Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast

It's really a shame because if people that don't read comics drop DCUniverse over Swamp Thing, it's could potentially jeopardize things for people that wanted a 'DC Unlimited' comics service.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Cancelling a show (or comic for that matter) is an instant interest killer for some folks though. For example, I have a tendency to lose interest in comics that are cancelled so I drop them. Now there may be some people who are cancelling as a knee-jerk response to all of this of course but I really can't fault those who are cancelling because they feel watching Swamp Thing is now a pointless endeavor.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

And now...
    AT&T is reevaluating DC Universe...

My opinion...
    DC Universe is having a rough time.
    Warner already has deals with other outlets, primarily HBO, for DC movies.
    The CW shows are out of Warner's control, as CW has their own deal set up with Netflix.

As a digital video streaming service, DC Universe is very limited in what they have access to.
    And this access is controlled primarily through Warner, which doesn't seem to consider DC Universe as an important outlet (because they're more in-house which means less profits).

Meanwhile, they started with very little original content and shows cost money to make (see Swamp Thing). This means it may be a good year or two before they have a sizable backlog of original shows (translation: video content that Warner can't take away because someone else offers to pay more).

When the service started, it was primarily a source for video content.
    But when it became apparent that video content was going to be very difficult to secure, a deal was struck with sister company DC Comics to make DC Universe more of a DC version of Marvel Unlimited.

Now, with the news of Swamp Thing and AT&T's reevaluation...
    Combined with WarnerMedia's own streaming service being on the horizon...
    I'm expecting some changes to happen.

I really wouldn't be surprised if they decide to split the video and comics, putting the video content on WarnerMedia (and letting them deal with the fan backlash when movies go to HBO first) and rebranding DC Universe as 'Ultimate DC' and limiting it to comics as a direct competitor to Marvel Unlimited.

Retired

I feel sorry for Adam Gertler.

I hope budget issues don't impact the other DC Universe productions...I mean, I imagine Stargirl will probably need a sizeable budget.

I also hope the creators on Swamp Thing were able to close out the series satisfactorily with the cut down episode count and getting outright ended.

The forum at DC Universe has been blowing up all day.

And an 'official' response from one of the mods:

Hi friends,

A million thanks for your patience. We understand this has not been an easy time for you as fans, and I will do my best to provide you with a satisfying answer.

First, some updates:

�� The full 10 episode season of Swamp Thing will continue to air on DC Universe with new episodes released weekly. There are no current plans for a Season 2.

�� We appreciate there are questions as to "why", but unfortunately we are not in a position to answer at this time.

And now, the good news:

�� DC Universe continues to develop new shows, new seasons, new stories, more availability, and more platforms. We’ve got a lot of exciting plans for our other shows in the works, and look forward to sharing more in the coming months.

That's all the information I have to share at this time. Now that you have the goods, we will be going back through the threads and removing the false rumors and speculation that this choice means DC Universe or any of our other original series were affected.

Feel free to ask questions in the comments below, and I will answer to the best of my ability. ❤️
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 06-06-2019 at 04:42 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    The forum at DC Universe has been blowing up all day.

And an 'official' response from one of the mods:
    I bet soon they won't have a DC Universe forum to moderate.

If they are looking it over-they might as well move Doom Patrol & Star Girl & Young Justice off it.

Not like they can't move those show to channels that they own.

Arrow & Supernaural are ending on the CW-couldn't Star Girl fit there? Nothing should prevent a Young Justice summer run on the CW.

Extraordinary Member

It's really a shame because if people that don't read comics drop DCUniverse over Swamp Thing, it's could potentially jeopardize things for people that wanted a 'DC Unlimited' comics service.
    they could have waited until San diego comic con to announce this

this is sabotage

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Cancelling a show (or comic for that matter) is an instant interest killer for some folks though. For example, I have a tendency to lose interest in comics that are cancelled so I drop them. Now there may be some people who are cancelling as a knee-jerk response to all of this of course but I really can't fault those who are cancelling because they feel watching Swamp Thing is now a pointless endeavor.
    Its understandable today, I wont start a show unless I know it has two season, things get cancelled so quick i dont even want to bother with it

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I hope budget issues don't impact the other DC Universe productions...I mean, I imagine Stargirl will probably need a sizeable budget.

I also hope the creators on Swamp Thing were able to close out the series satisfactorily with the cut down episode count and getting outright ended.
    Geoff Johns has hands directly init it will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I bet soon they won't have a DC Universe forum to moderate.

If they are looking it over-they might as well move Doom Patrol & Star Girl & Young Justice off it.

Not like they can't move those show to channels that they own.

Arrow & Supernaural are ending on the CW-couldn't Star Girl fit there? Nothing should prevent a Young Justice summer run on the CW.
    CW would have to view the pilot and then approve it.
    DC Universe gave DC/Warner a place to put shows on that the networks might not be interested in.

CW would have to view the pilot and then approve it.
    DC Universe gave DC/Warner a place to put shows on that the networks might not be interested in.
    Yeah, like...how else were they going to bring back Young Justice? Certainly not on Cartoon Network.

They could have used Netflix which, at the time, seemed like the obvious choice but WB wanted to keep it internal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    they could have waited until San diego comic con to announce this

this is sabotage
    I agree. They could've just kept quiet about it until the season ended and then just say that a season 2 was being considered, while turning everyone's attention to Star Girl, Harley Quinn, Young Justice, Titans and Doom Patrol.

I think the catalyst was that someone posted a rumor on Twitter, it got expanded on and then DC Universe got questioned about it.
    It also didn't help that AT&T and Warner's meeting to reevaluate DC Universe was made public, also.
    But DC Universe inadvertently caused a loss of millions of dollars, making the service a liability.

Granted (no pun intended), it was really from no fault of their own.
    But as suits can be, they put the blame on the person they can hold accountable.
    Which would be DC Universe.

Brendan Fraser has joined the cast of an original series for a Scandinavian streaming service call Viaplay.
    The Professionals, a loose remake of 2012's Soldiers of Fortune, is a 10-part series and currently filming in South Africa and Ireland.

https://www.cbr.com/fraser-welling-j...ortune-remake/
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 06-06-2019 at 05:26 PM.

Meanwhile... the future of Doom Patrol is now questionable...
    Brendan Fraser has joined the cast of an original series for a Scandinavian streaming service call Viaplay.
    https://www.cbr.com/fraser-welling-j...ortune-remake/
    On the positive, good to see Brendan Fraser getting out there .

Although with how Robotman works it's not like he needs to be a major physical presence on set. Just record a few lines and send it in.