Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah, that's correct. I just found out last night that my wife signed up for the beta back whenever it was first announced.

Re: "F*ck Batman" scaring away potential customers.

It might, but probably not to a truly detrimental extent. It doesn't hurt Netflix. And with such a limited catalog of programs, they're biggest audience early on is going to be (mostly) adult nerds and comic fans who aren't going to be scared off. DC Universe will be able to launch a new, more kid-friendly marketing initiative when they get closer to Young Justice's debut, using the old DCAU stuff to bolster their appeal.

The service is going to have to reach multiple audiences and demographics to survive. It just so happened that the content ready to be marketed first was the more adult stuff. But if the kid-focused stuff had been ready first, we'd be wondering if that would make adult fans turn away and look elsewhere.
    Honestly, I think the Stargirl show is the only production that seems to be geared more towards general audiences compared to the other shows, even Young Justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Honestly, I think the Stargirl show is the only production that seems to be geared more towards general audiences compared to the other shows, even Young Justice.
    True, but that's just the first wave of announcements and they still have a lot of older material to offer that is/was aimed at a younger crowd that'll be available at launch. And if you're a parent, you're not going to care if the Batman cartoon was from the 90's or the '10's, as long as it keeps your kids quiet long enough for you to take a shower.

I mean, this is still part of Didio's DC, where dark and edgy is the general order of the day. But I don't think this service is going to pigeon-hole itself that badly. If it does it'll deserve to fail (and fail it most certainly will).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah, that's correct. I just found out last night that my wife signed up for the beta back whenever it was first announced.

Re: "F*ck Batman" scaring away potential customers.

It might, but probably not to a truly detrimental extent. It doesn't hurt Netflix. And with such a limited catalog of programs, they're biggest audience early on is going to be (mostly) adult nerds and comic fans who aren't going to be scared off. DC Universe will be able to launch a new, more kid-friendly marketing initiative when they get closer to Young Justice's debut, using the old DCAU stuff to bolster their appeal.

The service is going to have to reach multiple audiences and demographics to survive. It just so happened that the content ready to be marketed first was the more adult stuff. But if the kid-focused stuff had been ready first, we'd be wondering if that would make adult fans turn away and look elsewhere.
    Will that be before or after the price hike?

So when do POC & LGBT get their shows? Or do those looking for that go to Marvel?

If they had kid stuff first-WHO CARES ABOUT that 45 year old geek?

Mom, Dad, Granny, Uncle, Foster parents and so on for buy stuff for kids.

There are plenty of adults who watch Arthur on PBS, Power Rangers, My Little Pony and so on.

I need KIDS first.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    So my question is how much were they trying to make Titans a selling point for their service? For me everything else sold it for me and 15 months for $75 came to $5 a month so for the comics movies and tv shows of previous released material that works for me. The reaction to the trailer is overwhelmingly bad there is no denying that. I’m just curious how much they were hoping this trailer would sell subscriptions. I feel like many at least here will be like me who were sold on the other content mainly.
    I think the YJ trailer today more than made up for it. I wouldn't be surprised if the subscription received an influx of Subs after that...
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Probably the same time.

So when do POC & LGBT get their shows? Or do those looking for that go to Marvel?
    Not a clue. But odds are we'll probably have to stay with Marvel for those shows. Hell, considering the general quality of DC live-action, staying with Marvel should be our general reaction to anything DC puts out on tv or stream anyway.

That 45 year old geek is going to spend more money on merchandise and content than the kid is. He's got a job, not an allowance, no one is going to tell him "spending $120 on that Wonder Woman statue is a bad idea and I won't let you do it" and he's an already established source of profit. He's a sure sale. The kid probably isn't. The 45 year old geek is also more likely to continue to spend money on the content and services, rather than coming home from school one day with a brand new favorite thing he just discovered that'll take all of his money for the next three months until he finds a new thing.

And there'll be plenty of commercials pushing the cartoons and whatever else the service creates for that audience.

It's not an either-or thing. They released a trailer for a product that was specifically designed for the SDCC audience; geeky adults. Had they been at a convention that more kids attend, that was focused on kids, they would've pushed different content.

And they still gave us the Young Justice trailer, so they're hitting both ends of their potential market. The Titans trailer just hit a day sooner. That's all.

There are plenty of adults who watch Arthur on PBS, Power Rangers, My Little Pony and so on.
    And those adults will also be (potentially) watching the more mature shows too. So again, nothing lost.

I need KIDS first.
    Business doesn't care what you, individually, need first.

Now, I actually agree; I'd have pushed the kid content first. Actually, I'd have pushed both the same day, so audiences would know that this service has range and neither end debuting sooner would create a bias. But to my knowledge there's no business theory that says this particular format, with this particular IP bench, needs to draw the attention of any particular demographic first. Push the kid content first or the adult content first, the end result is going to be largely the same.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

With the Fox buyout with Disney confirmed I think DC needs to get DC Universe international as quickly as possible, because they're going to have a hard enough time battling them if they're worldwide, never mind only in the USA. Plus it reduces the risk of anyone outside the US pirating all the exclusive stuff...

Mighty Member

DC Universe’s ‘Titans’ Release Date Officially Revealed

Tonight on the first ever episode of DC Daily, the premiere date for DC Universe’s flagship series Titans was finally revealed.

Titans follows a group of young superheroes from all over the DC Universe as Dick Grayson emerges from the shadows to become the leader of a fearless team known as the Titans. Geoff Johns, Akiva Goldsman and Greg Berlanti have written the series, with The Machinist helmer Brad Anderson having directed the pilot.

The 12-episode first season is officially set to drop on DC’s new streaming service on October 12.
    Last edited by Beantownbrown; 08-29-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

I need KIDS first.
    Have you not seen Viexen or the Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Also Batwoman is getting a show.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed with the comics section of DC Universe. Seriously? Only #1 issues? Everyone has already read All-Star Superman #1 and Dark Knight Returns #1. How is this supposed to get new readers?

I was expecting a rotating array of storylines, but I guess that's not happening. I might not be getting this actually.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    I gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed with the comics section of DC Universe. Seriously? Only #1 issues? Everyone has already read All-Star Superman #1 and Dark Knight Returns #1. How is this supposed to get new readers?

I was expecting a rotating array of storylines, but I guess that's not happening. I might not be getting this actually.
    The comics section is going to be pretty barebones comic newbie stuff for a while I would think. Get all the "greatest" hits out for people who say they read comics when in reality they just read other people's accounts of reading books.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Kevin smith will do a news and talk show on the app.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/dc-uni...eaming-service

A look at the app.

Info from the video-

You can download shows and comics for off online view.
    Read comics on your tv full or panel at a time
    Will have a wiki type "whos who" page for those who are new to comics.
    Will have a message board on the app
    Fans can vote on future comics
    Will come to xbox/ps4 later

DC universe will not be the only read comics on tv app. IDW, boom, manga and other team up to make their own! (marvel in now behind on the "read comics on tv" craze!)

Looks like someone is challenging dc's "comics on tv" part of the app.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    To be fair it felt like they did the most minimal effort with Vixen. At least cartoons can spring for 15 min an episode. DC couldn't even give Vixen 10 min. Vixens first season was like a total of 30 min.