Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DC Nation #0

Fantastic Member

I may be alone, but I don’t read Justice League and certain heroes for “grounded” stories. Which is why I’m loving Snyder’s direction these days.

I liked the Superman story a lot! Something about it just clicked for me.

The Joker story was also really good. But it would work a lot better as a live-action short. I can just imagine a shot of the man and the Joker sitting next to each other, tension oozing out of the scenery. A good actor could make every time the Joker opens his mouth super suspenseful. Gosh, I kind of wish this would happen.

The Justice League story was alright. A fun little preview, but not too engaging besides that last page lol. I did like how they used the leaders first person thought boxes to act as a chain of characterization. Clever.

Why did they choose that for the Superman teaser?!? There was nothing there to get readers excited.

“Holy crap! The Daily Planet hired a new reporter and Clark didn’t want Lois’ old office!!!”

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    I may be alone, but I don’t read Justice League and certain heroes for “grounded” stories. Which is why I’m loving Snyder’s direction these days.
    Fair enough and I'd never try to persuade anyone to dislike something they're loving. That's not how I roll.

Maybe a better word would have been "substantive." I am holding out hope Snyder's run will not be all flash and no substance. I love the characters and I love the way they relate to one another and that's when JL(A) is at its best for me.

When the top of the pops is Joker dragons (one of many admittedly wonderfully whimsical ideas) you can't expect him to go very deep with the characters. It's just a whole different thing he's been up to.

I hope that you and I will both wind up loving Snyder's JL run.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Why did they choose that for the Superman teaser?!? There was nothing there to get readers excited.

“Holy crap! The Daily Planet hired a new reporter and Clark didn’t want Lois’ old office!!!”
    I think the major teaser is the new woman channeling Alexis Colby (of Dynasty) on the last page. (I'd use a more recent reference, but that one really sticks I think.)
    And the possibility that she may end up discovering Clark's secret.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

Exactly. That was what inspired me to start a negative thread when I so much prefer to post about what I enjoy than what I don't.

I ordered it online late at night when it first became available and I was actively frowning during the Superman story and when it was over I wanted to slap my laptop.

I said aloud, much to the surprise of my sleeping dog, "That was NOTHING! That's Bendis?! That's just a whole lot of NOTHING!"

I've never read anything by Bendis before and I've already subscribed to MoS at my LCS (though I can drop of course at any time) and every Superman thing he's doing because I always give new writers a chance and the artists on MoS are stellar. I've thought about reading popular titles by him knowing he was on his way to DC but I've opted to just look at his Superman work freshly and give it every chance.

That preview had the opposite of the intended effect for me.

It reminded me I love King's Batman which, duh, I never forget that and I always buy more than one copy because I give them to friends so no help there.

It almost talked me out of trying No Justice, though I would never not pick up a new take on Justice League and I'm holding out hope this was just too promo a promo and there's more to it than it seems so far.

And it created a huge anti-Bendis-Superman bias in me. How did he push me so far away in so few pages? That's some kind of power right there. I'm still going to read MoS and give him further chances and hope I'll see in him what his fans do. But he doesn't seem to have an ear for Superman at all. And that "promotional" "story" neither promoted his work nor told any kind of story.

The most remarkable thing about DC Nation #0 therefore, for me anyway, was how dull a writer Bendis can possibly be given all his past success. And the answer, again for me, is VERY dull.

Like slap your computer and half-yell "That was NOTHING!" dull.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I think the major teaser is the new woman channeling Alexis Colby (of Dynasty) on the last page. (I'd use a more recent reference, but that one really sticks I think.)
    And the possibility that she may end up discovering Clark's secret.
    That, and I guess the big shock is that somehow Lois has gone missing or has left the Daily Planet. I'm somewhat confused about that part. Has Lois gone missing and Clark and Perry are just telling people that she's left the Planet or has she just left the Planet?

Liked Superman the most. Ironically BatmanJones that feeling of "that's it?" you describe was how I felt about the Batman story, and I've been loving King's run. Snyder's JL seems ok, I liked his ambition at least, and I loved Metal so I hope his JL continues that run of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerulean Scarab View Post
    I liked the Superman story a lot! Something about it just clicked for me.

The Joker story was also really good. But it would work a lot better as a live-action short. I can just imagine a shot of the man and the Joker sitting next to each other, tension oozing out of the scenery. A good actor could make every time the Joker opens his mouth super suspenseful. Gosh, I kind of wish this would happen.

The Justice League story was alright. A fun little preview, but not too engaging besides that last page lol. I did like how they used the leaders first person thought boxes to act as a chain of characterization. Clever.
    I agree, the Joker story was brilliant! Who knew that a story surrounding waiting for mail could be so good! That and Mann draws a really creepy Joker.

