Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Default DC Nation #0 (SPOILERS) - free release on Reading Apps

I'll update that if it changes, hopefully it doesn't of course because NOOK users through Barnes and Noble and Comixology having this available for free was a fantastic surprise. I still want the print copy more than anything though because this is a solid package.

But of course I read Superman hours before I'll read the rest lol. And it was totally great. I'm terrified that we're getting this doom and gloom from people reporting because if you just read the comics and let them speak for themselves, it's a completely different experience.

Bendis did a great job balancing well... everything. His Superman voice so far is not like his Marvel voice. IMO, the current situation shouldn't be prematurely evaluated as a status quo change but just an ongoing plot that will play itself out. For me that's what made it the balanced amount of drama and undercurrent of superheroics. Perry taking that swerve (it's funny Clark mentions heart and blood pressure, because I felt mine go up at the sight of "Perry is DC's JJJ") and showing that he does still behave like an actual, honest person. Perry is the most genuine man in the niche of comic book bosses, and Lois and Clark are parts of his family. And then meanwhile... wow, Clark fits where Jurgens was leaving off by mixing pre crisis in a post crisis world. The stuttering is basic but fine by me as otherwise you don't get his his usual writing tics. It's really his distance from Perry even though he sees him like family, too. You can just imagine that Midwestwern accent in his head as Perry lays on the cover thick ("please, Perry, stahp") and although these two men are close he has no idea of the true Clark.

Man, the cast. It's balanced out by Jimmy being funny and humble instead of trying to make him likeable and trying too hard about it. Lombard being there without introducing himself to the reader and giving a macho example that's actually his entire existence. But also... Trish Q and Goode. Man, I didn't see us getting set up into the thick of underlying things just by that DP intro. Goode was another clever swerve (and that beautiful crack on Perry, haha) but I bet Trish Q is involved with the secret side of Metropolis' underground.

I liked having Action in passing, and I imagine that's how Bendis will get around making it more ground over in Action Comics. Looked like we have a beautiful set up for that Reis flying scene, and JLGL is definitely to thank for that. Awesome, old school beauty and the imo, he's the best at storytelling. This thing to me just went off without a hitch.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Really enjoyed this story, I've constantly said this on this forum, but the way Bendis described his Clark is what I've wanted to see from the character for a while. And based on these few pages, it looks like he will deliver. Really feels like he gave Clark character in this issue that he didn't have before. MilestoGo said he's used to post crisis Clark, who is more confident, and I think that's why Bendis's Clark is such a fresh change of pace. And based on Action 1K, Superman will still be a bit cocky, so there will be a nice a balance of the character. I'm also guessing he'll have a mix of both when he's around jon and lois.

I also wanna say I love that Clark has his is own thought font that looks like type writing. Based on the JL short also in the special, Superman will still have his typical thought box(maybe I am calling this the wrong thing btw) but I am really glad Bendis is putting so much focus on Clark and seperating him from Superman, he even thinks more personally.

Also, can we talk about when Perry is describing Perry in his head and then says "humans are special'. While I am a bit iffy on that line, I think Bendis has the right intentions with showing how Superman thinks about his love for people.

So talking about the cast, Jimmy is still Jimmy. It's nice seeing new cast members like Trish Q. I am guessing she has a big role in the weekly, being the POV of the audience and giving us the scoop on Lois & Jon. Also I don't think the new reporter will be ousted in the man of steel weekly. The solicitations in July mentioned her as well.

I'm sure the main discussion will be what Bendis is doing with Lois, but in terms of this issue, I am really excited for the future of Action Comics(Superman remains to be seen.)

I feel like Perry was the POV character in that we're in the same boat of understanding. What's really going on, Clark?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I feel like Perry was the POV character in that we're in the same boat of understanding. What's really going on, Clark?
    what did you guys think of clark saying 'well I am on the market" in reference to the new reporter asking him out for lunch? If we still go with the idea Jor El is taking Lois and Jon somewhere to hide from Rogal Zaar, it seems a bit overboard to be doing all of this.

I don’t know why those people were freaking out, this was great! A bunch better showcase of what Bendis can do with Superman than the Action Comics #1000 story.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    what did you guys think of clark saying 'well I am on the market" in reference to the new reporter asking him out for lunch? If we still go with the idea Jor El is taking Lois and Jon somewhere to hide from Rogal Zaar, it seems a bit overboard to be doing all of this.
    He goes, "well, uh, I am in the" and I assume he was saying that he was in the middle of something since Perry called him to the office.

