Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DC Nation #0

Default DC Nation #0

Spoiler-free mini-review.... Don't read if you want to be totally surprised but there are no spoilers here, only my rating of what I read.

I'd never read Bendis before. I think I get it now. Alack and alas. Was nice to see Jose-Luis Garcia Lopez again. Shame about Superman.

Clay Mann's art is always wonderful and King's short stories are always good at least and this was no exception and was the highlight of the book.

Apart from that, if this is what was meant to create buzz about big, coming events, well, it didn't work for me.

I liked Tom King's story but I knew I would. The No Justice preview was what I was most looking forward to--because I was hoping it would excite me and tell me something more about the upcoming story than I got out of the four house ads--and it left me cold. I'll still buy every issue and I think it could easily turn my head around. I want to love Justice League.

Shame about Superman though. After a writer spends so long writing for Marvel and finally gets to play with DC characters, and is writing a promo story, there should maybe be one new idea or take or POV at least, right? There was just nothing. Like he was writing his 300th issue of a series he'd long since grown tired of. Is that the complaint about Bendis? That he's boring and has nothing to add and a has a remarkably generic voice as a writer? Because based on this comic book, those would be my complaints. That was just nothing.

Perfectly decent Joker story though it felt like it had been told before because it has.

Fantastic Member

Here are my thoughts after reading this

Superman: Still no opinion did not hate it but did not find anything particularly exciting either probably because it is the 1st issue of a new run
    Batman- Liked the story found the art made Joker especially creepy which I found enjoyable
    No Justice- I am looking forward to No Justice the art alone has me interested

Will probably pick up all three of these when they come out. With Superman still going to pick up the first issue I almost never like a first issue anyway because it is mostly set up and I feel like that is what this issue is going to be until the end.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I really dug the Bendis Superman story and the No Justice definitely seems like a lot of fun.

And Tom King already has me hook, line and sinker

Loved the Joker story. Despite knowing how it was most likely going to end, it still got to me. Mann's Joker is amazingly creepy.

Superman's story was so blah. I've enjoyed Bendis' work in the distant past. Very distant. It was actually excruciating to read his Clark dialogue. Ugh.

The No Justice preview has me intrigued. I want more!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

OMG THE JOKER ONE IS SO GOOD! I love his voice, I love his face, so creepy. The wait is intense, the ending is chilling. Love it!
    Full star.

I have a lot of questions about the Superman story, but I think it will be a spoiler.
    So all I can say right now I have no problem with Clark's voice except for one line, and I like Perry's voice.
    The reveal is uninteresting because I don't know what kind of significance it will have to Superman's world.
    Half star.

No Justice, I like how Snyder acknowledges that the teams make no sense. I don't know if the reasoning will make sense though. Jimenez art is enjoyable as always. It feels epic, but there are moments where I feel like Snyder is speaking instead of the character. I feel the same way from his other stories.
    Quarter and a half star

An angry character like Firebrand doesn't appeal to me, and I keep my stance that they should work on their already existing characters rather than make new ones. The DCU is already crowded enough as it is. The art is good though, and there's really nothing wrong with it. Just not interested.
    Quarter and a half star.

3 stars out of 4.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 05-02-2018 at 07:22 AM.

Tom King's Batman story was not that bad. The dialogue was actually good and the Joker's jokes were funny. I don't expect that to last into the main story.

I liked Bendis' Superman story. I liked how Bendis Wrote Clark and I am glad that he is bringing back the nervous Clark Kent. The story was ok considering it was in the issue to set up the Man of Steel mini and I could not find anything that I really dislike about it.

I also liked Snyder's story as it was just a set-up for No Justice.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

The Joker story by King, Mann and Bellaire was by far the best

The Superman story was next, it doesn't say much, but at least the interactions were fun, José Luis García López was excellent, glad that he conserves a lot of what made him so especial so long ago

No Justice didn't deliver anything that made me excited about the story, the threat seems generic and I'm not feeling the teams yet, though that it's comprehensible since it hadn't a lot of space to show much of the teams' dynamics. Jorge Jimenez's art is always appreciated
    Last edited by Chubistian; 05-02-2018 at 11:20 AM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

The Batman one was horrible in typical King, Batman fashion. Boring, repetitive, and ultimately pointless.

Superman one was ok. So I guess Lois is trying to write her great American novel. They did that with Clark 20 years ago already but ok. The new appearently evil, reporter is intriguing. So far with this and AC 1000 Bendis has just been ok. Which I guess is better than a train wreck but there's still time to see.

Justice League was my favorite. It didn't have much except showing off the teams but the art was awesome and seeing all those different characters interacting was exciting. Got me real pumped up for No Justice next week.

Why the hell is Sinestro wearing his ring on his right hand now?? Just because he's on a JL team, he's no longer "sinister" and left-handed? Such a pointless change...

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Has anyone who's read the "No Justice" preview in DC Nation #0 read Avengers #1 also..?

Superman one was ok. So I guess Lois is trying to write her great American novel. They did that with Clark 20 years ago already but ok. The new appearently evil, reporter is intriguing. So far with this and AC 1000 Bendis has just been ok. Which I guess is better than a train wreck but there's still time to see.
    Without going into what could be constituted as spoiler material, the solicits for MOS suggest this is a lie, there's some other reason for her absence.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Yeah, that last page of the No Justice preview...
    Kara and Ollie may need some more backup back on Earth... Like, ALL the backup ever.

The Joker story was, well, very Joker-esque. And creepy as hell. Well done.

Superman... Not sure what to think just yet.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SplinteringHeart View Post
    Has anyone who's read the "No Justice" preview in DC Nation #0 read Avengers #1 also..?
    I want to read it but I can't justify spending $5 on one issue I am probably going to end up trade waiting I have to really love a series to buy floppies of it

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Yeah, that last page of the No Justice preview...
    Kara and Ollie may need some more backup back on Earth... Like, ALL the backup ever.
    Spoiler Alert: The near to last page of Avengers #1 has three massive beings from space, it looks like Cap Iron Man and Thor will also need "all the back up ever"!

Been looking forward to No Justice and then the new four teams, but wondering now if I'll be reading much the same in Avengers..

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reni344 View Post
    I want to read it but I can't justify spending $5 on one issue I am probably going to end up trade waiting I have to really love a series to buy floppies of it
    The digital version is free