I thought the Superman story was nothing special. Not bad by any means, but nothing to really grab my attention.

I liked the Justice League story. It was quickly paced and has me curious to see what's going to happen next. Also, the art was great.

https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/...4/dc-nation-0/

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Those are the words I've been trying to find to describe Snyder lately especially (All-Star Batman, Metal, No Justice previews): bombastic and silly.

I really hope he gets it out of his system and finds a way to tell a grounded, interesting, character-driven story in the monthly. I really want to love Justice League again.

I enjoyed his work so much more before he decided to be a 'rock star' writer. All-Star Batman was bombastic and silly, Metal was bombastic and silly, and No Justice looks very bombastic and silly.

I would love to be wrong. And I'm buying all of it. The shadows in the brief preview art featuring John Stewart gave me hope. At least the art seems to be compelling in a serious way. Hopefully the story will too.
    I like Snyder's bombastic and silly writing. I am looking forward to his no justice event and his justice league.
    Last edited by Moonwix; 05-03-2018 at 11:13 PM.

If people are saying its was not worth anything, they are correct. After all it was available for free.

This was not an issue of a comic book. These are but teasers for the upcoming stories. To attract people who aren't reading them, to read them. To give a feel of what to expect. To make one curious. To bring attention. I think its a great idea. DC shall do this more.

I think the best story was Joker's. And at the same time it was useless. I expected something more. What are Joker's plans? I got that he was displeased that Batman is not inviting him. But i feel that it should have been more. I like this Joker a lot. Somewhat quiet. And unpredictable. I think after a long time i have read a Joker who makes my skin crawl. Yet, i am not excited for the story as it told nothing about others. Before marriage lots of things are happening. I will pick that 50th issue. But i don't think i am interested in anything else.

Justice League did its job. It told what to expect from the stories. And i am really interested. Liked seeing different teams. Liked seeing the new costumes. Different costumes for Justice League is a nice thing. I am already hooked by the kind of tension possible with heroes and villains working together. And it ended in a nice cliffhanger leaving me wanting to read more. As a story whose job is to tease, i think this did the best job of the three.

I liked the Superman story quite a bit. For sometime i wanted to read the Daily Planet cast. They have been ignored in the books. And Bendis was really good in setting that. I loved reading Perry White. I liked the whole 'office vibe' in the issue. I don't prefer one kind of Clark Kent over the other: confident or mild mannered. I really liked reading Clark Kent here. Thought bubbles looking like typed pages was a nice touch for Clark Kent. It kept some tension and mystery to the whereabouts of Lois Lane. New characters look interesting. Overall, i think it did a good job to tell what to expect from Bendis. I think his Action is going to focus more on Clark Kent side of Superman, while Superman will focus more on the Superman side of Superman. It was not a complete issue. But a tease. I liked what i was reading.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 05-03-2018 at 11:51 PM.

The Joker tale was fantastic.

I can only imagine that it's a tamer take on a previous draft.

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus
    I thought the Superman story was nothing special. Not bad by any means, but nothing to really grab my attention.

https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/...4/dc-nation-0/
    I can see why others may see it that way. Personally, I'm a huge sucker for Clark-centered "slice of life" stuff, juggling his Superman identity and personal secrets with his relatively normal reporter life. It didnt set the world on fire, but it just hit all the right buttons for me and I really liked it.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

GQ: How did you come up with this idea about the Joker wanting a wedding invite?
    Tom King: The idea was, what would happen if Joker found out about the wedding. I just like the idea that he just thinks he's gonna get an invitation. That just makes no sense! But nothing has to make sense with the Joker. So if they gave him an invitation, where would they send it? And he's like, "Oh, just some random dude's house." You follow the Joker's un-logic, and it leads you to the story.

How does the Joker exist in your head? How do you use a character that's been done endlessly?

He exists in two ways in my head. He's unlike any other character in fiction—I come from novels, and the entire idea of writing is about balancing motivations.The Joker is not like that. He doesn't have motivation. You could write a twelve issue series where he's like, "I'm gonna get the Holy Grail" and the whole time he's like John Wayne in The Searchers and is just obsessed with the Holy Grail and then he gets there and finds the Holy Grail and just walks away. It makes no difference to him, whether he succeeds or doesn't succeed.

The second thing is, in my version of the Joker, the way I like to view it, I kind of think it's all an act? I like to think he's sane underneath it all. I put this in [a previous story] The War of Jokes and Riddles.

Well, what do you know? A free promotional comic (or 25 cents in some places) that was not only pretty good, but made the upcoming stories it previewed look very promising. I'd say if I was ranking the stories from weakest to strongest, it would have to go Superman, Justice League, and Batman...or should I say Joker?

Stillanerd Reviews: DC Nation #0 review
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton