Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Finally watched Swamp Thing...

spoilers:

Well... for what it is, it's pretty good. Really good acting, really good suspense, pretty decent story...
    But if you're looking for a straight adaptation, or even a partial adaptation, you'll be a bit disappointed...

I think the only characters that remained somewhat unchanged were Sunderland and Holland.
    The most changed would be Abby, who is now a CDC agent harboring a past guilt over a friend's death.
    Oh, and Houma is now Marais.

Madame Xanadu (or the tv equivalent) makes a cameo.
    Liz Tremayne and Matt Cable appear...

The pacing of the first episode was actually good until the end. It felt a bit too soon to have Swamp Thing appear, and it made it feel a bit campy to do it the way they did.

I'm pretty sure the person dumping the mutagen is Woodrue, and he's probably working for Sunderland.

I may watch more episodes in the future, but I'm not going to be sitting on pins and needles waiting like I did for Doom Patrol.

Final verdict:
    Actually good horror show that borrows a lot from DC's Swamp Thing.
    If you like John Carpenter films, you'll love it.
    But it's about as faithful to the original as DC's New52 series with its Biker Chick Abby.
    I think the only flaw in the first episode was the ending.
    end of spoilers
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Finally watched Swamp Thing...

spoilers:

Well... for what it is, it's pretty good. Really good acting, really good suspense, pretty decent story...
    But if you're looking for a straight adaptation, or even a partial adaptation, you'll be a bit disappointed...

I think the only characters that remained somewhat unchanged were Sunderland and Holland.
    The most changed would be Abby, who is now a CDC agent harboring a past guilt over a friend's death.
    Oh, and Houma is now Marais.

Madame Xanadu (or the tv equivalent) makes a cameo.
    Liz Tremayne and Matt Cable appear...

The pacing of the first episode was actually good until the end. It felt a bit too soon to have Swamp Thing appear, and it made it feel a bit campy to do it the way they did.

I'm pretty sure the person dumping the mutagen is Woodrue, and he's probably working for Sunderland.

I may watch more episodes in the future, but I'm not going to be sitting on pins and needles waiting like I did for Doom Patrol.

Final verdict:
    Actually good horror show that borrows a lot from DC's Swamp Thing.
    If you like John Carpenter films, you'll love it.
    But it's about as faithful to the original as DC's New52 series with its Biker Chick Abby.
    I think the only flaw in the first episode was the ending.
    end of spoilers
    It’s the same for me, i’ll watch it till it’s worth but nothing to do with how much i waited every Doom Patrol episode.
    If magic side will grow too much with Xanadu, Etrigan and John Constantine I could also leave cause it’s not my cup of tea.

More reading:

Firestorm: The Nuclear Man (1978) #3
    The first appearance of Killer Frost.
    This issue is a definite product of its time, feeling much more like a regular DC Comic at the time than the last two issues.
    The story is a bit contrived, maybe even a bit cliche. Of course, a woman named Crystal Frost would get ice powers from a laboratory accident.
    And I wondered why Firestorm didn't just pass through the ice instead of heating up to break free.
    His amateur streak shines through again as he talks out loud to Stein, leading Frost to locate him. That was actually a good bit to have to reflect his inexperience.
    Overall, though, despite the contrived plot and origin for Killer Frost, the end result was the creation of one of Firestorm's best rogues.

Retired

At the time, FIRESTORM always read to me like a Marvel book--with Gerry Conway and Al Milgrom coming over from Marvel to bring that sensibility to their creation for DC. At the same time, I was reading NOVA for the Carmine Infantino art and that felt more like a DC book.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

BREAKING: ‘Swamp Thing’ Canceled After One Season At DC Universe: https://thegww.com/breaking-swamp-th...t-dc-universe/

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    BREAKING: ‘Swamp Thing’ Canceled After One Season At DC Universe: https://thegww.com/breaking-swamp-th...t-dc-universe/
    We can't have anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    At the time, FIRESTORM always read to me like a Marvel book--with Gerry Conway and Al Milgrom coming over from Marvel to bring that sensibility to their creation for DC. At the same time, I was reading NOVA for the Carmine Infantino art and that felt more like a DC book.
    I think that was intentional. Conway and Milgrom wanted to invert the Spider-Man dynamic - have the jock be the somewhat insecure hero learning to use his powers, and have him bullied by a nerd. (Which was kind of weird - someone should have just wedgied Cliff Carmichael and shoved him in a locker.)
    Cheers - CL

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    But what creative differences? I hate this excuse for cancelling stuff. There must be something more to it.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    But what creative differences? I hate this excuse for cancelling stuff. There must be something more to it.
    It was responsible for cutting the episode count from 13 to 10. When that came up it had to due with Warner Media planning on making a streaming service of their own encompassing all of their properties. Top executives figuring out how DC Universe service will factor into it.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I read one side wanted horror probably show runners the other probably DC wanted more of a procedural type show.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

According to this thread, based on local news in NC where the show was produced, the biggest factor in its cancellation was the cost of production:

North Carolina promised a $40m tax rebate that, due to a paperwork error, they were unable to deliver. That was roughly half the proposed budget for s1 (which is estimated at $80m).
    When NC discovered the error, the corrected. WB shut down production, realizing they'd be taking a bath on the rebate and paying for far more of it than assumed. The adjusted number from NC is something like $14m. That's a massive difference.
    There won't be a s2 because it's now too expensive to maintain the levels of quality of s1, *especially* for s a niche platform, and there's no great reason to keep the production on standby when the deal in NC is no good for them anyway.

Retired

Why can't they just say the series is on hold--if they have to say anything at all. It undermines a series that is streaming right now--probably causing some people not to bother with it. It would be better to make any firm announcements after the full series had streamed. But if DC Universe is really going to go the way of the dodo, on account of a Warner service, I expect that Warner service is going to need content and the DC Universe shows are right there for them to stream. Just say that these series are on hold, but have a chance of being brought back later.

Here I thought that James Wan being involved with SWAMP THING made it the only sure thing on DC Universe. I didn't imagine he would let his name be dragged down by any failures. I would think he'd be hopping mad that he was done dirty, especially since he's Warner's fair haired boy. If this is how they treat their friends, what about their enemies?

Last edited by Lee Stone; 06-06-2019 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Loco View Post
    I think that was intentional. Conway and Milgrom wanted to invert the Spider-Man dynamic - have the jock be the somewhat insecure hero learning to use his powers, and have him bullied by a nerd. (Which was kind of weird - someone should have just wedgied Cliff Carmichael and shoved him in a locker.)
    Yeah, that's really what set Firestorm apart from other DC Comics. And most likely the reason the second series did so good.
    Conway's approach made Firestorm a relatable hero.

Must be the fourth superhero show this year I'll be skipping due to cancellation. Oh well.