Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Marvel have continually outsold DC for decades with only rare and short-lived instances of DC dominance. This began well before Bendis came to Marvel and I can't imagine it changing with his departure.

Spectacular Member

No. In fact I see Bendis leaving (thank god) Marvel as a catalyst for Marvel's lead over DC to increase. Let's face facts, his writing alienated far more long time fans than the number of new fans he drew. If he stays true to form look for more of his non-finale events and panel after panel of talking heads.

I think a more realistic question is: “Will the move to D.C. re-vitalise his writing?”

Will we see the Bendis of Ultimate Spider-man, or the Bendis of some of his more dire efforts?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I think a more realistic question is: “Will the move to D.C. re-vitalise his writing?”

Will we see the Bendis of Ultimate Spider-man, or the Bendis of some of his more dire efforts?
    Agreed.

I hope Bendis work on Superman is far better than his recent work at Marvel which was really dull.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Agreed.

I hope Bendis work on Superman is far better than his recent work at Marvel which was really dull.
    Yes. I’d really like to see a top rate long Superman run, in my jaundiced view last one was way back.

Fingers crossed, because my own feeling is that Bendis’s best work tends to be on moderately powered characters, not sure he’s a natural writer for Superman.

Incredible Member

Marvel seems to put out nearly twice as much as DC, barely etch out more overall sales and regularly have fewer titles than DC in the top 10 for physical or digital. Meanwhile, Bendis has had record low sales for the X-Men and Ironman in recent years. So, I'm going to say Bendis on his A game could bolster DCs high they've been riding since Rebirth but usurping Marvel won't be down to him more than the issues of frequently cancelled and rebooted series and event fatigue, among others

Incredible Member

Marvel is MUCH better off with him gone. While I enjoyed Bendis on Ultimate spider-man which was generally my lead into comics his recent work has been very hit or miss. Miles and Iron-man have sadly been just horrible as of late and of course there was the mess that was civil war 2. Jessica Jones and the Defenders prove he can write down to earth street level characters handling sweet level adventures. This actually makes me worried now for superman who is a the exact opposite a street level character. So we shall see what happens for superman

Incredible Member

In the early 2000's it would have catastrophic but Bendis's star has been on the wane, and really despite DC hailing of him as a major coup, Tom King, Scott Snyder, and Geoff Johns are all bigger stars acclaim and sales wise at DC.

Bendis's only real hurt on Marvel is that he was a bigger name on a lean talent roster and a link to their last sales glory days of 2001-2010

I don't think Bendis' few pages of Superman stuff released so far in Action #1000 and DC Nation #0 have really felt all that "Bendisy".
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post

Honestly, I think Bendis doesn't need revitalizing. With the exception of his last Iron Man arc, which feels rushed, his post-Civil War II output has been pretty great. Maybe because he knows it will be a while before he comes back, but he can still do great things.

iMan 42s

If going off his recent work? I haven't read much of his X-men but his Spider-man was at least consistent. But his Iron man is awful, it started great but fell apart once Riri took over for almost a year and a half. That's probably because he was getting ready to move to DC in the latter half of it but that doesn't say good things about someones work ethic that they just stop caring once the time is up.

Invincible Iron man got an unnecessary shakeup in the first year
    Civil War 2 (his event) has debatable success
    International Iron man (the sister title) has nothing in it that couldn't have been just told in Invincible Iron man
    Riri Williams is largely a failure and is too reliant on other writers to work

To be completely honest, he ran a franchise into the ground for no reason.
    I'm more concerned for Superman fans. Will they get Ultimate Spider-man Bendis, or Iron man Bendis?
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I hope the Bendis line of books, part of his deal with DC, includes a return to some of his hard-boiled detective material. He really was a great — not good, GREAT — writer on his creations like Goldfish, Jinx and Torso. Fortune and Glory was the funniest comic I've ever read, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Forgive me for asking, but when did Bendis apologize for his Avengers work ?
    CBR superman interview
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 05-04-2018 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I believe it might've been in an interview for his upcoming (if not already begun) Superman run, where he did at least apologize for taking too much glee or whatever in smashing up the Avengers in Disassembled so that he could then rebuild them according to his vision, back then disregarding how emotionally invested so many fans were in the Avengers.
    He should apologise to x-fans more. He completely ruined a franchise with his horrible run.

I’m ecstatic he’s going to DC Good riddance to bad rubbish. Never come back.

Extraordinary Member

This is what Bendis said recently about that first Avengers story he did:

"I’ve been thinking about this [with Avengers #500] lately,” Bendis reflected in an exclusive interview with CBR. “That was where I thought it would be oh so clever to blow everything up. Some fans liked it, and some hated it. There were a lot of arguments online, and a fan said to me, ‘We’re Avengers fans. All we buy is Avengers. And we have no idea who you are, but you came over and kicked all our toys over. You said, “Haha! This is fun, right?” And we said, “No! We were enjoying that, and you kicked everything over!"

“I’ve thought about that a lot. They weren’t wrong,” Bendis continued. “There was a criticism there that I take to heart. It’s not that I would have changed the story of Avengers, but the glee with which I did things, I could have been more cool with. So I thought about that a lot coming into this [Superman]. It’s tough when you’re coming on, but the book has been in a good place creatively. There’s nothing to blow up. There’s no reason to do that. I’m coming in strong, and big stuff is going to happen with Superman — but it doesn’t have that ‘Haha!’ attitude.”