-It was very good. As much as i enjoyed Rebirth era Superman, one of the things i wanted to see more was Daily Planet. The focus was more on the adventures of Superman. We were lucky to see Perry or Jimmy once in a while for a panel or two. The Planet was like an afterthought. Part of the reason was the status quo. But even after Reborn it did not change. But here it felt like there was an 'office vibe' here. So, many characters. New and old. I liked it.

-This is more classic Clark Kent. I do not actually have a preference. Superman The Movie's Clark Kent was great. Same thing was in All Star. So, i have lot of love for this. And i love the Post Crisis style too. The more confident guy. Let us see. This Clark Kent helps differentiate Superman. I am on board.

-Lack of Lois does create tension. What is happening here?

-I noticed the use of the word 'Truth' by Perry. Interesting way to say this. Instead of editorials, commentaries, letters and other ways to speak of suspicion, he wants to print what the superheroes do. If heroes slip he will print that. But he 'won't sell fear anymore to keep the lights on'.

-I thought it was interesting to see what Perry wanted him to write. 'The angle'. 'His writing earlier brought tears'. He was stern yet cares for Clark. I am really digging Bendis writing Perry White.

-I did not notice the thought box style of Clark. Thanks for pointing that out DragonPiece. I would love that to be the default. At least for Clark. It brings something different. Like Joker's voice in Arkham Asylum comic book.

So far so good. Man of Steel begins on May 30th. So, there's no Superman for one month? What am i gonna do? I am picking Justice League again. It looks fun. And there is Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    He goes, "well, uh, I am in the" and I assume he was saying that he was in the middle of something since Perry called him to the office.
    Ok that makes a lot more sense and has me even less worried.

Always Rakzo

Was pleasently surprised about King's Joker segment which portrays him effectively and terrifyingly and prepares his role for the upcoming wedding story nicely (then again, not having much hope about that one because King's Batman stories rarely have a satisfying development, just see this week's Batman).

Was surprised to not see more of Bendis' new direction in the Action Comics Special but now I'm glad because this was insanely mediocre with all the expected beats of his work (forcing a change of the status quo and awkward dialogue, particularly the stuttering Clark). Not betting on the quality of this run.

The Justice League segment was decent, a bit overwritten which is expected from Snyder but still gets the job done. It was a decent prologue for new stories I guess.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

This sort of workplace politics and drama wouldn't have been something that I was looking for a few years ago, but it's kind of super refreshing right now. I always get scared when some writers try and go this angle because they tend to lose the distinctive traits of the characters at the Planet in favor of an overly realistic and ultimately flat take. This wasn't that. This was surprisingly robust in its use of distinctive character traits while injecting competency and drama that would make sense for Superman's world. Even Clark's story was kind no-sold by Perry because of the context of their fantastic world.

Perry's super awkward display at the office felt really genuine to me. Lost his best reporter and closest thing to a daughter all at once, and he's got no answers about it. Bendis seems to be setting up Trish Q and Goode in the super vacant role of Person Trying To Figure Out The Secret. Morrison, Waid, Millar, and Peyer were actually set on using Cat Grant in the role back when Superman 2000 was a possible thing, and I honestly thought it was a good idea.

Dug the whole surprisingly competent church mouse Clark that Bendis was going for. I was fully prepared for Superman with a pen and pad to headline Bendis' Action Comics, but to my surprise it's we got quite the opposite but left the competency intact.

Between this and 1000 I'm more or less on the hook, but I'm ready for the 6 week long mini to really see what this is all about.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

Bendis' story was mediocre and old fashioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    This sort of workplace politics and drama wouldn't have been something that I was looking for a few years ago, but it's kind of super refreshing right now. I always get scared when some writers try and go this angle because they tend to lose the distinctive traits of the characters at the Planet in favor of an overly realistic and ultimately flat take. This wasn't that. This was surprisingly robust in its use of distinctive character traits while injecting competency and drama that would make sense for Superman's world. Even Clark's story was kind no-sold by Perry because of the context of their fantastic world.

