League, and Batman...or should I say Joker?

Stillanerd Reviews: DC Nation #0 review
    My rating would be pretty similar, from best to worst (for me) it would be Snyder's NO JUSTICE preview (I love Team Wisdom and Team Wonder , Team Entropy and Team Mystery have fewer characters that appeal to me).

I enjoyed King's Joker story, you have to feel sorry for the guy who Joker abducted but this just felt like classic Joker and made me look forward to his appearance at the wedding.

Superman was the weakest but that had its moments, I'm not a big fan of the character but I would say that Bendis has done enough to tease fans about his upcoming MAN OF STEEL run by posing questions about the lady who just joined the Planet as Lois replacement.

As a comic, this didn't break the bank and got me excited for 2 out of the 3 stories it teased which isn't a bad thing!

Cheers.

James.

I liked all 3 stories, although I have no intentions to read Snyder’s JL event I do plan to check out his Justice League after the event ends. So reading this gave me a taste of what to expect from Snyder. I also liked BMB Superman story here, I feel like BMB is going to do a good job of balancing Clark’s personal life, work life, and Superman life the same way he was able to do Peter’s in Ultimate Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    That, and I guess the big shock is that somehow Lois has gone missing or has left the Daily Planet. I'm somewhat confused about that part. Has Lois gone missing and Clark and Perry are just telling people that she's left the Planet or has she just left the Planet?
    The vague answer, based off MOS solicits, is that her whereabouts are definitely NOT what Perry and everyone else thinks it is and that Clark concocted a lie to hide what's really going on with her. She didn't quit to write a book.

A more specific answer, patched together off some shared pencils by Bendis and Co on Twitter and laced with some intelligent guessing on my part (if you consider that too spoilery):
    spoilers:
    It looks as if Jor-El takes Lois and Jon to parts unknown, likely at Clark's request, and likely to protect Jon from Rogal Zaar, as of course his mission is to complete the extinction of Kryponians. Lois probably goes too because she's Jon's mother and isn't going to let him be sent off by himself and especially not with someone she doesn't trust
    end of spoilers
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    . . . An angry character like Firebrand doesn't appeal to me, and I keep my stance that they should work on their already existing characters rather than make new ones. The DCU is already crowded enough as it is. The art is good though, and there's really nothing wrong with it. Just not interested.
    Quarter and a half star.
    Firebrand? Was there a fourth story in DC Nation #0 in some places? The printed copy I bought on Saturday only seemed to have three stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    If people are saying its was not worth anything, they are correct. After all it was available for free.
    Maybe if you read your comic books online, but my printed copy that I picked up had a cover price of 25¢ and that's what I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    This was not an issue of a comic book. These are but teasers for the upcoming stories. To attract people who aren't reading them, to read them. To give a feel of what to expect. To make one curious. To bring attention. I think its a great idea.
    It may have been a nice idea, but if it was designed to "attract people who aren't reading them", this was an epic failure in terms of making me want to buy any of these upcoming books.
    (Your mileage may vary.)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Firebrand? Was there a fourth story in DC Nation #0 in some places? The printed copy I bought on Saturday only seemed to have three stories.
    The digital version included the preview of The Unexpected that's been circulated through DC's online partners.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    The digital version included the preview of The Unexpected that's been circulated through DC's online partners.
    Oh, good, a preview of something else by a writer I don't enjoy.

Maybe if you read your comic books online, but my printed copy that I picked up had a cover price of 25¢ and that's what I paid for it.
    My bad. I came to know about it later that the printed version was not free.

It may have been a nice idea, but if it was designed to "attract people who aren't reading them", this was an epic failure in terms of making me want to buy any of these upcoming books.
    (Your mileage may vary.)
    Speaking for me i was already interested in Bendis on Superman. The preview increased my interest as i have always wanted characters like Perry White get more focus. Superman also works in a newspaper. That aspect has been ignored for some time.

Justice League definitely got me interested. I am hoping that it does not let me down.

Batman was the one which did not work for me. I thought it was a nice short story. I actually liked it the most from the three. But what was the point? Joker is not happy that he did not get an invitation? It was a failure if we are speaking in terms of whether it got me interested in trying the next issues.

Sad to hear that nothing caught your interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Oh that one. I was puzzled by the fourth story. I thought it was okay. I did not feel that i shall rush and get it. Maybe i will try one or two issues. The idea of someone having to fight each 24 hours or die is an intriguing one. But the preview was not interesting in my opinion.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 05-06-2018 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Spoiler-free mini-review.... Don't read if you want to be totally surprised but there are no spoilers here, only my rating of what I read.

I'd never read Bendis before. I think I get it now. Alack and alas. Was nice to see Jose-Luis Garcia Lopez again. Shame about Superman.

Shame about Superman though. After a writer spends so long writing for Marvel and finally gets to play with DC characters, and is writing a promo story, there should maybe be one new idea or take or POV at least, right? There was just nothing. Like he was writing his 300th issue of a series he'd long since grown tired of. Is that the complaint about Bendis? That he's boring and has nothing to add and a has a remarkably generic voice as a writer? Because based on this comic book, those would be my complaints. That was just nothing.
    That would be my complaint about Bendis, that he's boring and has a generic voice. That said, the bits of his Superman story we got in this book were better than the majority of Bendis's work that I've read. We didn't get those mind-numbing one-liners from various characters which just seem like an odd attempt to drag the story along.
    Last edited by Ramsay Snow; 05-07-2018 at 05:20 AM.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    That would be my complaint about Bendis, that he's boring and has a generic voice. That said, the bits of his Superman story we got in this book were better than the majority of Bendis's work that I've read. We didn't get those mind-numbing one-liners from various characters which just seem like an odd attempt to drag the story along.
    His dialogue is one of his biggest flaws at times IMO, then again it's better than mine when I try to write.

Incredible Member

Bendis's dialogue beats King's any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    But is that really all that hard to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    King has been using an unusual dialogue style during his Batman run. he didn't write dialogue that way in Mister Miracle or Omega Men.

Incredible Member

But is that really all that hard to do?
    That’s true. Unfortunate but true.