Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member Marvel Forever's Avatar

Default Will Bendis' departure cause Marvel to fall behind DC?

Just how important is this Bendis writer? Could he possibly sway enough Marvel fans to switch to DC, so that Marvel loses it's #1 sales position to DC? Could this move eventually even impact the success of Marvel and DC films and television programs?

Extraordinary Member

No one writer is essential. Even Bendis at his sales peak wasn't so important that Marvel would fall apart without him, and he was far from his sales peak by the time he left.

The issue with Marvel is that they've lost a lot of important writing and artistic talent lately and haven't managed to replace most of it, which is why the "Fresh Start" relaunch is working mostly with writers and artists they had left.

If they can fix whatever's making it hard for them to attract and keep top talent then it won't matter that Bendis is writing Superman, any more than it killed Marvel when John Byrne left to do Superman.

Bendis hasn't been a sales juggernaut for awhile.

I imaine supes will get a a huge initial uptake but I don't think it hurts marvel sales wise. He lost his luster at Marvel.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Bendis apologized for the handling of the Avengers. So I wish him the best at his new job. Marvel will continue doing what they've always done. There will be ups and downs. The characters somewhat sell themselves.

With Aaron generally being a pretty big sales draw these days, I'm not too worried about Marvel.

I’d have said that a few years ago that DC were far, far more reliant on Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison, than Marvel have ever been on Bendis.

I don’t see Marvel sales suffering at all.

And he must have magic powers I’m not aware if he’s been significant in gulf between majority of Marvel/ DC film output in recent years!

And no...I’m not having a go at him, I’ve enjoyed some of his long runs (e.g. Alias, Daredevil, Ultimate Spider-man) much than anything I’ve read by Johns.

Yeah, I don't think one writer is going to make that much a difference. Marketing is the biggest factor, IMHO.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

I guess it depends on your tastes in writing. If you enjoy a shared universe with internal logic and continuity and respect for other writers, then your response is "Who is Bendis?"

No just no. Instead Marvel will now actually have some fresh new stories. Heck I prefer Marvel getting more new and young writers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Bendis apologized for the handling of the Avengers. So I wish him the best at his new job. Marvel will continue doing what they've always done. There will be ups and downs. The characters somewhat sell themselves.
    Forgive me for asking, but when did Bendis apologize for his Avengers work ?

I think all the contrary, IMHO.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Forgive me for asking, but when did Bendis apologize for his Avengers work ?
    I believe it might've been in an interview for his upcoming (if not already begun) Superman run, where he did at least apologize for taking too much glee or whatever in smashing up the Avengers in Disassembled so that he could then rebuild them according to his vision, back then disregarding how emotionally invested so many fans were in the Avengers.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

No. I'm actually woried for DC.

All kidding aside. No single writer carries (or sinks) a company. Not Bendis, not Johns, not Snyder (still DC's top dog at the moment, despite the hiring of Bendis), not Aaron, etc... However, editorial decisions are another story altogether.

Peace

BANNED

He's a big name for them to lose, but Marvel aren't missing out on anything quality-wise by losing him, as far as I'm concerned. There does seem to be a problem with Marvel's development of its writing talent, in that they have lots of very qualified writers, but they are incapable of propelling any of their new-ish crop of writers to the same level as Bendis, Hickman, Brubaker. Aaron would probably be the most recent writer to ascend to that level. Marvel seem to be putting a lot of stock in Donny Cates for the new relaunch, so hopefully that will bear fruit.

RE: > Will Bendis' departure cause Marvel to fall behind DC?

No. Next question.