Perry's super awkward display at the office felt really genuine to me. Lost his best reporter and closest thing to a daughter all at once, and he's got no answers about it. Bendis seems to be setting up Trish Q and Goode in the super vacant role of Person Trying To Figure Out The Secret. Morrison, Waid, Millar, and Peyer were actually set on using Cat Grant in the role back when Superman 2000 was a possible thing, and I honestly thought it was a good idea.

Dug the whole surprisingly competent church mouse Clark that Bendis was going for. I was fully prepared for Superman with a pen and pad to headline Bendis' Action Comics, but to my surprise it's we got quite the opposite but left the competency intact.

Between this and 1000 I'm more or less on the hook, but I'm ready for the 6 week long mini to really see what this is all about.
    Superlad what do you mean by "surprisingly competent church mouse Clark?"

Now that i think about it someone trying to find out his secret identity has been missing in the books.

I did not think it was really awkward on the part of Perry. I caught some of the awkwardness when Clark was thinking and Perry mentioned that to Clark. I thought it was an impassioned speech to get the people going. And you are saying super awkward display? Did i miss something? I must say i couldn't catch how that was 'Perry's version of having Clark's back'.

Edit: Never mind about having Clark's back and being awkward. People at the office don't know where Lois is. Perry knows that she is gone for at least sometime. Clark knows that but wants it to be a secret. This was awkward.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 05-02-2018 at 08:28 AM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    -It was very good. As much as i enjoyed Rebirth era Superman, one of the things i wanted to see more was Daily Planet. The focus was more on the adventures of Superman. We were lucky to see Perry or Jimmy once in a while for a panel or two. The Planet was like an afterthought. Part of the reason was the status quo. But even after Reborn it did not change. But here it felt like there was an 'office vibe' here. So, many characters. New and old. I liked it.

-This is more classic Clark Kent. I do not actually have a preference. Superman The Movie's Clark Kent was great. Same thing was in All Star. So, i have lot of love for this. And i love the Post Crisis style too. The more confident guy. Let us see. This Clark Kent helps differentiate Superman. I am on board.

-Lack of Lois does create tension. What is happening here?

-I noticed the use of the word 'Truth' by Perry. Interesting way to say this. Instead of editorials, commentaries, letters and other ways to speak of suspicion, he wants to print what the superheroes do. If heroes slip he will print that. But he 'won't sell fear anymore to keep the lights on'.

-I thought it was interesting to see what Perry wanted him to write. 'The angle'. 'His writing earlier brought tears'. He was stern yet cares for Clark. I am really digging Bendis writing Perry White.

-I did not notice the thought box style of Clark. Thanks for pointing that out DragonPiece. I would love that to be the default. At least for Clark. It brings something different. Like Joker's voice in Arkham Asylum comic book.

So far so good. Man of Steel begins on May 30th. So, there's no Superman for one month? What am i gonna do? I am picking Justice League again. It looks fun. And there is Superman.
    There is still the Superman Special by Tomasi and Gleeson coming out either next week or the week after. The Action Comics special by Jurgens is also out today.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Superlad what do you mean by "surprisingly competent church mouse Clark?"
    Meek and unassuming Clark who is surprisingly competent as a reporter. That's all. Weak choice of words to be honest, but I was in a rush and on my phone.

I did not think it was really awkward on the part of Perry.
    Watching your boss having what amounts to a meltdown in the middle of the office because he's clearly sad over his favorite reporter and daughter figure leaving is pretty awkward in itself. Becomes more awkward when he acts like he doesn't care--giving away Lois' office and what not-- but in reality he's pretty hurt.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Reading some of the advance reviews for the DC Nation story i was preparing myself for something terrible when it came to Lois. It feels like a lot of those reviewers are jumping to conclusions a bit. The whole implied mystery surrounding Lois' whereabouts is a little concerning, but honestly i dont mind them taking Lois and Jon off the canvas for a short time to resquare the focus back on Clark again for the duration of Man of Steel. Don't get me wrong, ive enjoyed the Superfamily immensely the last two years ( four years worth of material ) but it could be argued the SUPERMAN book has been a co-staring vehicle for Jon during its most recent run,so im ok with not seeing Jon and by extension Lois for awhile , just as long as Bendis doesn't milk the " where is the Superfamily?" angle as an ongoing mystery beyond MOS. Hopefully by the end of that we know where they are and that they are safe and sound and give us a satisfying reason for setting them aside for a little while. Bendis must tread carefully, but so far i see nothing to be that upset about.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.