Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Exclamation Swamp Thing by James Wan

swamp-thing-logo_5aea1adecdf946.58428632.jpg

When CDC researcher Abby Arcane returns to her childhood home of Houma, Louisiana, in order to investigate a deadly swamp-borne virus, she develops a surprising bond with scientist Alec Holland—only to have him tragically taken from her. But as powerful forces descend on Houma, intent on exploiting the swamp’s mysterious properties for their own purposes, Abby will discover that the swamp holds mystical secrets, both horrifying and wondrous—and the potential love of her life may not be dead after all.

Swamp Thing is the latest original series to be announced for the DC Universe digital experience, and it comes to us care of a name that DC (and horror) fans will likely know—James Wan, who will serve as an Executive Producer of the series along with Mark Verheiden (Ash vs. The Evil Dead, Daredevil, Constantine), Gary Dauberman (It, Annabelle: Creation) and Michael Clear (Lights Out, Annabelle: Creation).

Wan’s Swamp Thing series is scheduled to debut in 2019, and is the fifth original series announced for DC Universe, DC’s upcoming digital service (the name of which was just revealed today), and will come on the heels of Titans, Young Justice: Outsiders, Harley Quinn and Metropolis. DC Universe promises to be a first-of-its-kind digital experience designed with DC fans in mind, of which the announced original series will be an exciting part. Fans can find out more about membership by visiting www.DCUniverse.com and signing up for updates and by following DC Universe on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/0...on-DC-Universe

Sounds awesome! Maybe I’ll have to cough up the money for this new streaming service.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I kinda wish this was animated. I feel like a live action Swampy needs a lot of CGI to be pulled off right... then again maybe they have a fat budget and can do it. We shall wait and see...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

This sounds fucking AWESOME. I am there.

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for this.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

I still have bad memories of the original Swamp Thing movie (which I paid good money to see in the theaters when it was originally released) . . .

shudder!

Can't say I saw this coming .

But it is pretty cool to see DC developing something like this with Swamp Thing, and this is definitely in Wan's wheelhouse .

I'm curious to see how they'll handle Swampy...will he be all CGI? Or a mix of CG and practical effects? And will the budget be able to cover Swamp Thing ?

Interesting that they're connecting Abigail directly to a pre-Swamp Thing Alec Holland. I guess that will lead to a cleaner segue into their Gothic Romance.

Been developing this “vegetarian hero” for a while now With a great team. Happy to finally share. Expect — mood, mystery, gothic romance, and swamp monsters!
    Damn straight. More horror than anything. - James Wan

Fantastic Member

Big Swamp Thing fan here but only ever watched the first movie and never the tv series. This, however makes the streaming service look all the more enticing.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I still have bad memories of the original Swamp Thing movie (which I paid good money to see in the theaters when it was originally released) . . .

shudder!
    I didn't hate this movie. I thought it was er, ok.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I kinda wish this was animated. I feel like a live action Swampy needs a lot of CGI to be pulled off right... then again maybe they have a fat budget and can do it. We shall wait and see...
    Agreed. I feel like with the right artists, they can still make animation to be spooky, chilling and dour. I'll definitely be keeping up with this though.

I never knew there was a movie. I only watched the tv series, and I don't remember anything except the opening because I was still a plankton back then.

Can’t wait to see it! Gee it’s a quick turnaround from announcement to premiere tho

Incredible Member

PLEASE let this be aired in the UK! If DCUniverse were available here I'd have already signed on just to be able to watch this show. I don't care about anything else.

Fantastic Member

UK here as well. More than availability of streaming, I'm hoping eventually home release for all these titles.